At Disneyland, I remember when....

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
admission price was only $28.75. Compared to today's price, $28.75 is pocket change. And yes, I know Disneyland has more now than it did 20+ years ago. :rolleyes: So, what do you remember at Disneyland that is no longer?

Our first stay at the Grand Californian Hotel we got the room for just over $200 a night. Same room this year was $504.
And this year was with an AP disc.

No shame, but I remember Rocket Rods when they were functional.. :D (ahaha, I must be the only one that misses that ride despite its many issues.) and I remember the People Mover.

Now this is where it remains fuzzy, was the Astro Orbiter on top of a building at one point in time and then moved to ground level? I could have sworn it was, but maybe I am getting MK mixed up. lol

I remember the buckets that used to pass through Matterhorn Mountain. Barely, but I do remember them! :cool1:

I remember the little ticket books too. I remember The Country Bear Jamboree. I remember the People Movers and The Gondolas very distantly. I can remember the Subs the way they were, with the mermaids and all the treasure, as well as Davy Jones. I can remember the tree house when it belonged to the Swiss family. I like how my Mom remembers boarding their poodle Johnette at the Kennel. She would always leave the kennel with a can of "Kennel Ration" dog food!

Midnightred

I remember riding the gondolas (don't remember the actual name) with my parents in either 1974 or 1976. The ride stopped while our car was in the middle of the Matterhorn. It was a half hour before it started up again. None of us were worried in the least. We watched the bobsleds go by, and chatted away the time.

I remember being a little girl and being anxious to ride the Rocket Rods. That ride was a favorite for me and my family.

I also remember seeing swans in the Sleeping Beauty Castle moat during the day and at night. They were beautiful.

No shame, but I remember Rocket Rods when they were functional.. :D (ahaha, I must be the only one that misses that ride despite its many issues.) and I remember the People Mover.

Now this is where it remains fuzzy, was the Astro Orbiter on top of a building at one point in time and then moved to ground level? I could have sworn it was, but maybe I am getting MK mixed up. lol

Yes you are correct about Astro Orbiter. We also enjoyed Rocket Rods, once while we were eating lunch, they broke down again and the CM were walking everyone off the ride. One CM was walking backwards down the long stretch in tomorrow land (no railings) holding a woman's hands (we could see she was scared) as soon as they reached the loading area, she FAINTED! We saw suites coming from all directions, someone must have been watching on a TV screen.

I first visited...the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship in Fantasyland, the Matterhorn and the Skyway Buckets.

It Wasn't to long ago but I loved the year of a million dreams. That was such a fun time, never knew what you could get at any moment ! I still have all the goodies I got. I wish they would do that again.

I remember riding the gondolas (don't remember the actual name) with my parents in either 1974 or 1976. The ride stopped while our car was in the middle of the Matterhorn. It was a half hour before it started up again. None of us were worried in the least. We watched the bobsleds go by, and chatted away the time.

I loved those.

I remember those, America Sings (it made me throw up), Mission to Mars, Country Bear Jamboree, when the Tinkerbell Toy Shop had actual toys including Effanbee dolls I used to buy.

I remember actually being able to get ice cream at Carnation Plaza!

I also remember the old Swiss Family Treehouse, the Old Mine Train (pre-Big Thunder) and the molecule ride (I remember the ride, but can't remember the name of it! :rolleyes:

:confused3 What were those?

Used to be that all the rides required a ticket to ride. A tickets were the cheapest (10 cents), E tickets were the big rides (I remember them being 85 cents).

91ezxt.jpg

You only had a certain amount of each ticket in the books. Taught kids a little bit about making choices.

Used to be that all the rides required a ticket to ride. A tickets were the cheapest (10 cents), E tickets were the big rides (I remember them being 85 cents).

91ezxt.jpg

You only had a certain amount of each ticket in the books. Taught kids a little bit about making choices.

Cool. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup2

Have you heard of the expression: "An E Ticket Ride." That is where it came from.

My brother and I used to save the C tickets and ride Autopia over and over. I also remember always getting more E tickets so we could ride the Matterhorn.

After the tickets went away, they went to the passports. You used to have to show your passport to get on the attractions.

What a fun thread! I remember all the things mentioned so far. I also remember the Motorboats that used to putt putt around in the far end of the submarine lagoon. I remember the beloved People Mover as a great ride to rest your feet while you wound your way in and out of Tomorrowland attractions. I remember the Welch's grape juice stand in Fantasyland where you could get a paper cup of grape juice or a frozen grape popsicle. I remember the little candy shop that used to be just inside the drawbridge entrance of the castle. I remember the v v much beloved Mine Train Though Nature's Wonderland (rainbow caverns was the most magical place to me in all of Dland) and the pack mules that carried passengers through the same landscape. (My cousin Laurie loved those mules and we had to ride them every visit). I remember the fantastically fun Fort Wilderness on Tom Sawyer's Island where we kids would completely loose track of time pretending we were saving the fort from attack and being pioneers. I remember Wally Boag spitting out his teeth as a gag in the Golden Horseshoe Revue (that scared me for some reason as a little girl even though everyone else was laughing.) I really could go on and on. This is too fun.

The only time I ever rode the Tea Cups. 1976 or 1977, before they were moved. You can see Skull Rock on the right, and the Pirate Ship restaurant behind us.

252700_2307393341660_1609695193_n_zpsdb281a10.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter