Anyone watching the Grammy Awards tonight?

Wow I missed it.... :rolleyes1

Not really I could careless...:D

They ruined all the awards shows with all the politic's, and all the other movements. All the bullying that goes on if a performer wants to do what they do... perform for their fans...We tune in for the entertainment value...

Toooooo be completely honest... I don't care about what these stars have to say... they are performers, and performers pretend to be something... they are not... they have their on stage persona and who they are in real life are completely different....Does anyone really think that this is really important to them, or just another way to get attention, for some who's star might not be burning as brightly, or to be on trend, or going viral on something they most of them have know idea about... If you are passionate about something, then do something about it, putting all that money to good use, feeding the homeless, pick up trash on the beach, help clean up red tide, provide music programs for school or the arts, help seniors that are on a fixed income with extra food and the cost of medicine, rides to the doctors, build more domestic violence shelters and pay to run them, housing for runaways with help in education and counseling, the list goes on and on... Stop standing up there and preaching to everyone like we are a bunch of idiots:headache:. Show me... don't tell me.. I can make a decision for myself...

For me.... I want to be entertained... Isn't that what the award shows are all about.... for out standing performance's....I want to sit back and enjoy their voice, their music, their acting skills, have them take me to another place, or world, or time...

We have even started not watching certain shows, if the writer or whoever stick in their political views and agendas into the script ... we stop watching... there is enough of that on TV, every minute of every day...

So now I will get off my soap box, and finish my coffee... :surfweb:

Have a magical day...pixiedust:

Wow I missed it.... :rolleyes1

Not really I could careless...:D

They ruined all the awards shows with all the politic's, and all the other movements. All the bullying that goes on if a performer wants to do what they do... perform for their fans...We tune in for the entertainment value...

Toooooo be completely honest... I don't care about what these stars have to say... they are performers, and performers pretend to be something... they are not... they have their on stage persona and who they are in real life are completely different....Does anyone really think that this is really important to them, or just another way to get attention, for some who's star might not be burning as brightly, or to be on trend, or going viral on something they most of them have know idea about... If you are passionate about something, then do something about it, putting all that money to good use, feeding the homeless, pick up trash on the beach, help clean up red tide, provide music programs for school or the arts, help seniors that are on a fixed income with extra food and the cost of medicine, rides to the doctors, build more domestic violence shelters and pay to run them, housing for runaways with help in education and counseling, the list goes on and on... Stop standing up there and preaching to everyone like we are a bunch of idiots:headache:. Show me... don't tell me.. I can make a decision for myself...

For me.... I want to be entertained... Isn't that what the award shows are all about.... for out standing performance's....I want to sit back and enjoy their voice, their music, their acting skills, have them take me to another place, or world, or time...

We have even started not watching certain shows, if the writer or whoever stick in their political views and agendas into the script ... we stop watching... there is enough of that on TV, every minute of every day...

So now I will get off my soap box, and finish my coffee... :surfweb:

Have a magical day...pixiedust:

I have a real issue with this type of opinion. Celebrities (singers, actors, sports players, etc) do not simply exist to entertain you. They are PEOPLE with feelings, their own opinions, and most importantly, they have the same political rights as everyone else. What they have that you and I don't, is a platform, and the ability to say something and actually be heard. I have no issue with anyone using their right to speak out about things that they find unjust, on behalf of those whose voices will never be heard. Writers of TV shows similarly have an ability to craft stories using real life events and situations as inspiration. There is nothing wrong with that. In this country, like it or not, politics affects every aspect of our lives. That is the nature of our type of government.

Many, MANY of these outspoken celebrities DO put their money (and their time) where their mouth is. To assume they don't is wrong. Lady Gaga is just one current example of someone who spends an inordinate amount of time and money on philanthropic pursuits. She isn't just doing it for the attention. She truly believes that she has a duty to help people, and she does it. Drake is another one. Alicia Keys. Miley Cyrus. Chance the Rapper. Macklemore. Elton John. Kesha. Bruno Mars. Taylor Swift. Rhianna. Dr. Dre. One Direction. Beyonce. Carrie Underwood. Demi Lovato. Justin Beiber. Bono. Paul McCartney. Willie Nelson. Keith Urban. These are just some of the singers, not to mention all the actors and sports celebrities who have strong records of philanthropy.

They are not simply monkeys that you get to snap at and order to perform for you for your enjoyment. Sheesh.

They are not simply monkeys that you get to snap at and order to perform for you for your enjoyment. Sheesh.

Maybe not in your opinion but they sure are in mine.
They are Entertainers, they can speak their politics and opinions all they want but that doesn't make them anything "more" than people being paid to provide entertainment. You know like monkeys could do.

You know they are entertainers correct? That is their job, that is exactly what they get paid to do.
If you want to hold them up on some pedestal go for it, I choose to see them as what they are.
People paid to do a job. That job is to entertain the masses.
I suppose when the plumber comes to your house, you would be ok with him charging his hourly rate to rant about all the injustice in the world right. Afterall they are entitled to their opinion and use their platform to speak out to all their customers, even those who just want their furnace fixed.
Somehow I doubt that.

I don't have a problem with anybody, entertainer or not, having or supporting their viewpoints.
JUST DON'T DO IT ON THE CLOCK, ON MY TIME, TO A CAPTIVE AUDIENCE.
Go to rallies, give your billions to support your cause... Whatever.... Your choice.
The negative and hateful politics have been forced upon and invaded sports, entertainment, and everything else.
Nothing seem off limits to these people.

There are a lot of people that say things I don't like (which is the real problem you have) and I just turn the channel, or turn off my internet, and move on. I don't believe in censoring in these cases unless it is extremely hateful or dangerous.

There are a lot of people that say things I don't like (which is the real problem you have) and I just turn the channel, or turn off my internet, and move on. I don't believe in censoring in these cases unless it is extremely hateful or dangerous.

I don't think anyone is actually calling for them to be censored, they can go ahead and do whatever they want.
Those of us who don't care to hear their opinions just don't tune in and listen. I'm just there to see the important stuff- like who they wear.
My opinion is that they should use their free time to rant all they want don't do it on the job unless you are at a political rally as a guest speaker for that reason.
Or your movie, or concert is about that where I chose to attend so that I can listen to your all important views on the world.
I'm not joining any protests or organize any marches to make them though.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with anybody, entertainer or not, having or supporting their viewpoints.
JUST DON'T DO IT ON THE CLOCK, ON MY TIME, TO A CAPTIVE AUDIENCE.
Go to rallies, give your billions to support your cause... Whatever.... Your choice.
The negative and hateful politics have been forced upon and invaded sports, entertainment, and everything else.
Nothing seem off limits to these people.

This! Now, having said that I didn’t notice much preaching with what little I saw of this year’s Grammy’s, but I only saw a small portion.

PP mentioned Lady Gaga and she’s definitely someone who is ALL OVER social media supporting various causes & ideals.

But, I don’t recall her being obnoxious on awards shows. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

You know they are entertainers correct? That is their job, that is exactly what they get paid to do.
If you want to hold them up on some pedestal go for it, I choose to see them as what they are.
People paid to do a job. That job is to entertain the masses.
I suppose when the plumber comes to your house, you would be ok with him charging his hourly rate to rant about all the injustice in the world right. Afterall they are entitled to their opinion and use their platform to speak out to all their customers, even those who just want their furnace fixed.
Somehow I doubt that.

I don't hold anyone up on a pedestal, except maybe my kids. ;) I certainly don't think celebrities are better people or worse people, or anything else. But they are people. They deserve the same respect and rights that all people deserve. And they are famous because WE make them so. We buy their music, watch their movies, watch them play, buy their merchandise. The collective "we", that is. Every time you even turn on the TV or Radio, you are contributing to their relevance.

To me, performance art isn't just a "job." It is culturally relevant. It is art. Acting is art. Singing is art. Making music is art. Art makes people feel things. Art is a form of expression. Art has been relevant to society for as long as there have been people on this earth. If you don't get any type of satisfaction from consuming art, I feel very sorry for you. That seems like a terrible way to live. And like it or not, artists usually suffer. It's why their art is so good, so real, and so creative. If you can't listen and actually hear what musicians are trying to say, both through their own medium as well as by simply speaking out, you are the one missing out, because what they often have to say is worth hearing. Sometimes it's drivel, for sure. Many celebrities ARE self centered, selfish brats. But it is not fair to paint them all with the same brush.

A plumber is a tradesman. He is trained to do one thing. He does not have the same freedom of expression in doing his work. He fixes things according to a manual or senior plumber that told him how to do it. But if a plumber came to my house and felt really passionate about a subject and wished to engage me with it, I'd have no problem listening to him. Maybe what he has to say will change my life. Maybe he is struggling with something personal and just needs someone to listen to him. Maybe what he has to say will upset me, and I will share my views as well. But I'd let him talk. He's not a robot. In fact, I just had a guy over yesterday to install a dishwasher and we had a very enjoyable conversation. Nice guy. I could have told him to shut up, and just do his job, but that would have made me a total "witch."

I think the concept of mass media award shows is well past its prime. The Grammy's is one that's in a perfect position to transition to something that can produce a spectacle to attract a television audience, celebrate the art of music and allow performers valuable exposure to a wide audience. I say have an announcer who can introduce the acts and roll from performance to performance while crawling the nominees and the winner at the bottom of the screen. It will free up more time to allow a wider variety of genres and styles a chance of being seen. Could still keep in an in Memoriam segment -- and maybe allow for adequate time to recognize a truly comprehensive group as much as possible. Maybe the lifetime achievements could be the awards presented on screen and have adequate amount of time to showcase the careers of true pioneers and geniuses.

The fashion could still reign on the red carpet before the ceremonies. It would virtually shutdown opportunities for political grandstanding and bickering. A lot more music could shine and be celebrated.

ETA Thank you speeches could be done by artists on social media or, shockingly, individually via personal communication.

I appreciate art as the creative expression of the soul and important for society and humanity, and don't think artists or actors, in this case, are on par with "monkeys" as one states here, geeesh lol. And they have a right to their voice also. But I will say if I don't like the particular art, I just don't look at it, much like I didn't watch most of the Grammy's bc a lot of today's music isn't really my thing. Do like Gaga and Dolly Parton and a couple others that were on.

“I must study politics and war, that my sons may study mathematics and philosophy…in order to give their children the right to study painting, poetry, music and architecture.”

John Q. Adams

"Every genuine work of art has as much reason for being as the earth and the sun." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited:
Ohhhh, so being a 'performance artist', or an athlete, makes their own personal political views relavant...
They are no more relevant that that plumber, doctor, teacher, whatever....
Not seeing that, at all.
A comedian is a performance artist... Does that make the use of the vile language and adult content that are often involved 'okay' in a more open public setting?

Like all views and opinions, they are like 'behinds'.... everbody has one...
IMHO, being a preformance artist, or whatever... does not give them license to, basically, force their views while on the job, on the clock, onto a captive audience.

And again, everybody has the freedom to promote and espouse the views, and more importantly, their open and blatant hatred of any other views,
ON THEIR OWN TIME.

Last edited:
PS: Gumbo.... yes, I will agree, from the parts that I did catch, that the blatant 'preaching' was subdued.
But, it was still there, no doubt about it. 100%

Ohhhh, so being a 'performance artist', or an athlete, makes their own personal political views relavant...
They are no more relevant that that plumber, doctor, teacher, whatever....

Not seeing that, at all.
A comedian is a performance artist... Does that make the use of the vile language and adult content that are often involved 'okay' in a more open public setting?

Like all views and opinions, they are like 'behinds'.... everbody has one...
IMHO, being a preformance artist, or whatever... does not give them license to, basically, force their views while on the job, on the clock, onto a captive audience.

And again, everybody has the freedom to promote and espouse the views, and more importantly, their open and blatant hatred of any other views,
ON THEIR OWN TIME.

Who said they are more relevant? NO ONE. Sometimes I wonder if you read the same thing as everyone else.

They are also not forcing their views on anyone. Having an opinion and expressing it is one of our basic rights, and that includes hatred of any other views. I, for one, hate a lot of other views.

If you don't like the Grammys, Oscars, CMAs, etc...don't watch. No one is forcing you too.

Also, back on topic. I really enjoyed the Grammy's this year. I loved Miley and Shawn Mendez! And it was also the first time I actually heard Post Malone after seeing his name forever. Oh, and I'm also now a fan of H.E.R. Beautiful voice!

I don't hold anyone up on a pedestal, except maybe my kids. ;) I certainly don't think celebrities are better people or worse people, or anything else. But they are people. They deserve the same respect and rights that all people deserve. And they are famous because WE make them so. We buy their music, watch their movies, watch them play, buy their merchandise. The collective "we", that is. Every time you even turn on the TV or Radio, you are contributing to their relevance.

To me, performance art isn't just a "job." It is culturally relevant. It is art. Acting is art. Singing is art. Making music is art. Art makes people feel things. Art is a form of expression. Art has been relevant to society for as long as there have been people on this earth. If you don't get any type of satisfaction from consuming art, I feel very sorry for you. That seems like a terrible way to live. And like it or not, artists usually suffer. It's why their art is so good, so real, and so creative. If you can't listen and actually hear what musicians are trying to say, both through their own medium as well as by simply speaking out, you are the one missing out, because what they often have to say is worth hearing. Sometimes it's drivel, for sure. Many celebrities ARE self centered, selfish brats. But it is not fair to paint them all with the same brush.

A plumber is a tradesman. He is trained to do one thing. He does not have the same freedom of expression in doing his work. He fixes things according to a manual or senior plumber that told him how to do it. But if a plumber came to my house and felt really passionate about a subject and wished to engage me with it, I'd have no problem listening to him. Maybe what he has to say will change my life. Maybe he is struggling with something personal and just needs someone to listen to him. Maybe what he has to say will upset me, and I will share my views as well. But I'd let him talk. He's not a robot. In fact, I just had a guy over yesterday to install a dishwasher and we had a very enjoyable conversation. Nice guy. I could have told him to shut up, and just do his job, but that would have made me a total "witch."

Time & place. If you win an Oscar for portraying a real life black woman who got NASA out of major jam during a time of segregation (for example), you’ve earned the right to comment on the significance of race in our society during your speech.

If you win a Grammy for some catchy tune about nothing, you should take your little statue home and save your sermon for another day.

I guess this is a bad time to jump in and say I actually think Cardi B is great? Lol. This thread got even more intense than it was yesterday...

Wholeheartedly agree, and I'd add that saying they're only there for your personal entertainment "like monkeys" is a lot more shocking to me than anyone's dance moves. If you don't like what someone is doing with their platform that's fine, I certainly don't agree with every celebrity's point of view. But do we have to be so hostile or can we just not pay attention to the ones we don't care for?

I wonder what people would think of their plumber showing up in a political hat or shirt.

Who said they are more relevant? NO ONE. Sometimes I wonder if you read the same thing as everyone else.

They are also not forcing their views on anyone. Having an opinion and expressing it is one of our basic rights, and that includes hatred of any other views. I, for one, hate a lot of other views.

If you don't like the Grammys, Oscars, CMAs, etc...don't watch. No one is forcing you too.

Also, back on topic. I really enjoyed the Grammy's this year. I loved Miley and Shawn Mendez! And it was also the first time I actually heard Post Malone after seeing his name forever. Oh, and I'm also now a fan of H.E.R. Beautiful voice!

I'm ready for the Grammy's to simply show me a lot more music -- and quit telling me how "special" what's coming up is. It's fantastic when a genuinely magical music moment happens. It's rarely one of the ones they're endlessly hyping. If they just allowed more space in the program for more performances it ups the odds for magic to happen organically. I'm bored watching the award presentations and listening to speeches already. Let the music play!

I never even heard of H.E.R. until the Grammy's. I was impressed. I'm rooting for her to continue forging her own path and not get pulled into the hype machine. It seems like she has the potential to put out some fantastic music we can look forward to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter