Are your kids freaked out by the charaters?

The first time we took DD to WDW she was 3 1/2. At the time she screamed at anything with a mask (Halloween is great fun with her). The first people we saw was Woody & Buzz from Toy Story and she wanted nothing to do with it and then we saw Mike & Sully from Monsters Inc. and again wanted nothing to do with it (to be honest Sully kind of freaked me out because he is HUGE!) so I am in those pictures and the next day she saw Mickey in a space suit while DH was on Mission Space and she ran right to him and then she was fine the rest of the trip. I would just let them go at their own pace.
:sunny:

when my sons were 1 and 3 the 1 year old would not go up to any of them the three year old would with someone else going up with him. when we went last year the youngest was 3 and the oldest was 5 they were pretty good with the characters that they really knew and after being exposed to them more (by doing the cb) the youngest was running up to them like the 5 year old was :thumbsup2

novdisneydreams said:
My DS3 actually MISSED his brother's 6th B'day party at Chuck E. Cheese's because he was so freaked out - spent the entire time in the parking lot w/ poor DH , mostly screaming that he wanted Mommy and brother out of that place! ( He was TERRIFIED!)

OMG this just cracked :rotfl2: me up, sounds just like my DS! Then again who shouldn't be afraid of a 6ft RAT!! It took DS a long time to get used to the characters.

My children are both terrified of Chuck E Cheese. We were there on July 4th and Chuck E came around. My dd2 was literally standing there shaking with her hands over her mouth and tears rolling down her cheeks - but not making a sound . I thought my ds5 was off playing somewhere until Chuck E left and he came climbing out from under the table. He wanted to go home -- he thought Chuck E would be back.

Our last trip to Disney my ds was 3.5 and although he was terrified of characters at our local amusement park (along with Chuck E Cheese), he immediately went to the first character we saw (I think it was Pooh at Crystal Palace) and loved each and every one he saw (except for the Beast). My dd was turning one and I have picture after picture of her crying when the characters came too close.

I hope they do okay in November since we have 4 character meals planned.

My DD, 5 also cringes at the sight of Chuck E Cheese still to this day. But, she has enjoyed and was comfortable with the characters at Disney since she was 3. :banana: If you are not sure, start with the "human" ones first....like princesses,etc.

On a side note, I think the autograph book really helps give them some encouragement and excuse to go up. If they get into getting the autographs then they might be willing to see more of the characters. :love:

When my son was 2, his favorite character was Bear in the Big Blue House. We went to the show at MGM, and kept talking about seeing the Bear. He was so excited, he was clapping and jumping up and down. Finally, when Bear came out, his face turned to a look of horror and he literally ran and climbed up on my head trying to get away(we were sitting on the floor). His little body was shaking and he looked at me like "Mom, how can you just sit there when there's a live bear on the loose." :rotfl:
After that, whenever a character would come around, we would simply say "Sorry Pooh, he gets a little nervous" Pooh ( or whomever) would just nod and wave and move on.
Incidentally, my son NEVER watched Bear in the Big Blue House again. If it came on TV, he would run out of the room and scream "no!" I guess we scarred him for life.

babynurse1 said:
When my son was 2, his favorite character was Bear in the Big Blue House. We went to the show at MGM, and kept talking about seeing the Bear. He was so excited, he was clapping and jumping up and down. Finally, when Bear came out, his face turned to a look of horror and he literally ran and climbed up on my head trying to get away(we were sitting on the floor). His little body was shaking and he looked at me like "Mom, how can you just sit there when there's a live bear on the loose." :rotfl:
After that, whenever a character would come around, we would simply say "Sorry Pooh, he gets a little nervous" Pooh ( or whomever) would just nod and wave and move on.
Incidentally, my son NEVER watched Bear in the Big Blue House again. If it came on TV, he would run out of the room and scream "no!" I guess we scarred him for life.

My DD didn't mind Bear but of all things was afraid of Jamie. Jamie tried to dance with her and you would have thought something horrible happened. She wouldn't even stand up and do anything for the rest of PHD. :confused3

Wondering how my DD6 will fare with the characters, too. She's all brave talk, but we'll see how she really acts. We're doing character meals at Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace because she most wanted to see Mickey and Pooh. My DS11 was just 1 1/2 last time we went and he was TERRIFIED of Mickey Mouse. He'll probably be the most nervous this time, too, though he'd never admit it! :blush:

my older kids 5 & 4 weren't too fond of the characters up close, but my younger son 3 went up and took pictures with all of the characters. You never know!

My twins were two on their first trip. It was great. Except, Pluto licked my daughter during dinner at LLT. She just lost it. Cried so loud, I felt so bad. Pluto did too. He kept checking on her and showing her he was sorry. Looking back it was very funny.

seven dwarfs said:
My twins were two on their first trip. It was great. Except, Pluto licked my daughter during dinner at LLT. She just lost it. Cried so loud, I felt so bad. Pluto did too. He kept checking on her and showing her he was sorry. Looking back it was very funny.

This is so weird. This suddenly reminded me of what happened to me when I was little and I had completely forgotten about it. It must of been about 22 years ago when I was 6, on a trip to Disneyland. I was always fine with the characters, according to my mum, but on this occasion I remember feeling a tap on my shoulder and turning round to see Pluto. I shrieked and ran to my parents. The funny thing is, I felt so bad about it afterwards and thought I had hurt Pluto's feelings particularly as I had always loved his cartoons. I was convinced for years after that, that Pluto was still feeling hurt by it, and every time I watched his cartoons, I was sure I could see this hurt. :crazy:

My DD was petrified! The first time we did a character breakfast she was 3 yrs. old. We were at CR and pluto: came over to our table and DD, in one motion, jumped from her chair into my DH's lap. She hid her face in his neck and would take a peak to see if Pluto was still there. The CM was great and put on a great show of being shocked and dismayed that this little girl was afraid of him. But he didn't push the issue.

Needless to say, she got over it. She is now a CP/CM at ToT. :thumbsup2

DD8 was never afraid of any of that, she was the kid who tried to cut in front of the other kids to hug first LOL! My DS (almost 3) is a scaredy cat :sad2: He would not go near any character at Disney, he would only watch his sissy do it :sad:

My daughter was afraid of Captain Hook but loved the rest of them. On the other hand, my son wasn't afraid of any of them. I think it all depends on the child in question. The fact that the characters at Six Flags doesn't upset the little one is a good sign.

Have a great trip. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter