• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are We Turkeys? - Thanksgiving 2006 at WDW - NEW 5/17 Chap 11 on Pg 13

Subscribing - thanks for the fun report! We are headed to AKL in December (our first time there) and I am loving your pictures! :)

Thanks, NM for the good reminder that life is fleeting yet God is still sovereign. I prayed for the family you wrote about. It is good to remember that He is already in tomorrow and knows what lies ahead for each of us.

No good way to segue out of that.

But.

Your pictures were great! I loved the EE ones.

:3dglasses

I am all choked up.

I just had my own little Thanksgiving, with a tear and a little prayer, right here in February.

Thanks girl. This was beautiful.

Jam

Prayers going up! What an awesome installment. And one that makes me appreciate the blessings I have in my life. A healthy family. A loving husband. Thank you for bringing my heart to a very thankful place! :goodvibes Keep up the great work!!

PS My dh has that same shirt (as yours wore for Thanksgiving dinner) ;) :lmao:

First of all, add me to the list of people who have prayed for that family.

Secondly, I can only echo what others have already said here. This chapter was worth waiting for because I think you have managed to bring a little piece of Thanksgiving into all of our hearts with it. So thank you for so eloquently reminding us how precious and delicate life is. And thank you for reminding us that although we may not know what tomorrow holds or have all the answers, there is One who does.

On a lighter note, it sounds like yall had an awesome Thanksgiving. I'd say it definitely beat pulling a bag of unidentifiable turkey parts out of a half frozen bird, wouldn't you?

Love the pictures and the description of the girls bonding on EE. Awesome stuff.

Love the pictures of Mr. NM and the boy cuttin' up in the room. So cute. And so borg.

Love the pictures of the AKL lobby all decked out. You took me right back there with those. Well, the trees were new to me, but still. I was there in my mind.

Love the picture of Mr. NM stealing the grilled cheese off the boy's plate at Jiko. He must've been hungry.

Love the picture of the really super bored guy wearing the orange crocs with socks. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I said all that to say this: I loved all the pictures. But that's no big surprise. You know I'm a fan of your photography skillz.

You have been blessed with a beautiful family, my girl. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share Thanksgiving with all of us. NM Style.

You rock. Way more than orange crocs.

:laundy:

NM - Thanks for the wonderful Thanksgiving that you shared with all of us :grouphug:

Life is short and can change in an instant. Enjoy every moment :love:

But - the Joan Jett line :rotfl2: :lmao:

And Black Friday in the Magic Kingdom pirate: Were there Blue Light specials? :rotfl2:

NM - Thanks for the wonderful Thanksgiving that you shared with all of us :grouphug:

Life is short and can change in an instant. Enjoy every moment :love:

But - the Joan Jett line :rotfl2: :lmao:

And Black Friday in the Magic Kingdom pirate: Were there Blue Light specials? :rotfl2:

Grammyof2, My dd has the same christmas dress has your GD, too funny. I should post a new pic of her and DS.
Anyway love your trip report alot especially since I'm a TGMer too.

NM. I have tears in my eyes, and have said a prayer for that family. It is so true that lives change in a blink.

Your report and photos are awesome, too!

I read this installment last night, and didn't post at that time because I was tired and not sure what I wanted to say. As with all of your episodes it was entertaining and well written. The inclusion of the grieving family and your reflections during your Thanksgiving celebration were very appropriate to the holiday and a good reminder to all of us that life can be less than magical. I lost my first husband when I was 22, so even youth is no guarantee that any of us will be here tomorrow. The fact that life is fragile is no excuse, however, to constantly "eat, drink, and be merry," but we do need to balance family and fun with the all-consuming events of work and daily responsibilities. And we need to keep in mind that there is a greater Kingdom than the Magic Kingdom.

After coming over and bugging you and slurping coffee and getting popcorn crumbs everywhere...I'm late getting here to read your fabulous installment!

What a great Thanksgiving!!! I love that you and DD love EE!!! And that she's a tough little cookie and puts the big boys to shame with her fearlessness!

I'm so sorry about your friend's loss of her husband. And your right...only He has the big picture. But prayers for her and for her girls who miss their daddy.

That perspective really gives you something to be thankful for and so nice that you took time as a family to share what you are most grateful for. That, my friend, is a memory your children will cherish and a Thanksgiving to remember. :hug:

:thumbsup2

What a wonderful installment. Like everyone else, I was deeply touched by your story of your friends and have sent up a prayer for them. It is so true that we never know what the future holds and have to count our blessings every day.:hug:

Loved the pics, too. Like Frick, I was VERY impressed that you could show such photographic prowess on EE without losing your camera when the ride REALLY starts moving!! And those AKL pics are stunning.

My husband does not have a shirt like that. Probably because it doesn't come in a 17/37. Yep, 37 inch sleeves. That's what mutants wear. Kinda limits the selection........ Too bad, that's a nice shirt. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. And especially the prayers for our friends. I really do appreciate it!

Ash! A 17/37?? Wow! Those are some basketball arms for sure!

Frick - Your man has the same shirt, huh? Does the Auburn blue and orange bother him a little? And yes, that was his park shirt. When you aren't there in the blazing September heat, you can wear longsleeves to the park!

Kay - I'm so sorry you lost your first husband. I can't imagine...

Grammy! - No Blue Light specials in the MK! In fact, I thought the prices were a little high for the biggest shopping day of the year. :confused3

La - Did you notice that the grilled cheese was a double decker? Who can resist a double decker grilled cheese?

jaycns - Your DH has the same shirt, too? Well, he's either a man with lots of style, or a man who wears whatever you buy for him. My DH is the latter. :thumbsup2

CJsmom - You will LOVE the AKL in December! Be sure to work in some time to take in the atmosphere of the lobby. And definitely book dinner at Jiko. It was great!

lexmelinda - Clean up your mess, woman! And thanks for the always kind words.

Jamal, ZZUB, kpk and kaysmommie - Thanks for reading and posting!

I appreciate all of the encouragement, friends. Next installment is coming up soon.

NM

I can’t remember the last time I needed an alarm clock to wake up. I truly believe it’s a gift. I am a morning person. And I think us morning people have it waaaaay easier than the non-morning people.

Because whether you are a morning person or not, most of us eventually have to get up.

But I’ll admit, getting up to head to the Magic Kingdom is still more fun than getting up on a regular day at home. So when my eyes opened on the Friday after Thanksgiving, I was up right away. DH made the coffee walk and we sat at our little table and chairs and had a quick cup before waking the kids.

A quick aside: When we were at the Yacht Club for Spring Break, one of my favorite times of the day was our morning coffee on the balcony. It was a very quiet and relaxing way to plan the day and enjoy a little time before the kids were awake. We had a whole fun day ahead of us, and it was always exciting to talk about it. Plus, we had a beautiful view of the Boardwalk and the lake. Very nice. Mama missed it.

101_0915-1.jpg

Because here was our view at the AKL.

IMG_0857.jpg

And had we even gotten a good view at AKL, it was a little too cold to sit outside in the mornings. But hear me now – I ain’t complaining about the bad view. Because not only did I not pay for a good view, I didn’t pay for the bunk beds and day bed that we were enjoying in our deluxe room. No matter the view, it was still a sweet upgrade.

So DH and I finished our coffee, got quick showers and woke the kids up. They dressed in split second time, put on the cool binoculars the LaLas had sent in their gift basket – because you never know when you might need binoculars at Magic Kingdom – and we were out the door.

binoculars.jpg

We had an ADR at Crystal Palace at 8:05. So I figured that getting down to the bus stop at 7:20-7:25 would be perfect timing.

We had The Back Pack filled and strapped on, and DH was in possession of four Annual Passes. (That still makes me smile – four Annual Passes.) We walked down to the Magic Kingdom bus stop and waited. There was a really nice older couple there with their granddaughter. They struck up a conversation with us by asking my kids if we were having breakfast with Mickey.

And here is where the morning took a dramatic turn.

Here is where things go South. Really South. So far South that we might be in Cuba and not Orlando.

I thought to myself, “No, we aren’t going to breakfast with Mickey. We’re going to eat with Pooh and friends. But why correct him on the details? He might think Crystal Palace IS breakfast with Mickey. And why would I get in a conversation over details with someone who knows less than me about Disney? It will just frustrate me to hear some rookie try and tell me about things I already know. Or worse, fill me in on some incorrect fact. Like they are now offering Cinderella’s castle as one of the deluxe resorts. (Yes, I’ve heard this.) Nope, I’ll just keep the details to myself. It’s easier that way.”

So I smiled sweetly to him and said “Yes, we are heading to breakfast.” Notice I didn’t confirm breakfast with Mickey. Nor did I explain it was actually breakfast with Pooh. Which would be different from breakfast with Mickey. And even Cinderella. Because at least breakfast with Cinderella and Pooh are actually in the Magic Kingdom. Yes, just “we are heading to breakfast” will suffice. That’s all he needs to know.

So we talk a little. And we wait. And I begin to get frustrated because its 7:40, and two buses each for Epcot and Animal Kingdom have come by, as well as a bus to MGM. But NO bus to Magic Kingdom. I’m beginning to sweat. And I’m beginning to stress. Unless a bus pulls up RIGHT NOW, we will not make Crystal Palace at 8:05. Which in and of itself, is not a big deal. But if we are 15 minutes late for our ADR, there is no way to eat, meet the characters, finish up and pay, and STILL make it to the Tomorrowland rope drop before the peons waiting at the turnstiles are let in.

This isn’t some low-attended Tuesday in February. This is Black Friday in the Magic Kingdom. I’ve heard it will be brutal. But manageable if you make rope drop.

Finally, a bus is heard in the distance. All four NM’s – plus the couple and their granddaughter – strain their eyes to see what is lit up as the destination of the bus. It comes rolling into view and screams a mocking “MGM STUDIOS” at the little group desperately hoping to see “MAGIC KINGDOM” in its window.

The bus pulls into the MGM stop and waits. Because there is no one waiting to go to MGM, it continues to wait. And this makes Mr. NM really irritated. Why would there be two buses for each of the three parks that we aren’t going to, when there has been no bus for the park we need? Especially when there isn’t even anyone even at the bus stop for MGM?

So he walks over to the MGM bus to get the skinny. He inquires as to whether the buses have routes that they follow, or if they are dispatched from place to place. They are dispatched. So he wonders if the MGM bus can now be dispatched to the Magic Kingdom. Since clearly no one is here to go to MGM. Nope. Can’t change the dispatch instructions. Although the bus driver agrees with Mr. NM that something has gone wrong if we haven’t seen a bus to the MK yet.

It is now 7:50. I’m not a math genius, but I can figure out this equation. Time on bus to MK + time to walk through turnstiles + time to arrive and check-in at Crystal Palace + time to eat and pay at Crystal Palace = WAAAAY past 9:00. That ain’t gonna fly. And that’s if the bus was here right now. Which it’s not. So that puts NM in a mood. A really bad one. Yeah, I’ll admit it. I was ticked off and miserable to be around. I was mad at the stupid bus system and I was mad that the entire day might be ruined because of it.

About that time, another bus is heard in the distance. We all strain again, and before long we see it. MAGIC KINGDOM. It rolls to a stop, and we all get on and spread out in the empty bus. Time is ticking and this bus can’t get us there fast enough. But it’s the best we’ve got, so let’s just hope he’s at least a fast driver. We see the nice little grandfather who’s going to breakfast with Mickey say something to the bus driver. We see the bus driver nod his head “yes”.

And as the man walks back toward us, he gives us the double thumbs-up sign with an "oh yeah" head nod.

What he says next, literally tested every fiber of self-control within my being.

“I asked the driver if he could make a detour at the Contemporary before he goes to the Magic Kingdom. Since we’re all going to breakfast with Mickey.”

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

We can’t afford that extra five minutes!!! Why did you ask him to do that? How selfish and RUDE!!

Oh.

I get it.

You asked him to do that because you thought we were having breakfast with Mickey, too.

Who’s the rookie now?

Yeah. That would be me.

So I smile again and sweetly say “Oh, thank you, but we aren’t going to the Contemporary, we are actually going to the breakfast with Pooh.”

He apologizes profusely, yet doesn’t ask the bus driver to forget the Contemporary and stick with the assigned route. Which would be straight to the Magic Kingdom with no stopping. I sat quietly and stewed.

When we FINALLY reached the Magic Kingdom, AFTER a detour to the Contemporary, DH sent me to run ahead and check in at the Crystal Palace. For those of you interested in the time at this point in the fiasco, it is now 8:20.

I am ashamed to admit that I was in a horrible, horrible mood. I had become so involved in the timing of the morning, that the last 45 minutes had been a disaster. I was crabby, stressed and definitely not feelin’ the Magic. When I finally arrived at the check-in podium for Crystal Palace, I explained my predicament to the hostess. I’m sure she had heard every excuse in the book, and I don’t blame her for not showing me the love. I was looking at a minimum 10 minute wait. And it sent me over the edge. I actually teared up as DH and the kids came up. “This is not how this was supposed to go. There is no way we’ll get in and eat and make it to the Tomorrowland rope drop before 9:00.” DH, very unfamiliar with stressed-out-and-in-tears NM, suggested just bailing on the breakfast. For reasons that escape me, I did not like that idea. It seems like common sense, now, but at the time, it didn’t fly.

Maybe the kids were dying to see the characters. Maybe they were really, really hungry.

Or maybe I was still determined that despite the huge odds against us, I was, by golly, eating breakfast at Crystal Palace and STILL making the rope drop.

Cue the “Hallelujah Chorus” and bright sunshine and smiling faces.

“NM’S? Party of four?”

Well, hot diggity dog! Our table is ready!

The next 40 minutes was the workings of a well-oiled Disney machine. We were shown to our table, and DH took the kids to the buffet to get their plates before our waitress came by to take drink orders. Yeah, we’ve been here before. We don’t need instructions. Or permission, evidently.

I waited at the table and told the waitress when she arrived that we had some issues with the bus and were running late. We really wanted to be in and out by a little before 9:00. I placed our juice and coffee orders and asked if she could go ahead and bring the check.

We ate breakfast, and visited with Tigger and Pooh. We missed out on Piglet and Eeyore, but didn’t mind, and were out the door in 30 minutes.

Poohhug.jpg

We strolled over to the Tomorrowland rope drop, with time to pose the kids for picture in front of castle. And time to take a picture of just the castle. Because it’s worthy.

IMG_0593.jpg

We pulled up to the rope and went over the plan. Girls to Space Mountain for a Fast Pass and a ride, boys to the Astro Orbiters so my little man can pretend he’s flying. And don’t forget the Child Swap at Space Mountain. Check, check and double check.

At 9:00, the CM’s carried the rope almost all the way to Space Mountain. My daughter and I were literally one of the first people on the ride, and the guys rode the Astro Orbiters two times in a row because no one else was waiting. Whew, all of that stress and everything was now OK. NM – Chill out, already!

You see, you can go to Disney world in late January and February and have no plan. You can go in late August and September with no plan, too. But you had best not go on Thanksgiving weekend with no plan. And expect to ride any rides, anyway.

The rest of the morning was great. Except for the little snafu when Toontown opened. I sent the kids running ahead into the Barnstormer queue so they could ride in the same train as Goofy while I parked the stroller. Only to find out that kids can’t board the Barnstormer without a parent if they are 8 and 4. Who knew? I did, after I saw my kids get denied by the CM at the loading area, who did not bother to look five feet away where I was saying “they belong to me!”

We had a fun morning at the Magic Kingdom. We rode lots of rides, puttered around Toontown, and gathered fastpasses for when we returned that evening.

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

We talked the kids into leaving about lunchtime with the promise of an afternoon swim at the AKL.

As we were leaving, I turned to take this pic. I couldn’t believe the amounts of people that were pouring into the park at lunchtime.

IMG_0607.jpg

I guess the saying is still true. The Early Bird really does catch the worm.

Or at least bacon at the Crystal Palace and the first ride on Space Mountain.

[post=18064030] Next Chapter [/post]

I can’t remember the last time I needed an alarm clock to wake up. I truly believe it’s a gift. I am a morning person. And I think us morning people have it waaaaay easier than the non-morning people.

I will agree. I am not a morning person and waking up is hard to do. I can stay up all night though! :-)

And as the man walks back toward us, he gives us the double thumbs-up sign with an "oh yeah" head nod.

What he says next, literally tested every fiber of self-control within my being.

“I asked the driver if he could make a detour at the Contemporary before he goes to the Magic Kingdom. Since we’re all going to breakfast with Mickey.”

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

This kind of crap happens to me all the time! I just got so stressed for you! You handled it well though you little southern belle you.

I am ashamed to admit that I was in a horrible, horrible mood. I had become so involved in the timing of the morning, that the last 45 minutes had been a disaster. I was crabby, stressed and definitely not feelin’ the Magic.

Is there anyone who can go to Disney and not have this happen at least once? It is such a fun trip but with the planning, the timing, and the expectations (that especially us disdorks have) it can make a sweet trip a little more stressful. This is why my DH likes to park it in a lazy atmosphere like the beach, with good food, good drinks, a big tv and a non stressed wife for his vacation. I'm sorry you went through this girl. I would have been feeling the same way.

We ate breakfast, and visited with Tigger and Pooh. We missed out on Piglet and Eeyore, but didn’t mind, and were out the door in 30 minutes.
I'm impressed!

At 9:00, the CM’s carried the rope almost all the way to Space Mountain. My daughter and I were literally one of the first people on the ride, and the guys rode the Astro Orbiters two times in a row because no one else was waiting. Whew, all of that stress and everything was now OK. NM – Chill out, already!

Alright I have never ever made it to a rope drop and this sounds fabulous! I'm usually the one in the looooong line at bag check grumbling about how long it takes to get in! I see a change coming on for the Frickles Family.

You've got some mad skills Mrs. NM!!!! I'm majorly impressed and TGM would be so proud of you!!!

I'm glad that this turned out to be an "All's well that ends well" story. I really hate placing my life and schedule in the hands of Disney busses. Once your day gets off to a bad start, it's hard to get back into a happy frame of mind. Fortunately you did, and your family had an enjoyable day. Nice job with this episode.

I haven't been this stressed out since I wrote Chapter Thirteen. Oy Vey! You totally captured the frustation and anquish of waiting on those stupid busses. It hurts like heck when a well crafted plan gets stymied by Disney's crappy transportation. But it always works out one way or another. Maybe not exactly like we planned but somehow everything does come together. We should remember that the next time we're sitting at the bus depot stewing.

I placed our juice and coffee orders and asked if she could go ahead and bring the check.
Been there. Done that. Have the photos to prove it.

:3dglasses

Wow, NM!

I was just enjoying a nice, homework-free evening (winter break in New England), and you got me all stressed out!! I was right there with ya, woman. And Frick is right, unfortunately. Every trip has to have at least one (hopefully no more) of those incidents. I remember one in the spring of 2004 particularly well. When the bus stopped at EVERY Epcot resort (only time the whole trip) en route to the MK, and then the boat stopped not only at WL, but several times IN the water to let bigger boats go by, and we ended up nearly THIRTY MINUTES late for Hoop Dee Doo. As with your disaster, all turned out well (I really think they waited for us....), but OMG the stress and crankiness. I still get butterflies when I think of it!

Bottom line, those of us who plan so meticulously don't usually handle it well when our perfect plans are kaboshed by something ridiculously out of our control. And I may very well have cried if I were you with the Contemporary miscommunication! That poor guy. I'm sure he thought he was doing a great thing, and instead he crushed NM. Poor you more...but gotta feel a little for him, too.

Great chapter! And that pic of your little guy with Pooh is precious!!

NM:

After reading your TR, I have to tell you that you were not alone in stressing for the ADR. That happened to us last year. We waited and wait for the MK bus, when if finally arrived there was an auto accident so the road was closed, they detoured us to T&TC. When we finally got to our ADR's the kids wanted nothing to do with breakfast, they wanted to go to the parks. We decided to leave, go to the parks, and about 20 minutes later, what words do I hear? Yes, you are correct, "I'm hungry!" I was ready to scream. It all turned out fine in the end regardless of the bumpy start.

NM said:

Freaky Taking a Picture of Mickey's Clothes Borg. I took this one last year. Weird.

Disney20051088.jpg

They dressed in split second time, put on the cool binoculars the LaLas had sent in their gift basket – because you never know when you might need binoculars at Magic Kingdom – and we were out the door.

binoculars.jpg

NM, I love this picture! That's so funny that they wore the binoculars to the MK. I guess it's a good thing they threw them around their necks that morning though because it it sounds like you needed them to spot the busses. I bet they were all over it.

I thought to myself, “No, we aren’t going to breakfast with Mickey. We’re going to eat with Pooh and friends. But why correct him on the details? He might think Crystal Palace IS breakfast with Mickey. And why would I get in a conversation over details with someone who knows less than me about Disney? It will just frustrate me to hear some rookie try and tell me about things I already know. Or worse, fill me in on some incorrect fact. Like they are now offering Cinderella’s castle as one of the deluxe resorts. (Yes, I’ve heard this.) Nope, I’ll just keep the details to myself. It’s easier that way.”

I never knew you were such a snob!

Honestly though, I gotta say borg to this. DH and I have a patented pity smile for the poor folks who try to spring some pathetic and incorrect Disney knowledge on us. And it's true that it's easier just to nod and let it go in one ear and out the other. But Cindy's castle as a deluxe?! Really?

Finally, a bus is heard in the distance. All four NM’s – plus the couple and their granddaughter – strain their eyes to see what is lit up as the destination of the bus. It comes rolling into view and screams a mocking “MGM STUDIOS” at the little group desperately hoping to see “MAGIC KINGDOM” in its window.

Apparently I should've sent four sets of binoculars. And I so feel your pain.

Yeah, I’ll admit it. I was ticked off and miserable to be around. I was mad at the stupid bus system and I was mad that the entire day might be ruined because of it.

So much rage from such a sweet girl! This reminds me of Thirteen. And I'm numb all over again.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

NM, this cracked me up. So funny. And that's what you get.

NM, like everybody else, you had me stressed out right along with you. I felt your pain, my girl. I've gotten this way before when I was worried about the timeline not working out on a regular day in October. Not the day after Thanksgiving when the place is more crowded than a wave pool in Japan. So I can imagine the stress was pretty harsh. But all's well that ends well. And I'm so glad to know your morning finally did turn out pretty good after all. Cause any time you can take a few spins with your girl on Space Mountain and Mr. NM can fly around with lil NM in an Astro Orbiter and you can STILL manage to score fastpasses for when you return later on in the day, that's time well spent any way you slice it.

Keep it comin' Woman.

:laundy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter