Are value resorts decent for older couple.

We stayed at POP last August and found the resort to be very nice. A nice feature is that there is the bridge connecting you to AoA so you can visit over there. The only problem is that you are planning your vacation during Spring Break. The Values may be crowded. If you get a room on the outskirts it may be quieter.

I am 67 and we have stayed at all the values because we travel with my DD and her family and that is what they can afford. My favorite is ASMusic. We got a [referred room, ground floor by the pool. It was great. I also use a scooter and it fit just fine by the table & chairs. The pool is large enough trhat there is always a quiet spot even during the day. The food courts are good. If you go for an early breakfast go before 8 am. We often take a cab if going to a resort for dinner if not going right from a park.

My husband and I are in our mid 50's and the last 4 out of 5 trips we have stayed at Pop. We love it there. We spend all day at the parks and feel spending extras money on a room isn't necessary. Also, when we have traveled with our 3 sons and need an extra room it's cheaper. We have traveled from Wilderness Lodge to Pop by taxi and with tip it cost $20 which included tip (one way). We were at the Magic Kingdom and took transportation from there to Wilderness. I had requested a king bed on our last trip but didn't get one. Having two beds was just like having one king. :rotfl2: His and Hers!! :) Happy Planning!!!

I just returned from 4 nts at Sports with my brother-in-law who uses a scooter. We had a HA room with roll-in shower than was on the third floor of Bldg 1. Even though it was the height of spring break (the week following Easter), the resort didn't seem super busy, and we enjoyed the location near the pool.

I thought the beds were very comfortable -- nobody in our party had any complaints in that area. I just wish the park hours would have let me sleep in more! :rotfl:

It's so easy to use Disney transportation with a scooter. It may not be as easy to get a cab that will accommodate one if you decide to go with that plan, or be sure to make a request for a taxi van that will accommodate the scooter and be sure to ask if there is an extra charge. Might not be, but it doesn't hurt to ask (we haven't used a HA taxi so wouldn't know).

I've stayed in all levels of resorts at WDW and this stay at Sports was actually one of my favorites. The location was quiet, we were so close to the food court and it had a lot of variety and options (a great hand-dipped ice cream counter with milkshakes for example). It was a quick ride to any of the parks. I had always heard horror stories about the values -- and there were a lot of spots teams and teen groups staying there -- but we didn't experience any of the negatives people talk about.

I just returned from 4 nts at Sports with my brother-in-law who uses a scooter. We had a HA room with roll-in shower than was on the third floor of Bldg 1. Even though it was the height of spring break (the week following Easter), the resort didn't seem super busy, and we enjoyed the location near the pool.

I thought the beds were very comfortable -- nobody in our party had any complaints in that area. I just wish the park hours would have let me sleep in more! :rotfl:

It's so easy to use Disney transportation with a scooter. It may not be as easy to get a cab that will accommodate one if you decide to go with that plan, or be sure to make a request for a taxi van that will accommodate the scooter and be sure to ask if there is an extra charge. Might not be, but it doesn't hurt to ask (we haven't used a HA taxi so wouldn't know).

I've stayed in all levels of resorts at WDW and this stay at Sports was actually one of my favorites. The location was quiet, we were so close to the food court and it had a lot of variety and options (a great hand-dipped ice cream counter with milkshakes for example). It was a quick ride to any of the parks. I had always heard horror stories about the values -- and there were a lot of spots teams and teen groups staying there -- but we didn't experience any of the negatives people talk about.

I've stayed in most of the resorts too, and the Sports is one that I keep going back to as well. It just has a very laid back comfortable feeling. The area around the surfs up pool especially has a nice atmosphere.

I admit. I'm nit much if a value resort fan, but if I did stay at a value, I'd pic AoA. We've only stayed at Pop one night Pre package at WL.

Given the mobility difficulty I'd suggest a stay at POFQ. It's a small resort, compact and easy to get around. And beautiful landscaping.

The standard Mermaid rooms at AoA are a loooong way from the main bldg. For the person with the scooter it may not seem bad, but the non-scooting companion might not appreciate it. :) We stayed there in Dec. I was in a HA suite with my parents, but my BIL and sister were in LM with their scooter and a non HA room because there were non available for booking. It was a long haul just from Lion King over to their room. And their room didn't have much space for the ECV. so if choosing AoA with a scooter, definitely get a HA room with wheelchair access.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

Thanks so much everyone I will price all resorts when the packages come out for 2014. If the price is good then I think I will have to try it. I also planned on eating at the parks on tose days there and maybe cab it from resort at least after dinner. I have a lot of fun choosing differant resteraunts that we haven't tried yet. Nan

We have stayed at the Poly several times but on our last trip, we tried ASMo. Although they are two very different experiences, they are also two very different price levels. That being said, we found ASMo to fit our needs (and budget). However, my biggest issue with ASMo (and since it had just been renovated, I'm assuming the issue is the same at all the Values)...I thought the beds were miserably uncomfortable!!

I've never had an issue with a bed at Disney (always stayed Deluxe) in the past. I'm always dog tired so sleep has never been an issue for me at Disney...except when we stayed at ASMo. It felt like I was sleeping on a board and I tossed and turned every night.

That's just my 2 cents worth. Will it keep me from staying there again? Absolutely not. I just won't expect "good sleep" next time like I've always had at the Deluxe resorts. ;)

I did enjoy the food court much more than at AKL and Poly...a lot more variety. Yes, it can get busy, but we always avoid the busy meal times so it wasn't an issue for us.

Have a great trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter