Around the State (and what we ate) - A Florida road trip report-COMPLETE 9/23

Aussie here and Zaxby’s wins hands down! Before we discovered them, Kids preferred Popeyes whereas the parentals liked Chik-Fil-A - now the whole family chooses Zaxby’s.

Following along, love everything so far! Your first stop, oh my goodness, we moved from the next town over 2 years ago. We ate at Passariello's quite often and loved it. We now live in Delaware, so know of the smell, lol. Lots of chicken farms in that area. It can be quite overwhelming and have been known to put my shirt or coat over my nose.

We drove to Florida in January and had not had Zaxby’s . We found the same thing, if there was a chic-fil-a nearby, the lines were enormous. Zaxby’s was less crowded and far better, in our opinion. It’s a bit different being the chicken fingers, but oh so good. Another one we tried during our driving was Bojangles. It was also so good and we liked it better than Chic-fil-A.
...oh chicken farms, we did see a big barn in the distance across a field. ...it was pretty strong if the wind blew a certain direction. We saw Bojangles everywhere but never tried it....maybe next time! Glad you're enjoying my report. It's so fun to relive everything as I report it (well, maybe not the chicken farm part).

April 12 - Exploring Jacksonville, NC
We started the day with the complimentary breakfast at the Fairfield Inn. There were sufficient options and everything was warm. Pretty standard hotel breakfast though.

When I was originally booking hotels on our route, I found that I could save quite a bit of money booking hotels that were on the outskirts of the metropolitan centers. Most of the time this was a fine choice but on a few occasions it wasn't the best decision (more on that later). We were heading for Wilmington but it was cheaper to stay in Jacksonville. In this case, in terms of location, it was a very wise choice! We very much enjoyed this area.

One of our priorities each day was to find a place to walk. For at least five years now we both make sure we get at least 10000 steps a day. When we arrived in Jacksonville, I used the All Trails app and found the Jacksonville Commons Loop so we headed there and took a nice walk. It is a lovely planned community with houses all around the school and fire department. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed getting our steps and exploring the neighborhood.

We then decided to grab a late lunch/early dinner and went in search of a restaurant I found highly rated on TripAdvisor called Liliana's Columbian Restaurant & Bakery. We discovered it was a tiny restaurant in a strip mall but we decided to give it a shot. As we entered there we no patrons and the lights were off. The family who owned the restaurant was seated at one of the tables. They welcomed us, turned on the lights and seated us in a lovely elevated booth with dangling decorative lights.

We decided to share the bunuelos as an appetizer.

IMG_7092.JPG

IMG_7093.JPG

These were a cheesy fried bread that was very tasty!

For our entrees we decided to share two different meals so that we could try as much as possible. We ordered the shredded beef with yellow rice and sweet plantains.

IMG_7094.JPG

The shredded beef was perfectly seasoned and so tender. It just melted in my mouth. The sweet plantains were absolutely delicious and the yellow rice was very flavorful and not at all dried out.

Our second entrée was sauteed chicken breast with yellow rice and fried yucca.

IMG_7095.JPG

This too was an incredible dish! The chicken breast was tender and the gravy/vegetable topping was delicious. The yellow rice was the same as the other dish. We enjoyed the fried yucca but the sweet plantains were better. The yucca was very good dipped in the garlic cilantro sauce.

We continued to be the only patrons so the owner came over and chatted with us quite a bit. He was very friendly and told us that his mother-in-law was the chef who brought her recipes from Columbia. He also had quite the repertoire of dad jokes he shared with us. Overall this was a fantastic meal and we already plan on eating there again on our next road trip. One of the best meals of our entire trip!

They had a lot of beautiful looking desserts but unfortunately we were too full to order anything (big mistake, I think).

After linner, we checked into our hotel, Towneplace Suites Jacksonville, and then headed to Swansboro to walk around the waterfront. Since it was too early for the summer crowd, there wasn't much going on. We had hoped for an ice cream but the few ice cream places we stopped in looked like they still had last summer's ice cream in the freezer.

We the took a drive to Emerald Isle and walked the Bogue Inlet Fishing Pier.

IMG_7099.JPG

The weather was spectacular! Here is our view from the pier:

IMG_7097.JPG

After a couple days of mostly driving, we finally felt like we were relaxing and on vacation!

Up next, stopping in Wilmington on our way to Charleston, SC.

Oh I am so glad you liked the Colombian restaurant and what fun speaking with the owner. Our “2nd son” (DS best friend, they were best men in each others weddings) is Columbian and we have had authentic Colombian meals. Delicious

April 13 - Stopping in Wilmington on the Way to Charleston
We had the hotel breakfast at Towneplace Suites Jacksonville, NC which was just okay (and we supplemented with leftover coffeecake and apple fritters). In fact this hotel was just okay. It was in a nice location but it was definitely an older property. Also our room was very small and the TV didn't work.

We headed off to Wilmington to explore a little on our way. We first stopped at the Airlie Gardens in Wilmington but nothing appeared to be in bloom yet (the azaleas may have been past bloom) so we saved our $9 per person entrance fee and headed over to the Stanley Rehder Carnivorous Plant Garden to see some venus fly traps. We walked around the garden and saw lots of other types of carnivorous plants but we never did find any venus fly traps. We then decided to go to the Riverwalk in Wilmington. We were not impressed. To be fair, if we were there in the evening when the restaurants and bars were hopping, it may have been a different experience. However, walking the Riverwalk around noontime it just seemed like a run down tourist trap along a dirty river. Overall Wilmington wasn't a favorite stop for us.

For lunch we decided to make some sandwiches and ate in a small park somewhere along route 17. Then, as we were driving along the shore to avoid 95, my keen-eyed husband spotted a place we had seen in some YouTube videos, Parlor Doughnuts in Pawley's Island...Part of our quest was to find the best tasting doughnuts on our trip so we turned the car around and popped in for a snack.

IMG_7105.JPG

For those unfamiliar with Parlor Doughnuts, they are more like a cronut with flaky layers. We ordered the peanut butter cup doughnut.

IMG_7106.JPG

We also ordered the maple bacon.

IMG_7107.JPG

These were both very good. They were light and crispy with nice flavor from the toppings. We preferred the peanut butter cup one simply because we'll always pick chocolate and peanut over anything else (or will we???).

We continued on to Summerville, SC, as I had once again booked a hotel on the outskirts of the city. We checked into the Residence Inn, Charleston Summerville and then checked TripAdvisor for a restaurant recommendation. We ended up at the Ice House in Summerville. This was a very cute restaurant set in an old ice house. It seemed to be in a nice little dining area with lots of shops and restaurants.

We decided again to share two entrees. First up the buttermilk fried chicken breast with a side of mac n cheese.

IMG_7111.JPG

The chicken breast was excellent, nicely seasoned and moist. The mac n cheese was simply okay. It was a little dried out.

We also ordered the cajun chicken pasta: Blackened Chicken, Andouille, Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms over pasta.

IMG_7113.JPG

This was really good. The chicken didn't seem to be blackened really but everything was well seasoned and delicious. For our side with this meal, we ordered the bread and butter.

IMG_7112.JPG

This was very good. The bread was nice and crusty on the outside and soft on inside. We ate all of it! This was another great meal. It looked like they had great desserts too but we were far too full. After our meal we planned on walking around Summerville but unfortunately it started raining (one of only three times we saw rain the entire month of traveling).

Instead, we headed back to the hotel, watched some Bob's Burgers and headed off to sleep. As a side note, we really liked this hotel and the surrounding area, it will be a stopping point for us on future trips.

Up next...journeying through Georgia and then finally arriving in Florida.

April 14 - Heading to Jacksonville Beach

We started our morning with a very good breakfast at the Residence Inn Charleston Summerville. The food was fresh and hot with lots of options. I had eggs with chicken sausage and andouille. DH had hot oatmeal. We decided we wanted to get to Florida as soon as possible so we skipped our plans to check out Charleston and hit the road.

Around lunch time I started to look for a place to stop for a picnic lunch. I discovered the Harris Neck Wildlife Refuge in Savannah. This is a former airforce base from WWII that was allowed to "return to nature". It was so cool to see how quickly nature has taken back the landing strip, etc.

What was the most cool though was the wildlife we saw. There was a large slimy pond with many alligators swimming around.

IMG_7118.JPG

A Momma gator was on the edge surrounded by many of her babies. We could see them learning how to swim and hear them chirping. It was tough to get a good picture, but here is my edited one with momma circled in red and some of her babies in blue.

IMG_7124 circled.JPG

We ate our sandwiches in a picnic area and then drove through the rest of the wildlife refuge admiring the flora and fauna before we continued our drive to Florida.

We arrived in Florida, checked into the Towneplace Suites Jacksonville East, and then went to check out Jacksonville Beach. It was another perfect weather day.

IMG_7128.JPG

We walked the beach for a bit and then headed to Salt Life Food Shack Jacksonville Beach for dinner, another place I chose through TripAdvisor. We decided to share the Shrimp & Chorizo nachos: Grilled shrimp and chorizo topped with corn, black beans, jack and cheddar cheese, pico and finished with a cilantro lime cream drizzle.

IMG_7129.JPG

This was a huge portion and absolutely delicious! It had a lot of baby shrimp and plenty of chorizo and other toppings.

Since we knew this appetizer was pretty large, we decided to share the Tropical Yardbird (Wood-grilled chicken topped with grilled pineapple and provolone. Drizzled with maple-soy glaze and honey mustard and served with lettuce and tomato) as our main entrée.

IMG_7130.JPG

This was also excellent. The chicken was juicy and very flavorful especially with the pineapple and maple-soy glaze. The french fries were also crisp and nicely seasoned. Not only was the food exceptional, the service was also excellent. We will definitely eat here again.

We decided to walk the Jacksonville Beach area after our meal to get our steps and then went on a search for dessert. One of the cost saving measures I did before our trip was download the Upside app. This is a cash back app that mostly gives cash back on gas but also has some restaurants included as well. Sometimes during the trip when we couldn't decide where to eat we'd check the app and go somewhere that offered cash back. We checked the app for a dessert suggestion and found Cookies & Creme Jax Beach. This was a little window area off the side of a Circle-K. They served ice cream sandwiches made with your choice of cookie, ice cream, and topping. We asked if we could get two different cookies in each of our sandwiches.

My DH got the James Brown: triple chocolate brownie ice cream between a Brownie Batter cookie and a Reeses PB cookie with peanut butter sauce.

IMG_7133.JPG

I got the Bobby Brown: chocolate peanut butter oreo with the same two cookies and peanut butter sauce.

IMG_7134.JPG

These were very tasty and a fun way to have dessert. After dessert we headed back to the Towneplace Suites Jacksonville East for our one night stay.

Up next: Off to St. Augustine for our first non-Marriott stay.

Those nachos look amazing! I love nachos. I am super jealous of those nachos.

I think you were smart to skip Charleston. It's a great destination, but it's definitely a significant detour from I95, and really worth more time than just part of a day.

We have some travel coming up and your report is making me want to do a similar one with all the food. I think people here appreciate food pics more than anyone IRL for me. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter