Anyone have elevator problems during your stay?

linco711

DIS Veteran
We were there for the first time in October and had several scary incidents with the elevators. Once as we were waiting to get an elevator a couple came off with a hysterical women saying the lights went out, and then theyvwent into a free fall. We called and reported. Managers came and seemed disbelieving but said they would check into it. We were on the 8th floor. We are seniors and couldn’t do the steps so they took us down in the freight elevators that the staff uses. Upon return it looked like all were being used and working. Our daughter who lives on Oahu came to visit the next day. She came into the room crying and very upset. She was in the elevator alone when it went into a free fall. She said she knew to just get on the floor and prepare for a crash, but thank heavens it stopped itself. We were very upset and reported again. They sent other managers to our room and it was like they had never heard the story from the night before. They sent us fruit a fruit tray and we’re very sorry it happened. I was astonished about how lightly they took these incidents. Hopefully they took it seriously and comple looked at all the elevators...Just wondering if it’s still happening. I’m thankful no one got hurt.

That is so scary! I will be there in mid-January 2020. I hope the elevators don’t do that when I’m there. Sorry you had a scary experience.

Was it the same elevator? We’ve been to Aulani from memory 4 times staying in both wings however we’ve never had an issue with the lifts.

We were there in October too, but thankfully there were no issues. If you’re concerned, perhaps you could email them to ask if they found the cause of the problem. Even if you don’t get a helpful response at least you know that there is now a record of the problem.

Once I was at BLT and an elevator acted weird. Not quite as scary as your story though. I forget if I was going up or down but it was only a floor or two, but the elevator did something like go up to 8 floor, then 12, then 16, down to 10 , pause, move again at a fast (not free fall) I touched nothing. I told the front desk and they looked at me, like I must have being dreaming.

Was it the same elevator? We’ve been to Aulani from memory 4 times staying in both wings however we’ve never had an issue with the lifts.
No, there were several. That was the problem. They kept wanting us to point out which elevator. Then they would only check that one, and if it didn’t happen at the time they checked it, they thought all was ok. we were there 10 days. it occurred near the end of our stay. When we checked out I insisted on talking with a manager and told them they needed to check all the elevator. There was definitely a problem that they weren’t finding since it had happened several times in different elevators to different guests.

We were there in October too, but thankfully there were no issues. If you’re concerned, perhaps you could email them to ask if they found the cause of the problem. Even if you don’t get a helpful response at least you know that there is now a record of the problem.
I’ve done that, and complained loudly in front of a lobby full of guests. I was very frustrated by that time and felt like they weren’t listening. They wanted to keep it all quiet which was fine until it kept happening.

Which tower? We just got home from Aulani, and stayed in EWA tower and the elevators seemed to work fine in that side.

Great3

We've been to Aulani 5 times now, always on an upper floor, and never had a problem with the elevators.

Great to hear! It was ewe..

Okay. Well, I truly hoped they did fixed whatever problem was reported (instead of problem being there still waiting to happen). Although my family and I didn't experience any problem, it's still an un-settling feeling if you reported a problem and they didn't really do anything to figure out what the problem is. Let's just hope they actually did something and fixed something.

Great3

This is one of my biggest fears in life. It is why I won't stay on anything much past the 5th floor in hotels. The only exception I do make is when I cruise.

Hopefully, the problem has been fixed. I was there Christmas week, and while I didn’t have any problems, they did appear to be working on two of the Ewa tower elevators one day. Everyone was being directed to the service elevators which were being run by a CM. When I came back down a couple of hours later, the elevators were running normally.

Someone on another site left a review on Dec 26th complaining about issues with the elevators.

Excerpt: "Yesterday (Christmas morning at 8:30), only one of six elevators in our tower was working. It took us 32 minutes to descent to the lobby level. According to an Aulani uniformed man, the elevators stopped working around 6am and we should be thankful that they got one to work. Unbelievable! (C.f., limited mobility issue above.)"

So, it looks they're still having issues. :sad1:

Getting stuck on a elevator is a huge fear of mine as I suffer from Claustrophobia, if I keep hearing about elevator issues and negative reviews that might be reason for me to pick a new vacation destination for April. Aulani is too expensive for issues like this.

If the elevator actually went into free fall, that would indicate that ALL the cables had been severed AND the safeties had not activated. In that case, you would be picked up out of the elevator pit and would not be writing misinformation about an elevator falling.

I am not suggesting that something odd did not happen. I am saying that in no way, shape, or form did the elevator “free fall”.

If the elevator actually went into free fall, that would indicate that ALL the cables had been severed AND the safeties had not activated. In that case, you would be picked up out of the elevator pit and would not be writing misinformation about an elevator falling.

I am not suggesting that something odd did not happen. I am saying that in no way, shape, or form did the elevator “free fall”.

While this is true, I say give the OP a break. No matter what the actual problem is (real / perceived), no body wants to be in an elevator that is not functioning 100% perfectly as expected. I am sure OP have genuine concern for others and is concerned about the response received. Granted, they probably worked hard on all the elevator problems / issues reported, we just can’t see it happening, and I am sure DVC doesn’t want to detail out everything they are trying. At least I would like to believe they are.

Great3

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter