Are there rooms (one week in SSR or AKL) available within two weeks to a month of going to WDW?

TexasTom

Earning My Ears
I don’t mind split stay between any other two resorts with 4 nights and 3 nights.

I’m looking to cash purchase 150 Point resale at either SSR or AKL with 0 point coming in 2021 UY. They seem to be the best value. Even though I like Riviera for its 50-yr, location and Tower Studio, I don’t like to plan seven month ahead and would like to stay at other resorts too

My background:
  • single and retired. I can go anytime but like to go at the last minute.
  • I used to keep up with DVC when SSR opened. At that time, it was about $55 per point and abut $3 annual fee.
  • I’m eligible to stay at Shades of Greens for $179 per night in 2021.
  • My niece, her husband and 12 YO daughter bought 100 points direct for Copper Creek. They had one week reservation in April this year but due to Covid, Disney reschedule them to SSR this week for 95 point.
I would like to join them in the future so I’m looking at buying resale DVC. I spent last night reading through this board. I have questions. I know all the answers are in there somewhere. But I appreciate if you can spend some time answer my questions.
  • Can I transfer my annual points to my niece?
  • If we want to stay at the same resort for one week, each of us will have to make a separated reservation and hope the rooms are available. Is this correct? Any tips to make it works?
  • If I want to gift my DVC ownership to them, are there any expense?
  • What is the blue card?
Thanks,

• The short answer is yes. The long answer is there are restrictions on transferring, you can't do it whenever you want, but one time annually is fine.
  • If we want to stay at the same resort for one week, each of us will have to make a separated reservation and hope the rooms are available. Is this correct? Any tips to make it works?
    • I'll skip this one for now and think about it
    • I'll skip this one as well, I don't know anything about that
  • What is the blue card?
    • A Blue card means you bought direct from Disney, currently you would have to purchase 125 points direct to qualify for one if you haven't previously purchased. It entitles you to some extra discounts and other benefits, but it is not really a bid deal. The money you save on resale is normally a way better deal. But it has a certain cool factor kind of like buying a name brand something or other vs the generic model. HOWEVER, if you want to stay at Riviera and also other places, with the same points you MUST buy direct from Disney.

That last thing I wrote about Riviera might be confusing. But if you don't know about Riviera resale restrictions, I urge you to learn about it before buying anything.

You are correct about Riviera resale restrictions. One I know of is that you can't use points from other resort resale to book Riviera. But I'm not sure if I can use resale points from Riviera to book other 14 resorts.

You are correct about Riviera resale restrictions. One I know of is that you can't use points from other resort resale to book Riviera. But I'm not sure if I can use resale points from Riviera to book other 14 resorts.
No. If you buy Riviera resale, that is the only place you can use the points at.

The red flag for me is "last minute". You are competing with many thousands of owners and renters for a limited amount of rooms. Many of us book our "home" resorts at 11 months out to ensure a reservation. At 7 months, if available, it is often possible to rebook another resort. I've spent weeks "stalking" the DVC website to try to snap up a cancellation and consider myself lucky if I get it.

Honestly, you will be taking a big chance in getting more than a couple nights at any resort that additionally might "cost" more points than your home resort and may even need to get a different size villa costing even more points. Worst case scenario is your points expire because you can't get a reservation. It happens.

SSR and AKV tend to have more availability than other resorts which is in your favor but eventually there are no/few rooms available. Also, as borrowing restrictions are in place, and many members are banking their points, there will likely be a huge demand for all villas in the next couple years, reducing your chances of "last minute" reservation even more.

It sounds like you would enjoy DVC greatly, however I would take more time to read threads on disboards before you jump in. Resales are plenty and you can still snag a deal if you know what to look for. The ROFR thread will give you more info on prices and there are many discussions on loaded vs stripped (I prefer loaded). Good luck!

You can gift a contract to a relative and in this case DVC forgoes Rofr. You can do the transfer yourself for just a few bucks, it's not complicated, there is a thread somewhere here on this board with the step by step instructions. However as with everything related to bureaucracy it's a waste of time, so you can save some time and ask a closing company to do it for you for something around $200.

If you transfer your points to your niece she could book a 2BR for all of you. It would cost more than 2 studios, but you'd have more space, a full kitchen and washer and dryer. However if you don't have the same home resort you can combine points only at 7 months, which will limit options.

I don’t like to plan seven month ahead and would like to stay at other resorts too

My background:
  • I used to keep up with DVC when SSR opened. At that time, it was about $55 per point and abut $3 annual fee.

If you don't like to plan 7 months out, then DVC is not be for you, simply pay cash rates as that will allow you to stay at other resorts, also this is the best option for "last minute trips"

Also, SSR was never $55pp + $3 dues, but OKW was way back in 1992

If you are only planning last minute then just go cash and try doing a rental as points get discounted if they are going to expire shortly.

If you are going often enough could you see yourself planning a little further out? I wouldn't buy otherwise.

I don’t mind split stay between any other two resorts with 4 nights and 3 nights.

I’m looking to cash purchase 150 Point resale at either SSR or AKL with 0 point coming in 2021 UY. They seem to be the best value. Even though I like Riviera for its 50-yr, location and Tower Studio, I don’t like to plan seven month ahead and would like to stay at other resorts too

My background:
  • My niece, her husband and 12 YO daughter bought 100 points direct for Copper Creek. They had one week reservation in April this year but due to Covid, Disney reschedule them to SSR this week for 95 point.
I would like to join them in the future so I’m looking at buying resale DVC. I spent last night reading through this board. I have questions. I know all the answers are in there somewhere. But I appreciate if you can spend some time answer my questions.
  • What is the blue card?
Thanks,
You might be able to find a single night here and there two weeks out. But some times you won't find any nights. If you want to go Sept through Jan or RunDisney events or holidays you need to plan no later than seven months out. That might be too late for some resorts and villa categories. Sometimes you have to book right at 11 months out to get what you want.

If you want to stay at Riviera in a tower studio, you'll need to buy direct there to book at 11 months out or buy Riviera resale and book at 11 months out. But with resale, you won't be staying at any other DVC resort. Riviera resale points have a limitation on where they can be used. Plus any resale contracts also have limitations based on when you bought.

When SSR opened, the price per point direct from DVC was higher than $55 a point. When we bought in 1997 it was already at least that price or higher. When we bought a fifth contract in 2002, it was $72 a point and SSR wasn't even a dream in Disney's eyes yet. In 2005 when SSR did open, annual fees were a bit more than $3, they were $3.83 and $3.96 for the next year.

Your niece probably rescheduled her own trip on the website since DVC doesn't select resorts or times for guests. Her point were returned to her account since the resorts weren't open at that time. If you wanted to transfer to her, you would be able to transfer once per year. The transferred points would maintain their resort and Use Year. So if you buy Riviera or SSR, they won't become CCV when they are transferred. They stay Riviera or SSR until seven months out.

Booking CCV at seven months out may be hard because it is small. If you do luck into reservations at the same resort for the same time, you need to have Member Services add "Traveling With" plus each other's reservation number. That may let the Room Assigner know and get you close to each other.

My background:
  • What is the blue card?
Thanks,
First you can always find reservations in the seven month window. If you dont mind a split stay then you should be fine depending on the time of year. I put together a trip christmas week a few years ago two months out. One bedrooms are always the last to book so those usually have the best availability. SSR or AK are both great deals and love both resorts. If you want to stay with your niece then in the 7 month window book or waitlist her resort choice.
If you and your niece want to stay for a week at the same resort I think that should not be a problem but you need to book that immediately in 7 month window. We have planned many last minute trips in 3 or 2 month window.
Yes you can easily transfer your pints to your niece. You can also gift your points to her if you wish to do that. I think the easiest way would be to add her name to your deed either now or later on. The blue card is only available to those who purchase 100 direct points. However the only benefit of the blue is the AP discount. Since you can stay at shades of green if you are military the military discount tickets are probably just as good if not better a deal than the AP discount. Since your niece purchased 100 direct she has the blue card.

If you don't like to plan 7 months out, then DVC is not be for you, simply pay cash rates as that will allow you to stay at other resorts, also this is the best option for "last minute trips"

Also, SSR was never $55pp + $3 dues, but OKW was way back in 1992
Resale SSR prices were around 55 per point back in2010 to 2012ish. Dues were also in the 3 dollar range back then. OKW direct back then was the best buy

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm taking my time. There will be alway be a deal along the way.
In the mean time, I read, read and read the threads.
Purchasing a fixed week at Riviera (at a 10% premium) might be a good solution. I don't know why Tower Studios are not available for FW.
There is an "All About Fixed Weeks" thread here that I have been reading but haven't finished. The $15 + $5 incentive (to $175 per point) for buying 200 direct points by 4 December is so tempting. But I probably don't need 200 point unless I want Week 51 or 52. So many information to digest. Back to read and read.

Last edited:
My background:

Resale SSR prices were around 55 per point back in2010 to 2012ish. Dues were also in the 3 dollar range back then. OKW direct back then was the best buy

TexasTom stated "when SSR opened" therefore it would be direct prices, not resale and in 2004, SSR dues was $3.80

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm taking my time. There will be alway be a deal along the way.
In the mean time, I read, read and read the threads.
Purchasing a fixed week at Riviera (at a 10% premium) might be a good solution. I don't know why Tower Studios are not available for FW.
There is an "All About Fixed Weeks" thread here that I have been reading but haven't finished. The $15 + $5 incentive (to $175 per point) for buying 200 direct points by 4 December is so tempting. But I probably don't need 200 point unless I want Week 51 or 52. So many information to digest. Back to read and read.
Read and take your time. Since it sounds like you will not take advantage of the 11 month window resale might be the best option. If you decide to go direct I would purchase where you get the best bang for the buck i think that is SSR. If you are planning to go with your niece and she books CCV all the time then you might want o purchase there maybe put your nieces name on your account as an associate and she can book your room when she books her own

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter