Are you D23

I debated back and forth on joining and finally caved in a couple of weeks ago. I just got my certificate and magazine (Donald Duck issue) this week. Still waiting for my "special" gift.

The magazine is quite impressive - only 1/2 way through it. If you love to read about all that is Disney give it a try.

I ended up joining a few weeks ago, when we were still deciding whether we were going to buy DVC or not...

I have been really impressed with the magazine so far, and I'm a big fan of "behind the scenes" information, and from what I've read so far and what I've heard in various communications with the press about the future intent for D23, I think there will be a lot of opportunities for that kind of thing...especially in the first few years when they're trying to get everyone invested in it...

Anyway that's the story I told myself....we'll see if it ends up being true!!

Brooke

I joined! (Although my DH should be the member as he was just too embarassed so he signed up in my name!) The magazine is really well done but geared toward Disney history buffs or people who want to know behind the scenes stuff. (DH, not really me.) I think the events are cool, but can't attend any. Hopefully they'll keep adding more. I want to be a member just to support the idea in hopes it will keep getting cooler. I like the extras they've sent with the magazine so far. For $11 more than the magazine price, I think it's worth it, especially if you like the pins or merchandise.

What type of "extras"? You pay extra for the pins, right - membership just gives you the right to purchase them?

I also contemplated subscribing to D23 but it seemed quite expensive ,
We have books and different old magazines that tell alott about Disney
history ,but I just wasn't sure about it- I haven't seen this one either but I finally decided to try Celebration Magazine -
I haven't received it yet -Any of you read this one ?
Laura

What type of "extras"? You pay extra for the pins, right - membership just gives you the right to purchase them?

The pins and merchandise are extra, yes, but there was a nice poster as a joining gift and with the second magazine issue we got a very cool reproduction fan that was handed out at Disneyland in 1955. I love that item. Also, I am impressed with the slate of extras so far listed..the UP preview, the studio thing and more. I can't participate, but maybe one day I can, and I think they are really trying to make this a nice club. They are also having some sort of contest in June, but haven't seen much info on that..

Are most of the "events" in California or the west coast?

Last week, there was a free showing of UP in Hollywood.

Tonight, there is an Illuminations party at WDW.

In June, there is a back stage event at the theatrical productions in NY, Chicago and Las Vegas for Mary Poppins and Lion King.

In June and Aug, there is tour of the Studios and archives in Burbank.

In July, there is a showing of an historical film about DL with discussion in Anaheim.

In September, there is a preview of the Disney Family museum which opens to the public in Oct in SF.

In Sept, the 4 day D23 Expo is in Anahiem.

So, yes, so far there is more of a tilt to the West Coast.

However, I would expect that in the future many of the AP events (such as the behind the scenes fireworks presentations in June) held at WDW may be targeted either just to D23 members or to both AP and D23. I have never heard of similar events for DL AP holders, but there are often interesting movie presentations/discussions at the El Capitan that are open to the public. -- Suzanne

I joined in March and I live in Alabama but we go to WDW 2-3 times a year. We went to the D23 event at Epcot on Sunday and my wife I were very impressed. We got reserved seating at the Tony Orlando show, special seating for Illuminations along with free coffee and all kinds of free desserts. They also gave us fast passes for Soarin' that don't expire until June 15. After Illuminations they gave each of us a bag containing 10 D23 pins. My wife laughed at me and said we would be the youngest people (47 & 45) at the Tony Orlando show but there were plenty of folks there younger than we are. All in all it was a great time and a cool experience. Well worth the $75 in my opinion.

I joined in March and I live in Alabama but we go to WDW 2-3 times a year. We went to the D23 event at Epcot on Sunday and my wife I were very impressed. We got reserved seating at the Tony Orlando show, special seating for Illuminations along with free coffee and all kinds of free desserts. They also gave us fast passes for Soarin' that don't expire until June 15. After Illuminations they gave each of us a bag containing 10 D23 pins. My wife laughed at me and said we would be the youngest people (47 & 45) at the Tony Orlando show but there were plenty of folks there younger than we are. All in all it was a great time and a cool experience. Well worth the $75 in my opinion.

What were the pins?

What were the pins?

The pins were D23 pins that had different Disney characters and different quotes about D23 on them. I don't have them in front of me but as I recall one had Mickey, one had Baloo, one had a glass slipper, etc.

Since we were just talking about this, here is the info on the Expo I got from D23 this morning. I wish I could go! I'm at DLR until Sept 9 :/.
06.03.09 - Picture a place where Disney's timeless animation, unforgettable movies, iconic theme parks and all the magical music, television and theater productions that have become synonymous with Walt's uncompromising vision come together as never before. Seems too good to be true? Well, it's not. For four days, the "Fantasyland" you've imagined becomes a reality when The Walt Disney Company presents the first-ever D23 Expo.

From September 10–13, 2009, the D23 Expo will transform the Anaheim Convention Center into the single largest gathering of all things Disney ever assembled in one place at one magical time. The incredible experiences, exhibits and presentations at the Expo are another way D23 will connect fans to the timeless stories, characters and amazing worlds that we create here at Disney.

Guests entering the main showroom floor of the Convention Center will discover exciting pavilions from every part of The Walt Disney Company. Each will offer unique, immersive experiences the whole family can enjoy. The Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, Disney Consumer Products, Walt Disney Imagineering, ABC, Disney Channel and ESPN — to name a few — will all be featured. There will be surprising gallery events, author and artist appearances and signings and even a beautiful Disney Dream Home to walk through. Radio Disney will rock the Expo every day, and you can expect your favorite Disney stars to make appearances throughout the event. And please stay tuned!... We created this mini site to keep you up to date about the Expo, providing ticket information and online ordering, the latest event information and everything you need to know to plan your ultimate Disney fan experience!

After all there is a lot to choose from, including the eye-popping Disney Dream Store, which will offer an unbelievable shopping experience bursting with products from every corner of the Company. The Dream Store will also house merchandise that's exclusive to the Expo, including magnificent pieces created just for D23 members from the Walt Disney Archives Collection.

Also nearby is the expansive Collectors' Forum, just one of several interactive forums made especially for Disney fans. At the Collectors' Forum, fans can buy, sell and trade from their Disney collectibles — in short, it's a massive Pin Trading headquarters that's perfect for both casual collectors and ardent enthusiasts.

The Center's spectacular 5,000-seat arena is where top Disney creative executives — including Disney President and CEO Bob Iger and Walt Disney Animation and Pixar Animation Studios Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter — will deliver keynote addresses, and also where Disney fans will be dazzled by fantastic fashion shows and live performances. Upstairs from the main halls, the Center's five enormous ballrooms will be transformed into the giant Walt Disney Studio Theater, where Walt Disney Pictures will offer continuous presentations and screenings of thrilling upcoming fare, including the latest animated and live-action films, as well as sneak peeks at the latest Disneynature and Muppets offerings and more. Expect a few special surprise appearances as the Studio provides thrilling sneak peek from Disney's A Christmas Carol and Prince of Persia to The Princess and the Frog and Toy Story 3.

Expo show floor hours will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, but there will be a number of screenings and events throughout the evening, including trhe "50 and Fabulous" Film Festival. This spectacular event is open to both D23 members and the general public, but D23 members will receive a discount on Expo tickets, as well as special early entry to the event starting at 8 a.m.

We hope you'll revisit this site often — as we will be updating it often with breaking news, the latest event information and everything else you need to know to have the Disney adventure of a lifetime!

I'm really happy to hear they handed out a bag of pins to you at the concert!:thumbsup2 I just bought 2 tickets to Mary Poppins on Broadway on June 24th, with the bacstage tour afterwards- hope we get pins, too!:woohoo: I did have a surprise waiting for me yesterday outside my door-

2009_060806summer0005.jpg

Very nice pin! At first i was wondering if I'd made a mistake, but now I feel like the $75 was absolutely worth it- it will be excellent to go backstage at Mary Poppins, and the seats are fantastic- 5th row, center orchestra. :cool1: If I were in SO Cali I wouldn't hesitate to join- they've got alot of fabulous events planned out there. So glad they brought a little of the magic to my part of the country as well, with the Mary tour.:goodvibes

I'm really happy to hear they handed out a bag of pins to you at the concert!:thumbsup2 I just bought 2 tickets to Mary Poppins on Broadway on June 24th, with the bacstage tour afterwards- hope we get pins, too!:woohoo: I did have a surprise waiting for me yesterday outside my door-

2009_060806summer0005.jpg

Very nice pin! At first i was wondering if I'd made a mistake, but now I feel like the $75 was absolutely worth it- it will be excellent to go backstage at Mary Poppins, and the seats are fantastic- 5th row, center orchestra. :cool1: If I were in SO Cali I wouldn't hesitate to join- they've got alot of fabulous events planned out there. So glad they brought a little of the magic to my part of the country as well, with the Mary tour.:goodvibes

So, I heard about the first day pins...I do so hope I get this, being a crazy pin collector...I joined D23 in about the 1st 5 minutes, so I HOPE this comes!!!!

The pins were D23 pins that had different Disney characters and different quotes about D23 on them. I don't have them in front of me but as I recall one had Mickey, one had Baloo, one had a glass slipper, etc.

It sounds like you got all TEN of the ones for sale at about $22 a pop!!! VERY COOL!!!

Got my Day 1 pin in the mail yesterday. What a nice surprise! I've never collected pins before but this may start me on that. I wish I could go to a special event and get a bag of pins too. Awesome! Liking this D23 thing more and more. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter