"Are these underwear yours?" DIS Viking Italian Sojourn 2018 TR *COMPLETE* 10/14 New TR Link!

Continuing to be utterly breathtakingly beautiful, and I continue to be grateful to you and your hubby for sharing! I'm surprised that they let you touch the foot of that statue to St. Peter, and that there is any of a foot left, just thinking of the kabillions of people who have touched it over the years! Seeing the Pieta made me emotional, I'm not ashamed to admit. :) And oh yeah - slobbering looking at the food photos. Again.

Thanks for continuing to follow! I'm so glad you're enjoying it.

The foot is really rubbed down to the point there are really no toes left anymore. Last time, we had to wait in a long line to touch the foot because the Basilica was so full!

Seeing the Pieta last time had me in full-blown tears. It was SO emotional seeing it for the first time ever! It was a very moving experience.

What a wonderful tour and the pictures are just so beautiful. Good decision to take an early tour and avoid the worst of the crowds. Anxious to hear about boarding your cruise ship!

It was tough getting up so early but SO worth it!!! It was great for enjoying the highlights without all of the crowds.

While looking at Dustin's pictures, I couldn't help but wonder.... Does he enjoy the tours looking through a viewfinder and trying to find the perfect shot or does he focus on the pictures at the time and then relive the experience later when looking them over. I remember times when I was video recording an event like a child's event and not feeling like I was there taking part in it because I am confined to looking at it through a viewfinder.

Chris

I ask him this all of the time. I make sure to tell him sometimes (especially in Disney with the kids) to just enjoy it sometimes, especially when he can't get setup for the fireworks shots he wants or something like that.

Thanks for sharing all the amazing pictures - and I am glad that the tour we took worked out well, I think. While I am sure I would have loved to see all of the museum, I think we hit up at lot of the key things and getting to experience the Sistine Chapel with very few people was really a special experience - I know I got pretty emotional during it (for the religious element but also one of those "I never thought I would ever actually be physically here" moments)

It was a really great tour, so I'm glad we were all able to take it together! I felt the same way when we went with ABD. I couldn't stop crying because I couldn't believe I was seeing it in person!

Just thought I would point out that in these pictures where you see the line of people that crosses the entrance to the square and basically looks like a long line of ants - that is the line of people waiting to get in that didn't do a tour ... so I think for what we paid it was worth every penny!

Good point. It was crazy how much more crowded it was by the time our tour was over. Totally worth the price for that tour. We really enjoyed all of the City Wonders tours we booked.

Oh, and you sort of left off the key point of the Capuchin Friar crypt - in that it is a crypt entirely decorated in human skeletons/remains ... it's beautiful in the patterns they made with pelvises and stuff, but also a tad creepy!

If anyone wants, a quick google image search of "Capuchin Friar crypt" will bring up a bunch of images - didn't want to scare anyone!

You're right! I glossed over it since I went into detail in my last TR but I forget other people are reading this one that likely missed my ABD TR.

Beautiful pictures from the basilica. Alex wanted to climb to the top of the copula, too, but when I saw that I had to pay to climb 500+ steps I politely declined. Looks like the view was amazing, though. Glad Dustin got the opportunity to experience it while you got an uncrowded view of the Pieta. Such a breathtaking statue.

Your lunch sounded like it was delicious, glad you guys stumbled upon the place and found some great dishes!

YES! You want me to PAY to climb a million steps?!

001.jpg

At least I get to enjoy the photos and pretend I was there! lol

It was amazing to get right up to the Pieta with only a couple other people. It was absolutely mobbed just 15 minutes later when DH returned from climbing to the top of the dome.

That lunch was seriously so good! I wish we had found that place sooner. We probably would have eaten there a lot more!!

I don't know if I'd be up for climbing all those steps either! But looks like a stunning view once they made it.

Glad this was a great tour for you all!

Climbing steps sure ain't my thing, so I wasn't too disappointed to sit out. lol It was a beautiful view, so at least I get to enjoy the photos!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1
Just going through this for the first time (Joe and Trish). Thanks for the memories, especially of the food tour :) Have enjoyed everything so far and as everyone has already said awesome photos!! Much better than the ones I took ;)

Just going through this for the first time (Joe and Trish). Thanks for the memories, especially of the food tour :) Have enjoyed everything so far and as everyone has already said awesome photos!! Much better than the ones I took ;)

Thanks for joining in! We enjoyed sharing the food tour with y'all!! :)

Before getting on with our afternoon, @TheMaxRebo pointed out that I kind of glossed over the crypt visit, so I pulled the excerpt from our ABD TR when we did it the first time to share. There's a couple of pics I pulled from the internet, so if bones freak you out, scroll fast!

Once we were done in the church, we went over to the museum part where we paid a few Euro each to enter. There were no photos allowed beyond this point, which is a shame because we saw some really interesting things in there. It was filled with lots of artwork including paintings and small carvings, along with some belongings of the Capuchin friars who used to reside there. It took us about 20 minutes to walk through the museum, and then we made it to the Capuchin Crypt.

This was seriously one of the most strangely interesting things I have ever laid eyes on. The Capuchin friars would take the remains of their brothers who had died and used their bones to create these elaborate rooms in the crypts where bones covered almost every inch of the walls. There were hanging fixtures of bones, patterns of bones on the ceiling, furniture and scenes created out of bones, and even full sized skeletons on display! I borrowed a couple of pics from Wikipedia just to give you an idea of what I’m trying to describe.

Capuchin Crypts
by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Capuchin Crypts

You walk along one wall, and there are several alcoves you pass where the bones depict different scenes or are displayed differently. There’s one room of bones that shows Jesus raising Lazarus. Then there are other rooms completely decorated in one kind of bone, like a room of skulls, one of pelvises, etc. It was kind of macabre, but it is meant to remind us all of our own mortality so in that way, I found it kind of cool.

Day 3 Continued: Saturday March 24th

We got back to the hotel just as what appeared to be our ride was arriving. There were two large black vans parked outside and a flurry of activity in the lobby. Kevin (@CousinOrville) had set up transportation for 12 of us prior to the trip, which was so great of him to organize. Everyone gathered their luggage and we loaded up 6 of us in each van. We were riding with Phil & Judi, and Chris & Chuck, our travel buddies from our ABD trip!

The drive to the port in Civitavecchia was about an hour and we were on the road by about 2 pm. We all talked for a little while but soon enough there were a lot of van naps happening.

We arrived in Civitavecchia a little after 3, and soon we could see our ship waiting for us in port!

Viking 04-112

As soon as we hopped out of the van, there were already porters there ready to take our luggage.

Viking 04-113

Unfortunately there is photographic evidence that none of us paid attention to this sign and walked into the wrong entrance.

Viking 04-114

We got ourselves turned around and made it to the check-in area.

Viking 04-115

We had our passports checked and answered a few health questions before going through the metal detectors and sending our carry-on bags and backpacks through the scanners.

As we boarded the ship, we were greeted with apples, champagne, and hot towels.

Since it was after 3 pm, we had immediate access to our room, so we went straight there first to check it out. We were in room 3034. We had picked that room because it was the closest to the middle of the ship for the category we were booking, and it was close to the laundry room and a set of elevators.

All of the rooms on the Viking ocean ships are verandah rooms so we always had a view of the port.

The only complaint I had about the bathroom was the water pressure and temperature in the shower. But after the first night I started taking my showers in the afternoon as soon as we got back on the ship while probably less people were doing the same, and it was better that way. The floors of the bathroom were heated, which was absolutely heavenly in the mornings!

Although DH is the photographer between the two of us, I got a couple on my phone. Good thing I’m not doing all the photos for this trip!

Untitled

Untitled

While we were checking out the room, our luggage was delivered, so we were able to quickly unpack our clothes.
Before our trip, we had received a little gift from Dreams Unlimited Travel! They had sent us these large circle magnets with our cruise route on them, and there were 2…1 to keep at home and 1 to put on our stateroom door. As many of us found out when we arrived, the magnets didn’t stick to the door but they did stick to the wall next to the door, so I went to put ours up. I spent a long time trying to figure out the best placement of the words without realizing I should put Italy upright.

Untitled

Someone was kind enough to turn it right side up for us by the time we got back to our room that night!! :rotfl:So if it was someone reading this, THANK YOU! After unpacking, we wanted to take a walk around the ship and get familiar with where everything was.

We walked down to the end of the ship where the restaurants were to check them out.

I will talk about making dining reservations here because it was a headache that continued throughout the trip. There are 3 main restaurants on board; The Restaurant is the main dining room, and there are 2 signature-type restaurants called Manfredi’s Italian Restaurant, and The Chef’s Table. There is also one called The Kitchen Table, but that one only seats 12 people so you would reserve the whole table for your dining group. And of course, there is the buffet called World Café. The Restaurant doesn’t require any type of reservation, you just show up when you want to eat. For Manfredi’s and Chef’s Table, reservations are pretty much required if you want to eat there, but there’s no charge for them. When we booked, we chose the second lowest category because it said we’d be guaranteed one reservation at each of the restaurants.

When the day (or should I say, night) came to book our dining, DH and I totally forgot until much later in the day. By then, we couldn’t make any dining reservations online because it said they were sold out! What?! So DH spent a long time on the phone talking to different Viking reps trying to get it figured out. The only ones you can book online are the 2-top tables, and all of those had been sold out, but he was able to make us reservations for what is considered a shared table. So we could book a 4-top with another couple, but not with a particular couple. DH and Phil had been trying to coordinate that day when we both realized we had made the same mistake of missing the opening of the dining window, and even with each other’s Viking reservation number, we couldn’t book a table for the 4 of us! It was maddening and way worse than booking Disney ADRs! DH and I managed to snag one night at Manfredi’s and one at Chef’s Table, both at shared tables.

The first one we arrived at was The Chef’s Table, one of the three signature restaurants on board. This one had a rotating themed menu that changes every 3 days. While we were on board, the first few nights were a Venetian menu, then a French menu for the next few nights, then an Asian menu at the end of the cruise. They had the menus available somewhere (maybe on the TV in the room?) and the only one that sounded even somewhat appealing to us was the Venetian menu, but we were booked on a night it was the French menu, so we figured we’d probably just cancel that one.

In the back of the Chef’s Table is the Kitchen Table which is an upcharge and offered as part of an excursion through Viking. You go out into the port with the chefs from the ship to pick ingredients, then they prepare a meal for your group at this small table for dinner that night.

We made our way up to Deck 2 to see The Restaurant and check out the menu for that night. Since this is the main dining room, they had a few staples on the menu each night like salmon and steak, but they would have other items that were added each night.

On Deck 2, there was a Viking exhibit, and also a model of the ship.

Continued in next post...

Day 3 Continued: Saturday March 24th

We found ourselves over near the bar with plenty of other DISers, so we started meeting and greeting lots of the people we had been interacting with on the boards leading up to the trip but had never met in person. And we reunited with some of our ABD friends as well! There was some light live music happening while we chatted and got to know each other.

Viking 04-142

Somewhere in here we had our muster drill. Our station was in the Star Theater, and all we had to do was have our room key scanned, have a seat, and watch a demonstration on how to use the safety vests. Quick and painless.

We ended up with Phil & Judi again and decided to see if we could get some of the specialty dining issues figured out now that we were on board. They had Chef’s Table booked for late that night and had already been by the desk to see if they could get in earlier and were told to come anytime. The 4 of us went to Manfredi’s first. Phil & Judi had been unable to get a Manfredi’s reservation at all, so we wanted to see if we could add them to our 4-top reservation instead of dining with strangers. It was the first of many times we would speak to the hostess at Manfredi’s and hear, “I’m sorry, it’s not possible.” Very frustrating! We were told to keep checking back, but basically, don’t hold your breath.

Since Phil & Judi had been told they could go to Chef’s Table earlier than their reservation, we decided to try our luck at going with them and eating together since we weren’t interested in the French menu for the night we had booked. Luckily, it was not an issue and we were brought right to a table.

Up first was the Amuse Bouche.

Viking 04-146
Roasted Pepper & Tomato Jelly with Goat Cheese Latte Foam

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this one, but I didn’t like it. The tomato jelly tasted like cold pizza sauce and I didn’t enjoy the texture of that or the goat cheese foam on top.

Then came the first course.

Viking 04-147
Beef Carpaccio with Fig & Mustard Vinaigrette

Again, I didn’t enjoy this at all. I choked down a couple of bites and started thinking I might starve at this meal! I think both DH and I were hoping we’d make it out while the buffet was still open at this point.

Next was a Granita, or palate cleanser.

Viking 04-148
Peach Bellini Granita

Now this one was really good, and this was where the meal turned around for me! I had my first peach Bellini on our ABD trip and while I enjoyed it, this little frozen one was even better. I don’t drink much but when I do it’s usually a frozen drink of some sorts so this was perfect for me!

Then came the shining star of this meal for me, the main course.

Viking 04-149
Cod Fillet over Jerusalem artichoke risotto with latte di tartufo (truffle milk)

I could have licked the plate after eating every bite of this! It was so delicious. And despite not looking like much of a portion, it was very filling.

Finally came dessert.

Viking 04-150
Mascarpone Passion – mascarpone mousse with passion fruit crèmeux

The dessert was really good too! It was a great end to a meal that started off pretty shaky for me, and I think DH would agree. We do not have very sophisticated palates, but I was willing to try new things this trip and usually it works out. I’m glad we ended up making the switch to do Chef’s Table this night and we canceled our reservation for later in the week on the French menu night.

Someone posted in the Facebook group that had been started before the cruise that a bunch of DISers were in the Explorer’s Lounge, so once we finished dinner we decided to go check that out.

The lounge has two levels. On the bottom are a bunch of small tables with big armchairs and there’s a bar in the middle. Then there’s an upstairs portion with more sofas, chairs, and loungers.

Viking 04-151
The downstairs bar

We made our way upstairs and joined the fairly small DIS meet happening up there. More and more people kept ending up there, and eventually we had expanded our circle so much we had taken over almost the entire upstairs.

Viking 04-152

We met lots of new DISers and had a lot of fun talking and getting to know each other! The bartenders would come up from the bar and serve drinks there as well, which was nice.

It had been a kind of long day, so we didn’t stay up there too late. I think we went back to our room at 10:30 or so. But it was only the first of MANY nights that we all ended up there hanging out! We set sail at 11 pm for our first port, Naples. Italy had not participated in Daylight Savings Time yet, so that was happening our first night on board and we had to jump forward an hour before we went to bed! Not really excited about losing another hour after the crazy jet lag we had been feeling, but I guess if it had to happen, this was the best night for it since we would not be docking in Naples until noon, so we didn’t have anything to get up early for in the morning. It did mean we were now 7 hours ahead from the kids at home, so it made talking to DS even trickier as it meant staying up later every night to Facetime once he got home from school.

We settled in for our first night on the ship, and the bed was super comfortable, or maybe I was just so exhausted I fell right to sleep!

UP NEXT: Naples

No photos are allowed in there, buuuutttt….

If you’re inconspicuous, you can get one or two. Unlike the lady we saw get yelled at because she was standing in the middle holding her phone up over her head trying to take photos INCREDIBLY conspicuously. And we saw some young guy get yelled at because he decided to be an idiot and lay down in the middle of the floor!

After a nice long time in the Sistine Chapel, we were ready to head over to St. Peter's Basilica.

UP NEXT: St. Peter's Basilica

So gorgeous. I wish I thought of that.....

PS: I know you tried to make some pasta @ home. Nothing tastes as good as it does in Italy.....Such a shame. Went to my first Italian restaurant last week...sigh....

Last edited:

We weren't impressed with the Chef's Table either. We did the Venetian menu. The Amuse Bouche was exactly like cold pizza sauce! I couldn't eat the beef carpaccio. It was like cat food. A few days later I had beef carpaccio in one of the ports and it was very good. So, Viking's was just bad. I don't remember the cod. So, it was just forgettable to me. A few days later we did a group dinner there and the menu was basically this tour through dishes in ancient history. Something from the Roman Times, Medieval, Renaissance, etc. Overall, it was disappointing. It's really a shame, because I liked the concept of the Chef's Table. Execution was poor. Even service wasn't good.

Manfredi's on the other hand I felt was outstanding.

We also enjoyed the Explorer's Lounge. That was a fun place to hang out in the evening.

I totally remember the van naps!

You got some great overview pictures of the rooms - I really liked the style of the rooms - simple, but still very welcoming and comfortable. And we liked the heated floors in the bathroom so much that we are actually in the middle of redoing our bathroom and decided to put in heated floors! (we found an electric system that actually isn't too expensive nor hard to install)

That reservation process for the specialty restaurants was such a disaster - i was really getting upset by the end about Manfredi's (finally had to get someone else to help out find a time for us and it worked out in the end, but frustrating at the time!)

Oh, and it has nothing to do with your palate - that beef carpacio at the Chef's Table was just *bad*!! We wound up doing the Asian menu as well and it was definitely better, but still not amazing (the other dining options turned out to be much better in our opinion) - definitely think the Chefs table was one of the very few disappointments for me on the cruise overall

Thank you so much for TR! I am really enjoying everything.

We arrived early at the port and it was just as empty as the pictures above. I was actually standing there a little bewildered and we did the same thing and went in the wrong doors. There were way more employees and porters than guests. Such a huge striking difference between the zoo Port Canaveral has always been in the mornings. I know, I know, I should arrive after 1PM to avoid that but I'm always too excited to wait.

ETA It wasn't very good Beef Carpaccio. I order it all the time and it wasn't very good at all.

Really enjoyed these installments! Loved seeing your pictures of the cruise ship! Wonderful that they all have verandas. The reservation process seems very un-customer friendly. I can see why it was frustrating. I hope you eventually got over your jet lag. That's one of my worries for our trip in Sept. Looking forward to your time in Naples!

Your room looks really nice! The dining situation sounds so frustrating! I'm glad that you were able to get into Chef's Table with Phil & Judi! And despite the rocky start, I'm glad it turned into a good meal! Ending the night chatting with other DIS-ers sounds like it was a lot of fun!

I've never seen any photos of the Viking ships, so I had no idea what to expect, but it looks like everything was very elegant and relaxed. Your room looked pretty nice and geothermal flooring is the best thing ever.

Yikes, sorry about all the dining drama. It sounds like a complicates setup, there had to be an easier way to put two sets of couples at a 4 top together! Yeesh.

The daylight savings time not happening on the same day can get confusing! I was in the states when the U.S. did it, then had to go through it AGAIN when I got back to Germany a few weeks later. I didn't know what time it was! :rotfl:

I think Viking just guaranteed too many reservations for the cruise length. They guaranteed 1,2, or 3 reservations per specialty restaurant depending on the level of cabin you booked, and those that booked a higher level made their reservations first. This probably works out on a cruise longer than 7 days (of which Viking has many), but on a 7 day cruise there just aren't enough time slots to accommodate that many guaranteed reservations. It seems an easy problem to fix. Count up the number of reservations in a given restaurant on a 7 night cruise and that's the total number that you can possibly guarantee. Lower the guaranteed reservation perks accordingly.

The ship was gorgeous though. I really liked the Scandinavian minimalist esthetic. It had beautiful wood tones and clean lines. I also loved the black & white travel photos that were everywhere.

I think Viking just guaranteed too many reservations for the cruise length. They guaranteed 1,2, or 3 reservations per specialty restaurant depending on the level of cabin you booked, and those that booked a higher level made their reservations first. This probably works out on a cruise longer than 7 days (of which Viking has many), but on a 7 day cruise there just aren't enough time slots to accommodate that many guaranteed reservations. It seems an easy problem to fix. Count up the number of reservations in a given restaurant on a 7 night cruise and that's the total number that you can possibly guarantee. Lower the guaranteed reservation perks accordingly.

Definitely makes sense - and would be more of an incentive to pick higher end accommodations ... we were in the 2nd cheapest and still guaranteed one.

I do still think they should be able to book tables other than just 2-tops ahead of time. We had four of us that were all fully on board with sitting together they should be able to book that ahead of time

Definitely makes sense - and would be more of an incentive to pick higher end accommodations ... we were in the 2nd cheapest and still guaranteed one.

I do still think they should be able to book tables other than just 2-tops ahead of time. We had four of us that were all fully on board with sitting together they should be able to book that ahead of time

Agreed! There was no way to link reservations and no way to book a 4 top unless you called and you agreed to sit with strangers.

So gorgeous. I wish I thought of that.....

PS: I know you tried to make some pasta @ home. Nothing tastes as good as it does in Italy.....Such a shame. Went to my first Italian restaurant last week...sigh....

DH is always breaking the rules!

Definitely not as good as the pasta in Italy, but it put off the ache to get back to Italy ASAP...at least for a little while. We still haven't gone out to eat Italian, but it's definitely just not the same.

We weren't impressed with the Chef's Table either. We did the Venetian menu. The Amuse Bouche was exactly like cold pizza sauce! I couldn't eat the beef carpaccio. It was like cat food. A few days later I had beef carpaccio in one of the ports and it was very good. So, Viking's was just bad. I don't remember the cod. So, it was just forgettable to me. A few days later we did a group dinner there and the menu was basically this tour through dishes in ancient history. Something from the Roman Times, Medieval, Renaissance, etc. Overall, it was disappointing. It's really a shame, because I liked the concept of the Chef's Table. Execution was poor. Even service wasn't good.

Manfredi's on the other hand I felt was outstanding.

We also enjoyed the Explorer's Lounge. That was a fun place to hang out in the evening.

Okay, I'm a pretty picky eater so I figured it was just my boring palate, but it looks like that menu was not a hit from reading your response and others. I have never had carpaccio before, so I had nothing to compare it to, and after that meal I certainly wasn't clamoring to try it again. I guess I missed out on trying something good! I totally agree with you that the concept is really great, but it was a disappointment for me. I enjoyed Manfredi's and The Restaurant a lot more.

I totally remember the van naps!

You got some great overview pictures of the rooms - I really liked the style of the rooms - simple, but still very welcoming and comfortable. And we liked the heated floors in the bathroom so much that we are actually in the middle of redoing our bathroom and decided to put in heated floors! (we found an electric system that actually isn't too expensive nor hard to install)

That reservation process for the specialty restaurants was such a disaster - i was really getting upset by the end about Manfredi's (finally had to get someone else to help out find a time for us and it worked out in the end, but frustrating at the time!)

Oh, and it has nothing to do with your palate - that beef carpacio at the Chef's Table was just *bad*!! We wound up doing the Asian menu as well and it was definitely better, but still not amazing (the other dining options turned out to be much better in our opinion) - definitely think the Chefs table was one of the very few disappointments for me on the cruise overall

I don't think there was a single long car/bus ride on this vacation that I didn't fall asleep on! lol

So nice that you will have the heated floors at home!! Wouldn't be worth adding to our house as we'd only get to use it for a couple months out of the year. :rotfl: But if I lived in your neck of the woods, I can see the benefit of having them!

I'm really glad it ended up working out for you for Manfredi's. Such a disappointing and frustrating booking process! We asked several times about splitting from the shared 4-top we had booked and kept being told no, but then the night we went for our reservation, they seated us at a 2-top, no questions asked. It made no sense!!

Lol I was so self conscious during that meal! I really tried to choke down that carpaccio so I didn't look like a kid who doesn't eat anything different, but it was just terrible. DH finally muttered to me, "Just stop eating it." :rotfl2: I'm glad the Asian menu was better. Definitely found the food better at Manfredi's and The Restaurant.

Thank you so much for TR! I am really enjoying everything.

We arrived early at the port and it was just as empty as the pictures above. I was actually standing there a little bewildered and we did the same thing and went in the wrong doors. There were way more employees and porters than guests. Such a huge striking difference between the zoo Port Canaveral has always been in the mornings. I know, I know, I should arrive after 1PM to avoid that but I'm always too excited to wait.

ETA It wasn't very good Beef Carpaccio. I order it all the time and it wasn't very good at all.

Thanks for following along, Beth!

That's great that you got to experience a quick embarkation as well. I guess with such a small ship and with it not leaving until so late in the night, it made it easy to spread out people arriving. I bet a lot of people arrived that morning, spent the day in Rome, then went to the ship. This makes me a bit worried to experience Port Canaveral in March on our first DCL sailing. :scared:

Really enjoyed these installments! Loved seeing your pictures of the cruise ship! Wonderful that they all have verandas. The reservation process seems very un-customer friendly. I can see why it was frustrating. I hope you eventually got over your jet lag. That's one of my worries for our trip in Sept. Looking forward to your time in Naples!

It was really nice that we automatically had a veranda, no matter what level we packed! It was so nice to wake up each morning and go out to check out our latest port.

The dining was the most frustrating thing about this cruise. I really didn't think it would be that difficult to get at least one meal at the specialty restaurants! I wonder if it would have been any different had we not forgotten to do it right when our window.

For some reason, this trip took a lot longer to get over the jet lag than our ABD trip. I think it was maybe because we arrived so early on our first day and had a loooooong day to keep ourselves awake. It did get a little better once we got on the ship though, so that was good. Hopefully it's not too bad for you to adjust on your trip!

Your room looks really nice! The dining situation sounds so frustrating! I'm glad that you were able to get into Chef's Table with Phil & Judi! And despite the rocky start, I'm glad it turned into a good meal! Ending the night chatting with other DIS-ers sounds like it was a lot of fun!

The rooms were really nice, and surprisingly roomy for a cruise stateroom. I know with other lines you are usually fitting more people in the rooms, so I'm sure that makes a difference. But it was a nice way to spend a week cruising Italy's coast.

I was glad that the Chef's Table meal ended up working out so well and we were able to join Phil & Judi. We would have enjoyed the meal a lot less without the pleasant dinner company and conversation.

I've never seen any photos of the Viking ships, so I had no idea what to expect, but it looks like everything was very elegant and relaxed. Your room looked pretty nice and geothermal flooring is the best thing ever.

Yikes, sorry about all the dining drama. It sounds like a complicates setup, there had to be an easier way to put two sets of couples at a 4 top together! Yeesh.

The daylight savings time not happening on the same day can get confusing! I was in the states when the U.S. did it, then had to go through it AGAIN when I got back to Germany a few weeks later. I didn't know what time it was! :rotfl:

I really didn't look into it much before we left for our trip, so it was mostly a surprise to me as well! There were so many comfy and homey corners to curl up and read a book, if that was your thing. It was really beautiful and elegant, but also very comfortable all around.

The dining process was NOT GREAT when you have a bunch of DISers who are used to the 180 day ADR drop for their Disney trips. lol Definitely very frustrating, but overall it ended up okay in the end.

Ugh, the DST change was a killer. We were already so messed up from the jet lag, then we had to turn around and lose yet another hour! Luckily, if it had to happen during our cruise, it happened the best possible night since we were able to sleep in a bit the next morning. That had to be awful for you and the kids having to do it twice so close together too! At least it was just the two of us and we could suck it up. Time changes are awful with little kids!!

The ship was gorgeous though. I really liked the Scandinavian minimalist esthetic. It had beautiful wood tones and clean lines. I also loved the black & white travel photos that were everywhere.

That's a great point about the cruise. I really didn't think about this being one of their shorter sailings, but that makes a lot of sense. It was incredibly frustrating to think we had booked a level that would give us a guaranteed reservation at each restaurant, but then it turned into such a headache both before and during the cruise. Viking definitely wasn't ready for such a big group of planners like us!

The ship was really beautiful. I loved that there were so many comfortable places to sit and relax.

I absolutely agree. There had to be a better way of doing it when you had people who WANTED to share tables. DH was about to explode that day when the agent kept telling him Kevin had to make the changes for dining since he was our TA, but when we emailed Kevin he said they wouldn't let him make any changes either. :confused3

Day 4: Sunday March 25th

Since this was our one true sleep-in morning, we didn’t set an alarm and woke on our own at about 8 am. I wouldn’t have minded sleeping a little later but DH was already up and stirring, so it was hard to stay asleep. I think he was just excited! But we felt well rested despite losing an hour the night before to daylight savings time. We were still sailing into our first port of Naples, so DH got a few photos of our view.

He was already dressed and ready, so he went to the buffet for breakfast to eat and to bring me back up a muffin and banana with some orange juice. Since we had some time before we would be docked and able to get off the ship, we started a load of laundry too. Once I was dressed we decided to go check out what they had in the onboard shops. The jewelry store was way too expensive, and we didn’t find much to excite us in the Viking shop. There were some cute books we thought about getting for DS about a dog named Finise who travels to different countries, but we decided to wait and see what we found to buy for him in the ports first and only get them if we hadn’t found much else for him.

We explored more of the ship and DH wanted to stop and look at the Viking exhibit they had on board, but I wanted to play on my phone, I guess.

There were some tables with touch screen game tabletops so we snagged one of those to play for a little while. We ended up playing on those quite a few times, as you could play a memory game, backgammon, Blackjack, solitaire, Mahjong, air hockey, checkers, chess, and more. We usually ended up playing Mahjong or the memory game together. Once our laundry was done, we put that away, then went to the buffet for lunch around 11:30. They had some pretty good options, as I remember in particular a delicious baked fish, plus pizzas and pastas, of course! As we were wrapping up our meal, we overheard the lady at the table next to us tell her tablemates that there was gelato on the other side of the buffet. And DH was like

giphy.gif

So we went over to the other side, which was basically identical except for the addition of the small gelato counter, to get some. They had a few regular flavors like chocolate and vanilla, but they changed a lot of the other ones out each day as the cruise went on.

At noon, they made the announcement that you could now leave the ship if you wanted, but we still had some time before we had to meet for our excursion. We had our gelato, then went back to our stateroom to get our bags and our radios. There were 2 radios in each room that we had to bring back and forth for our excursions to be able to hear our guide. DH took a couple of photos from the balcony before we headed down to the theater to get into our excursion group.

Viking 05-008

Viking 05-009
Some of our DIS friends heading off the ship

For each excursion, there was a meeting time about 15 minutes before your designated time to go to your meeting point and be broken into your smaller groups. We were on the 1 pm Pompeii excursion, so we had to be in the theater at 12:45. Had we been with another couple and wanted to all be in the same group, we’d have to arrive at the theater all at the same time, as they basically just assign you to the next bus until that one fills up, then they move on to the next one. So if you want to be with someone and they are behind or ahead of you, they could end up in a different group even if you are all doing the same excursion.

Once assigned our bus, we waited in the theater for just a few minutes until they announced that our bus was ready to load. We exited the ship and walked down to the buses.

We met our guide for the day name Roberto, and we liked him from the very beginning. He talked for a lot of the bus ride, and was very informative but also very funny. Some of our other guides later in the week talked a lot but were more on the boring side, and some just didn’t say anything at all.

There was a particularly funny moment as Roberto was trying to make sure everyone’s radios worked and that we could all get on the correct channel and hear him clearly on it…Several older people were saying they were on the right channel but they couldn’t hear him. It was later discovered that they were attempting to use the radio without any sort of ear buds. You could definitely say Viking skews to a crowd that is quite a bit older than DH and I and a lot of our traveling partners!

On the bus ride, we passed Mt. Vesuvius which was a little tough to photograph from a moving bus, but DH managed.

We arrived at the Pompeii ruins, and Roberto gave us an opportunity to use the restroom. He told us there were public ones there that you can use but have to pay for, but there was also a large cameo shop right there and he said he knows the owner and we could use their restrooms for free. So while he went to purchase the tickets, many people went inside to use the restroom. In case you weren’t sure where they were, there were some nice signs to help you out.

Viking 05-018

IMG_4760

Viking 05-019
Outside of the shop
On this excursion is where we met a couple about our age that was not with the DIS group, and we later learned their names were Mark and Grace, as we adopted them into our DIS group later into the cruise. We kept running into them on the ship or out at ports and would chat with each other. Then one time walking through one of the dining rooms, we saw them eating with another couple from the DIS group, and it was kind of funny as we waved towards them, both couples waved at us, then turned to each other and seemed to be asking how the other knew who we were. By the end of the cruise, they were up hanging out with us in the Explorers Lounge at night!

Roberto showed us the top of the ruins and said by the time we finished our tour, we would be up there.

Once through the ticket gates, we were ready to start our tour. Roberto pointed out the 200 year old tree at the entrance and said we should all touch it for energy.

Viking 05-022
And here’s a picture of Roberto I took later on in the tour.

IMG_4761
He was probably our favorite tour guide of the whole trip!

UP NEXT: Pompeii Ruins

Last edited:
Haha, I remember at the start of ever tour it was like an event to get everyone with their headsets working right - though we didn’t encounter the “trying to listen withough headphones” situation

I’d say those pictures of Mt Vesuvius from the bus are pretty darn good!

Glad you had a good guide for this - definitely found the quality of your guide played a huge role in how much you enjoyed each tour - we definitely had some that were better than others

Very cool. We got to see Pompei on our trip - and I have to say that was the biggest + surprise of the trip. I was feeling very "meh" about seeing it, but I really, really enjoyed that tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter