April 2021 W.I.S.H. Thread - Spring into Spring!

We were outside today doing some yard work and it actually had me thinking about the past year. When schools first closed, we jumped right into doing home projects, especially outside. I can’t believe how much our home has changed in the year. We have a new kitchen, some new landscaping, new front door, new porch details, new his & her master closets, and a hot tub!

And as much as our house has changed, I feel our family has changed too! The twins turned 16, are driving and working. They are so much more independent. And that has allowed me to focus on me a little more. I started the pandemic with a lot of stress eating and trying new recipes, mostly for desserts. I enjoy finding a new recipe to try each week. But now I’m looking for healthy dinner recipes. Plus we saved a lot of money by not eating out as much. I also work hard during the week and try to not work during the weekend. I use the weekends to relax, visit family, and meal prep. Sometimes relaxing is sitting and watch tv, going in the hot tub or laying out in the sun. And sometimes relaxing mean outdoor adventures like biking or hiking and hopefully soon it will be warm enough for kayaking.

We’ve also starting talking and researching colleges, which has made me think about how quickly life changes. So I’ve been trying to keep the main thing the main thing. And for me, that’s family. My kids will most likely be going to college in two years. So while I appreciate thsir new independence, I’m also trying to make sure we have some special items together. So making time for family meals, family game nights, family movie nights or whatever we can. Tonight we’ll be watching the finale of Falcon & Winter Soldier.

DD and I were out running errands today. We had to drop off returns at the UPS store among other things. She waits in the car since she isn't fully vaccinated yet, but it is nice to have her company. We drove to the beach, and it was really crowded. Neither of us was comfortable getting out of the car. The restaurant by the beach was bustling with outdoor diners, and I spotted my friend from work having lunch with her family. We stopped at our favorite frozen yogurt shop and picked up a couple quarts for the first time in over a year, and we couldn't stop talking about how grateful that they survived.

As I drove home, I thought back to a year ago when the first responders would drive down our street in a parade-like formation sirens and lights blazing while we watched from our porches and waved, unable to leave home. I actually forgot all about that. Those first weeks and months were so traumatic, and we didn't know when or how things would ever get better. I remember bursting into hysterical tears and feeling terrified. I remember praying and becoming hopeful that somehow the scientists would develop a vaccine. I remember having to figure out how to navigate life in a whole new way relying on technology for everything, readjusting and constantly learning new things while making lots of mistakes.

It turns out that I am resilient. I'm a survivor. I am hopeful. I have a deep faith.

What are you doing to take care of yourself today?

I went to bed early last night, so I wouldn't be tired today.

I took time out to watch a church service this morning.

I just got myself a glass of water, because I realized I'd only had coffee all morning.

I am relishing in the temporary emptiness of the house (I wouldn't want it to be permanent, but enjoy it once in a while) while DS is at work and DH is at the gym. - I have several projects started at once, and none finished...but they're not in anyone's way!

Peoplemover is supposed to (finally) open today, hence the picture. But I'm watching the Resorttv1 live stream and it hasn't opened yet... but the cars have just started moving! This is my first self-care thing for today... having some fun watching the livestream.

Second self care is to spend about an hour doing work work that I didn't get done last week. I've really been thinking about work and limits and how to manage myself to maximum efficiency and I'm going to start taking a proper break midday, which will probably include a quick nap. Then I'm going to sing back in in the evenings for an hour, during quiet times when I can really focus.

Third self care is to try and finish the great bedroom swap. I got started yesterday, moving some stuff out of the office and touching up paint, but I realized I'm going to have to disassemble the desk and I knew I didn't have the mental capacity yesterday to do it, plus I physically didn't feel very good. But I'll plug away at it today and should get there.

I lost a filling last night, so I am in pain. Self-care today involved calling the on-call dentist for an emergency appointment tomorrow; going to CVS to get "Dent-Temp" for my tooth (where of course, some idiot was walking around the store without a mask...this is why I'm still double-masking); texting my principal requesting a late arrival after my appointment instead of wasting a sick day; eating soft foods; Advil; and a hot shower.

If I feel better later, I will put away laundry and pay some bills. If not, I will do it another day.

I lost a filling last night, so I am in pain. Self-care today involved calling the on-call dentist for an emergency appointment tomorrow; going to CVS to get "Dent-Temp" for my tooth (where of course, some idiot was walking around the store without a mask...this is why I'm still double-masking); texting my principal requesting a late arrival after my appointment instead of wasting a sick day; eating soft foods; Advil; and a hot shower.

If I feel better later, I will put away laundry and pay some bills. If not, I will do it another day.
Toothaches are the worst! Hope you are not in pain tonight.

We’re traveling to Texas in a month for a family get together and I really would like to be down a couple more pounds before we go. Also, in three months we’ll be in Florida and doing a lot of walking-I plan to start walking longer distances so I’m not exhausted.

I do well during the week and start to see the scale go down. But these past two weekends, the joy of spring has gotten the beat of me and we keep going out for ice cream. So this week, I’m motivated to get those ice cream pounds back off and try to avoid them next weekend ;)
Nice weather means shorts are coming soon! So excited it’s almost May!

I do well during the week and start to see the scale go down. But these past two weekends, the joy of spring has gotten the beat of me and we keep going out for ice cream. So this week, I’m motivated to get those ice cream pounds back off and try to avoid them next weekend ;)
Nice weather means shorts are coming soon! So excited it’s almost May!
My daughter has recommended those Yasso ice cream bars-I think they’re frozen yogurt? She says they’re really good and 100 calories or less. I know warmer weather means ice cream to me, so I thought I would get some to be prepared!

This week's motivation... completing the things I set out for myself last week?

I did not get the bedroom flipped yesterday and after thinking on it quite a bit have decided not to do it. Instead I'm going to continue to work on improving each room by doing more decluttering and decorating. One of the ways my ADHD manifests is that I never quite finish decorating, so I'm going to work on changing that.

Over the weekend I started to have another outbreak of sugar ants which I'm so tired of, so I'm going to ask my landlord to have an exterminator come in. There are a couple other maintenance things that also need to be looked in to, which triggered the housekeeping shame thing and overwhelm at everything I would have to do to feel comfortable having him in the house. I started to straighten things up and decided 1) it isn't all that bad and 2) it is time to start having the house professionally cleaned. I sent a query to a cleaning company for a one time deep clean and am waiting to hear back, hoping they can do it this week.

This week's motivation... completing the things I set out for myself last week?

I did not get the bedroom flipped yesterday and after thinking on it quite a bit have decided not to do it. Instead I'm going to continue to work on improving each room by doing more decluttering and decorating. One of the ways my ADHD manifests is that I never quite finish decorating, so I'm going to work on changing that.

Over the weekend I started to have another outbreak of sugar ants which I'm so tired of, so I'm going to ask my landlord to have an exterminator come in. There are a couple other maintenance things that also need to be looked in to, which triggered the housekeeping shame thing and overwhelm at everything I would have to do to feel comfortable having him in the house. I started to straighten things up and decided 1) it isn't all that bad and 2) it is time to start having the house professionally cleaned. I sent a query to a cleaning company for a one time deep clean and am waiting to hear back, hoping they can do it this week.
We had those ants one year-tried everything and finally called an exterminator. They are worse with certain weather. Anyway, they sprayed the outside perimeter of the house and that did it-gone. We didn’t even need a second treatment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter