Anyone moved from Midwest to Florida??

Slightly Goofy, With your happy and positive attitude I know you will love it here! Good luck to you and enjoy every minute! :goodvibes

happygirl, as usual Ang knows her stuff.:) 60 Minutes did a story a bit ago about all the homeless unemployed right outside the gates of Disney. With the economy being down the tourist places have cut staff and folks do not have the money to eat out much so those jobs are down as well. Tips are not what they might be either.

Traveliz, with my luck if I had bought a foreclosure the original family would have shown up after I moved in and I would have had to invite them to move in with me. :grouphug: The person who owned this before me moved to fancier digs right behind here. The person who bought our old home had grown up in it and dearly loves the place. I am blessed.:cloud9:

Hi there Ang, hope you are keeping warm. I know where you could get away for a bit.:love:

SG/Linda

Hi my favorite Dis friend. I would love nothing more than to come visit you but with a family sadly I have to pass. Thanks for the offer though I would love to visit with you yet again it has been too long.

With your luck the origninal family would want to move into your carport. lol

In case you are looking Disney actually put out a whole bunch of job openings recently. I bet none pay over $10 an hour however and most are part time and you need to have flexible hours. :thumbsup2

Interesting.

My car insurance *dropped* when I moved to Florida. My homeowners' insurance is less, too, and our house is worth about $100k more than the one I used to own back north.

Tack on being able to see the MK fireworks from our front yard and it's great living here in FL! :)

JDUCKY, I think the differences in our experiences is because I moved from a cheap living place and bet you did not. That is why researching is so very important when making big changes. Glad you are enjoying it as much as I am!:) BTW, enjoy those fireworks!!

Ang, you are gonna make all your other DIS friend envious ya know. :banana:Another good thing about a Disney job is that even at part time you get health benefits. The CM at the food court was telling me that is why she works there. You know you are a frequent visitor when such a person knows you by name.:dance3: Find a cheap flight and come on down for a few days to check things out. You know you wanna.:flower3:

DisneygirlTeacher, thank you for those sweet, and so wrong, assumptions. I am ornery, sarcastic and downright difficult. :rolleyes1 BTW, Ang is wrong, the old owners would probably be living in the condo while I slept in the carport, especially if they have children. This has been a life changing experience for me and thanks to my research and hard thinking it has been everything I had expected. Now to make some friends. :cheer2:

SG/Linda

I have found that it is cheaper to eat out here than to cook, especially if there are just two of you. For around $7, or even less, there are a plethora of places that will give you soup or salad, entree, potato, veggie, bread and butter and dessert, and even a few throw in a drink. I tend to tip a bit more here because the service is generally wonderful and the COL is higher and I want to sleep well at night. Publix has the best quality, at a high price, Albertson's has good prices and lower quality and then there is always WM. All three are within about a mile of me too. This country gal has gone city!:worship:

SG/Linda

JDUCKY, I am not so sure about that as I got two things in Kentucky (dd and ds) that have been mighty expensive through the years. :rotfl2: We had only paid less than $400 a year for property taxes where we lived and the house was so good, in spite of being huge, that the utility bills were very reasonable. Having moved from there to here, AND a much smaller and well laid out place, our property taxes are half as are our utility bills and there is no state income tax. I figure that balances out the fact that our car and home insurance doubled. I had to get them quickly and did not have time to shop around so that might change. What part of Ky did you move from (we lived just to the north of you) and what part of FL did you move to? We are Tampa Bay.

SG/Linda

JDUCKY, I am not so sure about that as I got two things in Kentucky (dd and ds) that have been mighty expensive through the years. :rotfl2: We had only paid less than $400 a year for property taxes where we lived and the house was so good, in spite of being huge, that the utility bills were very reasonable. Having moved from there to here, AND a much smaller and well laid out place, our property taxes are half as are our utility bills and there is no state income tax. I figure that balances out the fact that our car and home insurance doubled. I had to get them quickly and did not have time to shop around so that might change. What part of Ky did you move from (we lived just to the north of you) and what part of FL did you move to? We are Tampa Bay.

SG/Linda

ha! :)

Lived right outside Louisville and now am in Winter Garden

Property taxes are a bit higher (but the house is worth considerably more than what I had before) Seems electricity is a bit more, too, and I do miss Kroger, that's for sure! Super Target is our preferred grocery store (along with the Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's). Publix is more expensive on almost everything and there isn't an Albertson's nearby.

Gas is actually cheaper down here. And, as you mentioned, no state income tax (automatic 8-10% raise! :) )

And add in the tons more sunshine and lack of snow and it's WELL worth the move! :)

JDUCKY, we lived outside Louisville too, over the bridge on the IN side. ;) The change in our lifestyle would have made it worth more even if it had been more expensive.

The HOA fees were the hardest thing to get adjusted to but most of the items that it covers are work that I used to have to do and between what we sold for and what it cost to buy (downsized) the difference will pay those fees for as long as we are apt to live. :hippie:

I miss Kroger too as there were some things (cheese) that you just cannot get down here. I am boycotting Super Target since I found out that you get a 5% discount for using their credit card and thus those who do not have the card are paying 5% more. The K Marts are better down here than they were back in IN. It is an adventure and if you are flexible it can be a fun one. I learn a bit more each and every day and I am amazed that despite this being an urban area it has not been that hard for me to find my way around and the winter traffic has not been anything like I feared. So what if gas mileage is half if you are only having to drive an average of 5 miles per day to do what you want?:rotfl:

I also do not mind needing to ablo espanol a bit either. I like the diversity. If all I interact with is folks who look and think like me I might well die of boredom instead of old age.:flower3:

Have a great day folks, I am off to play some cornhole, they call it a fancier name here but it is the same game. :rotfl2:

SG/Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter