AP or DVC discount with someone else paying

kniquy

DIS Veteran
In order to get the DVC or AP dining discount if i am the holder of the AP and say my FIL wants to pay for the meal (certainly not going to argue with him) can they still apply the discount?

I don't know how particular they are with this.

Technically, the person who is the card holder is supposed to pay for the meal. I've seen folks here state that what you want to do is allowed, and I've seen people state that they weren't allowed to do it. Depends on the cast member and what they allow.

You can check with your server. What we have done is I'll pay for the meal as I have the AP or TIW card and then they will pay me back. Not as easy as them paying directly. If you look at how the discount is written, the person who has the card must be the person paying for everyone that is to receive the discount. Variation to the policy does happen.

I always had to show ID when I used my AP or DVC card for a discount back in August. One of the transactions was for my sister's souvenir shopping and the CM was very specific that I had to pay.

i am the holder of the AP and say my FIL wants to pay for the meal (certainly not going to argue with him) can they still apply the discount?

1) He should pay you later.
2) If the SERVER sees him paying, the CM has the right to void the discount.
3) I have personally seen this happen on several occasions.
4) I have had guests come to our Desk and complain when they lost the discount.
5) Our manager asked if another person was trying to pay, and the guest said, "Yes."
6) The manager said the AP/DVC/TIW rule is clear and he couldn't do anything about it.*

* NOTE: Whenever a manager away from the restaurant makes a change in price or charges, the money goes against the new manager's location. As an example, a Front Desk manager "comps" a meal or changes a meal's charge, the difference goes against the hotel, not the restaurant. The hotel takes the hit, and not the eatery. The manager can get into a nifty conversation when they add charges to their Cost Center.

If it's paid in cash, nobody will question. But the credit card will have to match the name on the pass/DVC card. Several years ago, it was hit or miss but in the past few years the names have had to match.

When we went last Xmas of last year, this was enforced only once (at a gift shop) and not for any of our meals. We have a weird situation though as we'd split costs a lot and it was usually an AP holder and a non-AP holder jointly paying...

This is one of the reasons we use gift cards for pretty much everything - paying party hands AP/TIW holder a g.c. and then the holder can pay... no names attached.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter