Apparently going to WDW solo is "sad and depressing" LOL

Suzie13 said:
I've never ever been on a solo trip but once when I was a little girl I did get lost in disney. I didn't panic and after a while I liked it alot. I just kept going on rides all day until my family found me.(after 5 hours:coffee:) They said they weren't worried because I knew the place really well. I don't know how the cast members didn't catch on I was alone but I had fun as a kid doing disney alone for that one day:) Maybe I would do it alone when I am older and more confident in myself traveling as I can be clumsy.

This made me giggle. I bet it was a blast going on all the rides.

I've never purposefully been on a solo trip. My last trip was with a friend. Well 5 1/2 days in the park was enough for her so the last day she went to downtown Disney. I started at AK with EMH and ended up going to all the parks that day and rode all my favorite rides. It was fantastic and freeing. Wonderful not worrying about if I was walking too fast, where I wanted to eat, and what rides and characters to meet. That was the best day of the whole trip. I am heading down in Oct with my sis and her family but definitely considering a solo trip at some point in time.

I just did my first solo trip in April. It was great! Crossed off a lot on my bucket list (take a tour, take a picture with a villain, and lastly buy (and wear) mickey ears.

I totally geeked out by myself and didn't care. Only a few times did I feel strange or self conscious but only because I made myself hyper aware of it when something exciting happened and turned to share it with no one...but got over that fairly quickly.

Only time that was strange was I picked Germany to eat at one night and sat with 2 parties of 2 and a party of 3. None of them did anything but talk to each other for the most part. The 2 parties of 2 did start talking business though.

I would go back in a second by myself. I no longer fear that stigma! I would like to go again for some sort of meet up though...that might be fun

Thanks Vito.
I'm still a little nervous about being a guy doing a solo trip to The World but your post gave me some hope that I can get over that and enjoy myself.

I think it's sad when people miss out on what they want to do because they're too insecure to do it on their own. My DH knows that if I want to do something/go somewhere I will, regardless of whether he wants to join me or not :thumbsup2 Sure there are some aspects of a trip that are more enjoyable with a 'friend', but I'd rather do it solo than not at all!

I had a friend say to me just last week - "you're going to Disney alone? That's so sad." I said, no, I'm looking forward to doing exactly what I want to do.

With the family I am constantly running from ride to ride, but alone I will get a drink and sit to enjoy the ambiance and street entertainment. Our last few trips we have not bothered with character meetings, and I am not sure how much of that I will do, but I have a Keys to the Kingdom tour booked and am excited about the trip! I may book a bounceback for December, with or without DH for that one. We're empty-nesters, and I haven't been to see the holiday decorations since 2002.

I did my first Solo trip back in February.
I LOVED IT.
I could change directions mid-stride and didn't have to explain myself to anyone. I could eat when and where I wanted to eat and even go on rides that before I got grumbles about going. This time I had no one to grumble, which usually gave me permission to back out. I saw parts of WDW that I had never done before.

Now I want to do another one and my husband saw how much fun I had, so he wants to go too. :confused3 Not like he hasn't gone with me before, but I guess we were usually having to accommodate other plans besides our own.
We do hope to go this Fall but I have to say my favorite WDW vacation was my solo trip.

The most common comment that was made to me was "Wow you are brave".
And usually followed by "I couldn't go solo".

My favorite thing I did was the Incredibles Dance party. I was alone and I was dancing along and knew no one there would ever see me again so I didn't care how uncoordinated I looked. I just had fun. AND I stayed as long as I wanted with no one saying "are you done yet?"

SOLO trips are awesome!
Yes there can be minutes of lonely/sad, but I shook that off easy enough and it made it all the better. I was so proud of myself.
:thumbsup2

Our last few trips we have not bothered with character meetings, and I am not sure how much of that I will do

Do it. Trust me. This last trip I mainly focused on character meetings, and had a ball. Especially if you play along with them. Like I told Sulley that Boo misses him and made him promise to go visit her (I was going to jump out and scare them, but the kid in front of me did that), and took a picture with me blocking Mike from the camera view (like the various times in MI that he showed up on a TV commercial or magazine blocked out). I came up with an invention for Tinkerbelle to create; skipped around the room with Snow White; got into a discussion with Rapunzel about how cool my CamelBak was and how she needed to convince Flynn to get one because not only does it hold water, it can hold APPLES for Maximus; picked on Naveen for making Tiana carry her own umbrella; embarrassed the snot out of Russel because I gave him a kiss (although he did want to ditch Dug and head to Everest with me afterward); and had to break up a "fight" between Donald and Goofy. I have never laughed so hard while at Disney, and I don't think I waited more than 20 minutes for any of them.

Yeah. My best friend's reaction when I told her I was going to WDW solo was disbelief and "no one travels that far away by themselves". She's one of those people who always has someone around her and really can't be alone.
My aunt said to me, "maybe you'll find someone to go with you before your trip".

I've never been afraid of being by myself and though I'm sure I will have s few moment of sadness over being alone, I believe that I'll be more happy just being where I've wanted to go again for so many years.
I'd rather go alone than not at all. :)

I hope to make a solo trip someday, I think it'd be sort of neat. Of course my DF loves WDW so I'm not sure he would let me go without taking him along!

Do it. Trust me. This last trip I mainly focused on character meetings, and had a ball. Especially if you play along with them.

Funny you should say that actually. I am not a character greet and meet kind of person at all. I had fond memories having my picture with Mickey and other characters as a kid (found a picture with me and Shamu a while back ago lol)....but when I was older, and now REALLY older it has never been an option and I always scoffed at it.

I made it a point in April on my first ever solo trip to find a villain (face character preferred) and get my picture taken. I looked and looked and looked (and looked some more)....stupidly didn't ask anyone though....but never found one on my 3 full days in all the Disney parks. With the Florida resident passes I had an extra day so on the day I was driving back home I went back to the magic kingdom for a half day fun (basically use my fast passes and the remainder of my Disney dining stuff) and as I left my FP for space mountain I saw the wicked stepmother and her 2 daughters....the Tremaines. Only a 6 deep line in the middle of fantasy land....I got in line instantly.

They were soooo much fun! The daughters kept telling me that their mother was single and treated me like I was a visiting prince to the kingdom and were hilarious! I told them I was looking for a servant girl because I hate to dust and they said they were looking for one as well and they were devastated by their loss and all pointed at Cinderella's castle with disdain....Such a great experience. My picture with them is currently in my signature and my smile is genuine laughter because Lady Tremaine was insistent on being next to me as an older visiting prince.....what a great 5 minutes that was literally the last thing on my trip and almost made my entire vacation!

I plan on trying to do this at least once every vacation I go to. I would prefer a villain but they are hard to find outside of the Halloween season...but its a blast and strongly suggest it.

cant say much about non face characters...but for me it was a magical experience and such great entertainment!!

It's funny but my trip this fall was supposed to be solo but a couple of friends asked if they could come. We always have a blast together so I said OK.

So now I'm thinking solo next May. Hmmm.....

My mantra for solo travel is, "Don't put off living your life because there isn't someone to live it with you." I don't want someone else to be the author of my story, I want to write my story myself.

"[...] don't knock my hustle" is exactly right! I love travelling solo and have for years, though my first Disney solo trip will be in 2015. On previous solo trips I mostly get encouraging words and "I could never do that" comments in the sense that they wouldn't have the courage. However, I do sometimes meet people that feel sorry for me. But like others have said, its their own insecurities peeking through. They must have a crutch. That is no way to truly live!

I think Disneyworld will be great as a solo traveller. I can enjoy the reactions of kids around me without also having to defuse their tantrums or wipe their ice-creamy faces. I can do what I want and when I want without hearing someone whine about wanting to sleep in or whatever their current gripe. The only way I travel with people now is when I have no interest in seeing or doing anything at the location and I can just go with the flow.

may1787 said:
My mantra for solo travel is, "Don't put off living your life because there isn't someone to live it with you." I don't want someone else to be the author of my story, I want to write my story myself.

I love that mantra! My thoughts exactly!

You know what's sad and depressing?

Never going on vacation because society expects you to take someone with you, basically putting your life on hold and missing out on wonderful experiences because you are single.

Take advantage of those single rider lines, solo travellers!

You know what's sad and depressing?

Never going on vacation because society expects you to take someone with you, basically putting your life on hold and missing out on wonderful experiences because you are single.

Take advantage of those single rider lines, solo travellers!

:thumbsup2 Amen!!

People who think its sad and depressing to go alone, have probably never even considered going alone. I'm going on my first solo trip July 22-25. Super quick trip. My husband and I just got back a week ago from our last trip and he isn't ready to go back so I said what the heck? Why not?! :cool1:

If I didn't go on holiday alone, I'd never go on holiday. Anyone who wants to have a pop at that is entitled to their opinion. But they're still an idiot.

1F

NONE of my family understands me wanting to go to Disney alone. My DH likes Disney but has not gone on the last two trips so he doesn't really care if he goes or not, my oldest DD18 is starting college in the fall and I refuse to let her go after she has only been in school for 3 months, if she shows me that it will not be an issue and that she can maintain her grades she may get to go next time for a Short trip, and my DD16 is such a complainer, she complaines that the line is to long, we have to walk to far, or where is the freakin bus or something constanly. Also, my DM was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in January and I have been her main means of support, emotionally and physically, and she is doing good at the moment and will finish her radiation and chemotherapy in a couple of months. Sooooooo, I think I am entitled to a little peace and quite. I actually ask my DM to come to Disney with me, she has never been, but she refuses. But onward I go, alone does not bother me, never has.

A sad and depressing day at Disney is better than a sad and depressing day anywhere else. I am an AP an I go to Disney alone a lot and there is nothing sad and depressing about it. I have a blast every time. I feel sad and depressed when I choose not to go because I would do it by myself. Some people are just insecure.

Its a bit of a quandary...half of me wonders have I done the right thing booking my first solo trip in October...and the other half cant wait to do whatever I want, when I want...also I've booked lots of time there, just to be leisurely. ? Soak up the atmosphere and just enjoy been there..and 100% Disney, never stepping off property until my flights home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter