• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone have a home security system? Care to share some thoughts?

I guess I don't understand what is the point of these systems? To stop someone from breaking in? Wouldn't more secure locks do a better job of that?

I agree. Alarm systems are mostly a deterrent to amateur burglars who probably pick random targets and would likely get frightened off by the sound of an alarm. Particularly if you are gone on vacation, good to know some loud alarm sound will scare off the amateurs. Also depends on what you are trying to protect and need a system that meets those requirements. Apparently amateurs can also be discouraged by having those security signs in your yard or on windows. Alarm systems by themselves don't actually prevent someone from gaining access to your property, it is more about peace of mind. Protecting valuables from pros is a bigger deal, but likely you would want the alarm company experts to advise you on what they recommend. Home alarms are not a one size fits all solution.

Some other common sense things you can do when away on vacation is stop the newspaper delivery (so they don't pile up in the driveway signaling an empty house) and have lights on timers to make the house appear occupied. People often leave windows unlocked that provide an easy access for even the amateurs. First floor windows should always be locked at night or anytime you will be gone on vacation. There are obvious things such as that anyone can do with/without an alarm system to reduce the risk of bugulary.

My monitoring system calls me first, then calls police or fire if I tell them to. That's just a sensible approach because we have a lot of electrical storm-caused glitches where the alarm goes off, resets, and is perfectly fine. We don't have all the interior cameras like some do, but we do have interior motion sensors, so we'd know if someone was inside.

And when you call police and you are not in the home the response is not prioritized. They might show up in a hour or two. Here 911 just will send you to a link to file an online police report. They will not dispatch an officer.

I assume the mobile stuff in ADT is run by a different company and SimpliSafe seems on par, I'm just not sure about reliability - this is the only reason I didn't buy yet.

SimpliSafe automatically tries to contact using your WiFi. If WiFi is down then it will use cellular. It has always worked when I tested the cellular option. The $25 includes video monitoring (I have a wired front door and a wireless camera elsewhere) and I do allow them to access it for alarm verification. I also have monitored smoke detectors and a monitored water detector with my water heater.

As I said before, I think it’s mostly a deterrent but video monitoring that can verify an event will get a real response and fire alarms are generally responded to instantly nationwide. Actually with fire, I think all monitoring companies only contact the primary number and then after that call the fire department as opposed to intrusion alerts they attempt primary and secondary numbers before calling the police.

I'm not so worried about theft. Our house is decorated in "early thrift shop" design. More concerned of emergencies like fire. So if some one breaks in , disappointed in the cheap stuff we have and decides to make a steak they found in the freeze and then leaves the stove on........

If I tell my home monitoring system to contact the police or fire, they are called after me. We frequently see issues brought on by electrical storms, where the alarm sounds, resets and works just fine. While we don't have as many internal cameras as some do, we do have internal motion sensors, allowing us to detect the presence of people.

I guess I don't understand what is the point of these systems? To stop someone from breaking in? Wouldn't more secure locks do a better job of that?
I'm with you. I'd rather put my money and efforts into things that prevent the burglar from breaking in -- as you said: stronger locks, montion-sensored lights, and a dog who barks like crazy when someone comes to the door.

I use a local vendor that packages alarm.com stuff. It is OK. The cameras were terrible and I tried a few kinds. If I were doing it now, I would do all Ring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter