are we doing Genie+ wrong? here now

Seriously, G+ was the answer to the people complaining that they had to plan their parks two months in advance, and it gave a serious advantage to resort guests. Disney feels that G+ is the solution to making things equitable between resort and non-resort guests, at least in the area of line skipping and to remove the "mental breakdown" of those who had to plan their entire day 2 months in advance. Non-planners complained about Fastpass+. Planners complain about G+.

Who wins in this scenario? Seriously?

G+ is the same thing except it removes the running around part. It also allows you to book your first selection at 7am instead of having to run to the first fastpass machine once you enter the park. Of course you can only get a selection for each attraction once, and you have to pay for it, but the booking process itself is better than what you describe.
I'm inclined to think WDW swapped to G+ because G+ is better for WDW. WDW could come up with something that is easy and non-stressful to use.

Hey Bob and Josh.
I realize your Genie+ is a cash cow for your company, but the majority of your guests do not like, or want this. They are forced to purchase it, so they may have some hope of getting on a good attraction. If guests had their true choice, your genie would be stuffed back into the bottle from which it was released!!! Please scrap this along with your reservation system.

I know I am an outlier here, but we actually liked Genie +. We have used maxpass at DL and found it very similar. I never liked scheduling the 3 free ones months in advance. We are early morning rope droppers so we would schedule our hardest to get one at 7. Get as many headliners in during early entry, and morning ( significantly slower in the mornings) usually by 2nd selection, we used it for rides that had quick return times and was able to do a bunch quickly because we would tap in and immediately make another. Later in the day, we would stack a couple for evening if we came back after a late afternoon break to rest, swim, and eat dinner. This worked especially well in MK. Didn’t feel it was stressful and wasn’t really on our phones too much. We were pleasantly surprised. There will never be a stress free way to do WDW. Not saying I like paying for it, but I did see value in it, and it’s better than waiting in long standby lines. We didn’t wait over 1/2 hr all week for anything and rode absolutely everything we wanted, sometimes twice (and had to mess with child swap) and still were mostly done in the parks by 3-4 and some days earlier.

Last edited:
I know I am an outlier here, but we actually liked Genie +. We have used maxpass at DL and found it very similar. I never liked scheduling the 3 free ones months in advance. We are early morning rope droppers so we would schedule our hardest to get one at 7. Get as many headliners in during early entry, and morning ( significantly slower in the mornings) usually by 2nd selection, we used it for rides that had quick return times and was able to do a bunch quickly because we would tap in and immediately make another. Later in the day, we would stack a couple for evening if we came back after a late afternoon break to rest, swim, and eat dinner. This worked especially well in MK. Didn’t feel it was stressful and wasn’t really on our phones too much. We were pleasantly surprised. There will never be a stress free way to do WDW. Not saying I like paying for it, but I did see value in it, and it’s better than waiting in long standby lines. We didn’t wait over 1/2 hr all week for anything and rode absolutely everything we wanted, sometimes twice (and had to mess with child swap) and still were mostly done in the parks by 3-4 and some days earlier.
I feel like it only seems to work that way for MK because of the sheer number of attractions.

We tour in a similar fashion, there at opening, midday break, back in the evening. But whenever I run through scenarios on using it this way in Hollywood Studios it works out to 3 maaaybe 4 rides? At a cost of about $25 bucks a ride for a family of four?

Or am I just expecting too much?

I feel like it only seems to work that way for MK because of the sheer number of attractions.

We tour in a similar fashion, there at opening, midday break, back in the evening. But whenever I run through scenarios on using it this way in Hollywood Studios it works out to 3 maaaybe 4 rides? At a cost of about $25 bucks a ride for a family of four?

Or am I just expecting too much?
We did not use it for AK, no value there. We debated using it at Epcot and opted to purchase it. I think we got 4 rides out of it. MK we got 8. We did a 1/2 day in HS and did not purchase it (plan was just Star Wars stuff and did so much more) and did a while day later in the week and I think we got 4 there also but the only day we went back in the evening was MK. I feel we could have done all the attractions we wanted at HS on day 1 with Genie+ And could have saved paying another park day. I thought it worked great for the smaller attractions that had quick return times. Even if the attraction only had a 15 minute wait, it saved 15 minutes of standing, because we could walk right on and get another Genie+ selection. Most of my party was young adults looking for more thrill and those rides have longer times between return windows. At that point we struggled to find a short filler attraction especially at HS. Not saying it was perfect but it worked better than I thought it would and last week it was Only $15 a person so that helped too

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter