Anyone have two male dogs?

lol I hope I have room too :rotfl:My children are leaving the nest one by one to go away to college so that will free up some space :rotfl2:

Home visit went great. The volunteer that came to our home has two male dogs and hearing her talk made me feel so much better. Thank you everyone for sharing your personal experiences with me. I will post pictures after we go to see the pups.

OMG We went to meet the 4 pups that are left...:love: We left undecided but will call the foster family tomorrow to give our decision. It was extremely difficult because all four are soooo adorable!

No they haven't. Still waiting on our home visit. We haven't even seen the dogs in person, only though the pics on the rescue's facebook page
I would definitely want to see if it was a good match, personality wise. It's good to let them meet at a neutral location, then go inside and let them spend some time together.

A couple of years ago we were looking to adopt a young, small dog. We did the above, then spent quite a while in the room inside. My German Shepherd was so gentle she got rave reviews from the shelter staff. So all set, about to start the process of going home. I had new dog in my lap, and when my German Shepherd came over to me, new dog bit her twice in the face without provocation. New dog was what they call "lap aggressive". Shelter manager felt it wouldn't be fair to my older dog to have to live with that, and so did I, but it was kind of sad having to leave new dog there as she otherwise seemed totally sweet and we had fallen in love with her that afternoon. Shelter manager said to the dog, "This is the second family you've scared away now, yesterday you were mean to the other family's dog". Shelter manager also told me I had the nicest GSD she'd ever met - my dog didn't even bite back or get upset. (Ironically enough, since she could sometimes be reactive to other dogs. She seemed to like this dog a lot. Go figure.)

Later, we tried again at a different shelter's adoption day. Again, dogs got along well. We asked personnel if the dog was lap aggressive. Staff said no, dog wasn't. A few minutes later, a woman who'd overheard pulled my DH aside, said she was the dog's foster mom, and said that yes, the dog could be lap aggressive. DH thanked her for sharing, and we left, scratching our heads why they would not be forthcoming with such information. Idk.

Anyway, I think you have to see for yourself AND give it some time. If it turns out to be not a goood fit for whatever reason, they tell you to let them know, and generally they'd want the dog back so it could find a family that's a better fit. (Can't speak for all shelters, but this is what we were told by all that we dealt with.)

Good luck. The dogs are adorable. I doubt you'll have much problem, but you never know. Dogs can be funny sometimes in their personalities. They have an inner radar that we don't fully understand (IMO) that tells them they either like another dog, or they don't. When it's a don't, it can be difficult to deal with.

And just because my post made me think of it, a word of advice for small dog owners. Don't "overhandle" them. They can get annoyed being picked up all the time. And sometimes people inadvertently hurt them - hair is pulled, leg is bent, etc. This causes them to not like to be held, and sometimes nippy. They should also not learn to be lap aggressive, ie they think they have a right to not let someone or something come near the person holding them, and will back up their thoughts with a bite. Not good. Let a dog be a dog, regardless of its size. Put it down. Train it. Make it learn to behave like a dog. Would you let a huge dog sit on your lap and bite people? I doubt it. A little dog shouldn't be allowed to do it, either.
Rant over.

Only once, never again

they were fine until the older one started aging significantly. they had a few no-holds bared knockdowns between themselves then the power shifted. The younger became alpha.

it was scary while it was occurring and nothing we could do.

so now we will have a male and a female and good to go

our current 2 are litter mates. (and our 5th and 6th dogs :))

I have two males. One older, one younger. The older one is a small dog but can be a bit aggressive to some other dogs and I guess would be the alpa of the 3 dogs we have. The younger one is a large dog that is just full of energy and loves to play. They got into a fight once. We got the younger one fixed and haven't had a problem since. He still wants to play and will stand over the smaller dog trying to get him to play but when Zack growls a little, he just bounds off to find something else to do.

We adopted Jack:) So far so good! Jack was afraid of Zeus for maybe one day because Zeus was a little too rough trying to play. Now Jack is a lunatic!! They rough house BIG time but already love each other!!

No..we don't do male dogs at all. I also prefer female cats. They aren't as "messy" in my opinion or experience.

I've been trying to post pictures for the last week and it won't let me:( it says the upload file is too large for the server to process

We used to have 2 male dogs and I'll never do it again. Honestly, I'm always going to lean towards female dogs even if it's just one now. Our 2 male dogs would try to marks its territory (a.k.a. my house) all the time. It was like they were trying to top each other. They were both completely house-trained and before we got the 2nd, our first never really had any issues with having "accidents," but as soon as the 2nd one came around (who was already house-trained) they would walk by something, pee on it, and then the other would go right to that spot and do the same. We also had a few issues with them not really getting along to the point that we ended up giving one of them away to a friend. We have 1 female dog now and don't have any "accident" issues.
Me too (never have another male dog) for same reason. So just one girl dog at a time for me after the old cairn, 10.5 now, crosses the rainbow bridge.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!