Are you rethinking inside and OV rooms post shutdown?

I've cruised with other lines in the past but we are looking at our first Disney cruise next year. At this point, I'm only willing to consider a verandah. Due the price point & fact that we now need two rooms to accomodate our family, this will mean less frequent cruises for us as so that we can save longer to get the verandah. I'm ok with that. My reasoning has absolutely nothing to due with COVID19, however. I struggle with claustrophia and with multple kids in each room, I need that extra space with fresh air.

Nope we will stick to inside or oceanview rooms because of the cost savings. We also won't cruise if there is a good possibility of being quarantined either. While it would suck being stuck in an inside room for a few weeks I could think of much worse things. It also helps generally it is just the two of us now.

Nope we will stick to inside or oceanview rooms because of the cost savings. We also won't cruise if there is a good possibility of being quarantined either. While it would suck being stuck in an inside room for a few weeks I could think of much worse things. It also helps generally it is just the two of us now.

I feel the same way. For the Greek cruises, the price differences between OV or inside compared to verandah, is huge, for a port intensive cruise, especially when converted to CAD. If things are still iffy next year, I will just cancel and wait. I have a secret porthole room on deck 5 which will be awesome if the cruise goes ahead as a planned.

I have always booked verandahs only even with just the threat of norovirus. Now that we have three kids--the thought of being shuttered away without fresh air for ANY reason is just too much.

I don't have the funds to even consider a Disney Cruise at this point so it all a mute point to me but let's pretend for a moment that I had the funds to go on my first DCL cruise.

I honestly have mixed feeling about a veranda room required.
I like the idea of having open air and the idea of being able to go out and enjoy a cup of tea in the morning while looking out over the water and feeling a nice breeze
I have a special needs 12 year old who is already over 5ft tall and who is a stealth disappearer. The giggles that most kids do when getting into something that they shouldn't like they are telling a secret to an imaginary friend doesn't happen with this one. Due to age and height my child has the strength to unlock doors so I would be nervous that my child who has a tendancy at times to decide not to sleep (up for 16-20 hours, sleep for 3-4 hours, and then back up for another 15-18 hours sleep for 10-12 hours and sometimes repeat 2-4 times until we get back to a regular sleep for 8-10 hours a night) would decide to go out and would climb up (unless the kid decides that water and the height are scary) and be over the railing into the water.

I was honestly leaning towards an oceanview state room for the first trip when I was able to afford to go so that I would have a bit more space and could see the ocean but not have to worry about my child who I don't know how will react in new situations. I was planning on using a first cruise of 3-4 nights to gage my child's response at being near a railing in public areas of the ship so unless there is some sort of alarm that would sound loud enough to wake me, my DH and our 15 year old so that we could stop 12 year old from going out without one of us there to supervise I honestly would postpone going while there was this restriction if it is implimented.

Considering that while we are a family of 4 I might look at a room that sleeps 5 and plan on placing 15 year old on the bed that goes out from the wall along the balcony door, that or have DH do what he did at the cabin we stayed in just outside of Hill City, SD to prevent now 12 year old at the age of 6 from walking what was a 6.5 hour drive home to get her Pooh when it was realized that DH forgot to put the box it and her blankets were in (unfurnished cabin including bring own bedding they provided a bottom sheet only) into the vehicle we were driving. DH ended up sleeping on the floor across the doorway of the cabin until a certain small child cried herself to sleep using me as a substitute. I ended up driving into Custer, SD after finding out they had a thrift shop when I learned Hill City didn't and finding a couple of accptable subsitutes even if I couldn't find a Pooh or a Minnie Mouse. I was to the point I would have driven the 66 mile round trip into Rapid City in order to go to a store where I knew I could find a stuffed animal or two for my child if there hadn't been one as close as there was to where we were.
Not adequate for the days, but if you get a room with a murphy bed (check for those that will sleep 5), the bed comes down where the door is. Have your 15 year old sleep in it, as the 12 year old would have to climb over the bed to even get to the door.

We upgraded from interior to oceanview for this exact reason on the last WBPC cruise. We usually cruise in oceanview staterooms. We have been upgraded to a veranda once, and sailed in an inside room once. We decided to book an interior room on that cruise since we had already done a WBPC cruise and we are not in our stateroom much. As things started to unfold with Covid 19 my husband and I discussed upgrading at the port if possible. I do not mind interior rooms, but the thought of four of us in there for close to two weeks with no sunlight seemed a little concerning. The family in front of us got the last veranda, so we moved across the hall to an oceanview room. Thankfully we were not quarantined in our rooms!

I was there before COVID. I've gotten sick every non balcony cruise I have taken. I have not gotten sick with a balcony room even when a room mate has gotten sick. I think my body just needs fresh air or something. LOL

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter