Assigned us to wheelchair accessible studio--but don't need one

tofubeast

DIS Veteran
So weird! We are renting, and the owner did not state we needed a wheelchair accessible room when making the reservation at the 7 month point. I hadn't noted that our reservation was for such a room at Kidani (studio- savanna view), but when I clicked the reservation link today that she had shared with me, it says we are in one.

We don't need one, so I asked if she could contact Disney. She called and they stated they put us in one and there are no other studios available at Kidani (and at other DVCs) during our time period. I guess I could ask her to call back and put in a request to not have us in this room (so it frees it up). Oh well, just wonder if this has happened to someone else.

I never really noticed anything on my ressie before. 2 years ago we checked into Kidani and upon entering the room I thought things looked strange, only to discover it was a HA room. We were not informed at check in, it was just assigned...we immediately marched down to the front desk and asked for a new room.

We were staying in a 1br and the island/prep area was missing and just wouldn't work for my family. Fortunately there was another room available.

You could always ask at check in and see if you can be switched.

Thanks, good point. I just would rather free up the room for someone who needs it, and I would prefer a tub since I have a toddler. Oh well, we shall see what happens!

It happens. They have a certain # of accessible rooms, but if no one specifically needs it, then someone has to use it when 100% occupied. I'm sure Disney didn't rob a needy person ;)

FWIW, There are only 5 concierge units at Jambo. 1 is accessible so you have a 20% chance of having no tub if you book a concierge room..

There are also degrees of HA. At least once I have had a HA studio with a tub, but it also had grab bars , portable bench and the handheld shower.

I was put in an accessible room during my very first DVC stay. I didn't know to specifically request to NOT be put in such a room. I figured that only those who actually requested the accessible room would get it. But apparently there are a bunch of them available. At the time, I was told that another room was not available unless I wanted to upgrade to a 1Br from a studio (and I didn't want to waste points). I absolutely do not want to stay in those rooms, so now I call MS to place a note on my reservation. There's no guarantee, but at least I make my wishes known.

So weird! We are renting, and the owner did not state we needed a wheelchair accessible room when making the reservation at the 7 month point. I hadn't noted that our reservation was for such a room at Kidani (studio- savanna view), but when I clicked the reservation link today that she had shared with me, it says we are in one.

We don't need one, so I asked if she could contact Disney. She called and they stated they put us in one and there are no other studios available at Kidani (and at other DVCs) during our time period. I guess I could ask her to call back and put in a request to not have us in this room (so it frees it up). Oh well, just wonder if this has happened to someone else.

Unfortunately, someone has to get that villa. You were the lucky one. And not all of them are needed for guests needing that facility.

Next time you rent a reservation from a member, ask them to put as your one and only request that you want a tub in the bathroom. No views, no close to whatever. Just that you want a tub in the bathroom.

Unfortunately, someone has to get that villa. You were the lucky one. And not all of them are needed for guests needing that facility.

Next time you rent a reservation from a member, ask them to put as your one and only request that you want a tub in the bathroom. No views, no close to whatever. Just that you want a tub in the bathroom.

It's a studio. Now you have me nervous (for lack of a better word). Will it be a not so good room? I thought I was only not going to have a tub? Just the way you worded your response makes it sounds like a 'not so good' room to receive.

hakepb--- we are at Kidani. Hopefully that is the case there as well?

It's a studio. Now you have me nervous (for lack of a better word). Will it be a not so good room? I thought I was only not going to have a tub? Just the way you worded your response makes it sounds like a 'not so good' room to receive.

hakepb--- we are at Kidani. Hopefully that is the case there as well?

We don't stay in studios. One bedroom and larger always have a tub and a shower. Studios have the tub/shower combo except in the HA bathrooms where they only have a shower.

You can't just say "we don't need a HA bathroom" because DVC is required to build so many in each resort and sometimes they aren't all needed. So someone who doesn't need it is going to get it because they are not going to leave it vacant. DVC villas are close to 100% occupied and studios go first because they require the fewest number of points. So studios fill up first.

You might wind up with a lower bed, bathroom counter that you can roll under with a wheelchair (so you lose the cabinets) and your kitchenette counters may be lower (so your refrigerator might not have a freezer section - but I think that one was only in Jambo House, not Kidani Village).

OP, it says in your signature that your trip is in October? If that's the case, there is no way you have been assigned to a handicapped accessible villa already, unless the owner specifically booked one for you. Room assignments are not done until 3-4 days prior to check in. I think you are worrying unnecessarily.

OP, it says in your signature that your trip is in October? If that's the case, there is no way you have been assigned to a handicapped accessible villa already, unless the owner specifically booked one for you. Room assignments are not done until 3-4 days prior to check in. I think you are worrying unnecessarily.

Yes, I am going in October. She did not request an HA room for us. The owner called today and they said that was the case as that "Was all that was available". When I look at my reservation per the direct link from Disney (which I can view...but can't go further as I am not an owner) it says:

RESORT Information:
Deluxe Studio-Savanna View. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed, 1 double sleeper sofa.

???

Yes, I am going in October. She did not request an HA room for us. The owner called today and they said that was the case as that "Was all that was available". When I look at my reservation per the direct link from Disney (which I can view...but can't go further as I am not an owner) it says:

RESORT Information:
Deluxe Studio-Savanna View. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed, 1 double sleeper sofa.

???

If you recently booked, that might have been all that was available. Since DVC members can book a HA villa when they book on line. It is a booking category if you need it.

October is very busy for DVC members.

If you recently booked, that might have been all that was available. Since DVC members can book a HA villa when they book on line. It is a booking category if you need it.

October is very busy for DVC members.

No, owner booked for me exactly at the 7 month mark. But there wasn't much available when she booked. I've also been on a WL for BLT this whole time that hasn't opened up (nor do I expect it to).

Oh well, I will see what I can do when I check in. If not, it's still a studio with a view of animals in a lovely resort. Can't really complain!! :thumbsup2

HA rooms are a category under the 2010 ADA law. It went into affect last year if I remember correctly. Disney books non-HC rooms first, keeping HC rooms available by request. Once the non-HC rooms are booked, they will book the HC rooms to guests who didn't request one.

If you need an HC room you need to book early and if you don't want an HC room you need to book early.

:earsboy: Bill

With the toddler I'd suggest just seeing at check in if there is a non HA room available. As was mentioned there are certain number of HA rooms built and when all others have been booked they have to book these for people who may not need them. The other option may be no room at all.

As far as the room goes I am not bothered by them. They will have a few other small differences aside from the tub such as the lower bed, a higher toilet height, lower light switches, a microwave that sits on the counter instead of being mounted higher although that is pretty common in a studio anyway, and the room may have a slightly different configuration that has been designed with wider space and just a little more room to maneuver. Some times it is very obvious what is different and other times you just have this feeling that something is different though you can't quite place what because it's just small adjustments to furniture and fixtures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter