Anyone use points to go to Disneyland?

tss2

DVC BWV and VB
We are considering going to Disneyland with our points next summer. We'd like to experience Disneyland sometime and the 50th anniversary deal sounded like it might be a good time. I've never been to California and wondered if it would be worth the trip over going to WDW and VB. Has anyone been to Disneyland on points? Here are my questions:

Do you think the Disneyland hotel is worth the points?
Are we spoiled by DVC locations and would be disappointed at Disneyland Hotel?
Is there enough to do to spend a week with Disneyland hotel for home base?
Where are local non disney places we could do day trips to?
Have you used points to stay somewhere else in the area that you prefer?

Thanks for any help!

tss2 said:
We are considering going to Disneyland with our points next summer. We'd like to experience Disneyland sometime and the 50th anniversary deal sounded like it might be a good time. I've never been to California and wondered if it would be worth the trip over going to WDW and VB. Has anyone been to Disneyland on points? Here are my questions:

Do you think the Disneyland hotel is worth the points?

(Yes) I would go ahead and spend the extra points and get the Downtown View.

Are we spoiled by DVC locations and would be disappointed at Disneyland Hotel?The Disneyland Hotel is kinda old, but it's the Disneyland Hotel, the wellspring. The walk from the hotel throught DD is wonderfull. The compact fell of the DL Downtown Disney is really pretty cool. I like it better than WDW DD.
Is there enough to do to spend a week with Disneyland hotel for home base?
I only spent 3 days there with my DW, but we had a great time. We've been twice this year. And since we live in Atlanta, and drive down to WDW about once a month, taking two 4.5 hour trips out to DL is a pretty big deal. I would do it tomorrow if I had the vaction days. As cool as WDW is, DL is the Disney we grew up with.

Where are local non disney places we could do day trips to?
Hard core Disney here.
Have you used points to stay somewhere else in the area that you prefer?

Thanks for any help!

Hope this helps.

Daggett.

We just returned from DL this past week. Four nights GC concierge on points. The resort is wonderful one of Disney's best themed resorts -- think Poly, WL or AKL. But the concierge level is not that spectacular. Services are minimal. The food in the lounge is quite good, but you can't possibly eat the difference in cost in free food. Overall I rate the concierge level as not worth the premium. Get a Theme park or DD view room and you will have a great time at any of the resorts.

A four night stay is plenty for both parks, DD and enjoying resort amenities in the afternoons.

At the time we made our reservations the points worked out to an equivalent of a 20% discount from a cash rate.

Go to mousesavers to check park tickets discounts and compare to the DVC discounted AP. We bought discounted tickets from a link on Mousesavers then upgraded to the DVC DL AP for very little extra. The dining discounts and an additional visit early next year will make the extra dollars to upgrade a good decision for us.

Non-Disney:

San Diego: Wild Animal Park is fabulous and only 90 minutes away. The San Diego Zoo and Sea World will each be about 2 hours away.
http://sandiegozoo.com/wap/index.html
http://www.seaworld.com/seaworld/ca/default.aspx

One of the original old parks is just minutes away -- Knotts Berry Farm and Theme Park
http://www.knotts.com/

Universal Studios in Hollywood
http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/hollywood/website/index.html?__source=RGMN

JimC said:
We just returned from DL this past week. Four nights GC concierge on points. The resort is wonderful one of Disney's best themed resorts -- think Poly, WL or AKL. But the concierge level is not that spectacular. Services are minimal. The food in the lounge is quite good, but you can't possibly eat the difference in cost in free food. Overall I rate the concierge level as not worth the premium. Get a Theme park or DD view room and you will have a great time at any of the resorts.

A four night stay is plenty for both parks, DD and enjoying resort amenities in the afternoons.

At the time we made our reservations the points worked out to an equivalent of a 20% discount from a cash rate.

Go to mousesavers to check park tickets discounts and compare to the DVC discounted AP. We bought discounted tickets from a link on Mousesavers then upgraded to the DVC DL AP for very little extra. The dining discounts and an additional visit early next year will make the extra dollars to upgrade a good decision for us.

Non-Disney:

San Diego: Wild Animal Park is fabulous and only 90 minutes away. The San Diego Zoo and Sea World will each be about 2 hours away.
http://sandiegozoo.com/wap/index.html
http://www.seaworld.com/seaworld/ca/default.aspx

One of the original old parks is just minutes away -- Knotts Berry Farm and Theme Park
http://www.knotts.com/

Universal Studios in Hollywood
http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/hollywood/website/index.html?__source=RGMN

Jim,
Did you get a chance to eat at StoryTeller's? The Huevos Rancheros in the morning are hot enought to definitely wake you up first thing in the morning.

First time we were there in March we stayed at the GC. Room overlooking Condor Flats.

You are correct. It is a wonderful hotel.

Daggett.

Daggett said:
Jim,
Did you get a chance to eat at StoryTeller's? The Huevos Rancheros in the morning are hot enought to definitely wake you up first thing in the morning.

First time we were there in March we stayed at the GC. Room overlooking Condor Flats.

You are correct. It is a wonderful hotel.

Daggett.

Daggert,

No, not this trip. Since we were on Concierge floor breakfast, afternoon/evening snacks were all "on the house". We have eaten there on previous trips and it is a fun place to go.

thanks for the help! glad to hear from people who have done this already!

We're going in June. Used our DVC points for the DLH with the discounted point rates for the 50th. Can't wait, although I'm dreading that flight! I'm from Atlanta, too and the drive down to WDW isn't that bad - so going to DL is a big deal to us!

lenshanem said:
We're going in June. Used our DVC points for the DLH with the discounted point rates for the 50th. Can't wait, although I'm dreading that flight! I'm from Atlanta, too and the drive down to WDW isn't that bad - so going to DL is a big deal to us!
It's not so bad once you get used to the fact that you finish your meal and movie and there is still 2 1/2 more hours to fly! Enjoy your trip!

but I do love Disneyland. We currently live in the neighborhood and love the parks but I would stay at the GC.

A few years ago we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and found it quite shabby especially for the price. I have never actually stayed at GC but the lobby and public spaces look like it would be more than worth a try.

Good luck with your trip!

We are staying at the DLH next month. With the points discount it is a good use of points. DD is very excited to stay there. We are thinking of another trip before the points go up again.

It has been several year's since staying at the DLH so I will have more to report back next month.

Most of the off sight hotels are okay. The ones we have stayed in need some updating and better cleaning. I hope we are not disappointed with the DLH.

What are the points for the DLH for each season with the discounted points for the 50th?

We've stayed at the GC twice now and it was great, but it's more points. The GC is great for it's views and also direct private entrance into CA. The DLH is very nice outside (we've never seen the rooms) and it would be a pleasant walk throught DD to get to the parks. Have you considered Paradise Pier? It's still fairly new and has fewer points, although it's off to the side a little bit.

I second Jim's other theme parks. KBF is pretty neat. US is very different from USF, but also similar in many respects, but worth the trip.

SW in San Diego is different enough from SW in Orlando and worth a stop. And of course the zoo in San Diego is great. (Although lots of hills).

You might also consider going to Hollywood and taking in an NBC TV taping. They're free, many of them on Thursday nights. They often hand out tickets at Grauman's Chinese Theater (The real one, not the reproduction one at WDW's MGM Studios :teeth: ), or you can go right to the NBC Studios (they're nearby to Grauman's) and check. CBS and ABC Studios aren't as handy to get to as NBC)

Keep in mind driving in California will be very different. First, the place is huge. You basically have over a 100 miles of urban development all the way up and down the coast. It's very crowded, and try to avoid rush hours at all costs. Look at your maps carefully before setting out. It's easy to get caught in the wrong lane and unable to get to your exit, so think way ahead while driving.

If you go to San Diego, you might want to head down into Mexico for a few hours. It's not that much further. If you do, don't drive across the border. Instead park at the border crossing (it's pay, but only a few dollars), and walk across the border. That'll put you right into all the areas of Tiajuana that are interesting. When done, just walk back across the border (you'll have to walk back a different way, crossing over a pedestrian bridge and going through U.S. Customs. Be sure to carry ID with you, such as a driver's license just in case they need to check.)

While not practical for this trip, if you were staying longer, there's a Ton of stuff you could do. Go see the Queen Mary, (The Spruce Goose is no longer there), take a side trip to Catalina Island, or even take the PCH for a drive up north toward San Francisco, stopping at Pebble Beach and taking the 17-mile drive there. California has some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever see.

To follow up on Bill's thought for the PCH drive. Make sure you book a tour at Hearst Castle. It is something that you just have to experience.

Also even though Wild Animal Park and the Zoo are hilly (a bit of a challenge for disabled or wheelchairs) both have alternate means of getting around including shuttles. The folks at both locations were very happy to assist. The Zoo's map is probably the best that I have seen as it labels the grades throughout so you know what paths are good to take and can see how to bypass steep grades.

The newest panda addition, recently born (8/05), is available only on panda cam right now.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/zoo/ex_panda_station.html

We are annual passholders at DL. We live in LA but still sometimes choose to stay in a hotel. We have stayed at the marriot. The transportation system is excellent. Trams come every 20 minutes at every offsite hotel. Unlike DW most hotels are offsite and part of good neighbor. You get the same perks.

Hotels I'd reccomend:
Marriot
Portofino
Embassy Suites

We have taken advantage of the timeshare presentation in nearby Newport Beach. With that we got 3 weekday nights and 2 adult disney Tix. We traded them in for AP's.

I disagree that you only need 3 nights. Yes, if you only doing the 2 parks, but not if you want take advantage of being in SoCal. Beaches, world renowned shopping, famous restaurants, and of course hollywood.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter