April 2011: Springing into No Buys

Planning for 12 no-buy days this month (made it past 10 in March); I don't count grocery spending.

4/1 - spent the following: $180 to sign DS up for a week of summer art camp; $59.99 on a sand and water play table for DD (Amazon); $99 for a year of educational software for DS; $478 for new fridge for the basement (but this comes out of the insurance money which we got today; the rest is going into savings); $6.24 at Borders (after using $5 in Borders bucks and a 33% off coupon, I ended up saving 67% off an $18 book for my teaching which my own kids will also enjoy); $33 for gas (DH filled up); $15 for DH to see the doctor; $33 for medicine for DH. OUCH!

DH gets three paychecks this month so we were planning to do these things when that came in. We also just ordered new laptops which will be covered by our federal tax refund. End of splurging...I have 2 classes to pay tuition for this summer. ;) Also paid some bills.

Running Total: Spent $0
$0 Days:1/13

Groceries ($240-$8/day)- $0
Eating Out ($210-$7/day)- $0
Misc. (Shopping/Entertainment) ($780-$26/day) $0
Gas $250-

1- $0

Budget: $1480....
Month: 1/30: 3%

No Buy: 1/13: 8%

My savings from coupons and sales: $0

Next Month: Rental car for October...6 month insurance premium

Welsome to all the new people, you will love everyone here! :grouphug:

Virgderon Happy 1 year Anniversary!!! :cool1: I totally wish you could come to this party, I'd love it! :goodvibes

Today is the day!!!! I am so excited and I pulled it off!!! Yesterday my DH came home early from work! :scared1: Anyone who has been on here long knows he works crazy long hours, I can't remember the last time he came home early. Thankfully it was only a little early so I was just making a veggie tray, easy enough to pull off. I just hope he doesn't notice it is gone today. :rolleyes1 He does like veggies but our friends are coming into town for his party but also to spend the day with us. He will be taking DH to lunch, the movies and out to talk after at Starbucks, she will be helping with all the last minute craziness so there won't be much time here to notice, I HOPE! :rolleyes:

Yesterday was a spend day, I needed the stuff for the veggies and dip, I also got an easy dinner for the kids cause our friends asked us over for pizza and games. Total spent was about $60, man, veggies are so expensive!!!

Today will be an insane spend day. I already gave DD16 $35 for the party sub, the plan is I am taking her to "her friends house" but really I will run her to the end of the street where our friends who will have just left for "home" will get her, go get the sub and head to the party. This was DH isn't wondering why she is going to the party and she can be there to record his surprise. :thumbsup2 I also gave another friend $100 for the pizza and wings, she is picking them up on her way. I also need to go get all the paper goods (how on Earth did I forget these???) Otherwise that should be it. Everything else is bought and taken out there already.

I will get better on track tomorrow, jsut have to get though today. It is a fun and exciting day, but I am a ball of nerves scatter-brain right now. :rotfl:

Have a great day everyone, I'll be back tomorrow!!! :cool1:

$700 total
$100 Gas
$250 Groceries
$138 Entertainment/Eating Out
$85 Gifts
$100 Misc Household

April 1: $15.00 gift (online Jedi game), $2.00 movie rental, $10.00 lunch out ( I am rounding)

MickeyMomofThree, I hope your party is a huge success. Your husband is going to be so surprised.

I'm in again, this is the longest I have ever stuck with this and it is really very helpful!
::yes:: I find the accountability keeps me on track and aware of what I am spending.

March was my first attempt, and I fell off the wagon early. Trying again this month, since I'm also starting my new envelope budget...
(This month is a tight, tight month because I need to rebuild my savings. We'll see if I can do it.)

Also, all purchases will be rounded up to the next dollar, and the change will go into our Disney Fund.
You have a plan, and that is the main thing. It takes a while for budgeting and weighing wants/needs to become second nature, and I think that you are well on your way! :thumbsup2

I would like to try this for the first time. I read a bit of last month's thread so I hope I do this correctly. I am going to try for 10 no buy days. It will be tough because I work at Target and tend to buy little things when I 'm at work.
I haven't done this before but I'd love to try it out! Not sure if I am going to do this right, I'm trying to figure out exactly what everyone is doing... :idea:

I will try to have 7 no-buy days this month. ;)

Budget for the month $1,000
Groceries... $0 / $400
Eating out... $0 / $100
Gas... $0 / $250
Misc... $34 / $150
DH's birthday... $0 / $100

Coupon/Sale savings total = $6
:welcome: I love that each person sets their own goals, and learns by doing, themselves. Lots of good advice, and no recriminations for falling off the budget wagon.

Allrighty, I'm back and in for the month!! I fell apart at the end of last month. With moving and keeping track of 3 different houses, keeping track of my spending fell by the wayside. We're staying with my MIL for the month and most of our stuff is packed. I anticipate a few extra purchases when I discover something I need is packed and in storage :rotfl2:! I'll go for 10 no buy days this month and I'm posting a budget for the first time.
Busy, busy times, and you are a success just by getting through them! :)

I'm in. This is my one year anniversery of doing no-buy. :-)
:yay: Congrats on the one year! And thanks for the note on the other thread about my DD....we're thrilled for her, although she is very young for heading off to university-and the baby of the family to boot, making Mom a wee bit nervous! ;)

Starting off on a not-so-good note, as I had a very stressful day yesterday and have been looking forward to this dinner out all week!
Hope you enjoyed your dinner. We all need to refresh ourselves, and it sounds like this was the ticket for you! :goodvibes

Goal 8 / 5 accomplished.
Sunnie, you are doing well on your goals for these weeks! Keep it up!:wizard:

We just decided to extend our Disneymoon by 3 more days to make it a full 2 weeks. :goodvibes But that means that we need to be even more careful with our spendings as just changing the flight was an extra 200$, plus room and food.

04/01 : 0$
A good start, then, Mel! And 2 weeks for you Disneymoon sounds heavenly.:littleangel:

I'm in! I am going to say 10. I wanted 7 and made it to 8 last month!
4/1 a bunch of money
4/2 maybe farmer's market
4/3 ??????
:wave: Welcome back!

$6.24 at Borders (after using $5 in Borders bucks and a 33% off coupon, I ended up saving 67% off an $18 book for my teaching which my own kids will also enjoy)
Big day for you yesterday, but don't you just :love: when you get a deal on teaching resources! And when your own kidlets will enjoy it too.....bonus!

Today is the day!!!! I am so excited and I pulled it off!!! Yesterday my DH came home early from work! :scared1: Anyone who has been on here long knows he works crazy long hours, I can't remember the last time he came home early. Thankfully it was only a little early so I was just making a veggie tray, easy enough to pull off. I just hope he doesn't notice it is gone today. :rolleyes1 He does like veggies but our friends are coming into town for his party but also to spend the day with us. He will be taking DH to lunch, the movies and out to talk after at Starbucks, she will be helping with all the last minute craziness so there won't be much time here to notice, I HOPE! :rolleyes:

Yesterday was a spend day, I needed the stuff for the veggies and dip, I also got an easy dinner for the kids cause our friends asked us over for pizza and games. Total spent was about $60, man, veggies are so expensive!!!

Today will be an insane spend day. I already gave DD16 $35 for the party sub, the plan is I am taking her to "her friends house" but really I will run her to the end of the street where our friends who will have just left for "home" will get her, go get the sub and head to the party. This was DH isn't wondering why she is going to the party and she can be there to record his surprise. :thumbsup2 I also gave another friend $100 for the pizza and wings, she is picking them up on her way. I also need to go get all the paper goods (how on Earth did I forget these???) Otherwise that should be it. Everything else is bought and taken out there already.

I will get better on track tomorrow, jsut have to get though today. It is a fun and exciting day, but I am a ball of nerves scatter-brain right now. :rotfl:

Have a great day everyone, I'll be back tomorrow!!! :cool1:
I can hardly wait 'til you let us know how it went! Have a FABULOUS time!:cool1:

( I am rounding)
:teacher: Yep, me too. I used to do it to the cent practically, and it would drive me insane when I got behind. Now, it is the process, and I do much better at it!

Now, my budget:
I will count all OTC purchases, but not the regularly budgeted and paid for bills like Church, heating, water, taxes etc.
I will not count DH's spending on his snacks, since he does that every day, and there is no way for me to keep track, anyway.
This month I have a couple of birthday gifts, and of course Easter candy. (not sure if I'm doing baskets or not....maybe just cash for each of 5 kids :scared1: ) My biggest goal is that I NOT spend as much as I did last month....that should be attainable, since last month was atrocious! Here's hoping for 12 no buy days.

April 1: $4 drug co-pay, grad pics for DD $172, gas $23
April 2: groceries $53 DDs phone needed replacing, and, since she was off to buy her shoes for her prom, I bought the phone...happy belated birthday....$101

No Buy days: 0/12

Wow page 2 already!!
Charming You Rock...Thanks for starting the new thread
VirgderonCongrats:banana:
Mrssmith06 and all the other newbies:welcome:

Auto $240.00
Groceries/Household Goods $200.00(raised for Easter. Expecting 26 people)
Eating Out/Entertainment $100.00
Misc $200.00
No Buy days 1/10
Coupon savings
New Business Expenses. I'm now a new Advisor for lia sophia jewelry. :cool1: And I know I will have extra expenses. So, I'm giving it it's own catagory.

March coupon savings $116.00
No buy days 15/15
February coupon savings $124.00
No buy days 15/12
January coupon savings $360.00
no buy days 17/10

04/01 :cheer2:
04/02 planning on doing shopping after work today.

Today is a no buy. My mom is out of the house at a class with my aunt so I am taking advantage and using this time to work on her mother's day gift.

April Budget (3/30-4/29)

Grocery/Household- $300/$245.47 left
Car/Gas- $50/$23.38 Left
Eating out- $50/$36.25 left
Misc/entertainment- $100/$68.63

Total- $500.00/$373.73 left

Goal of 15 No Buy Days

Week One
3/30- $0
3/31- $54.53 Grocery, $26.62 Gas, $3.32 misc, and $13.75 eating out
4/1- $15 Haircut and $13.05 Walgreens
4/2- $0
4/3
4/4
4/5

2/15 No Buy Days

Store and Coupon Savings-$40.25

Debbie, I did not know you had 5 kids! I can see why it might take you longer to save for a Disney trip! Are they older or younger?

Today is a 0. Recovering from a week of very intense training for the new job.

Running Total: Spent $19
$800 budget... $781 left
$0 Days: 1
Goal is 8 or more!
coupon/sale savings : 9

Groceries budget- $250-19= 231 left

April 1: 19 ( groceries)
April 2: 0

Debbie, you are such a sweetheart, and I thank you for the kind words!!:goodvibes

March 25-April 8:

Goals:

Medical $200 / -$18
Groceries $200 / -$13 / -$48
Cash: $100 / $37 / -$26
No Buys: 8

March 25: $0
March 26: $0
March 27: $0 Tomorrow zoo, TRus.
March 28: $23 Zoo admission, sheesh the zoo is expensive! $5 each for the Grandmunchkins to spend, $12.57 Dollar Tree, they had Toy Story Kooky pens, for their Easter Baskets.
March 29: $0
March 30; $13 potluck and dressing for home.
March 31: $0
April 1: $0
April 2: $18 med refills,which my insurance only allows a month at a time refills. I wont even attempt to tell you how I feel about this!:rolleyes1 $48 Groceries, $26 on an appliance I am not sure will be used as much as I hope. The next 3 days will all be NO spend days!! My family is going out of town, I am ADHD dog sitting, and refuse to leave the house or shop online!!

Goal 8 / 5 accomplished.

RonnMel, congratulations on extending the Disneymoon! How exciting!!:cool1:

Allrighty, I'm back and in for the month!! I fell apart at the end of last month. With moving and keeping track of 3 different houses, keeping track of my spending fell by the wayside. We're staying with my MIL for the month and most of our stuff is packed. I anticipate a few extra purchases when I discover something I need is packed and in storage :rotfl2:! I'll go for 10 no buy days this month and I'm posting a budget for the first time.

Food: $10/$420
Gas: $30/$200
Medical: $50
Misc Expenses: $65/$400

April 1 $75 Target-got a little food and a birthday gift for my nephew, $30 Gas

April 2 :cheer2:

1/10 No Buy Days

Virgedon: Congrats on 1 year!!

Mickey Mom: Hope the party is a smashing success and your DH loves it!

Ronmel: Lucky you! 2 weeks at Disney; you'll have such a good time!

Welcom all the new "faces"!

Debbie, I did not know you had 5 kids! I can see why it might take you longer to save for a Disney trip! Are they older or younger?

Today is a 0. Recovering from a week of very intense training for the new job.
Training is a good reason for a $0!

Kids are older now. The 'baby' just turned 17 and will be off to university in the fall. The older ones....1 is teaching in Egypt (and had to be flown home emergency earlier this year...."Thanks Mommy", 1 is relatively settled with gf, and a new "I love it, Mom" job :goodvibes 1 is in university on the East coast (same distance as Disney from us), and we hardly see her at all right now:sad2: AND she's searching for a co-op placement out there for the summer. If that's the case, that's where we'll head in the summer, I think. And the oldest is still floundering....under my roof....and really needs to find his way, and soon! Luckily, I like his gf, and I think that they will spread their wings sooner than later. In the meantime, he has needed saving with several hundreds of $$$ recently. But that's what parents help with. (but the helping is done, and time for him to stand on his own two, wobbly feet). And his parents need to stand firm. :dance3:

Seems like the older they are....the more they cost!

MickeyMomofThree, hope your party is going well tonight!

Debbie, thanks for the kind words! I can't imagine my little ones ever getting that old!

Weekends are always spend days:
4/1: take out; $20 basket raffle for my school
4/2: $15 AC Moore (party gift), $30 gas, $12 Staples, $20 pharmacy

no buy days: 0/8
longest no buy streak: 3 days
meals out: 1/5 (not counting our trip!)
days since our last meal out: 1
longest no meals out streak: 10

:thumbsup2 I lerked on the March No Buy thread,.... thinking I will join you all for April....but I have no idea if my budget is ready for this...?:eek:
Guess there's no better way than to just DIVE RIGHT IN! I will do some more figuring and be back with the plan.

:thumbsup2 I lerked on the March No Buy thread,.... thinking I will join you all for April....but I have no idea if my budget is ready for this...?:eek:
Guess there's no better way than to just DIVE RIGHT IN! I will do some more figuring and be back with the plan.

I haven't done this before but I'd love to try it out! Not sure if I am going to do this right, I'm trying to figure out exactly what everyone is doing... :idea:

I will try to have 7 no-buy days this month. ;)

Budget for the month $1,200 (edit: I had to adjust my #s after looking over last months #s!)
Groceries... $153 / $500
Eating out... $26 / $150
Gas... $50 / $250
Misc... $34 / $200
DH's birthday... $0 / $100

Coupon/Sale savings total = $21.81

04/01- $34 Disney store purchase
04/02- $153 in groceries, $5 for snack at a deli, $21 for pizza, $50 gas. Busy day!
04/03-
04/04-
04/05-
04/06-

I would like to try this for the first time. I read a bit of last month's thread so I hope I do this correctly. I am going to try for 10 no buy days. It will be tough because I work at Target and tend to buy little things when I 'm at work.

:welcome: to all our newbies.

$700 total
$100 Gas
$250 Groceries
$138 Entertainment/Eating Out
$85 Gifts
$100 Misc Household

April 1: $15.00 gift (online Jedi game), $2.00 movie rental, $10.00 lunch out ( I am rounding)
April 2: $0 :)

Running Total: Spent $95.71
$0 Days:1/13

Groceries ($240-$8/day)- $0
Eating Out ($210-$7/day)- $11
Misc. (Shopping/Entertainment) ($780-$26/day) $30.54
Gas $250- 4/2 $54.17 (3.89/gal)= $54.17

1- $0
2- My son's 4th bday. $8.06 (Games-Misc.), $16.10 (Target-Misc.), $6.38 (Dollar Tree-Misc.), $11 (Dairy Queen-Eating Out)
3-

Budget: $1480....6%
Month: 2/30: 7%

No Buy: 1/13: 8%

My savings from coupons and sales: $53.25

Next Month: Rental car for October...6 month insurance premium....First month tuition for preschool....Broadway in Chicago Tickets

I went out this morning to get a paper and a few items at CVS. I also stopped at Save a lot because they had grapes on sale for $.99lb.

April Budget (3/30-4/29)

Grocery/Household- $300/$235.26 left
Car/Gas- $50/$23.38 Left
Eating out- $50/$36.25 left
Misc/entertainment- $100/$62.34 left

Total- $500.00/$357.23 left

Goal of 15 No Buy Days

Week One
3/30- $0
3/31- $54.53 Grocery, $26.62 Gas, $3.32 misc, and $13.75 eating out
4/1- $15 Haircut and $13.05 Walgreens
4/2- $0
4/3- $10.21 Grocery and $6.59 Misc
4/4
4/5

2/15 No Buy Days

Store and Coupon Savings-$40.25

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter