August trip....am I crazy?

We used to go in August every year. Yeah, it's hot. Just know where to get some AC breaks during the day.
This!
We've done WDW in August 2019 and 2020. Last year was a little unique but the year before was normal. We pretty much stay in the parks all day but plan to do rides with indoor queues, eat a late lunch ADR in lieu of a full dinner, and see indoor shows during the hottest parts of the day. (Hopefully, we'll see more of the latter by August :)). It's hot, but we don't find it too different than where we are near DC and it's maybe a little hotter than NY July and early August days from what I recall from living there.

The one thing that gets us in FL is the daily rainstorms...but we've also found it's a great time to be in the parks since they tend to clear out. Definitely bring ponchos if you do it!

We like Universal, but probably not enough to spend all our time there. With Express Pass, 2 days is more than enough, and without it, we're pretty much ready to move on after 3 days or want days off in between (the one trip we did that was primarily Universal, we ran down to WDW for a day - that was Christmas Eve - and spent 2 at the beach).

You could not pay me to go anywhere near Disney Oct-Dec this year. With the anniversary and revenge travel it is gonna be a zoo. Every day is going to be like New Year’s crowds. Unless you have to go on the ratatouille ride, come join me on team August!

If you want cute pictures though... you don't really get them in August. Your hair... your clothes... everything is sweaty.
That’s what the “disney hairstyle” is for. You see everyone with it—braided pigtails to keep hair tightly coiled up so it doesn’t get all frizzy or sweaty. You also want to be wearing moisture wicking clothes in a poly blend rather than cotton—looks no different dry or wet, dries super fast after the rain gets you, and keeps you cool.

You could not pay me to go anywhere near Disney Oct-Dec this year. With the anniversary and revenge travel it is gonna be a zoo. Every day is going to be like New Year’s crowds. Unless you have to go on the ratatouille ride, come join me on team August!

That’s what the “disney hairstyle” is for. You see everyone with it—braided pigtails to keep hair tightly coiled up so it doesn’t get all frizzy or sweaty. You also want to be wearing moisture wicking clothes in a poly blend rather than cotton—looks no different dry or wet, dries super fast after the rain gets you, and keeps you cool.
EXACTLY about those crowds once the 50th begins. ...I am always in Brooks sneakers because of bad back/knees/feet. I think I would need some kind of waterproof sandal? Because soggy tennis shoes sounds miserable.

EXACTLY about those crowds once the 50th begins. ...I am always in Brooks sneakers because of bad back/knees/feet. I think I would need some kind of waterproof sandal? Because soggy tennis shoes sounds miserable.
I wouldn't survive without waterproof sandals in the summer! It rains every. single. day. I remember one time we went in November and I figured it was dry season and wore regular shoes... it started pouring and my poor feet were squelching around all night.

We live in the northeast (hour north of Boston). We have been to Disney in April/May/November but never in the heat of the summer. How bad is the heat and humidity? If you had the choice between Disney in August or Universal during Thanksgiving week(Disney resorts sold out)....what would you pick? Conflicted with the weather in August but also the crowds of Thanksgiving! It would just be a quick summer trip....5 nights....4 day base tickets to celebrate milestone birthday. Then we go back next spring for a full week with hoppers and possibly will do Universal for 2 nights on that trip. We aren't sure what we will think of Universal but know we love and miss Disney!
I'm coming in July. No interest in Universal, so anytime I can do WDW, it's good. Yes!! It's HOT. I carry a washrag with me everyday in the parks. Waterparks a must!

We have gone in summer the past 10 years because of school. It’s hot and humid but we manage. We usually go to the park in the morning, take a break at the resort and go back at night.
We take misting fans with ice water and make dining reservations to get in out of the heat. That is a good way to refresh and cool down.
The one thing that was a bit irritating was when we took our midday break at the resort they usually closed the pool because of lightening. It always seemed to close when we were back at the resort ready to swim 🙄. I remember once sitting in the room waiting for a monsoon to pass 😂. The rain was coming down in sheets!

We have gone in summer the past 10 years because of school. It’s hot and humid but we manage. We usually go to the park in the morning, take a break at the resort and go back at night.
We take misting fans with ice water and make dining reservations to get in out of the heat. That is a good way to refresh and cool down.
The one thing that was a bit irritating was when we took our midday break at the resort they usually closed the pool because of lightening. It always seemed to close when we were back at the resort ready to swim 🙄. I remember once sitting in the room waiting for a monsoon to pass 😂. The rain was coming down in sheets!
Yeah, summer trips require a very good weather app! Knowing when the rain is due is key.

I live a half hour north of Boston. We've gone in May, August, and September. May is nice, August was unbearable and I like the heat, and September was pretty hot with around 100% humidity at times - but it rained at least once every day. Like others have said, most parks have AC'd places where you can cool off a bit. We've also used the cooling towels and neck fans, they work well too. Going in October this year, I heard the weather is nice! Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

wow...you boston area people are real troupers - I'm impressed. :worship:I'm a FL native - we're talking several decades living here - and I absolutely hide in AC from late July through Oct 1st every year, other than the beach. It's the time of year I dread most.

I love the parks, but if they literally paid me to visit during August, I'd send the money back.:rotfl:

Humidity is what makes it extra miserable for me: May/June is hot, but fine. Combine unpleasant, sticky humidity, unbearably hot pavement with too little shade and what feels to me like inadequate AC (WDW AC indoors usually feels too warm to me,) with the crowds and I find myself less patient/tolerant than usual re: slow lines or rude guests.

The hotter it is, the less tolerant most guests are as well - when I did go a few times in summer years ago, I felt like I saw many more family meltdowns, guests screaming at CMs or other guests, more adults angry. Most people aren't used to Fl heat and aren't prepared.

I'd take huge crowds during Thanksgiving any time - but then again, I love the holidays, park decorations and it's cooler, so I'm already in a way better frame of mind.

For several years we had to take school terms into consideration due to having students - and a teacher - in the family. And we have multiple summer birthdays as well. So summer is a familiar time for us to visit. Yes it is uncomfortable, but we have similar weather here in PA (although not quite as humid and we usually get a bit of a break once in a while ;)).

It is not my preferred trip time, but we have made it work. I don’t push myself past my personal limit. One of our last pre-COVID trips was the first week of August 2019 and it was scorching hot. I do remember thinking as I stood in a long, hot line for “Small World” - “I must be crazy!!”:rolleyes2 but the kids were in heaven and totally oblivious to anything but gleeful anticipation of the ride. So I try to keep things in perspective. Pack your patience along with water and sunscreen. Use the weather as an excuse to eat more frozen treats. And remember you’re in WDW and that’s just plain awesome!:flower1:

Thank you everyone! Still trying to decide! The only cons for a summer WDW are weather and expensive flights.

I also have to wear serious running shoes in the parks, and have taken to clipping a pair of cheap flip flops to my backpack. They’re totally fine for as long as the rain lasts, weigh nothing, and drip themselves dry in minutes once I put the sneakers back on.

We live in New England and like going in August. Remember that a lot of queues and rides are inside in the air conditioning, so you get many breaks from the heat. We also like to do a table service lunch for a good break.

Timely thread as I’m just thinking about booking August 2022. I’ve come to love our late summer trips. I go with just my kids as dh hates the heat and it actually brings on anaphylactic attacks in him.

I have no interest in UO so it’s WDW in August for my vote. Start early, take a looonnng break and finish late. We differ in that we don’t want to swim midday. Too many people, too hot and the pool is like human soup—Yuck! Instead we plan a pool morning where we end up having the freshly chlorinated pool to ourselves! It’s heavenly. Our afternoon breaks are spent siesta style—watching tv, napping, enjoying the cool dvc villa.

We then head back out for evenings, which are much better without the sun. Still hot no doubt, but manageable.

These August trips have been magical with my kids and I cherish them. Have fun!

I also have to wear serious running shoes in the parks, and have taken to clipping a pair of cheap flip flops to my backpack. They’re totally fine for as long as the rain lasts, weigh nothing, and drip themselves dry in minutes once I put the sneakers back on.
I LOVE this idea! Thank you! If I go messing with different shoes ALL day long I worry I'll mess up all my old injuries.

We ended up booking Universal for Nov. BUT I still have Disney in August on my mind.....found decent airfare but it's Frontier.....and lands at 11pm at MCO.....After the last 4 days in the heat wave, I totally think we'd be ok. Disney/FL AC is much better than little window units and of course there are resort pools, water parks etc.

That's one of the reasons I took the risk and did a trip in July. Going to Disney in the fall this year will be a MAD HOUSE. Then come October 1st with the 50th anniversary and people traveling more, it's gonna have Christmas day type of crowds in every park which just wouldn't be enjoyable in my eyes.

And then you add the flood when countries open their borders. I can't imagine.
I just hope everyone gets it out of their system this year. Although I'm not holding my breath. When we booked a house, I looked at the booked calendar for several. The ones I liked, were at least 50% booked every month until Nov 2022. Near 100% next summer.

But to the general question, yes a trip this August is nuts. I'm from the Dallas area. We went to USF late August last year just because of low Hagrid's wait times. The low crowds were great. The weather was miserable. Although the masks made it worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter