Article about my Dad's death in the Orlando Sentinel

Bottomline -- Had Lanier not been behind the wheel, Mr. Klose would still be alive. Lanier is directly responsible for someone's death and should be held accountable. I am *disgusted* with the decision of the State Attorney's Office.

Thanks for sharing something so personal. I find the rationale in the article perplexing. Anyone would be laughed out of court if their defense for driving drunk was that they were a safe and able drunk driver. Even if that was 100% true and they were able to drive an obstacle course drunk they should and would still be charged. DUI means driving under the influence, it doesn't mean driving poorly under the influence. Add to all of that a death then there is no way it should not be considered manslaughter while driving under the influence.

This kind of thing saddens and worries me. I spend a lot of time on the roads running and cycling and you always do all you can to make sure you are seen and out of harms way. Someone driving under the influence of anything, especially something that is illegal to have in the first place, is not going to be as able to avoid anyone as the same driver would sober.

I'm sorry that the tragic death of your father has to be compounded by the tragic stupidity of the prosecution.

Kevin,

I am so sorry to hear of this incredibly bad developement. I hope this is only a turn in the road, not the end of it. I will be praying for you and your family.

Denise

I'm so, so sorry Kevin. I'm also sorry you and your Mother have to deal with this injustice.

Wow, it is so hard to lose a parent but I can't imagine how difficult these circumstances make it. I'm sorry that you are being robbed of justice. I pray that you & your family find closure in some other form.
My heart goes out to you.
Dawn

Kevin - It's bad enough to lose your Dad (I know that from personal experience), but it has to be worse to have the person that killed him set free and not have to pay for what he did. I will keep you and your mom in my prayers. Penny:grouphug:

How outrageous! Florida law is just unbelievable! Kevin, I'm so sorry. I'll continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.

I recommend a wrongful death civil suit....they won't go to jail but they may wish they did. there's also much less of a burden of proof than a criminal trial

That's just plain wrong!!! It seems the victims are blamed more often then the criminals. Just WRONG!

Sorry Kevin. The loss of parent even when we are adults sucks . It compounds the grief and frustration when the law drops the ball.

Quote "The trouble with the laws these days is that criminals know their rights better than their wrongs." ~Author Unknown

I never knew the entire circumstances regarding your father's passing. :hug: I too lost my father in 2009 at the age of 69 [after losing my mother in 2007 at age 65]. Then in October of 2009 my brother, my only sibling, committed suicide . While I have experienced much tragedy, I still cannot imagine my loved one being killed in this manner and the driver not being held at least partially responsible. :sad1:

Maybe this will shed some light on Mr. Eagans unwillingness to prosecute drug offenders who murder innocent civilians with their car while under the influence of drugs.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1985-07-19/news/0310360109_1_eagan-bribe-grand-jury

The article is from July 1985 and states Eagan was 59 years old and has been state attorney for 16 years. This is 2010 and he is still Asst. States Attorney! They should have a term limit - this Eagan guy is 84 years old? He should not still be in that position and he is corrupt - it's nuts!

Kevin I am so sorry that this has happened. The man should be charged and definitely should not have a driver's license! I will write and complain too. I hope someone listens to our complaints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!