Anyone stockpiling food?

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
Just read about people beginning to hoard food in the event of the coronavirus shutting down the nation. My husband is a worrier, so I bought some extra water and canned goods just to appease him. The way we eat, it would only buy us an extra week, though. Anyone else stockpiling?

We always keep an extra week worth of non-perishable food around the house. In response to this COVID thing, and seeing the run on groceries in Italy, just yesterday I made an extra grocery trip, and purchased an extra few weeks of freezable food (enough meat for a few weeks of meals, frozen veggies, pasta, rice, etc..). The way I see it- if COVID starts to spread, and people start clearing out grocery stores like in Italy, we'll have a few weeks worth of extra food so we wont have to worry about it too much. If it is all a big nothing-burger, once everything blows over, I wont have to buy frozen veggies, pasta, chicken, or stew beef for a while, and we'll just eat it as we normally would.

The only thing I am going to do is buy my hurricane supplies in the next couple weeks instead of waiting a couple months. It’s something I would be doing anyway and it’s stuff that won’t go bad, so why not. A minimum of 14 days supply is recommended for hurricane supplies, so a very similar period of time to possibly need to cover.

The only thing I am going to do is buy my hurricane supplies in the next couple weeks instead of waiting a couple months. It’s something I would be doing anyway and it’s stuff that won’t go bad, so why not. A minimum of 14 days supply is recommended for hurricane supplies, so a very similar period of time to possibly need to cover.

Yep I’m in that process now. Ever since I started preparing before hurricane season we haven’t had a storm. I’m going to go ahead and keep up my prepping.

And put it where lol

I guess it depends on what you are buying. Most of what I buy for hurricane supplies is in cans or jars, so it can be stored anywhere in the house. If people are buying perishables, that could be a storage issue if you don’t have a second fridge or large freezer.

I looked yesterday and we have at least 14 days worth of food (including ramen, pasta, fig newtons...), plus all our freezer leftovers (about 10 dinners).
I did buy a can of Spam though! Never tried it so thought, why not?

Honestly we will probably buy some extra cat food, wine, coffee and toilet paper if it seems we may be stuck inside for a while.

Not any more than usual. There's probably enough dry pasta and canned tomatoes/sauce in the basement to last us a month, but that's nothing new.

That's our normal shopping. It's on sale, get extra. Aside from fresh milk , eggs, fresh veggies, we could live a month easy. A meal might be weird combinations, but we wouldn't be hungry. We'd run out of bread but we have frozen dough .

I did make an extra purchase today. I bought a box of shelf stable coffee creamer. I don't drink black coffee. But if we happen to run out of milk in two days, I'm not going to say....don't touch that creamer, it's only for an emergency.

I guess it depends on what you are buying. Most of what I buy for hurricane supplies is in cans or jars, so it can be stored anywhere in the house. If people are buying perishables, that could be a storage issue if you don’t have a second fridge or large freezer.

I live in an apartment, I could probably buy a few bags of things and leave them out in the open but I don't have storage space for much (my roommate and I split a cabinet for nonperishables) and there is limited closet space. But you do what you gotta, I guess, just doesn't make sense to do it now and turn my bedroom into a pantry.

I purchased bread, frozen juice and more vegetables than normal for the freezer. The bread and juice is out of my norm and the asparagus is a fluke that happened to be on sale. Also bought a bag of powdered milk just in case. Otherwise, my food purchasing follows my normal pattern.

I do think the upside to living in a city is that we have a LOT of places to buy things. Not necessarily the best prices, but it's not an entire town going to three supermarkets. There's bodegas, Duane Reade/CVS, various forms of speciality markets, etc. If we find out we need it, it will be crazy, but there are a good number of options.

I remember before one of the blizzards, a nearby market was near sold out of meat and the checkout line was out the door, but... that's a Trader Joe's on a weekend, so. Heh.

I live in an apartment, I could probably buy a few bags of things and leave them out in the open but I don't have storage space for much (my roommate and I split a cabinet for nonperishables) and there is limited closet space. But you do what you gotta, I guess, just doesn't make sense to do it now and turn my bedroom into a pantry.
In your case, I would probably put non perishables under the bed if I was doing hurricane prep. Cans fit really well there. That’s what some of my coworkers do. We are pretty used to doing it every year, but not everyone is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!