Atlanta Airport...short layover

We have flown thru ATL.
We have done this with short layovers, like about an hour.

Two things.....
If you are flying check-thru domestic... (one ticket, same airline for both flights) You probably will not have to change terminals.
Should probably be a fairly quick walk over.
No time for stopping, snack, etc...

If you are booking this as one ticket/trip on one airline, they should be aware of the necessary layover time, and not book flights with an insufficient layover. When you pull up the flights, do you see the lay-over FLAGGED in any way?

International flights would require riding the tram over to the International terminal.

Secondly, I would hope that the airline knows that passengers are due from one flight from the next....
So, they should not close the gate if they know you are there somewhere, heading to the gate to board.

One small thing....
The shorter the layover, the shorter the time they have to get your luggage transfered onto the plane.
Thank goodness our luggage followed us, with a fairly short layover, on our last International flight to the Caribbean...
But, even with a longer layover time, it did not make it onto our plane from ATL onto the short flight home?????
I think it was DELTA.
It has been my experience with Delta and in Atlanta that they will not hold the gate for a passenger. Even when they are late and even though they know your late flight has landed.

It has been my experience with Delta and in Atlanta that they will not hold the gate for a passenger. Even when they are late and even though they know your late flight has landed.

They don't want to do that because any delay just snowballs into problems down the line. However, if it's a guaranteed connection, they'll try to make it right.

41 minutes in Atlanta just seems like a bad idea. I'd prefer nonstop, but would look for a connection with a longer window.

I would look for a longer window, especially if you're not familiar with the airport. On my last few flights (the past couple of months), they kept making people gate-check their carry-ons. It was mostly the huge ones that people are taking so they don't have to check luggage. This may be less of an issue on Southwest, but I flew American each time. There's always a long line to pick these back up.

I also think it depends on where you're sitting on the first plane (again, not such an issue with Southwest, but maybe worth paying extra for early boarding). If you're in the back, it could take a good 10 minutes to get off, once the plane starts deboarding, and then you could possibly be racing to a far-off terminal.

To me, it's just too many variables. Maybe if I were traveling alone, knew the airport, had confidence my gates were close together, and could be flexible about my arrival time (if there's a later flight, would I be fine?). If I had to deal with young children (strollers, potty breaks, etc.), no way.

The airline would not sell you that connection if it did not meet the minimum connection transfer time for Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. That minimum time is 35 minutes for a domestic to domestic flight.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/del...er-time-atlanta-atl-definitive-thread-59.html
Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330, 747, 777, or an internationally-configured 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.​

I agree with most - if all goes exactly according to plan and you're not having to change terminals, you could make it, but any number of things could go wrong (and often do) that would put you in danger of missing your connection. IMHO, it wouldn't be worth the stress.

The airline would not sell you that connection if it did not meet the minimum connection transfer time for Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. That minimum time is 35 minutes for a domestic to domestic flight.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/del...er-time-atlanta-atl-definitive-thread-59.html
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330, 747, 777, or an internationally-configured 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.​

They'll sell it to you, and they'll also give you a guilt trip when the connection is missed. They lectured me like a parent and explained "that's why at least 1 hour is recommended for all connections".

They can try and make me feel guilty all they want, I won't.

I've never had an issue with a missed connection or flight. I have pretty good luck with airlines trying really hard to get me where I'm going. I also fly fully refundable, transferable full freight fares.

Last edited:
People who pay for their own tickets rarely, if ever, buy those fares.

Just my experience. I buy them (honestly, with points/miles) now for personal travel or to fly friends/family. That way if we want to stay a day, move the flight, whatever, we've got flexibility. I was more trying to point out that the airlines are actually really good at trying to get people where they need to go. All that foolishness earlier this year not withstanding. If people are concerned about travel, a full fare is a great option.

We are looking at buying tickets to Orlando, Florida for our next Disney trip. We would have a 41 minute layover in Atlanta. Is that long enough to get from one flight to the next in an airport that large ?
When going through Atlanta as a connection flight it's been with Delta. {Edit: There are} flights from my airport through Delta through their Atlanta hub are tight (under an hr- ETA: or right around the hr mark). I don't like to have connections that are tight like that but I have done them-but I get really antsy.

Doesn't Delta have flights every hours between ATL and MCO? If you miss your flight they will just put you on the next one.

I fly Delta through Atlanta, and I have successfully made a domestic connection that tight. That doesn't mean I enjoyed the experience. If your first flight is delayed, you're going to have to haul it to the next gate, and that means do not stop to get a coffee, go to the bathroom, etc. Power walk to your next gate, and THEN if you have time...indulge yourself.

If your connecting ticket is on the same confirmation, the airline should still get you where you need to go if you miss the connection.

You'll be fine...unless you're one of those people who need to show up at the airport an hour and half early for a basic domestic flight to just hang out...ugh. As long as its domestic, I could do easily make that and probably have a drink and grab something for the next flight in between. I'm a VERY jaded business traveler though, who does not sweat such things, this wouldn't have even blipped my radar, and I firmly believe the last one on the flight who didn't have to check their luggage - wins, so, as always, take my flight advice with a grain of salt. I have friends I ADORE traveling with - but we won't go to the airport together. Either they're FREAKING OUT we'll miss the flight, or I'm pissed as all hell we're hanging at the airport needlessly. I usually fly Southwest and have mastered breezing up when Business Select is boring - and not a MINUTE before. Also, they load flights all the time, and its ATL, if your flight does get delayed? Big whoop - catch the next one in an hour.

Given that the OP hasn't said what airline they are on or where they are flying to, this advice is useless. Sure, there is a flight in an hour but is it on their airline they are flying or to the city they want to go?

I've never had an issue with a missed connection or flight. I have pretty good luck with airlines trying really hard to get me where I'm going. I also fly fully refundable, transferable full freight fares.

I've never really heard of an airline laying a guilt trip on a passenger for booking a fare with a guaranteed connection, even if it is tight. It's almost any airline's policy that they'll attempt to accommodate any passenger on the next flight if the connection is missed because of a tight window. Almost all the major airlines also have a more or less unofficial "flat tire rule" where arriving at the gate less than two hours late means being accommodated standby on the next available flight.

What I would worry about is that some online travel agencies book non-interlined flights with different airlines. I've heard that sometimes such flights will be selected because they yield the best fares, but they're not treated the same as connecting flights booked together on the same airline. There may be no guarantee if a flight is delayed but the next flight takes off on time, and the baggage may not be checked through to the destination.

All due respect, you are talking one person, flying Business Class. It's a different world than flying in coach, especially with a family. Again, we don't know the specifics of the OP's travel (what airline, number of travelers, etc.). But I can tell you, flying full-fare makes sense for business travel--meetings can go long, plans can change, frequently you're booking last minute, etc. When you have a set vacation budget, it doesn't make sense to sink precious dollars into airline travel when there are so many other expenses. Also, finding a seat for one person on a later flight is much easier than trying to shoehorn in a family of 4 or more--especially if some of the family members can't realistically sit by themselves or need extra accommodations (wheelchair, stroller, oxygen, etc.)

I think you are giving her poor advice. To have a scheduled lay over if 41 mins in Atlanta is taking a huge chance. The odds are even that they will miss that flight. If it's for a Disney vacation she may have children along. It's a risk that I wouldn't take or advise anyone to take.

Do you live in Atlanta and use Hartsfield a lot? No, the odds are NOT that they will miss a flight and it is not bad advice. As I stated earlier, I live here and fly in and out a lot. Since OP will not have to go through security a second time, moving around isn't that hard. It's not wall to wall people like MK on 4th of July, so it's easy to hustle through the airport. If they only have to change gates within the same terminal, it'll be a breeze with 41 minutes. If they have to change terminals, it's still quite doable. Let the flight attendant know you have a transfer and they'll assist you in getting off the plane. They can also alert the gate agent at the connecting flight that you are on your way.

Is 41 minutes optimal? No. But it's very realistic and not hard to do.

I travel for work and go through Atlanta sometimes and it's one of my favorite airports. I find it easy to navigate and can go between terminals relatively quickly. I agree that 41 minutes is very borderline and I'd certainly be more comfortable with a longer layover, but if it's your only option or the price difference is huge for a different flight ($100 or more per person IMO), then I'd go with it. Logistically, it's definitely possible. But there are lots of variables that have to go right as well.

Personally, I never book flights for my family unless the layover is at least an hour. I just think the likelihood of the first flight being late & then missing the connection is too high.

Exceptions:
Right,
Do you live in Atlanta and use Hartsfield a lot? No, the odds are NOT that they will miss a flight and it is not bad advice. As I stated earlier, I live here and fly in and out a lot. Since OP will not have to go through security a second time, moving around isn't that hard. It's not wall to wall people like MK on 4th of July, so it's easy to hustle through the airport. If they only have to change gates within the same terminal, it'll be a breeze with 41 minutes. If they have to change terminals, it's still quite doable. Let the flight attendant know you have a transfer and they'll assist you in getting off the plane. They can also alert the gate agent at the connecting flight that you are on your way.

Is 41 minutes optimal? No. But it's very realistic and not hard to do.
I said the odds are EVEN. Flights are often late. Since you fly often you know that. It's my experience that the flight hosts will not help. Yours might be different. I might not fly as much as you do, I only fly about 4 times per month. The lady asked for advice. She can sift through and choose what she wants. I'm not wrong to think my advice is poor, either way I hope they make their connection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter