AP QUESTIONS! Should I take the plunge and buy them!

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
So here's my story. We went to WDW in 1998 when dd was 4.5 yo. We were sent to WDW thru MAKE A WISH for dd. It was soooooo magically, as soon as we returned I started planning and saving $$$ for next trip.

We have another child now. dd is now 7 yo and new baby boy is 18 months old. We took both kids to WDW April 2001. Again a remarkable experience.

So we plan to return April 2002.

BUT dh might get a week off of work at the beginning of December! Two great things about this, it's dd's 8 th birthday DEC 5 ~ which is also WALT DISNEY'S 100th BIRTHDAY! So it would be much fun to do WDW Dec 1 - 8th, it's value season too!

We would still like to go April 2002 so I thought I should buy AP's for us. ds won't be 2 yo until January, so a December trip would mean a savings on airfare for him (he's little and a lap kid). We also don't need to buy him an AP until he's 3 yo.

So I can easily justify AP's for dd, dh and me (I think).

I see that there are codes up until Dec 25 for VALUE $49 and MODERATES $89-99 for AP holders. Any AP holders getting these rates?

What do you think I should do ~ should I go for it? We aren't made of money, but when I think of the money we can save while baby is under 2 years old, I start rethinking! THX

Definately you should buy an AP. You wind up breaking even once you have gone over 7 days, so you can figure that if you go for 5 days the first time and 5 days the 2nd time 3 of the days were free. At least that is what has been written on other boards.
IF you have an AP you get lots of discounts too. The AP rates for hotels are fantastic, I just booked for November at AS for $49 per night. These are the same rates as you can get with the codes that are floating around, but the codes are not always available.
The one drawback is your AP can talk to you so you may want to lock it in the bank safe deposit box. I know others find this hard to believe but when I leave mine on my dresser it tells me I should be using it at WDW. My family who believe there are other places besides WDW to vacation don't hear it but I can. It says, your wasting me, go to see Mickey, go to see Mickey.
Last year without my AP I visited the parks from CT 2 times. I bought my AP in August and I have been to the parks 8 days in Aug, 14 days in Jan, 3 days, in March, then 5 days in March later in the month, 4 days in May, 8 days, in June, and I am going again in Aug for 7 days to renew. I already have my Nov and Jan trips booked.
But I am going to lock that AP in my luggage in the attic this year. I just can't take the voices anymore. Peggie

If you really want to save money, the Courtyard by Marriott in DT might be availab during your Dec. trip for $29.

Hi SancraC, I had not originally planned to by APs, but when the AP rates came out for November, I decided to go ahead and do it because we're going for 8 days and it would save us quite a bit of money on the resort alone. We're now planning a trip to go back in May, 2002 with my parents since we'll have APs.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd recommend that you call and make sure you can get a room with an AP rate. You don't have to have the AP when you make the ressie, just when you check-in.

This is will be our 3rd trip to WDW since we started our family almost 8 years ago. We've taken each of our kids when they were 2 1/2YO. The youngest of our 3 kids will be 2 1/2 in November - IMHO, going before they are 3YO is a great money-saver! Fortunately, the youngest will still be 2YO when we check-in in May. She'll have her 3rd birthday while we're there. I understand that Disney's policy is that if they're 2YO when you check-in, they're free for the whole trip.

OK, I've rambled on for long enough. Sorry 'bout that.
Good luck with your decision.
Beth

If you are sure that you are going to get to do 2 trips in the same year, then I would def. buy the AP's. We did that this past year as we planned to do our trips 11 months apart. Our next trip will be 13 months after that and then we plan to do 11 months after that. IOW 4 trips in 26 months. So AP's are definitely the way to go!

:earsgirl:

Hi, I secured a rate of $89.00 at CSR for Dec 1 - 8th. The airfare isn't that bad either. Before I knew about discounts, I booked and paid for our April 2001 trip to CBR with 7 day hoppers. That trip cost $7000.00 Canadian Funds (about $4500.00 US funds). With the AP, I can likely get two trips for about $8000.00 Canadian Funds ($5100.00). I think it's a great deal, but $8000.00 is a lot of money for vacations. I think I need to be talked into this one. Thanks all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter