• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Atlanta Airport...short layover

Alpineslide

Mouseketeer
We are looking at buying tickets to Orlando, Florida for our next Disney trip. We would have a 41 minute layover in Atlanta. Is that long enough to get from one flight to the next in an airport that large ?

I've done it before but it makes you sweat (both from being nervous and moving quickly lol). Traditionally they recommend at least an hour and once when I booked a flight that had a 45 min layover and was potentially delayed, when I called to ask about backup flights just in case, they lectured me about it.

If you have an early morning flight, chances are better. Delays accumulate throughout the day. Also if you're delayed, YOU may get on, but your luggage may not.

We have flown thru ATL.
We have done this with short layovers, like about an hour.

Two things.....
If you are flying check-thru domestic... (one ticket, same airline for both flights) You probably will not have to change terminals.
Should probably be a fairly quick walk over.
No time for stopping, snack, etc...

If you are booking this as one ticket/trip on one airline, they should be aware of the necessary layover time, and not book flights with an insufficient layover. When you pull up the flights, do you see the lay-over FLAGGED in any way?

International flights would require riding the tram over to the International terminal.

Secondly, I would hope that the airline knows that passengers are due from one flight from the next....
So, they should not close the gate if they know you are there somewhere, heading to the gate to board.

One small thing....
The shorter the layover, the shorter the time they have to get your luggage transfered onto the plane.
Thank goodness our luggage followed us, with a fairly short layover, on our last International flight to the Caribbean...
But, even with a longer layover time, it did not make it onto our plane from ATL onto the short flight home?????
I think it was DELTA.

Last edited:
Well, because its only 41 minutes, you can be sure your departing flight will be at a different concourse... if you have a few hours, your departing would be the next gate over. :(

Even changing concourses, you should be fine.. just don't stop to grab a bite to eat..

I live in Atlanta and fly out of Hartsfield 3 or 4 times per year. The airport isn't as physically large as you'd think, especially given that it's the busiest airport. 41 minutes should be fine. If you're flying the same airline you may not have to change terminals. The airlines are typically (but not always) grouped together. The exception would be Delta, because about 1/2 of the airport is dedicated to Delta, so you may have to change terminals. However, there is a subway tram that is pretty efficient.

I would prefer an hour. Only time I went through Atlanta was 3 years ago and we had an 8 1/2 hour layover. DD was delighted because after a year in England at school with out American fast food, it allowed her time to have 2 fast food meals in the airport! (Taco Bell and Panda Express)

I would prefer an hour. Only time I went through Atlanta was 3 years ago and we had an 8 1/2 hour layover. DD was delighted because after a year in England at school with out American fast food, it allowed her time to have 2 fast food meals in the airport! (Taco Bell and Panda Express)

I had a 7 hour layover there a couple of years ago. It was unavoidable. I was SOOO tempted to utilize the nap rooms but their prices are astronomical! http://minutesuites.com/pricing/

It's a tough airpor. I once had 15 mins due to a late flight. Luckily I knew someone on the flight that had time. He told me to follow him and run. If you truelly do have 41mins, get off the plane fast, know where you are going and move fast, probably. But I would never ever cut it that close. Mine was with Delta and it was a long way between gates.

41 minutes is tight, considering it may take you 10-15 just to get off the first flight and they shut the door 10 minutes prior to the next flight. We had a Delta layover last month and had to change terminals. It wasn't too bad to change terminals but to do it that quickly would have been tough.

My prior layover was supposed to be 1 hr 21 minutes. Flight 1 was delayed due to weather. I literally ran to the gate to catch the other flight. I was one of the last to board and had no time for even a restroom break.

We are looking at buying tickets to Orlando, Florida for our next Disney trip. We would have a 41 minute layover in Atlanta. Is that long enough to get from one flight to the next in an airport that large ?

I've done it once. And it takes a lot of hustle.

If your first flight is even 15 minutes late, and you are not seated at the very front of the first plane, you very well may not make your next flight. It's a stressful position to be in.

If you decide to go this route, be sure there are still a few flights to your final destination after that one, so they can re-ticket you to a later flight if needed.

You'll be fine...unless you're one of those people who need to show up at the airport an hour and half early for a basic domestic flight to just hang out...ugh. As long as its domestic, I could do easily make that and probably have a drink and grab something for the next flight in between. I'm a VERY jaded business traveler though, who does not sweat such things, this wouldn't have even blipped my radar, and I firmly believe the last one on the flight who didn't have to check their luggage - wins, so, as always, take my flight advice with a grain of salt. I have friends I ADORE traveling with - but we won't go to the airport together. Either they're FREAKING OUT we'll miss the flight, or I'm pissed as all hell we're hanging at the airport needlessly. I usually fly Southwest and have mastered breezing up when Business Select is boring - and not a MINUTE before. Also, they load flights all the time, and its ATL, if your flight does get delayed? Big whoop - catch the next one in an hour.

You'll be fine...unless you're one of those people who need to show up at the airport an hour and half early for a basic domestic flight to just hang out...ugh. As long as its domestic, I could do easily make that and probably have a drink and grab something for the next flight in between. I'm a VERY jaded business traveler though, who does not sweat such things, this wouldn't have even blipped my radar, and I firmly believe the last one on the flight who didn't have to check their luggage - wins, so, as always, take my flight advice with a grain of salt. I have friends I ADORE traveling with - but we won't go to the airport together. Either they're FREAKING OUT we'll miss the flight, or I'm pissed as all hell we're hanging at the airport needlessly. I usually fly Southwest and have mastered breezing up when Business Select is boring - and not a MINUTE before. Also, they load flights all the time, and its ATL, if your flight does get delayed? Big whoop - catch the next one in an hour.
I think you are giving her poor advice. To have a scheduled lay over if 41 mins in Atlanta is taking a huge chance. The odds are even that they will miss that flight. If it's for a Disney vacation she may have children along. It's a risk that I wouldn't take or advise anyone to take.

There is not always room on the next flight that leaves, even on Southwest. I agree with dish rag. For a family vacation missing a flight is a big deal. Who wants to miss out on a few hours of vacation because they shaved it too close to catch their flight?

There is not always room on the next flight that leaves, even on Southwest. I agree with dish rag. For a family vacation missing a flight is a big deal. Who wants to miss out on a few hours of vacation because they shaved it too close to catch their flight?

You can have a different opinion - beauty of boards:) And its exactly what the OP is asking for - different opinions/experiences. I would do it all day and long twice on Sundays. I rarely (in terms of percentages) miss flights and when I do, its usually by a wide margin - meeting went over a few hours, etc. You could also say who wants to spend an extra hour on a layover - say the next flight allows for 2 hours? - on the off chance you can't make the flight? There's tons of flights from ATL to Orlando, if you miss the flight, its going to be because of a delayed flight, and the airline is going to sort it for you. To ME this would be a non-issue. Other people feel differently. I was just suggesting what I'd do. It surely doesn't make me wrong. I've been on over 50 domestic flights a year for the last 13 years, so I feel good about my opinion based on pretty darn good experience. Anyway, I don't think the OP should sweat it at all. The airline is allowing it, its totally doable - IMHO.

There's a lot of misinformation on this thread.

There are a number of questions we need to know the answer to give an accurate answer...
1) What airline are you using? If SW, they are in a single part of a single terminal. 41 minutes is plenty of time to make the flight (although you may not make your boarding position depending on other factors). If it's Delta there's a good chance you need to change terminals.
2) Is there anything that would slow down your travelling party? Wheelchairs, strollers, slow walkers, multiple carryons, etc can change the equation.
3) Are you comfortable with maps and getting around in strange locations? Atlanta is laid out very well, IMO and simple, but you do need to know where you're starting from and where you're going. Turning left instead of right makes a huge difference.
4) What time of year/time of day are you travelling? Winter has a bigger chance of delays. Afternoon thunderstorms in the spring the same.

We have flown thru ATL.
We have done this with short layovers, like about an hour.

Two things.....
If you are flying check-thru domestic... (one ticket, same airline for both flights) You probably will not have to change terminals.
Should probably be a fairly quick walk over.
Without knowing what airline they are using (and they don't say in the OP), this is incorrect.
No time for stopping, snack, etc...
Definitely. Get to your departure gate first, then if you have time, you can go to the restroom/get a snack.

If you are booking this as one ticket/trip on one airline, they should be aware of the necessary layover time, and not book flights with an insufficient layover. When you pull up the flights, do you see the lay-over FLAGGED in any way?
I think the minimum required layover at ATL is 35 minutes.

Secondly, I would hope that the airline knows that passengers are due from one flight from the next....
So, they should not close the gate if they know you are there somewhere, heading to the gate to board.
Doesn't matter whether they should or not, they might. Even if you are told they are going to hold the flight for you, DON'T COUNT ON IT.
For that matter, even if your first flight is late (past departure time of the second flight), check the departure board when you arrive and see if the connecting flight has left. It's possible it's been delayed.

One small thing....
The shorter the layover, the shorter the time they have to get your luggage transfered onto the plane.
Thank goodness our luggage followed us, with a fairly short layover, on our last International flight to the Caribbean...
But, even with a longer layover time, it did not make it onto our plane from ATL onto the short flight home?????
I think it was DELTA.
This is true, but you should never assume your luggage is going to make a connection, regardless of how long you've scheduled it. If you're taking multiple bags, "cross pack" people's things. Make sure you have anything you need for the first 24 hours with you in the carry ons.

I have made a connection in 10 minutes from when the first flight pulled up to the gate (first flight left late). However, I didn't have checked luggage, I was by myself and can move (relatively) quickly, I used the Delta app while we were taxiing to find my next gate assignment, and I understand how to get around ATL. That being said, I would try for at least an hour layover. But if it's 40 minutes vs. 3 hours, give me the 40 minutes. If the 40 minute layover is $100pp cheaper, I'll take it.

Only place I would say no to this short of a layover is....ATL. Horrible airport. Every.single.fricking.time we have flown through there, we have been delayed. I hate it there.

I wouldn't go less than 75, honestly.

There's a lot of misinformation on this thread.

There are a number of questions we need to know the answer to give an accurate answer...
1) What airline are you using? If SW, they are in a single part of a single terminal. 41 minutes is plenty of time to make the flight (although you may not make your boarding position depending on other factors). If it's Delta there's a good chance you need to change terminals.

Agree. We have flown SW through Atlanta several times with 45 min connecting times and it has been easy, as their gates are very close to each other. SW routinely schedules these flights. The only time I buy the EBCI so that we can be close to the front of the first flight to get off quicker. They also seem to build in extra time in the schedule so they do not arrive late, we almost always land early.

I would not do it with Delta, but I had a horrible experience with Delta in 2004 and have not flown them since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter