Anyone take PB&J sandwiches through airport security?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they should be considerate of others also!

I will eat my PB&J because there is no scientific reason not to. Me eating a PB&J does no harm to an allergy person unless they plan on grabbing it and eating it. Peanut butter does not release peanut protein into the air and that is what they react to. So I will not open a pack of peanuts right under their noses because that is a risk but I will eat my no risk to them sandwich.

and I bet you'd be the first person to complain when the plane has to make an emergency landing to get someone who's having an allergic reaction to the ER....

melcia said:
When I was first diagnosed, I experienced EXTREME anxiety to the point where I barely left my house and was terrified of being exposed to peanuts in any way. My allergist told me about picking up oils etc from doorknobs and just how scary this world is for someone with allergies and I had a horrible time coming to terms with it.
Which is why it irks me when a complete stranger criticizes my occasional, entirely self-contained, ready-to-eat meal selection where (again, unless I slobber, kiss, or lick someone/something after eating) there's NO opportunity for any peanut product to spread.

CamoMama said:
Parents of children with allergies cannot be held responsible for when the airline chooses to make an announcement. It has been stated by parents here already that they make the airline aware of the allergy at booking and check in an hour early to ensure that there are non-peanut snacks available on the plane.
That's parents here.

This is a "revolves around me" world, and the bulk of travelers don't operate as you've described. Some people just don't care how their medical issues affest others. Check the Transportation board. Many people haven't flown in years, or at all. They're not thinking 'allergies', they're thinking 'reduce stress'. When the passenger doesn't inform the airline until onboard/in flight the airline can't announce until then - and that's too late to change the snack.

While the link to the phone research someone posted earlier is based on self-reporting, and realistically a person who didn't survive a anaphylaxis attack on a plane couldn't respond, searching for 'peanut allergy fatalities on flights' brought up no actual results, i.e. no instances in which a person didn't survive.

See post 70! There are three of us here now. Two of my DD and their children too. Unscented everything and double rinses at least.

Same here. Gives us rashes and headaches, but no life threatening issues. Can't stand candles either.

Just curious, not a criticism of anyone's technique, but is there no other portable food that will deal with a blood sugar emergency aside from peanuts/peanut products/nuts?

Then they better have their epi pen handy. My kids and I don't have any food allergies, just allergies to growing things outside, some years are worse than others, so far this year has been great so far.

Wow, DisneyMomma---you really have no grasp of life threatening allergies. Have the EpiPen handy?! Obviously, you must know that an individual receiving epinephrine needs to be in an emergency room within 30 minutes and therefore your Disney-bound flight will be making an emergency landing. Epinephrine does not always save a person...this is a misconception. Most times it will work, but my child needed a second dose and airway support within 30 minutes of LICK of peanut butter.

I also have no problem with other people eating PB&J sandwiches on a flight. We wipe her seat down & cover it before she sits. Peanut butter does not release aerosolized proteins (like little bags of peanuts do---dust is released). I understand the smell of peanut makes allergic people uncomfortable but the reality is that it is not a risk.

My daughter has experienced 2 airborne reactions (not on a plane). We choose specific airlines to fly because they do not serve peanuts & we understand there is a chance someone ate a peanut butter sandwich in the seat on a flight before us (see above: wiping and covering the seat, tray table, arm rests, etc). We choose early morning flights to hopefully get a recently-cleaned airplane.

Back to OP: Yes, you can bring sandwiches through security. It is your choice what you decide to pack. I don't know if there are some situations where you will be asked to refrain from eating them...maybe, because it sounds like many people have a lack of information about life threatening allergies. If your child was eating a PB&J and seated next to my daughter, then I would move my daughter's seat. The risk while in the air would not be worth it if my daughter touched the sandwich. You sitting on the same plane as us and not right next to my daughter? Not a problem.

Again she is elderly, stubborn as an ox, and slightly senile, which make reasoning with her difficult. When she flies with me she will have peanut butter of some sort with her in case her blood sugar drops. There is no reasoning otherwise with her. Her blood sugar does have a tendency to drop frequently, even if she's eaten well and she has passed out numerous times. So if her sugar were to drop on a flight she would eat her peanut butter snack. In her mind she could not do without it, so if an announcement was mad after we had boarded she'd be in trouble.

When you fly with your mom, could YOU maybe bring along an alternate snack from the start (I get that she refuses to bring anything but peanut butter), so she will have something to eat if she does intend to abide by the request not to eat her peanut butter should it happen? If she would eat the peanut butter anyway even with the announcement there isn't an issue (at least as far as your mom getting her snack).

If she then refuses to eat it, well, can't do anything about that but at least she would HAVE an alternate, no matter when the announcement is made.

I remember a thread a long time ago on the cruise board, a mother with a child severely allergic to nuts, she was assured that her party would be taken care of on the ship and given their own table where nuts would be kept away from her child. This wasn't enough for her. She wanted her family to have the full cruise experience, so she was asking for opinions on what might happen if her family did not go the special accommodation route and was assigned at a table with another, unrelated family. She wanted this hypothetical family to agree to give up ordering any dish that contained nuts while they shared the table with her family. When some of the responders said they would ask to be moved to another table rather than comply with her request that they give up nut products for dinner for the duration of the cruise, she got angry. She accused the posters of not caring about her child and/or her child's disability. It wasn't even a situation where they said they'd order the nuts anyway; they just said they'd ask to sit at another table.

The poster had the option of getting a table that would be safe for her family, she just didn't want her family "isolated." But it was still up to her to be proactive, as it was her child who had the allergy, and not up to the people who would have been sitting with her. She either didn't get that or she really badly wanted to get around it.

I haven't read the whole thread, but did want to say that in my former job as a preschool director, I saw an allergic reaction to nuts first hand.
The child just picked up a toy that another child who had had peanut butter toast for breakfast touched. His face started swelling and he was wheezing. He had NEVER had that type of reaction to just touching something before.

So, you never know what can happen. Personally, if my child were that allergic, I would drive everywhere I went because I could control the situation and I could stop if I needed to.

and because I am a control freak.

I happen to have severe environmental allergies and asthma.
If I get anywhere NEAR Febreeze, it sets me into an attack.
I read threads on here all of the time about people taking those Glade plug ins and Febreeze for their resort room, even one woman talked about putting lavender oil on the matress and pillows.
People just have no idea if they don't live with allergies.

I have had an anaphlactic reaction to nuts, so I know a lot about this topic. I know personally, I get nervous when I see someone eating nuts close to me, because I know most people have poor hygeine habits and won't wash their hands after they eat. However, the big difference between the airline scenario is that if someone has a reaction on the ground it could be life threatening, but chances are an ambulance will be reasonably accessible. What some people don't understand is that when you have an allergic reaction, it isn't as simple as just using an epi-pen and all is great. You still need immediate medical attention and hours of medical monitoring. Essentially the epi-pen(s) just buy you time until you can get to a hospital or real medical care. However, in the air, even if an airplane has to make an emergency landing, by the time they get close enough to an airport, get clearance, land etc. it will most likely be too late.

So, if you bring peanut butter on an airplane, and someone has an allergy, even if they don't have a reaction, you will make them nervous and uncomfortable all flight worrying what if. What happens if you or your kids get peanut butter on their hands and then it gets on the seat etc and someone on the flight after you has a reaction? It really is inconsiderate and selfish, especially when so many alternatives around.

I also think it's only a matter of time before Disney stops selling PB and J sandwiches!!! ;)

What some people don't understand is that when you have an allergic reaction, it isn't as simple as just using an epi-pen and all is great. You still need immediate medical attention and hours of medical monitoring. Essentially the epi-pen(s) just buy you time until you can get to a hospital or real medical care.

This is so true. I'm sure people hear 'peanut allergy' and think "oh, for pete's sake, give the kid a benadryl and they're fine, stop being all dramatic about your kid getting a few hives."

I've had one anaphylactic reaction, after an allergy shot. My throat did swell, but it was caught very quickly and I was treated right in the allergists office, so I was very lucky in that I didn't have to go to the ER.

It's not just a matter of taking medication and then you're fine. I felt awful for a week. The side effects of the epinephrine and steroids they load you up with make you feel absolutely terrible. I was in bed for the first two days, utterly miserable. I never want to go through that again.

I've gotten a lot more respectful of other people's allergies after that experience. Going without a snack on a couple-hour airplane flight is nothing compared to what a child with a severe peanut allergy would go through. Not to mention that it's a ruined vacation. Had I gotten hit with that on the way to WDW, I would have spent the vacation in the hotel room. No way could I have done a theme park for days after that.

That's parents here.

This is a "revolves around me" world, and the bulk of travelers don't operate as you've described. Some people just don't care how their medical issues affest others.

Are you kidding me? I have a child with special needs, so I know what it's like to need to make special arrangements. Our lives REVOLVE around our kids' medical issues. Notifying the airline isn't about how their issues affect others, it's about making sure that kid is safe. If you don't inform the airline in advance it will not be possible for them to ensure that your medical needs are met. I don't know any parent who would risk that.

You are the one who has a "revolves around me" attitude. That kid might die, but it's okay as long as you get your peanut butter crackers, right?

Sure. For the same reason that you can't bring bottles of water or other liquids or gels in amounts that large through security.

That doesn't really explain the logic behind it, it just gives an example of something else that isnt allowed.

I'm sure if you had a tube of PB or a packet of jelly that were under 3 oz and packed in your one-quart ziplock bag, no one would bat an eye. But if you had a full jar of jelly and a full jar of PB ... well ... there's a lot that can be hidden in that, if you're inclinded to do so.

Now that explains a possibility, but if is to protect against being able to hide something inside of it, then it is totally different than bringing a full bottle of water through security. What can you hide inside a bottle of water that you can't hide in a PB&J sandwich?

And -- unrelated to the security thing -- why would you WANT to carry a full jar of PB and a full jar of jelly onto a plane? ....... And if you want to bring PB and jelly with you on the plane so that you can make your own sandwiches once you get to the resort, then I can't believe that the prices in Florida -- even at Disney -- are so much higher that it would be worth lugging the jars through airports rather than just buying them once you get to Florida.

:earsboy:

We always fly with food in our checked bags (and wine, beverages, etc) because we like certain brands of food, prefer buying local when we can and we know what we have when we leave, not deal with what we can get once we arrive. It also allows us to do less shopping once we arrive. If we could fly with certain things in our carry on, I would prefer to do so.

I undertand laws have to be drawn, it just seems silly that one guy can walk through security with a 6" meatball sub from subway (as long as he has it in a container), but I can't have a bottle of cologne or a jar of peanut butter.

Just curious, not a criticism of anyone's technique, but is there no other portable food that will deal with a blood sugar emergency aside from peanuts/peanut products/nuts?
There are. Many diabetics use that. It has the required protein and sugar. It is easy to buy, easy to carry and easy to eat. Doesn't taste bad, either. It isn't an emergency cure. But it is helpful.

People who want to avoid allergens can beg, plead, demand, shake their fists at the sky or bang their heads against the wall. It won't stop the world from moving along, as it always does.

It is stupid and dangerous to rely on other people to keep you or your child safe. This is something that must be done by you.

I never even considered that other people - the rest of the world - could be changed. I honestly don't know why anyone would. Of course it would be nice...but it won't happen. Attempting it a waste of time and energy. And, like I said, relying on it is stupid and dangerous.

The sooner people start relying on themselves to keep them and their kids safe, the better off we will all be.

Large containers of liquids and gels are banned because they can mask/hide/be filled with propellants and explosives. Hasn't anyone been following the news in the past 5 years?

A PP asked why people can't be slightly inconvenienced for the sake of others - blame the internet. One person will hear how peanuts were banned, another will ask for tree nuts to be banned, hey, my daughter is contact allergic to bubbles and apples, can we ban those too?

There are so many allergens, and so many activists out there now. There is no way to be "slightly" inconvenienced - everyone wants their needs met, and we all know our rights.

and because I am a control freak.

I happen to have severe environmental allergies and asthma.
If I get anywhere NEAR Febreeze, it sets me into an attack.
I read threads on here all of the time about people taking those Glade plug ins and Febreeze for their resort room, even one woman talked about putting lavender oil on the matress and pillows.
People just have no idea if they don't live with allergies.

You can add my hubby (and by marriage me) to the uber allergy club. Free and clear detergent, fabric softener, bleach alt, extra rinse, free soaps, etc. And because of his current regiment for Crohn's, hand sanitizer everywhere and wipes for seats to protect against germs.

Allergies like these are scary in person, seen it twice at different workplaces.

I've had one anaphylactic reaction, after an allergy shot. My throat did swell, but it was caught very quickly and I was treated right in the allergists office, so I was very lucky in that I didn't have to go to the ER.

Yikes!

I've had two mystery reactions to food, both times without ANY medication at all. Once was on my honeymoon; the Westin sent up some sort of dessert with congratulations, and I still don't know what caused the reaction, but it was scary. Just as we were about to call someone, it started to ease. It's happened one other time, but I had been diagnosed with asthma by then and had an inhaler, and it worked, even though I don't know why I had the reaction. So scary. Usually my allergies contain themselves to sneezing, and foods like dairy just "prime" me to more sneezing, but those were anomalies!

People who want to avoid allergens can beg, plead, demand, shake their fists at the sky or bang their heads against the wall. It won't stop the world from moving along, as it always does.

It is stupid and dangerous to rely on other people to keep you or your child safe. This is something that must be done by you.

I never even considered that other people - the rest of the world - could be changed. I honestly don't know why anyone would. Of course it would be nice...but it won't happen. Attempting it a waste of time and energy. And, like I said, relying on it is stupid and dangerous.

The sooner people start relying on themselves to keep them and their kids safe, the better off we will all be.

Well, I'm someone who changed their behavior based on information on a message board. I saw multiple discussions of peanut butter, and fear, and peanuts, and peanut dust, and I decided that my family would change what we bring on board. DH sometimes has problems with blood sugar, DS gets hungry FAST and can get headaches b/c of it, and we're vegetarian, so there's not a WHOLE lot we can do other than nut-based bars, etc, but we've changed.

And that's why I'm always first to respond with "it would be kind to come up with something else", because that's what I have done.

I know that not a lot of people on the dis find me to be *kind*, but my fellow passengers on airplanes, if they knew that my snacks that I bring for my family, or just the fact that we eat peanut stuff out at the gate, have changed, would consider me to be kind.

Well, I'm someone who changed their behavior based on information on a message board. I saw multiple discussions of peanut butter, and fear, and peanuts, and peanut dust, and I decided that my family would change what we bring on board. DH sometimes has problems with blood sugar, DS gets hungry FAST and can get headaches b/c of it, and we're vegetarian, so there's not a WHOLE lot we can do other than nut-based bars, etc, but we've changed.

And that's why I'm always first to respond with "it would be kind to come up with something else", because that's what I have done.

I know that not a lot of people on the dis find me to be *kind*, but my fellow passengers on airplanes, if they knew that my snacks that I bring for my family, or just the fact that we eat peanut stuff out at the gate, have changed, would consider me to be kind.
Keeping my son safe has nothing to do with whether or not a bunch of strangers would think you were kind, if only they could see inside your heart. I don't care about that. I care about my son.

Frankly, it doesn't matter if you change your eating habits or not. I can't trust you or anyone else to keep him safe. I go forth into the world assuming that danger is present and I take the necessary steps.

Trusting the rest of the world puts his life at risk and that isn't a gamble I'm prepared to take.

Eat your nuts, don't eat your nuts...doesn't matter a bit to me. I'm not counting on you.

I protect him no matter what.

There are many common myths about peanut allergy. Smelling peanuts is not thought to cause systemic reactions.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...jc5IkO&usg=AFQjCNGYRi7b0exfyv5PPvZINRf3P3ZPFg

That link does make a distinction between simply smelling peanuts and inhaling peanut dust. It does say that the risk of anaphylaxis from inhaling dust is small, but it doesn't say it's not possible. Why not err on the side of caution when you're 30,000 feet in the air in a completely airtight cylinder?

The doctor they interviewed stated that they did a study with highly allergic children and exposed them to peanut dust- there was not one systemic reaction. He also said that fears of peanut dust come not from scientific fact but from fear mongering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter