Are Domestic Disney Parks Preparing for an August 1st Reopening?

SpaceMountain77

Kidani Villager Victorian Gentleman Turtle Trekker
Insiders are now reporting that TWDC is preparing for a televised 4th of July fireworks show and August 1st reopening. DVC is described as the biggest challenge for the company because of the wording of our contracts.

Also, if correct, Magic Kingdom area resorts would open first at Walt Disney World.

Last edited:
Those plans make sense, but I doubt even Disney knows what they are going to do. I'm sure they have multiple plans in place and will choose the one that makes the most sense as this hopefully winds down at some point.

Nobody knows yet. All speculation and until there are confirmed reports I wouldn't read too much into anything.

Universal has announced continued closure through May 31st. June 1st or later seems to be increasingly likely.

Can anyone explain what wording might create a challenge?

That we own a timeshare and our bound by the terms of the POS and the legal rules of the program.

So, the solutions are limited in terms of what can happen without involving TWDC.

For example, they changed the rules in 2011 that resale points can not be used for the Disney Collection....that includes rooms at Disney resorts that are not DVC. If someone has banked points that are not eligible for that, it’s not just easy to waive it without It applying to all resale points.

So, even if Disney wants to go above and beyond and help the DVC situation, even if not obligated, it has to be figured out from a legal aspect, which, IMO, is probably why they haven’t come up with a solution yet.

That we own a timeshare and our bound by the terms of the POS and the legal rules of the program.

So, the solutions are limited in terms of what can happen without involving TWDC.

For example, they changed the rules in 2011 that resale points can not be used for the Disney Collection....that includes rooms at Disney resorts that are not DVC. If someone has banked points that are not eligible for that, it’s not just easy to waive it without It applying to all resale points.

So, even if Disney wants to go above and beyond and help the DVC situation, even if not obligated, it has to be figured out from a legal aspect, which, IMO, is probably why they haven’t come up with a solution yet.

Got it, so it isn't a challenge with DVC itself. But the discussions are more around the confines of what can be done to soften the pain for DVC members.

Got it, so it isn't a challenge with DVC itself. But the discussions are more around the confines of what can be done to soften the pain for DVC members.

That would be my thought, Like mentioned so many times, the company does not have to step in and help.

DVCM would only have so many options that don’t involve the company, and even what DVCM does has to meet legal and program rules,

Home resort rules and regulations can be amended, but that still would only give certain options because the underlying piece is that decisions have to stay in line via supply and demand,

So, to get a plan in place that involves Disney will take time, and I think it is more complex than many of us realize.

I think the goal is June 1st.

They might not hit that, but I think that that is the current target.

I also don't see it being anything like full capacity even if they do hit it - I think that is to start trials for the new normal. If a lot of cast members find other work, Disney could have to acquire and train a lot of new people.

But I will say, this, I can see it now - they go to open June 1st and Josh D'Amaro saying "What the **** did I do with the keys?" :)

That would be my thought, Like mentioned so many times, the company does not have to step in and help.

DVCM would only have so many options that don’t involve the company, and even what DVCM does has to meet legal and program rules,

Home resort rules and regulations can be amended, but that still would only give certain options because the underlying piece is that decisions have to stay in line via supply and demand,

So, to get a plan in place that involves Disney will take time, and I think it is more complex than many of us realize.

Yea I’ve seen a lot of that in other threads. I didn’t know if there were other contractual difficulties (ie, they have to do XYZ) that was in discussion too.

Stepping into the theoretical. Is there language on the required uptime of the resort? Would there be legal obligations if this lasted say 1 year? More that stuff than, what can disney give me for my points and pain.

Yea I’ve seen a lot of that in other threads. I didn’t know if there were other contractual difficulties (ie, they have to do XYZ) that was in discussion too.

Stepping into the theoretical. Is there language on the required uptime of the resort? Would there be legal obligations if this lasted say 1 year? More that stuff than, what can disney give me for my points and pain.

Their is language in the POS for the emergency powers that states that any shutdown should be limited to as short of a time as possible to protect health and safety of those entitled to be there...paraphrasing here,

There is also a section in loss of use that mentions...again, paraphrasing here...that one option is to allow owners of a closed resort to be moved to another resort and the association charged for that. However, that would be a tough piece in this situation given that all the resorts were closed,

I have not found anything other than that.

Last edited:
Also, if correct, Magic Kingdom area resorts would open first at Walt Disney World.

In my opinion I think that this could cause some problems for TWDC. They could face some trouble telling owners at the other resorts that they cannot use their points that they paid for because Disney does not feel like opening their resort. The maint fees to run the resorts have already been paid so if they open one they might feel that they have to open all of them. Right now it is easy because they have closed everything. I think that they would love to do a phased opening of resorts, but they attached DVC to all of their deluxe resorts. They might be able to get away with opening value and moderate resorts and no deluxe, but that opens a whole new can of worms trying to explain why a sub $200 resort room is open but not a $1000+ room. Then you have the problem of SSR, OKW, and Kidani. Those are total DVC resorts that should be fully funded and ready to open if anything else opens. They could say that they don't have the capital to open shared DVC resorts like the POLY, but the fully owned DVC resorts should be financially ready to go.

I think that they would like to limit the number of people at WDW at first, and the MK cash reservations are the high dollar guests that they want.

In my opinion I think that this could cause some problems for TWDC. They could face some trouble telling owners at the other resorts that they cannot use their points that they paid for because Disney does not feel like opening their resort. The maint fees to run the resorts have already been paid so if they open one they might feel that they have to open all of them. Right now it is easy because they have closed everything. I think that they would love to do a phased opening of resorts, but they attached DVC to all of their deluxe resorts. They might be able to get away with opening value and moderate resorts and no deluxe, but that opens a whole new can of worms trying to explain why a sub $200 resort room is open but not a $1000+ room. Then you have the problem of SSR, OKW, and Kidani. Those are total DVC resorts that should be fully funded and ready to open if anything else opens. They could say that they don't have the capital to open shared DVC resorts like the POLY, but the fully owned DVC resorts should be financially ready to go.

I think that they would like to limit the number of people at WDW at first, and the MK cash reservations are the high dollar guests that they want.

The plan is entitled project Secure Circuit and is actively being discussed.

The plan is entitled project Secure Circuit and is actively being discussed.
Ok, so what you quoted (my opinion) is called project Secure Circuit by Disney and is being actively discussed. Or are you just calling my opinion project Secure Circuit. if so, I like that. ;)

(Actually I am well aware of Secure Circuit. I was just trying to point out what one of the largest stumbling blocks is going to be, in my opinion).

Ok, so what you quoted (my opinion) is called project Secure Circuit by Disney and is being actively discussed. Or are you just calling my opinion project Secure Circuit. if so, I like that. ;)

(Actually I am well aware of Secure Circuit. I was just trying to point out what one of the largest stumbling blocks is going to be, in my opinion).
I am tired, but are you predicting that DVC resorts will open first? Mine are both "mixed,"-- BRV and BLT, but I would love to hear more about this.

There is also language that if a resort is closed for a prolonged time due to a natural disaster, like a hurricane, the member of that resort can not use their points during that time, as other members would be unable to trade in. If a resort is closed permanently or damaged beyond repair, any insurance proceeds would be proportionally split among the membership of that resort. So, IF DVC insurance includes a loss of use clause for emergencies (I don't think it does, as it would be similar to loss of rental income insurance if one of my rental properties burns, but I don't think it would cover me if my tenants couldn't pay because of the virus), we may see that applied to our dues next year, along with adjustments for transportation/housekeeping and so forth.

I just hope this causes disney to rethink those germ incubating communal soap dispensers they put in rooms. I was so disgusted by them before the virus and would never use them but now I don;t even want to try to ignore the fact they are in the room

I just hope this causes disney to rethink those germ incubating communal soap dispensers they put in rooms. I was so disgusted by them before the virus and would never use them but now I don;t even want to try to ignore the fact they are in the room

How would those be any worse than the fact that you are using the same toilet, bed, remote, etc of other people? I really, really doubt the communal soap dispensers are going anywhere. They are in some of the top hotels in the world, so it is not just Disney who has them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter