Are you afraid of clowns?

I've only sold two houses, my MIL's and my Mom's, and the realtors (different for each sale) said a house should be clean, but leave the personal items up because THAT is what makes a house a home.
One sold in 24 hours, the other in 17 days so at least here, it worked.

Personal items are one thing - large collections of personal items would make room seem cluttered and crowded, IMO.

And I'm not afraid of clowns, but I can fully understand why some people can be.

Only ones that became my boss!

No, I am not afraid of them and don’t know of anyone who is, but maybe only because the topic rarely comes up. I actually didn’t realize people were afraid of clowns till I started reading about it so,e years ago. As a kid there was Bozo the clown, Tommy Seven, another kids program tv clown, and Emmett Kelly popped up on tv occasionally. I guess clowns didn’t become evil in books and movies till later on.

YES! If anyone is old enough to remember the 3D movie that played at Epcot, then later MK, called "Magic Journeys" it had creepy clowns...scarred for life, lol

John Wayne Gacy dressed as a clown and was a prominent figure in his community but he was also a serial killer long before Stephen King wrote a novel about a killer clown.
Only ones that became my boss!

No, I am not afraid of them and don’t know of anyone who is, but maybe only because the topic rarely comes up. I actually didn’t realize people were afraid of clowns till I started reading about it so,e years ago. As a kid there was Bozo the clown, Tommy Seven, another kids program tv clown, and Emmett Kelly popped up on tv occasionally. I guess clowns didn’t become evil in books and movies till later on.

John Wayne Gacy dressed as a clown and was a prominent figure in his community but he was also a serial killer long before Stephen King wrote a novel about a killer clown.

I am so old that even his story came after my childhood!

It bothers me that most of them don't seem fazed by loud popping noises. In todays society I think you need to be wary of people who do not seem to be bothered by loud popping noises, and gravitate to a job that has them.

I’m not afraid of clowns but a collection of 500 of anything with some hanging from the ceiling is going to be off-putting to buyers.

I’m assuming her realtor told her that she should declutter, including the clowns. I was always amazed when we were house hunting that people KNEW there was going to be a showing and yet they didn’t clean up, forget about declutter. I recall walking through houses where every room had laundry on the floor, dirty dishes on the kitchen counter, bathrooms dirty to the point of there being an odor.

I’d think to myself “do you really not want to sell your house?”

I'm not afraid of them, although I've never thought they were funny. I agree with everyone that the room would look less cluttered if she puts them away.

I am not afraid of them personally, but my wife is terrified of them. And butlers, too, for some reason. Every Halloween I tell her that I am going to dress up as a clown butler and every Halloween she threatens me with divorce.

Unsurprisingly to me the real estate agent would not even take pictures until the clowns were removed. He did mention clutter as one reason but also raised the issue of peoples fear of clowns. It still came as a big shock to my mother in law who maintains that I am wrong and no one is afraid of clowns.

I won’t go to the circus because I don’t like clowns. I don’t like how they treat animals either... but I really dislike clowns!!! If I walked into that house for a showing, I’d walk right out.

Not really afraid of them in general, just find them creepy (although that clown thing that was going on back in 2016 kind of freaked me out. If I saw a random clown just standing in the woods/outside my house staring at me you bet I'd be terrified!). If I walked into a house decorated with 500 clowns I'd probably laugh. But if I spent too much time in there I might start to get creeped out.

At any rate, major distraction from the house trying to sell. Clowns gotta go.

Well, it would be pretty creepy to see anyone staring into one’s house, no need for a costume.

Unsurprisingly to me the real estate agent would not even take pictures until the clowns were removed. He did mention clutter as one reason but also raised the issue of peoples fear of clowns. It still came as a big shock to my mother in law who maintains that I am wrong and no one is afraid of clowns.

I guess, she doesn’t have an internet connection? I will say, the first time I heard a lot of objections to clowns was on these boards in regards to the BW pool, but really it’s not like it’s the only time I’ve heard someone say clowns are creepy.

At least the realtor put his foot down. Sounds like it would have been a waste of everyone’s time to take pictures and have showings before they were removed.

A positive spin on it could be that they’re one less thing to pack once it sells.

....fellow clown fearers, my name is Kim and I hate clowns......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter