Are you traveling to see the eclipse?

katie01

DIS Veteran
I am hearing predictions of how awful the traffic jams may be on the day of the solar eclipse this summer, and how many hotels have been fully booked months in advance. So I was curious how many here plan to travel somewhere outside of your hometown to see/better see the eclipse? We aren't going anywhere, we should have decent viewing in our hometown

i heard all the hotels are booked... If i were to see the eclipse, those flights that fly with the eclipse do some pretty interesting... :]

My front yard is right in the path, and according to this interactive map I would experience 99.98% totality.

But I've read that the difference between totality and near-totality, even in the .02% range, is worth the effort to see 100% totality. So I'm going about 80 miles east, to an historic town (Ste. Genevieve MO), to have lunch at a winery and see it with 100% totality.

I don't believe in any deity, but I am [metaphorically] praying for a clear day that day.

We are traveling about an hour north - where there is supposed to be 100% totality around 1:30 pm, I believe.

We won't need a hotel room, but I'm hoping we'll be able to find a good place to park w/ a good view.

At first, we weren't going to be able to leave town until 11:30 am, but, due to a change in schedule, we can now leave at 10:30 am.

I have two friends who are taking their vacations to see it this year. We will actually be off the mainland US during that time but if we were here I wouldn't go see it. I'm just not really interested in it.

We are driving about 2 hours north to get 100%, we get 99. something here at our house. We had planned on going to a state park and having a picnic but honey saw today that they are expecting 1000s of people there for it so we will just drive north and pull over on the side of the road when we get close. It's country roads in the Georgia foothills so pulling over and stopping is no big deal. There are actually a lot of places that are having festivals which we would normally go to but we plan on taking our little dog and they don't usually allow pets since they serve food so, it's the side of the road for us.

Yup! We'll be visiting DBF's aunt who lives near Charleston, and we'll spend some time with them for a few days. They live on a nearby island, so it'll be a mini beach vacation. :thumbsup2

We are, just for a weekend of camping in the path of totality. My 15yo thinks it sounds pretty cool and I've got just about enough rewards points to cover the cost of the cabin, so off we go...

I am hearing predictions of how awful the traffic jams may be on the day of the solar eclipse this summer, and how many hotels have been fully booked months in advance. So I was curious how many here plan to travel somewhere outside of your hometown to see/better see the eclipse? We aren't going anywhere, we should have decent viewing in our hometown

I had to look it up because I'm oblivious. Anyway, I'm not near where the eclipse will be visible, and I'm certainly not going to travel anywhere to see it. If I decide I want to see it, I'll watch the news, I'm sure they will show it. And even if I did live where it is visible, I probably wouldn't even walk outside to see it, I just don't care.

We are planning a party in our back yard. We are in the totality area so it should be pretty spectacular. Our town is suppose to majorly swell in population so we will get anything we might need on Thursday and then stay out of town until after Tuesday!

Not sure how some of you think you can drive on the day of the eclipse to see it. On the west coast they are recommending you arrive 2 to 3 days in advance to ensure you get into a good viewing location. I-5 will be completely stopped for a 200 mile stretch from central Oregon to southern Washington. People will just stop on all lanes on the freeway and traffic will not be able to move at all on Monday.

To clarify.... are they shutting i5 down from the border? Or is it a congestion guestimate?

To clarify.... are they shutting i5 down from the border? Or is it a congestion guestimate?

No the police are not shutting it down but they are expecting people to just stop on the freeway to watch the eclipse. Madras in eastern Oregon, a town of 6,000 people is expecting a million people to come to watch the eclipse. Oregon State emergency management has sent out notices notify residents that they may not be able to move for several days around the eclipse and to have two weeks of food on hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!