Anyone willing to give me an overview of the new Disneyland system?

momtotwolittleones

Mouseketeer
So, I used to be the person that would help everyone else with all the ins and outs, but with the pandemic we haven't been since 2018 and everything has changed! And now we are looking at a last minute trip, so I don't have much time to research. First, the reservations: I looked this morning, and it had both parks starting entry for tickets, and then right now it says just CA Adventure. Does this change all the time? Can you change your reservation if it opens back up? And what's with all the genie plus and other upgrades - what is it that you recommend we get? (My two kids are 21 and 17, so we're just about rides, not characters or anything.) Anyhow, if anyone is willing to give me a quick rundown I'd greatly appreciate it! I have to book everything today if we are going to leave tomorrow. :worship:

You need a ticket AND a reservation. They aren’t the same thing, but you’ll book your reservation when you buy your ticket.

Tickets will either be Disneyland only, DCA only, or Parkhopper. If you get a park hopper ticket, you must choose a starting park (either DL or DCA) and you can only be in that park until 1pm. After 1pm you can go back and forth to both parks as you like.

Can you change your reservation? Yes, but technically no. In order to change your reservation you need to cancel your existing reservation and book a new reservation. This isn’t that complicated, but there is a SLIGHT danger that when you cancel your existing reservation and go to rebook, nothing will be available. If that happens, you’ll need to stalk the site for availability. If for some reason you are unable to make a reservation, you are out of luck.

Genie+? There is no more fast pass. Now that system is called genie+ and it costs $20. There are no more physical kiosks to get fast pass tickets, instead everything is done through the app on your phone. In that regard it’s like the old Max pass system. A major difference is that you can only use the FastPass lines (now called lightning lanes) once per ride. Yes, you should get it if you are focused on rides.

There’s also three rides that are not part of genie+: Radiator Springs Racers, Webslingers, and Rise of the Resistance. If you want to use the lightning lanes for those rides, you can purchase those passes individually. It will definitely get you on those attractions faster if you find that priority access to be worth the cost.

That’s the overview of how it works. There are many other threads if you want strategies or details on how best to use these to plan your park day.

There’s also three rides that are not part of genie+: Radiator Springs Racers, Webslingers, and Rise of the Resistance. If you want to use the lightning lanes for those rides, you can purchase those passes individually. It will definitely get you on those attractions faster if you find that priority access to be worth the cost.
There are actually a lot of rides that aren't on Genie+ at all: POTC, most Fantasyland stuff, etc.

You need a ticket AND a reservation. They aren’t the same thing, but you’ll book your reservation when you buy your ticket.

Tickets will either be Disneyland only, DCA only, or Parkhopper. If you get a park hopper ticket, you must choose a starting park (either DL or DCA) and you can only be in that park until 1pm. After 1pm you can go back and forth to both parks as you like.

Can you change your reservation? Yes, but technically no. In order to change your reservation you need to cancel your existing reservation and book a new reservation. This isn’t that complicated, but there is a SLIGHT danger that when you cancel your existing reservation and go to rebook, nothing will be available. If that happens, you’ll need to stalk the site for availability. If for some reason you are unable to make a reservation, you are out of luck.

Genie+? There is no more fast pass. Now that system is called genie+ and it costs $20. There are no more physical kiosks to get fast pass tickets, instead everything is done through the app on your phone. In that regard it’s like the old Max pass system. A major difference is that you can only use the FastPass lines (now called lightning lanes) once per ride. Yes, you should get it if you are focused on rides.

That’s the overview of how it works. There are many other threads if you want strategies or details on how best to use these to plan your park day.
Thank you!!! This is exactly what I needed. And thanks for pointing out my concern about the "rebooking" of the reservation - that I would cancel, and then by the time went back to select the different starting park it would be gone. Unfortunately it looks we are stuck with CA Adventure both mornings.

So, I used to be the person that would help everyone else with all the ins and outs, but with the pandemic we haven't been since 2018 and everything has changed! And now we are looking at a last minute trip, so I don't have much time to research. First, the reservations: I looked this morning, and it had both parks starting entry for tickets, and then right now it says just CA Adventure. Does this change all the time? Can you change your reservation if it opens back up? And what's with all the genie plus and other upgrades - what is it that you recommend we get? (My two kids are 21 and 17, so we're just about rides, not characters or anything.) Anyhow, if anyone is willing to give me a quick rundown I'd greatly appreciate it! I have to book everything today if we are going to leave tomorrow. :worship:
Touring the parks is not like it use to be.
Pack your patience and be flexible if you create a plan.

The weather forecast looks nice for Anaheim.
Enjoy your trip.

A couple of other things to know...

Dining - Mobile order isn't totally new, but has become much more prevalent. Most quick service places do mobile order and it can save a lot of time. You can order at any point for a particular window later in the day and you don't get charged until your window arrives and you say "I'm here." then they begin making your food. I often say "I'm here" as I start to walk over, then you get a notification when things are ready and go to the dedicated mobile pick up window (with usually no line).

WOC virtual queue - If you are interested in seeing World of Color, you can attempt to join the virtual queue at noon the day you are visiting to try to get a reserved spot (you do this on the app). They go fast. If you miss out, you can also just try to find a stand by spot.

A couple of other things to know...

Dining - Mobile order isn't totally new, but has become much more prevalent. Most quick service places do mobile order and it can save a lot of time. You can order at any point for a particular window later in the day and you don't get charged until your window arrives and you say "I'm here." then they begin making your food. I often say "I'm here" as I start to walk over, then you get a notification when things are ready and go to the dedicated mobile pick up window (with usually no line).

WOC virtual queue - If you are interested in seeing World of Color, you can attempt to join the virtual queue at noon the day you are visiting to try to get a reserved spot (you do this on the app). They go fast. If you miss out, you can also just try to find a stand by spot.
Thank you!!! This is great info.

There are actually a lot of rides that aren't on Genie+ at all: POTC, most Fantasyland stuff, etc.
Hijacking….I knew several FL rides were not on G+….
Somehow didn't notice POTC was not…Does that line move quickly? I have not been able to stalk it due to it being down for refurb.

The WDW version can be a slog of a wait. Trying to figure out where and when to ride it once its open again

Hijacking….I knew several FL rides were not on G+….
Somehow didn't notice POTC was not…Does that line move quickly? I have not been able to stalk it due to it being down for refurb.

The WDW version can be a slog of a wait. Trying to figure out where and when to ride it once its open again
Pirates is closed for Refirb until July 1st. Yes this is a fast mover specifically because it has not Lightening Lane (like Fast pass but Genie+) to slow it down. This ride often has waits of 10 - 30 mins though it can get longer depending on the day

Today is a great weather day for DLR, tomorrow climbs back into the 80’s.

One detail I’ve noticed as someone who frequents the parks, is that because everyone for the most part has their heads down in their phones, they sometimes miss opportunities. For example, I completely agree about using Mobile Ordering to Shosh’s point. At the same time, I’ve seen empty walk up lines…and longer mobile wait times at certain locations. Keep your head up and eyes open for line openings, etc.

Don’t hesitate to ask CM’s questions. Again, because of technology I don’t see as much personal interaction between guests and CM’s. There are plenty CM’s that can make a day much easier with tidbits of information whether you are a seasoned AP or an occasional visitor.

Also, since your kids are older being able to stay later or do rides during nighttime spectacular's are a great option for you as well, since you’re starting in DCA and will be hopping to Dland.

Have a fantastic time!

Pirates is closed for Refirb until July 1st. Yes this is a fast mover specifically because it has not Lightening Lane (like Fast pass but Genie+) to slow it down. This ride often has waits of 10 - 30 mins though it can get longer depending on the day
So no need to rope drop it. POTC is a huge fav of my familly. Its one we love to ride multiple time. We have heard its much better then MK, so eager to ride it a few times.

So no need to rope drop it. POTC is a huge fav of my familly. Its one we love to ride multiple time. We have heard its much better then MK, so eager to ride it a few times.
Oh, yes! Just an amazing original.

The longest part of the queue is in exposed sun and now that they have removed large trees out front, so it’s even longer standing in sun. Unless, they have added shade when the walls come down. Just an FYI.

The longest part of the queue is in exposed sun and now that they have removed large trees out front, so it’s even longer standing in sun. Unless, they have added shade when the walls come down. Just an FYI.
good advice, I actually started a thread about ques and sun a while back.

Maybe they did something in the refurb to address that?

Thats on great thing about POTC in Mk, the que is under cover. Its a great spot to go for a break from the sun or rain

Btw - they replaced the old trees. Might not be as much coverage, but should be some shady spots.

Disneyland-Pirates-queue-trees.jpgDisneyland_Pirates-Queue_Tree-in-Queue-1-of-1-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter