Are the Reservations Are Going To Stay Forever?

In theory there is crowd control, but our October experience was that in practice not so much. It caused crowd issues, not crowd control. The park reservations and restriction on hopping kept the crowds from evening out. Everything was packed with huge lines at DL by 10:00 a.m., and it was beyond frustrating to look at the lines at CA and see they were all really low and be unable to hop over. We were trapped. Everyone was trapped, so there was no way to balance the crowd. Both parks were sold out--- but the ride lines were vastly different between the parks and no way to even it out. I think the issue you have with restricting hopping until 1:00 p.m. is that unlike WDW, at DLR there is a large number of locals that don't show up until noon or later. So, all you are doing is restricting for a time period when hopping would allow the crowd to balance out if one park is more crowded than the other. After 1:00 p.m. people can go in any park. You can scan in to your reserved park, walk immediately out, and cross to the other park. The reservation system serves no real purpose at DLR- or at least the restriction on hopping doesn't.

Also, the downside we saw is EVERY SINGLE MORNING of our trip outside the gates we saw at least one crying young child with a parent explaining they were sorry but even though they had tickets they couldn't go to Disneyland like they promised them because they didn't have a park reservation. One morning we saw about 5 separate families with crying kids on the plaza that could not enter the parks. It is heartbreaking to see, and I'm sure even more heartbreaking for the family. At least in October, there were clearly a lot of people out there that did not understand the park reservation system or that a ticket did not gain entry into the parks. We were just passing quickly through the plaza to the gate too, so I can't imagine how many there must be like that every day if we saw that many in a very short time.

Oh, that is awful!!! Those poor kids ... ugh. That's what had me very very close to the edge of throwing up when I was trying to switch our starting park reservation one day -- there's no option to switch, just to CANCEL one and ATTEMPT to get the other one. We wanted one more shot at ROTR, so I did try -- but the app quit on me, mid-attempt, and I thought I had just screwed up our ability to go to the parks at all that day, knowing that capacity was limited and there was no way to reclaim an original reservation once cancelled. My hands were shaking so hard I almost dropped my phone, and I legit thought I was about to vomit. Luckily, the app is so bad that my cancellation didn't go through ... but that's a pretty weak "lucky", huh?

In theory there is crowd control, but our October experience was that in practice not so much. It caused crowd issues, not crowd control. The park reservations and restriction on hopping kept the crowds from evening out. Everything was packed with huge lines at DL by 10:00 a.m., and it was beyond frustrating to look at the lines at CA and see they were all really low and be unable to hop over. We were trapped. Everyone was trapped, so there was no way to balance the crowd. Both parks were sold out--- but the ride lines were vastly different between the parks and no way to even it out. I think the issue you have with restricting hopping until 1:00 p.m. is that unlike WDW, at DLR there is a large number of locals that don't show up until noon or later. So, all you are doing is restricting for a time period when hopping would allow the crowd to balance out if one park is more crowded than the other. After 1:00 p.m. people can go in any park. You can scan in to your reserved park, walk immediately out, and cross to the other park. The reservation system serves no real purpose at DLR- or at least the restriction on hopping doesn't.
You have clearly articulated exactly why I hate the 1pm park hopping rule. It is so infuriating (and dumb!) and I don’t know why they insist on keeping this rule in place.

Oh, that is awful!!! Those poor kids ... ugh. That's what had me very very close to the edge of throwing up when I was trying to switch our starting park reservation one day -- there's no option to switch, just to CANCEL one and ATTEMPT to get the other one. We wanted one more shot at ROTR, so I did try -- but the app quit on me, mid-attempt, and I thought I had just screwed up our ability to go to the parks at all that day, knowing that capacity was limited and there was no way to reclaim an original reservation once cancelled. My hands were shaking so hard I almost dropped my phone, and I legit thought I was about to vomit. Luckily, the app is so bad that my cancellation didn't go through ... but that's a pretty weak "lucky", huh?
YUCK. DL should not involve this much stress. I wanted to switch a day too because we had failed to get the VQ for ROTR multiple times, but I didn't even try because I knew reservations were supposedly full and I didn't want to dare lose our ability to enter the parks completely. We had close friends that were there for just one day our first day in the parks, and they wanted to stay an extra day to spend more time with us in the parks, but they couldn't get a park reservation for either park to stay the extra day.

If reservations are here to stay forever, then I guess there’s nothing I can do, except just order tickets from time to time. I guess the same annual passes are not coming back. And I think this won’t solve crowd control.:sad1:

If reservations are here to stay forever, then I guess there’s nothing I can do, except just order tickets from time to time. I guess the same annual passes are not coming back. And I think this won’t solve crowd control.:sad1:

Reservations are needed for single day and multi day park tickets, both one park per day and park hopper tickets. I have a 3 day 1 park per day ticket for my trip at the end of January. Reservations open 120 days in advance. I did my park reservations in October.

As others have said, you need reservations regardless of entry media.

And it absolutely will help with crowd control. They can cap reservations based on time of year, staffing, ride closures, etc. It may not feel less crowded (that’s subjective), but they know exactly how many people to expect on a given day.

The annual passes are back they are magic keys that require a reservation, just like tickets do. It does solve crowd control because they can control how many people have reservations.

I agree that reservations give Disney the ability to control crowds. But the real question is....will they?

In the past Disney has been more than happy to pack us in like sardines. There's nothing inherent in reservations that would stop them continuing to do so. It's all going to be about the cost of staffing vs the profits earned from guests. And who knows what TPTB will decide that 'balance' will be. Will they be content with lower crowds/less staff/lower profit or will they want to go back to pack 'em in, minimal staffing, rack up the bucks?

I agree that reservations give Disney the ability to control crowds. But the real question is....will they?

In the past Disney has been more than happy to pack us in like sardines. There's nothing inherent in reservations that would stop them continuing to do so. It's all going to be about the cost of staffing vs the profits earned from guests. And who knows what TPTB will decide that 'balance' will be. Will they be content with lower crowds/less staff/lower profit or will they want to go back to pack 'em in, minimal staffing, rack up the bucks?
Yes. All reservations will do in the long run is mean that Disney will be able to have the least amount of staff required to accommodate however many people they let in that day. Which means Disneyland will probably always feel “slightly crowded”.

I think a lot of people commenting about “crowd control“ don’t understand that staffing levels and operating hours for park elements (shops, dining, etc) have a huge impact on how crowded the park feels. It’s not only about how many people are in the park.

That's actually the part that made me the angriest about our October trip: With the reservation system, they KNEW how many people would be there, they KNEW how many CMs that meant they needed ... and then they deliberately packed as many bodies as possible into a SEVERELY understaffed park. No deniability on their part whatsoever -- this is nothing but craven greed, and it resulted in an awful experience.

In regards to staffing they are having multiple people call out probably daily. At a trip last month we heard cast members complaining that there were 50+ call outs and no shows in just Disneyland. Not much in the grand total of employees but it is close to one per ride and in an already understaffed park it makes it difficult.

Any tips on securing a last minute park reservation? Is it even possible they would add dates real last minute? I haven't been following things closely since I never go spur of the moment but may be in the area for a work trip and it's hard to be close and not go to Disneyland..... I thought maybe if you stayed on site but when I tried booking a hotel night the link to the calendar was the same as the tickets and was full too.

Any tips on securing a last minute park reservation? Is it even possible they would add dates real last minute? I haven't been following things closely since I never go spur of the moment but may be in the area for a work trip and it's hard to be close and not go to Disneyland..... I thought maybe if you stayed on site but when I tried booking a hotel night the link to the calendar was the same as the tickets and was full too.
If you stay on site you can go practically any day. You can’t access the “hotel bucket” of reservations until you have a reservation and you link it to your account.

I thought they released a bunch of reservations today?

I thought they released a bunch of reservations today?

All sold out! But I sat here refreshing on the website and app and managed to get one. I'm not sure how reliable that was or if I'm just real lucky but heads up if anyone finds themselves in the same boat.

The annual passes are back they are magic keys that require a reservation, just like tickets do. It does solve crowd control because they can control how many people have reservations.
I know. But I don't know if I'll be able to get it even if it's on sale again.

I haven't been to Disneyland since March, and because of Magic Key Pass not on sale anymore and the reservation system making my visitations difficult than ever, I guess my Disneyland days are over. Good Lord, I'm so pathetic! :sad:

I haven't been to Disneyland since March, and because of Magic Key Pass not on sale anymore and the reservation system making my visitations difficult than ever, I guess my Disneyland days are over. Good Lord, I'm so pathetic! :sad:
I don’t like reservations either, but it’s not like you can’t go to the parks. Tens of thousands of people are visiting every day with or without Magic Keys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter