At what age is it no longer appropriate for kids to be pantless when company is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great that that works for your extended family. In our family we agree to leave these silly issues up to the individual parents. Would you be ok with your brother in law telling your 16 year old daughter that her shorts were too short or her top was too low?

If it's really "great," then why are still throwing examples at me trying to get me to change my mind??

But yes, one more time, I would be OK. In fact, I'd be grateful. Because if I did have a teenage daughter, I'm pretty sure she'd roll her eyes when I said it, because "Mom, you're so old-fashioned!" - but she'd take my BIL seriously and just maybe pick a different outfit next time.

It's absolutely fine that your family is different than mine (and I promise not to barge in to your dinner and correct your kids) - but it's also fine that my family is different than yours. We work together instead of in isolation, and it works for us.

Last edited:
At what age is it no longer appropriate for kids to be pantless when company is over?

Personal opinion .............. when they are born ........ :confused3

When my children were babies, they only got to hang out in their diapers when it was just us, or maybe my Mom was over. Otherwise they had on a onesie or something. As they got older their clothes became age appropriate and they learned what is expected around company, when going out, when they would go to school etc. Unless this 5 year old has special needs and they are struggling with clothing aversion ... there is no reason for him to be pantless with company.

No one here can have any opinion on you saying something to him as all family dynamics are different, and if you babysit this kid then the parents have given you another level of involvement. I babysat 3 of my nieces young and I absolutely would say something to them ... but I have other nieces I didn't take care of and would likely say nothing. I wonder, when you watch him does he keep his pants on? If he keeps his pants on except for when his mother is around, then that is likely where the conflict lies. If he tries to take his pants off at your house, then that is when you address it with him.

I think the issue here is ............ were you and your DD uncomfortable at his lack of "modesty" ... not sure he understands respect at 5, but his folks should? If so, then I would just not have any more family gatherings, invite your Mother to your home and if they ask tell them why. If it's only because you thought it was inappropriate (and I agree) but your DD didn't care ... then let it go - they are digging their own hole because it will carry over, and if they aren't willing to address the small battles, good luck on the big ones.

A little off topic but not by much. My husband (2 dads) and I have a 3yo. We go swimming every Sunday. It's at our local gym and we go to the locker room and change into our swim suits and then off we go. Two weeks ago another family was at the pool (father, grandfather, 2 young boys and a 4-5 yo girl) and we finished around the same time. My son and i went to the locker room and the other family came in not too long after us. This is a MENS locker room. I was shocked to see that they brought the 5 yo girl into the locker room. They had her undress in the common area (where all the other men were undressing)which i thought was pretty inappropriate given the fact this is an adult gym, not the YMCA -- so not family orientated. Thoughts? Am I the only one who thinks that was a bizarre move on their part?

MORTIFIED. I am .............. old ............ and still remember being taken into a men's restroom. Not cool. As an adult I also was part of a group assisting very disabled kids at swim lessons. We would go in the men's dressing room to assist the boys ...... and were always given an all clear. Once they messed up and there were some older men in their glory. Even as an adult it was ..... awkward. Completely inappropriate given the climate we live in. I think I might have addressed it with gym management. If it's an adult gym that is allowing children, they need to add a family changing room, even if they convert a closet. The Dad & Grandad could have tag teamed with her outside the locker room.

Where should they have taken her? If I was at the gym with my 4/5 year old son, I wouldn’t send him into the men’s locker room alone to change. Were there private areas?

In our area every gym I am aware of has a family changing room. The problem with locker rooms is to get to the private areas you usually go through the public areas ... with naked people. I'm not even sure all men's lockers have private areas like ladies locker areas. I guess they could have put a towel over her head and carried her to the private area if it existed.

Last edited:
I would think nothing of giving my great nieces/nephews basic corrections such as "did you wash your hands?" "What's the magic word?" "It's time to put some pants on for dinner," etc. To me, those things are no brainers that every adult in the child's life is involved with.

1 to 3 year olds strip down to their undies in public and they learn by being reminded it's expected to put pants on. No big deal. Why would an almost kindergartener not be told to put pants on? It used to be common place to start gradually teaching these things to kids their entire lives so that by the time they hit 4/5 they were pretty good about following directions and fitting into age appropriate social norms. Now "they are just little so we let them do what they want" seems to be sort of a mantra for many parents and also for many daycare providers.

As a former K teacher I was amazed the last few years by the large numbers of small children that had not learned very basic life skills/manners. That was literally new to me the last 3 years I taught and made a shocking difference in trying to maintain a classroom of kids. Kids used have more basic "there are some hoops to jump through that are just expected when you are are big boy/girl" skills than they do now.

Last edited:
Ewwwwwwwww they need to be wearing pants at dinner (ESPECIALLY with company) by the time they are potty trained.

That kind of behavior will not go very far in school - all it takes is one person to feel that The Pantsless Wonder is sexually harassing others... Not that I would jump to that conclusion myself, BUT I have friends whose kid got suspended for only innocently kissing his friend on the playground. I can only imagine what would have happened if said child was hanging out in their tighty-whiteys with their friend...

Several years ago, I told my 3 yo nephew to put on pants and he refused. Although my brother didn't think it was a big deal for his son to walk around the house without pants, he backed me up and told him to put them on. It had nothing to do with whose house we were in. He's told my daughter to help clean up a mess that I probably wouldn't have had her do because she didn't help make it. I backed him up when she wouldn't do it, telling her it doesn't matter who made the mess. You were told to help clean it, so do it.

For the people who think that sisters and brothers are allowed to set rules in someone else's home for their nieces and nephews I ask this question. Do your siblings all raise their children the same way you do and have the exact same rules, values etc? I'm shocked that there are no boundaries between parenting your child and your si

My brother and I have very different rules and expectations for our kids. There's never been a question though that if he tells my kids to do something or I tell his to, you do it. We trust each other and know that we would never tell each other's kids to do something that would cause them harm. We may not completely agree with everything we each do, but then we discuss it amongst ourselves later. In front of the kids, we back each other up because they need to know they have to listen. Frankly, we've never really had anything that we disagreed on that was really that big of a deal. He didn't think it mattered for his son to not wear pants, but it mattered to me, and he respected that. I didn't think my daughter needed to help clean, but he asked her to, and I respected that. No harm done. We back each other up in front of the kids (same as with a spouse) or kids don't learn to respect and listen to what adults tell them to do. You don't want a kid to refuse to listen when you are telling them not to do something dangerous.

Outside of family, I wouldn't say something to someone else's kid. We had a neighbor once who let their 7 yo DD play outside without a shirt on. I didn't find that appropriate, but they weren't family so I stayed out of it. With family, it's different.

Personally, at home even when my kids were babies, they all wore pants and shirts, or if wearing a dress/ skirt, there was shorts underneath. Not everyone feels this is necessary and that's fine. Outside of the home though, kids should be wearing pants/ shorts/ etc. Why is it acceptable for a kid not to, but illegal for an adult to be outside in their underwear?

A little off topic but not by much. My husband (2 dads) and I have a 3yo. We go swimming every Sunday. It's at our local gym and we go to the locker room and change into our swim suits and then off we go. Two weeks ago another family was at the pool (father, grandfather, 2 young boys and a 4-5 yo girl) and we finished around the same time. My son and i went to the locker room and the other family came in not too long after us. This is a MENS locker room. I was shocked to see that they brought the 5 yo girl into the locker room. They had her undress in the common area (where all the other men were undressing)which i thought was pretty inappropriate given the fact this is an adult gym, not the YMCA -- so not family orientated. Thoughts? Am I the only one who thinks that was a bizarre move on their part?

I understand that sometimes the opposite sex adult has to take a young child into the restroom/ locker room, etc. But they should, in my opinion, take that child into a stall, enclosed shower area, somewhere, or at least try to hold up a towel around her while she's changing. It's for her own privacy just as much as the privacy of everyone else in there. I've always taken my same sex 8 yo into a private area when she needs to change into and out of her bathing suit, and same with my 2 yo son. My daughter would feel uncomfortable changing around people of the opposite sex and frankly, I would feel uncomfortable in the same situation.

In my family, we wear clothes around people outside of our immediate household. If my niece or nephew didn’t have bottoms on, they would be told, “Put some pants on,” by aunts, uncles, grandparents, whom ever. Nobody would be offended. It takes a village.

DD has always dressed appropriately when we have guests. Even when my DD was a baby and we were home alone, she wore bottoms over her diaper, whether they were pajama bottoms or pants or bloomers, she was covered unless she was in the bathtub or being changed. The summer she toilet trained, she wore cotton training panties and long sundresses. We certainly would not have had a situation where she would be wearing a shirt and underpants around any visitors, whether they were family or friends or the Queen of England. She was raised with rules and high standards.

Why is it acceptable for a kid not to, but illegal for an adult to be outside in their underwear?
I'm not sure you'd want to open that can of worms. There are places where it's not illegal for instance for a woman to be topless. At least this kid had on underwear rather than going without any underwear at all. Also I don't think it's actually black and white you're in your underwear it's illegal. I believe a lot of that hinges on city ordinances, activity one is doing, etc. I think you're confusing what is a criminal act (where I'm sure there are places where you could be fined) versus socially unacceptable. It would be far more socially acceptable to see a young child in their underwear just walking out and about than an adult. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's illegal everywhere for an 18 and older individual to be out in their underwear.

But it wasn't known that the mother disagreed. Who would ever imagine that she would? The father did agree. I don't think it was overstepping boundaries to correct the child. Once the actual parents were involved, then certainly step aside.
Thank you!

How long was the 5 year old's shirt? Did it stop to where the underwear was visible or was it a long oversized t shirt?

Not saying it would be appropriate for a formal Sunday lunch

Our family would have made a joke and said 'Looks like you forgot your pants' and any of us would have supported the other adults. The kid would have run off and returned with pants , especially for lunch.

But young kids (boys and girls) in our family have long worn over sized t shirts that go almost to the knees as 'night night' shirts to bed, never a big dinner, but casually in their own home and occasionally in their yard. I could see a kid coming out to greet family members dressed like that and then returning inside for appropriate clothes.

Several years ago, I told my 3 yo nephew to put on pants and he refused. Although my brother didn't think it was a big deal for his son to walk around the house without pants, he backed me up and told him to put them on. It had nothing to do with whose house we were in. He's told my daughter to help clean up a mess that I probably wouldn't have had her do because she didn't help make it. I backed him up when she wouldn't do it, telling her it doesn't matter who made the mess. You were told to help clean it, so do it.

My brother and I have very different rules and expectations for our kids. There's never been a question though that if he tells my kids to do something or I tell his to, you do it. We trust each other and know that we would never tell each other's kids to do something that would cause them harm. We may not completely agree with everything we each do, but then we discuss it amongst ourselves later. In front of the kids, we back each other up because they need to know they have to listen. Frankly, we've never really had anything that we disagreed on that was really that big of a deal. He didn't think it mattered for his son to not wear pants, but it mattered to me, and he respected that. I didn't think my daughter needed to help clean, but he asked her to, and I respected that. No harm done. We back each other up in front of the kids (same as with a spouse) or kids don't learn to respect and listen to what adults tell them to do. You don't want a kid to refuse to listen when you are telling them not to do something dangerous.

I have a problem with parents backing up other adults even if they don't agree with them because an adults opinion overrules a child's. No, just no.

I can assure you that there are villages in the world that wouldn't get to decide how I raise my own spawn let alone my siblings. You don't have kids do you? Anyway, this wasn't a behavioural issue it was an issue of the OP deciding that this backyard gig was a formal occasion at a home that wasn't hers and shorts are unoffensive but underwear are the hill to die on.
Oh its a behavior issue. Grandparents won't pick him up. Issues at school. A weekly formal sunday dinner can be eaten outside on a nice day.

How long was the 5 year old's shirt? Did it stop to where the underwear was visible or was it a long oversized t shirt?

Not saying it would be appropriate for a formal Sunday lunch

Our family would have made a joke and said 'Looks like you forgot your pants' and any of us would have supported the other adults. The kid would have run off and returned with pants , especially for lunch.

But young kids (boys and girls) in our family have long worn over sized t shirts that go almost to the knees as 'night night' shirts to bed, never a big dinner, but casually in their own home and occasionally in their yard. I could see a kid coming out to greet family members dressed like that and then returning inside for appropriate clothes.
His Lightening McQueen underpants were fully visible.

I can see that making sense but in the case of the OP it's not that the kid stopped halfway through getting dressed. As far as I understood it, the issue was he was fine (or at least tolerated) being pantless until it was time for dinner at which point the OP's husband, the OP and the father of the child after being spoken to advised the child it was time to put on pants. I can totally see it if the kid was in the process of getting dressed and got distracted I just didn't read the OP's story like that.
No not distracted. Had taken shorts he had on off. (I had seen him earlier in the day)

if the child eats with adults then they need to wear clothes that don't show their underpants. as far as age - 2 yrs old. If the dad told the child to put pants on and didn't then that is another story all together.

Bottoms on a child that age is a must, non-negotiable.
Years ago, I was at Disney the same time a coworker friend & her family were there. We agreed to meet up on several days. I was horrified several times when she would meet me with her 4 year old either in straight up underpants or a little skirt with nothing underneath o_O
I could never quite deal with that coworker the same after that trip.

Someone mentioned "the hill to die on" so I want to add a thought for the sake of discussion...

Every parent knows there are some battles you simply choose not to fight. However, IMO the big problem comes when a parent chooses the "I don't believe in hills" method or even a "I really don't want to deal with hills so I'm pretty chill" method. Children need boundaries and if they don't learn to follow some rules there can be BIG consequences down the line. Sometimes rules are just rules for general order and following them can be a lesson to learn.

IMO, a parent of a 5 year old might not worry about the color of the clothes or whether their child wears shorts or long pants, but it seems to me like wearing pants is a big enough bump to care about in terms of teaching your child that life requires some boundaries. (And I mean boundaries that go beyond "don't hurt others.") I'm curious what expectations does a parent choose to care about when wearing pants becomes optional?

Did your nephew wear his church clothes to church or underwear?
We don't go to church, but that's how we dress for sunday dinner. He had shorts on earlier in the day when we stopped by to drop off something DSIS wanted to borrow. I wouldn't have cared if he had playclothes on, but pants at the table. His mother put cutoff jeans on him. Still under dressed compared to everyone else including his younger sister, but at least he had pants on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter