Are We Turkeys? - Thanksgiving 2006 at WDW - NEW 5/17 Chap 11 on Pg 13

So even though I’m a stranger to most of you, it’s important to me that you know how grateful to God we are that we can take our kids to Disney.
Borg sister. I thought we would never see the day....

We walk up to the stroller rental and DH goes to the counter to purchase our length of stay tickets.

Then, out of nowhere, in a stealth move that Laid Back NM never saw coming, Commando NM slays Laid Back NM. And now it’s on like a chicken bone. I bark orders to DH.

“Honey, I’ll handle the stroller rental! Run like the wind to the fastpass distribution for RNR and TOT! We’ll get the stroller and meet you there. GO!! And call me when you’ve scored!!”

I'm with you. I've tried to be laid back before but my body always becomes overtaken by a force I can't control!

My brain, which is often challenged by trying to remember what I had for breakfast, executed a plan with surprising ease. We head off in the direction of the thrill rides to catch up with DH and begin our day.

I'm seriously impressed!

“It was great seeing y’all, but our Fastpasses expire in five minutes so we’ve got to run or we won’t make it!” And he's off like a flash.
Bless him. I had someone give us fastpasses to Buzz because they weren't going to be back that day before they expired. I felt horrible taking them, and eventually shared my knowledge. I'd like to think I sprinkled my own pixie dust that day.

You’ll notice DH and the kids in the bottom left of the pic. (DH is wearing The Back Pack.) He doesn’t waste time waiting on me anymore because I’m constantly stopping, so I run to catch up with them once I’m finished.

Borg!
Sweet and Salty Bars – peanut, not almond – for me and DH.
Borg!!! Love those bars....
nativity.jpg

How beautiful is that! We were there in December one year but missed our night time venture through the lights because it was cold and we were tired. Now I'm said.

DH exited the elevator right as we were sliding the room key in the door.

We walked in and there they were. Bunk beds.

Sweet. We had a deluxe room. Bunk beds. Day bed. Savannah view.
I can't tell you how excited I got for y'all after I read this!!!!! :banana: Way to go! Southern charm DOES work! But you knew that. ;)

And what is this? Two Mickey’d up gift baskets? One for the kids. One for us. We ripped into them to find all kinds of treats and treasures for our trip. The kids were crazy with excitement between the goodies in the basket and their bunk beds. I read the cards and it said the baskets were from Mickey and the gang.

I knew better, and shot a quick thank you to my girl LaLa for the treats. And I thought about how different a Disney trip was with all of you in my mind. How much more fun it was sharing it with you.

How super sweet was that?!?!! LaLa, I'll be sure to let you know where I'm staying the next time I go. ;)

:thumbsup2 Love it NM and I am glad we are only on the first day and we have lots more to go!!!! :)

:3dglasses :3dglasses

I am so behind, but SCORE on an upgrade.

I actually took a picture just for you at AKL. Must upload and will come back.

Awesome NM :banana: :banana: :banana:

NM - somewhere, not sure where, I saw a close up of an ornament , a picture you had taken. I was impressed and decided to try it out on the tree at AKL, knowing how much you liked it there.

So here is my attempt at photography. And I was thinking of you the whole time :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

December2006005.jpg

Pretty impressive if I say so myself, which I did :3dglasses

Grammy!!!

What the heck is that thing? But I'm flattered that you liked my ornament AND that you were thinking of me when you took this pic. And your photography skillz rock. :thumbsup2 Thanks for hopping on board! Catch up when you can!

Frick - Thanks for reading! I think someone said the Nativity is new. Which surprises me for several reasons. None of which I'll go into.

And I should feel bad that you helped out a total stranger with the Fastpass knowledge, while I let our friend run for his life to Tower of Terror. I should feel bad, but I don't.:teeth:

Lexmelinda - You are always so nice. Thanks for your comments. And no, Baby Jesus had no dancing lights. Even Disney knows better than that!

ZZUB - Thanks, buddy. For pointing out that there are two installments - written a week apart - on the same page. :teeth:

LaLa - Yeah, we do the "yo". In fact, instead of calling our phones a Blackberry (which I only have because it was two for the price of one) we call them "Yo phones". And here's an example of what my DH does to embarrass me with it. The other day I was in my Pilates class - small studio, only a couple of people, relaxing music, teacher very serious about what she does. And I hear from my purse...very loudly..."WORK IT!!!! COME ON!! YOU CAN DO IT!! NO PAIN, NO GAIN!!!" Followed by several grunts that sounded like a body builder. I couldn't get to my purse fast enough. I could have killed him, but everyone else was dying laughing.

NAB - Thanks for reading! I hope you'll stay on board!

Kay7979 - Thank you, too for reading! I appreciate your kind words!

Y'all take care!

NM

NM, I'm absolutely loving this trip report! It is great and I'm so glad that I found it. I must say the phone call from your husband during your class is hysterical! I can just picture it and can't stop laughing! :rotfl2:

Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

In fact, on any other Disney day at 12:30, we are throwing the “L” to all of the rookies entering the park to long ride lines and crowds.

This role reversal may make me look like one of “them”, but trust me. I am not.

Aww, sweetie, you could NEVER look like one of "them". (Wait, you don't wear a fanny pack, do you?!)

Then, out of nowhere, in a stealth move that Laid Back NM never saw coming, Commando NM slays Laid Back NM. And now it’s on like a chicken bone. I bark orders to DH.

HA! The commando always wins!!!:thumbsup2

My brain, which is often challenged by trying to remember what I had for breakfast, executed a plan with surprising ease.

Well, of course it did. Why the heck else do you think you've been spending so much time over here talking to Disney Dorks?

We had almost reached the Rock n’ Rollercoaster when DH “yo’d” me on the Nextel.

Jay "Yo's" me on the cell phone all the time!!! (Sorry, La!) Perhaps it's better because we don't have Nextels, though......

We catch up with DH and I turn the stroller around in the middle of the street. Very carefully so as not to be the object of a “jerk stroller driver” thread.

:lmao: :lmao:

Clearly frustrated that we aren't reading his body language, finally he says, “It was great seeing y’all, but our Fastpasses expire in five minutes so we’ve got to run or we won’t make it!” And he's off like a flash.

BORG with Frick. My first thought was "Bless him"!!! (She's contagious!!!)

I was starving by now and ready to dig into my first greasy counter service meal. A cheeseburger with fries sounded good. Or a hot dog. At a minimum, a sandwich with fries. I was disappointed to find that DH had ordered me a Chicken Caesar Wrap. Crap. What a letdown.

Poor NM! Make sure he understands. Vacation, for women anyway, is the perfect excuse to eat greasy, cheesy food. Drill it into him before the next trip. Oh, that and the fact that at least one ice cream a day is required.

We ate our lunch and moved on to the Beauty and the Beast show. As always, it was well done, and Four for a Dollar displayed some serious a capella talent in their pre-show.

Dontcha just love those guys?!

Sweet. We had a deluxe room. Bunk beds. Day bed. Savannah view.

Ya Hoo!!! :woohoo: Evidently, reports of your wimp out were greatly exaggerated. Either that or you are even more charming than you let on......

I read the cards and it said the baskets were from Mickey and the gang.

I knew better, and shot a quick thank you to my girl LaLa for the treats. And I thought about how different a Disney trip was with all of you in my mind. How much more fun it was sharing it with you.

You'd better believe it!! And how sweet is that LaLa girl, huh?!:hug:

Great installment, NM. I can't wait to hear about Thanksgiving Day in the World!!!!

NM, I've really been enjoying your trip report. I've been wondering what you thought about the crowds the week you were there. I am taking my DD for Thanksgiving week this year, our first mom/ daughter trip. Was it manageable?

NM, I've really been enjoying your trip report. I've been wondering what you thought about the crowds the week you were there. I am taking my DD for Thanksgiving week this year, our first mom/ daughter trip. Was it manageable?

Thanks for reading!

I've sent you a PM...I had more to say than I wanted to address here!

NM

Frick - Thanks for the bump, my girl. I hope eatin' popcorn all day didn't give you a tummy ache! :sick:

Fiona - I got your PM and all I can say is read carefully as to what we did! :teeth: And subscribe to Tour Guide Mike. PM me with any other questions! And have fun planning.

Ash - Yo! No. I don't wear a fanny pack. But I can so see one in my future when DH and I are empty-nesters roaming the World with DVC and AP's. I'll be sure he has on dark socks.

megandbrandon - Yes, the phone call during my class is a classic example of his immaturity. But he keeps life fun! Thanks for reading and I hope you'll stay tuned.

Thanks y'all! I'm putting the next installment up in a few. This post is just to turn the page. :teeth:

popcorn:: OK, Frick....I'll eat the popcorn while you do the laundry.

It took me a minute to completely wake up on this first morning at Disney, and for a quick second, I wondered why I felt anxious at home in my own bed. And then I remembered.

Oh yeah. I’m not in my own bed. We’re at Disney. And it’s Thanksgiving Day.

I was excited, of course. I mean, the joy you feel on your first full Disney day is practically cliché. But this was different. I was excited and anxious. Really anxious. Was this going to be a complete waste of time? Would the crowds turn the usual happy-as-all-get-out-because-we’re-at-Disney NM’s to the arguing I-told-you-it-would-be-crowded-and-miserable NM’s? Would my kids be whiny when we couldn’t do everything they wanted to do today?

Or worse.

Would I be the first Disser in DIS history to think that a good day at home is better than a bad day at Disney?

I couldn’t wait to find out. I got up to get my shower while DH went to fill our mugs. We had a quick cup of coffee together, discussed the Plan of the Day (POD), and got the kids up and ready. We didn’t have to worry about breakfast, because we were eating with Donald and the Gang at the Animal Kingdom. We just had to worry about getting there on time. Our ADR was for 8:00.

With everyone dressed and ready, and The Back Pack filled up and strapped on, we stepped out of the room and looked over into the lobby for a crowd check. Wow. People were everywhere! My anxiety was reaching Xanax levels. Not that I’ve ever taken a Xanax. But I’ve heard about it. And I’ve often thought it might be a good thing to have in The Back Pack. Anyway, these crowds might be worse than I had prepared myself and my family for.

But I didn’t let my concern show, and we happily headed off for the bus stop. Once there, I did a quick survey of the bus stop dynamics, and I determined Tour Guide Mike to be worth four times his subscription rate. He knows of what he speaks and I saw it right there with my own two eyes.

A bus for Magic Kingdom was pulled up as we arrived. It was filled to capacity with AKL guests, and left this many folks at the stop waiting on the next one.

I lightened the pic a little so you can see all the folks milling around.

MKbusstop.jpg

And this is what it looked like at our stop. For Animal Kingdom.

AKbusstop.jpg

Yep. Just us. The NM’s had the place to ourselves.

As we watched family after family come down the walk to the bus stops – then pass us by and go to the MK stop – my anxiety began to lessen. We might be OK. And Tour Guide Mike might just be Da Man. Sorry ZZUB.

After a short wait, the bus for Animal Kingdom arrived. Two for two on positive bus experiences if you’re counting. We hopped on, spread out among the empty seats, and gloated a little at how much smarter we obviously were than the rest of the Thanksgiving Day travelers.

Yes Siree Bob. I love me some Tour Guide Mike.

We arrived at the Animal Kingdom with time to spare, so of course I whipped out my camera for some shots of the Christmas decorations.

AKentrance.jpg

AKtree.jpg

tigger.jpg

Then we made our way to the turnstiles where they were checking ADR’s for the Donald Breakfast. Not to be confused with breakfast with The Donald. Or even Rosie O’Donnell.

The line was moving a little slow, so we stood there for a minute just waiting. I was in front of my family, with DH behind me settling the kids into the stroller. The stroller is key at Animal Kingdom. My sweets babies could never keep up with the pace if we couldn’t push them at breakneck speed in the stroller. Sorry if that offends you. Or if I’ve severed your Achilles’ in the process.

Anyway, I turn to DH to say something, and as I did, I saw a sight that made my heart skip a beat. And though my man can still have this effect on me after fourteen years, it wasn’t him that I saw.

It was a member of The Dream Team coming right toward the NM’s. I may be a dumb redneck, but at least I’m a Disney informed dumb redneck. And I knew what this character had in his magic bag. So in my mind, our day was all of a sudden gettin’ really good.

I didn’t even have time to prep DH for what was happening before the nice man was making conversation with us. I had read on the DIS that the prizes awarded are not random. That there is a method to the madness. So I wondered if we fit the criteria this guy was going for. I made a quick mental checklist of things he might be looking for.

Wearing Disney logos? No.

Disney rookies? Clearly no.

Adorable children in love with The Mouse and worthy of the Dream Fastpass? Of course.

The Dream Team member was a precious older man with white hair. His countenance was sweet and he sidled up to our family and said “Good morning! How are you all doing today?”

I used my fake non-redneck accent and tried to look as Disneyfied as I could without the help of a fanny pack and Walt Disney World 2006 T-shirt. “We’re great!” I said. “We’re looking forward to our day – especially getting to ride Expedition Everest.”

Which we could really use a Dream Fastpass for, I said with my eyes.

The nice man said “Ooooh. You’re gonna have a great time. Is this your first visit to Walt Disney World?”

My hope faded faster than a summer tan because I knew that was probably my magic criteria. It would have to be our first visit to get the Fastpasses. Snap. We are far from first-timers.

My Dream Fastpass was gonna be awarded to some rookie who wouldn’t appreciate it. Who would mumble an insincere “thanks” for something they couldn’t realize the value of.

But we’re so deserving! We just bought Annual Passes! We just committed every vacation dollar we spend for the next year to The World! GIVE ME THE FREAKIN’ FASTPASSES!!!!!

The sweet man knew nothing of the monologue in my head, especially when I smiled at him and responded “Oh no, it isn’t our first time. In fact, it’s our third. In just one year. We’ve been to Disney many times. We love it.”

My daughter piped in that she had just had her birthday and that she’s spent her birthday at Disney World three times.

Oh yeah, baybee!! That’s my girl! Certainly cute little blonde girls with beautiful blue eyes and great conversation skills can score the Dream Fastpass!

“Well, I’ll tell you what,” he said. “I may have a little something in my bag for you.”

My hope sprang forth again. The Fast Pass!! We’re getting the Fast Pass!!

He dug around in his messenger bag and pulled something out.

“Here you go. Happy Birthday!”

BirthdayButton587x520.jpg

It was a Birthday button. A freakin’ birthday button. My daughter, not realizing what had just slipped through our Disney-lovin’ fingers, was truly gracious and excited. And she felt really special when he handed her a Sharpie and told her to write her name on the button so everyone would know who the Birthday Girl was.

Not to exclude the rest of the family, the Dream Team member dug around in his bag some more and gave DH and I “Honorary Citizen” buttons and my son an Incredibles button that was for Magical Gatherings. I’m not sure when a family of four became a “Magical Gathering”, but my son can’t read so he was thrilled.

hcbutton.jpg

magicgath.jpg

By this time, we were at the turnstiles and we bid our new friend goodbye. We checked in with the host and made our way to Dinoland for breakfast.

We’ve had the breakfast here before, and while breakfast food in buffet style brings me great joy, this character meal was booked for one reason only.

Strategic placement for the Power Walk to Expedition Everest. Which is my girl and I’s favorite ride in the entire World. Or the entire world even. It’s AWESOME. And we wanted to ride stand-by and score some Fastpasses in one fell swoop that Thanksgiving morning.

Because of the child-swap, this strategy would ensure my daughter of at least three rides on this incredible coaster. And five rides if the Fastpasses weren’t gone by the time our next FP availability time came around.

As stressful as this whole commando approach to the first ten minutes of our day at Animal Kingdom may seem to you, it’s actually a lot of fun for the NM’s. We love to formulate a good battle plan. And we love it even more when it works with great success. Which at that point in our Disney history, it always had.

So breakfast was good, and we were parked at the rope in Dinoland by 8:50. Chatting it up with the CM’s that held all The Power. The CM’s that carry the rope to Everest. With a herd of wild Disney commandos power walking behind them. Competing to beat the herd of wild Disney commandos behind the OTHER rope that comes from the park entrance. Both herds headed to the most coveted destination in the Animal Kingdom. If the adrenaline involved in that race could be used in my everyday running, I’d be the next Flo Jo.

So 9:00 finally arrived. And the CM’s started walking and carrying the rope. And reminding everyone that we HAD to walk. Jovial protests came from the crowd. “But the crowd at the park entrance will beat us!” The CM’s responded “You’ll be seconds ahead of them!” Not good enough. We all wanted to be first by a long shot! I had a feeling we weren’t the only ones who used the Donald Breakfast as a battle strategy.

I wish I had taken a picture of the madness. That’s really the only way to describe it. But it was happy madness. Everyone was having fun. In fact, I enjoy running in road races here and there, and this whole scene reminded me of the energy and excitement that proceeds the gun going off before a race. But to take a picture would have possibly cost me some time, so I’ll just have to use what I have.

Picture our group coming over the bridge on the right, as the other group approaches the ride from the left. Who would win?

everest.jpg

We would. But only by seconds.

BOOYAH!!!

DH and Little Man went to the Fastpass machine, while my daughter and I hopped in line. And guess what? The dadgum rollercoaster was having some problems. But I was certain it would be up and running shortly, and when it was, we were gonna be some of the first ones on the train. After the boys secured the Fastpasses, they came around to stand with us until the CM could see that we qualified for the child swap. We got the blessed child swap pass, and the guys went to Dinoland.

While the girls waited. And waited. And waited. My daughter was so excited she could hardly contain herself.

Finally they made the announcement. The coaster was ready to go. And we started into the queue. It’s so well themed in there, but we didn’t have time to look. We had a train to catch.

We boarded the train and I looked at my daughter and grabbed her hand. We grinned from ear to ear and squealed like only girls can do. As we pulled out of the station, I knew that no matter what else we were able to do that Thanksgiving day, we’d already done enough. We'd done what we came to do.

And it was worth every minute of the effort.

[post=16989571] Next Chapter [/post]

NM!!!! Wow! I appreciate you posting that installment one minute after I started eating my popcorn. Thank you! And good job, girl. Lotsa funny today!
My anxiety was reaching Xanax levels. Not that I’ve ever taken a Xanax.
Nicolemarie: Xanax Junkie. Nope. Doesn't fit. Thanks for clearing that up. ;)
And Tour Guide Mike might just be Da Man. Sorry ZZUB.
I'll second that!!!
It was a member of The Dream Team coming right toward the NM’s. I may be a dumb redneck, but at least I’m a Disney informed dumb redneck. And I knew what this character had in his magic bag. So in my mind, our day was all of a sudden gettin’ really good.
This was so exciting. I just knew something great was gonna happen!
GIVE ME THE FREAKIN’ FASTPASSES!!!!!
Commando NM slays Laid Back NM again!:lmao:
It was a Birthday button. A freakin’ birthday button.
NNOOOOOOO! :eek:
We’ve had the breakfast here before, and while breakfast food in buffet style brings me great joy, this character meal was booked for one reason only.
The Timing.....is everything! Good job!
Cool! Something to be thankful for! I must say the "other" TGM entrance worked well for us, too! I can understand your concern though on Thanksgiving Day.

As we watched family after family come down the walk to the bus stops – then pass us by and go to the MK stop – my anxiety began to lessen. We might be OK. And Tour Guide Mike might just be Da Man. Sorry ZZUB.

After a short wait, the bus for Animal Kingdom arrived. Two for two on positive bus experiences if you’re counting. We hopped on, spread out among the empty seats, and gloated a little at how much smarter we obviously were than the rest of the Thanksgiving Day travelers.

Yes Siree, Bob. I love me some Tour Guide Mike.
Isn't that the BEST feeling? Bwaahahaaaa!!!

My daughter piped in that she had just had her birthday and that she’s spent her birthday at Disney World three times.

Oh yeah, baybee!! That’s my girl! Certainly cute little blonde girls with beautiful blue eyes and great conversation skills can score the Dream Fastpass!

“Well, I’ll tell you what,” he said. “I may have a little something in my bag for you.”

My heart was pounding here. I just knew you were heading to the front of the EE line. Y'all had to be the cutest, most deserving family there that day.

Strategic placement for the Power Walk to Expedition Everest. Which is my girl and I’s favorite ride in the entire World. Or the entire world even. It’s AWESOME. And we wanted to ride stand-by and score some Fastpasses in one fell swoop that Thanksgiving morning.
Now I have just learned something here. I have never thought of this little strategy! I am guessing Mr. NM is not a coaster man either? I guess he didn't have a choice that day! I love EE!
Your pic and story are awesome!

Happy Thanksgiving.
Jam

NM said:
Well, I’ll tell you what,” he said. “I may have a little something in my bag for you.”

Ahahahahahaha! You got me! I was sure you got the life time Disney Passes or the DVC membership.:confused3 I am sooooo sorry it was just a dang button. But a Happy Birthday button at Disney is better than a birthday cake at home!:thumbsup2

Can't believe I missed this TR. Wait a minute, yes I can. I don't come around these parts much anymore.

I AM IN!:)

Oh! That is too funny! I'm surprised the Dream Squad CM didn't see the Dream Fastpass 'look' in your eyes and run the other way! (Like they did with us!) A button! I can't believe it! :sad2: At least you guys got something! We talked with about a half dozen of those dream bagged people and didn't get a d*mn thing! Sheesh!

Nothing like Everest first thing in the morning on a full stomach! :thumbsup2

Great chapter!!!

-Michelle

Great installment, NM! Trust me. When you are part of a Magical Gathering that includes the entire family, Xanax is a MUST. If only for those few days. I think percoset would have worked well, too.:laughing:

Woo Hoo! I love me a new NM installment!

Okay, so I have yet to have a run in with these supposed "Dream Team" members. But I'm starting to think that part of their jobs is to frustrate the heck out of those of us who are "in the know"! I'm hearing way too many stories about Dream Team fake outs. Buttons, Certificates, blah, blah, blah. Give us some frickin (NOF) Dream Fastpasses!! Well, except for Kimmie, cause she already got some. We need someone "on the inside" to let us in on the "secret ingredients" that they're looking for. Mark, Rhonda, c'mon, make some phone calls!!!

Love all the TGM kudos, too. I just re-upped for the third time!! He's awfully dorky, but the man knows his stuff!! (And, besides, dorky isn't all that bad, is it?)

Would I be the first Disser in DIS history to think that a good day at home is better than a bad day at Disney?

I think the fact that you refer to yourself as a "Disser" is a pretty strong indication that the answer to this one is gonna be no.

Not that I’ve ever taken a Xanax. But I’ve heard about it.

Okay, this killed me. So borg. I refer to Valium and Xanax all the time. But I've never taken either. That I know of anyway.

Ahhh, memories....

Then we made our way to the turnstiles where they were checking ADR’s for the Donald Breakfast. Not to be confused with breakfast with The Donald. Or even Rosie O’Donnell.

Now that's a character meal I'd love to see them implement. One thing's for sure. It wouldn't be boring. Ugly for sure. But not boring.

Wearing Disney logos? No. Disney rookies? Clearly no.

Isn't that an oxymoron during The Year of a Million Dreams Promotion/Celebration? Frankly, I'm surprised at you.

BirthdayButton587x520.jpg

It was a Birthday button. A freakin’ birthday button.

OH NO! NOT A BIRTHDAY BUTTON! That stinks. I am so sorry, my girl. I feel your pain. But I gotta tell ya, that smokin' Honorary Citizen button and Magical Gatherings button more than makes up for it I think. Cause who wouldn't want a couple of those?

We boarded the train and I looked at my daughter and grabbed her hand. We grinned from ear to ear and squealed like only girls can do. As we pulled out of the station, I knew that no matter what else we were able to do that Thanksgiving day, we’d already done enough. We'd done what we came to do.

NM my girl, I loved this. I can hear the girly squealing and I can see the grins. And in my mind's eye, yall are too cute. Glad you got the jump on the competition first thing that morning. I can't wait to hear how the rest of your Thanksgiving Day in the World turned out.

:laundy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter