Attraction effects Disney installed but doesn't use ( w/pics if possible )

Ok I got another one. It will probably be gone or changed now since it is being refurbished. It involves Spaceship Earth. When you get close to the end before your car turns around so you are facing backwards and goes down the big hill to the bottom of the ball, there is a big picture of the earth and underneath it is a large space between you and the projection of earth. Besides the earth everything is pitch black.

From what I remember that large black area was some kind of futuristic model of a city or something. It's been so long since I saw it. Now when you ride by, the space is so large that when you look at it you could swear that there was something there at one time.

I could also be completely wrong. I hope there is someone out there to confirm this.

Joe says it used to be a diorama of men in spacesuits on the surface of the moon, with what looked like a permanent moon colony building.

I can't imagine why they took that out?? Seems like it would be an excellent thing for Siemens to add back in! Would make that scene way better.

Joe says it used to be a diorama of men in spacesuits on the surface of the moon, with what looked like a permanent moon colony building.

I can't imagine why they took that out?? Seems like it would be an excellent thing for Siemens to add back in! Would make that scene way better.

I don't remember that scene but I would be hard pressed to think that they could improve on the present thing. The blackness of space with the bright blue marble (earth) in the middle. I am not usually impressed by many things but that scene gets me every time.

I don't remember that scene but I would be hard pressed to think that they could improve on the present thing. The blackness of space with the bright blue marble (earth) in the middle. I am not usually impressed by many things but that scene gets me every time.

I'm not sure if I have better night vision than most people, but I don't see the blackness of space -- I see a giant odd shaped structure covered with ugly, dusty black tarps!

I agree with you! With the music in the background it makes me tear up a little. And the sad part is I have no idea why!

Several years ago, an idea was put in place to try to take ride photos of guests (for purchase) on Haunted Mansion.

The camera was installed behind the glass where you have a ghost riding with you. The camera was installed with the plans (already created) to eventually build a post-ride store (this has been put on hold due to the budget of the recent refurb).

The camera has never been activated and may have just been removed during the recent refurb.

I wish they would have used this. I would have loved a picture with out ghost host!

I miss the burning cabin. :sad:

But, since the original story was the indians in the area had set it on fire, it's probably not really appropriate anymore.

I sincerely hope they redo Tom Sawyer Island as a pirate island, like at DL, and add back some kind of fire feature, though! What a great thing at night those flames were, especially from BTMRR!

I don't particulary care for the "Pirate's Lair" at Disneyland. It makes no sense to have pirates in the middle of the "Rivers of America". The pirates should stay confined to POC, IMO.

On Dinosaur (Countdown to Extinction...as it will always be for me), the teradactyl is actually supposed to fly towards you... It worked for about a month when the ride first opened then was locked down because there were too many issues with it, so you see it there, as you go under it, but it does not actually fly towards you....

...I remember this....

I'm not sure if I have better night vision than most people, but I don't see the blackness of space -- I see a giant odd shaped structure covered with ugly, dusty black tarps!

No, it is visable if I choose to see it but I don't. It's called, "willing suspension of disbelief". You have to call for the kid inside to become the dominent influence in what you acknowledge. :cool2: :)

I sincerely hope they redo Tom Sawyer Island as a pirate island, like at DL, and add back some kind of fire feature, though! What a great thing at night those flames were, especially from BTMRR!

Can't happen. At DL Tom Sawyer Island is directly across from POTC but at WDW POTC is in a totally different land and can't be seen from the island. The DL pirates only had to cross a path and the river to invade the island, they'd have to invade Frontierland before they could invade Tom Sawyer Island at WDW. Disney has said that they won't do a pirate's theme to WDW's Tom Sawyer Island and that is why.

Cabin on fire, I believe, in Feb, during the Pirates and Princess Party. I sometimes see it lit during the day, but not too often.;) I believe it was lit in August too, if I am not mistaken, I saw it riding the train around MK.;)

Can't happen. At DL Tom Sawyer Island is directly across from POTC but at WDW POTC is in a totally different land and can't be seen from the island. The DL pirates only had to cross a path and the river to invade the island, they'd have to invade Frontierland before they could invade Tom Sawyer Island at WDW. Disney has said that they won't do a pirate's theme to WDW's Tom Sawyer Island and that is why.

They have other plans for tom sawyers island more closely related to frontier land.

We are another family that in SIX trips we have NEVER managed to catch the "cowboy" scene on GMR. That is one of DS11's favorite rides so we have been on it numerous times.

In August we got to "skip the line" as part of a "dream". The Dream Squad CM took us in through the exit and we got to hop right in. She even asked the CMs running the ride if it would be possible for us to see the "cowboy" scene but we would have had to wait for several more trains to go through so we just went ahead and did the gangster. Again.:rolleyes: ;)

On my last few trips the smoke ring effect wasn't being used in the Winnie the Pooh ride-

this is a great list!

No, it is visable if I choose to see it but I don't. It's called, "willing suspension of disbelief". You have to call for the kid inside to become the dominent influence in what you acknowledge. :cool2: :)

All joking aside, now I'm really curious about what may or may not be covered up at the climax of Spaceship Earth. It always seems so empty there, like there should be something at the very top.

Anyone got more info?

She even asked the CMs running the ride if it would be possible for us to see the "cowboy" scene but we would have had to wait for several more trains to go through so we just went ahead and did the gangster. Again.:rolleyes: ;)
That is what we did. When we got to the front of the line, we just asked to see the Cowboy scene. We waiting for one extra set of cars to go thru (5 minutes) and was able to see it. But on our last trip, they were only running the Gangster scene.

Another effect that isn't used often isn't really an effect so much. It is the Sword in the Stone by Cinderella's Golden Carrousel. There used to be a show with Merlin where kids would be called up to try to pull the sword from the stone. A luck kid would and would win a prize. I understand that every so often the sword can be pulled and sometimes the lucky person wins a prize.

My DS did that when went went one Christmas years ago. He got a medal and a certificate naming him king for the day. It was the highlight of his trip and he still talks about it every time we go to Disney. (He was 7 and is now 22) For a while, it seemed that the show was a regular but I haven't noticed it lately.

Pulling the sword from the stone is now a Magical Moment led by a CM and whoever pulls it gets a certificate.

Bumping because I love this thread and I want to hear more:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter