are we doing Genie+ wrong? here now

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
ok either I misunderstand or we are doing this wrong. we had a LL for Peter Pan at 1125 (booked at 7) at 11 we booked an LL for Splash for after lunch. then we road our 1125 Peter Pan, now we are trying to book another LL (it's 1146 right now) and it says we can't til 1pm. I understand that's 2hrs after we booked our Splash

BUT I thought it was 2hrs after you book OR once you tap a LL (Peter Pan)
Splash is currently the only LL in our queue

In mid - June, it was 2 hours after your last LL booked, so 1 would be correct. You can now modify a LL without restarting the clock, which you couldn’t do in June. We’ll see if more “frequent flyers” have more accurate info.

Think of your 7:00am LL as a bonus. Then, the G+ clock starts ticking at park opening so from that point on it's 2 hours or after tapping.

ok either I misunderstand or we are doing this wrong. we had a LL for Peter Pan at 1125 (booked at 7) at 11 we booked an LL for Splash for after lunch. then we road our 1125 Peter Pan, now we are trying to book another LL (it's 1146 right now) and it says we can't til 1pm. I understand that's 2hrs after we booked our Splash

It is confusing. As a WDW veteran visitor, I was also confused by the timing of passes.

As soon as you book any pass, try booking another one. MDE will say it is too early, but should also tell you when you can book your next pass. Set an alarm. (Though keep reading, because you can often book a pass earlier than that.)

In your above scenario, if the second pass was booked at 11am, and is for a time later than 1pm, then you will not be able to book your 3rd pass until 2 hours have passed, which =1pm.

Booking your NEXT pass is based on the timing of the most recently booked pass. If you are able to USE the Splash pass before1pm, then you will be able to book another as soon as you use it. If you can't use the Splash pass until 1pm or later, then your next booking time is 1pm. BUT if you can use the pass prior to 1pm, then you will be able to book another pass earlier than 1pm.

If you wish, you can attempt to modify the Splash pass for something that is closer to now. You might even be offered a better (earlier) return time for Splash. If you get a pass for an earlier time, and use it, you would then be able to book your next pass sooner.

You cannot book another LL after tapping into Peter Pan because it is not your most-recently-booked LL. The tap-in rule only applies to the most-recently-booked LL. Once you booked Splash and it became your most-recently-booked LL, whatever you did with Peter Pan (tap in, modify, or let it expire) no longer mattered with regard to booking your next LL.

It was different when Genie+ was first introduced, and people took advantage by not tapping in until after they used the 2-hour rule to book another LL and then booking another once they tapped in, but Disney corrected that oversight in November 2021.

I really wish they would just do like Universal where you would pay x amount for an express pass or whatever the name would be or get it included with deluxe resorts and get to go in the special line for most rides at each of the parks and not have to constantly be on your phone to reserve rides.

this is how genie+ worked the first month it was out, but i think the loophole is now closed.

now i believe you get a new selection the sooner of:
- 2 hours after you made your last selection (or park open, whichever was later)
- when you fully tap into your last selection

I really wish they would just do like Universal where you would pay x amount for an express pass or whatever the name would be or get it included with deluxe resorts and get to go in the special line for most rides at each of the parks and not have to constantly be on your phone to reserve rides.
Disney has too many deluxe resorts to give a skip the line service for "free" to. Universal only has 3 so it's easier that way. Express also does not include the two most popular rides at the resort and the rides I would argue people would really want on Express - Hagrid's and Velocicoaster.

We are so disappointed in this whole system of Genie+ and LL. We have enjoyed our trips to WDW to disconnect. It is no longer possible to preplan and then enjoy. Being connected at 7:00 am and then being on a phone all day is too much tech for us. And getting a menu.................. Hope you are able to figure this all out and have a great trip. We have let our APs lapse after many years. We miss our old WDW.

....am i getting old or is this getting ridiculously confusing?
I agree it is confusing, and I strongly dislike having to pay, but on our most recent trip we were able to get quite a few passes on the days we bought it.

I would only buy it on day where we plan to be in the parks most or all of the day, and also have the day free. The fewer ADR's and other bookings, the better.

It also works best on days where MK is open late AND you can hop to MK, and days you plan to be in MK all day.

HS has long lines without G+, but also limited G+ options.

I agree it is confusing, and I strongly dislike having to pay, but on our most recent trip we were able to get quite a few passes on the days we bought it.

I would only buy it on day where we plan to be in the parks most or all of the day, and also have the day free. The fewer ADR's and other bookings, the better.

It also works best on days where MK is open late AND you can hop to MK, and days you plan to be in MK all day.

HS has long lines without G+, but also limited G+ options.
we are at Animal Kingdom today, we didn't buy G+ for today but wouldn't have needed it anyways because we skipped Pandora and every where else has been dead. longest wait was Everest which was maybe 15 min? DH decided at 430 he wanted an ILL for FoP 🤦🏼‍♀️ I can't even cope with him hahaha, needless to say he didn't get it

Last edited:
we are at Animal Kingdom today, we didn't buy G+ for today but wouldn't have needed it anyways because we skipped Pandora and every where else has been dead. longest wait was Everest which was maybe 15 min? DH decided at 430 he wanted an ILL for FoP 🤦🏼‍♀️ I can't even cope with him hahaha, needless to say he didn't get it
Over the summer we didn't buy it for AK either.

Why does it all need to be so complicated? Why can’t we just go back to the old FastPass system. We (as a DVC Family) used to have so much fun racing from one end of a park to another to get a free fastpass and we were so excited when we scored! We didn’t even mind it too much when they transitioned to giving you virtual FP’s when you booked a Disney trip and had to schedule three rides in advance. We were able to schedule our rides several months in advance, which allowed us to enjoy family time in the parks without any hassles. We could also plan time back at the hotel for the young ones to take a nap while the older ones enjoyed some pool time. We never had to worry about mental breakdowns while we were in the park like so many do now. Now I’m the one having a mental breakdown just thinking about how I’m going to manage my next park visit and cope with Genie+ and LL. At this point, I’m one DVC Member that thinks I’ve seen my last park days for quite some time! I’ll use my points and enjoy the DVC hotels, but doubt I’ll be entering a gate at rope drop any time soon.

Why does it all need to be so complicated?..... We were able to schedule our rides several months in advance, which allowed us to enjoy family time in the parks without any hassles. We could also plan time back at the hotel for the young ones to take a nap while the older ones enjoyed some pool time. .......

Seriously, G+ was the answer to the people complaining that they had to plan their parks two months in advance, and it gave a serious advantage to resort guests. Disney feels that G+ is the solution to making things equitable between resort and non-resort guests, at least in the area of line skipping and to remove the "mental breakdown" of those who had to plan their entire day 2 months in advance. Non-planners complained about Fastpass+. Planners complain about G+.

Who wins in this scenario? Seriously?

We (as a DVC Family) used to have so much fun racing from one end of a park to another to get a free fastpass and we were so excited when we scored!

G+ is the same thing except it removes the running around part. It also allows you to book your first selection at 7am instead of having to run to the first fastpass machine once you enter the park. Of course you can only get a selection for each attraction once, and you have to pay for it, but the booking process itself is better than what you describe.

Seriously, G+ was the answer to the people complaining that they had to plan their parks two months in advance, and it gave a serious advantage to resort guests. Disney feels that G+ is the solution to making things equitable between resort and non-resort guests, at least in the area of line skipping and to remove the "mental breakdown" of those who had to plan their entire day 2 months in advance. Non-planners complained about Fastpass+. Planners complain about G+.

G+ is the same thing except it removes the running around part. It also allows you to book your first selection at 7am instead of having to run to the first fastpass machine once you enter the park. Of course you can only get a selection for each attraction once, and you have to pay for it, but the booking process itself is better than what you describe.
If I didn’t get into bed until 2 am or later then the last thing I want to do is wake up before 7 am just to get into an app and try to schedule a ride for that day. For me that would be the start of a mental breakdown for the rest of my day!

If Disney is planning to keep the reservation system then there would be absolutely no advantage for resort guests. Everyone who scheduled time to be in the park on a specific day should be able to schedule a ride once the reservation is made or at least two months in advance like before. (IMHO)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!