Are you going to eat out soon?

Restaurants opened at 50% capacity in our city one week ago, but many places chose not to open their dining rooms and stick to curbside. We will be waiting for another 1-2 months to look For any spikes in cases. And it will be patio dining only

I don't see us going for a very, very long time. My husband is in the extreme risk category. Not high risk but extreme. We have done take out a few times and some fast food. That's the best it's going to get for us.

Well all are closed around here. Many restaurants are small so not sure how it could work. Hoping a local fish market/restaurant down on the docks will be open this summer. To sit outside by the water eating great seafood is my dream right now...

I don't think so. I want to, but I just don't see being comfortable. But being in CA, I think we'll be able to see what happens with other states before having to make any decision.

This is how I feel about the "opening" up. I'm excited about the idea of going out, but terrified of the reality of it.

I won't be for a while. Many restaurants are already open here but I'm not going.

Here in FL the restaurants opened their outdoor seating and reduced indoor seating to 25% capacity. I had lunch with my roommates at our neighborhood cafe at their outdoor seating, which was spaced far from everyone. I have been way more nervous at the grocery store where people come so much closer. They also used all disposable plates/cups/etc. I don’t see myself eating anywhere else though. I just really like/trust their setup and I know the staff. I think it was too early to reopen FL, so we’ll see how the numbers go. I’m still going to continue self-quarantining aside from that cafe.

I used to think I went out for the food, but the thought of take away from favourite restaurants doesn't appeal to me, so it seems it was the dining experience and company that mattered more. Restaurants are not open yet in the UK so it will be a while before I get a nice meal out, but even when they open I've got to find someone who will agree to come with me.

We have dined in a restaurant twice now (we're in GA and restaurants are allowed to open for dine-in with restrictions and limited capacity, though some have opted not to open). Personally, I felt like I was at significantly less risk there than going to the grocery store, but I'm sure my own anxiety levels with crowds play into that some, but I wasn't ever as physically close to someone in either restaurant as I am to people regularly in grocery stores since all this started. I can't seem to get away from the crowds there. The two restaurants had some differences in how they approached all of this though, so I thought it might be useful to elaborate...

Both restaurants had half their tables/booths marked off, alternating ones in a row, where people couldn't sit and both had their servers wearing masks. Both also handed out the standard check booklet at the end and walked off with our debit card to scan at the register (no way to pay with a device without touching anything).

The first restaurant did not have the manager wearing a mask, I couldn't see the cooks to know if they were, and no employees that I saw were wearing gloves. They used the standard laminated menus and returned them to a large pile where they did not appear to be cleaned before reusing. They also made no attempts to keep people waiting for tables away from each other. They have a very small interior waiting area (basically just 2 benches about 4 feet from the hostess stand) and there were several groups packed in there. They had no problem with people waiting outside, but did nothing to encourage or enforce it.

The second restaurant had all employees (including cooks) wearing masks and gloves. The parking lot was sectioned off with signs and separate places to drive through depending on whether you were doing carry out or dine in. For either one, you drove up to the appropriate tent they had set up and someone was sitting at a table several feet away with a laptop/iPad/yeah I wasn't paying that much attention to the device. You called out how many people, gave your name and phone number and they would text when your table was ready. You waited in your car until you got the text and only then we're you allowed in the restaurant (and they had someone standing at the door asking and opening the door for you). They also had boxes taped off on the floor several feet away from each other so if there happened to be two tables texted at the same time you weren't waiting right next to each other. They didn't give out menus but had a bar code thing posted by each table that you could scan on your phone to look at a menu. No idea what they would have done for someone without a phone/data as we knew what we wanted.

Overall, we enjoyed both restaurants and personally were not all that concerned. We live in an area with a pretty small number of cases and deaths though and we are low risk so that definitely had an impact on our willingness to dine in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter