Anyone going Geocaching this weekend? **NEW CACHERS...POP IN!**

Boo!

I found a cache today and inside was a letter telling me what I had to do to get into heaven. :sad2:

Boo! Hiss! Boo!

Did it tell you to make 10 copies and put them in other caches?:)

I rarely look at cache contents other than trackables. I don't need more 'stuff'. I use caches as a way to get rid of clutter!:laughing:

I rarely look at cache contents other than trackables. I don't need more 'stuff'. I use caches as a way to get rid of clutter!:laughing:

I'm new. I have only 3 finds. And mostly I take my kids, but not today. I have yet to find a trackable.

I'm new. I have only 3 finds. And mostly I take my kids, but not today. I have yet to find a trackable.

Welcome to the game.:thumbsup2

Once you encounter poison ivy, bees, bugs, waterlogged containers, and nano sized hides, religious cards will seem tame.;):)

So I discovered Caching yesterday will out for a day trip with a friend. She has been doing it for a couple of months and I am going to introduce it to my kids today! We found some extremly small ones yesterday, and a few lock and seal boxes. It was a blast. so in between shopping in the city we would find a area and stop, and on the 2 hr drive home quickly turned into a 4 hr drive! OPPS maybe we should have not been hunting!

Oh well it was a great time and can`t wait to do my own now I have a login!

WOW! It has been a long time since I posted on the Disboards! Too busy working, caching, and facebooking! So glad others are joining our fun game. :thumbsup2 Welcome Monkey 30!!! Anybody willing to share their caching names? JonesCrew here:goodvibes Do any of you go to events?

We went to our areas Summer geocaching picnic yesterday and had a great time, but it was too hot to do much caching. We did manage to grab 10 so that put us at 1,500 finds :cool1: We are starting to plan a halloween themed fall picnic for 2012....yeah, got a while. My town has become VERY pro caching and is asking us to put out a bunch of caches. So we have lots of urban caches to place. We have hid a few good ones, and we now sort of feel pressure to keep the hides the quality folks have grown to expect. Two of our favorite hides are: GC1Q0RP & GC1Q0TP

We went to Panama Central America last summer and we placed a cache at the home where my Mother grew up. I think that has to be my favorite.

:wave2:

Hi, Geocachers! And welcome to all the new Geocachers! Are you addicted yet? :teeth:

We still haven't been out caching. I'm afraid I'm going to head out without darling son being he's at the wonderful teenage years and has lost interest. I guess I have had him go on enough walks in the woods. :laughing: I'm still stuck at 1,899 finds. LOL. You would think I'd be really excited to find the next one! We've been to the Baltimore area, Centerville, VA area, NC, and I still haven't been motivated to get #1,900. Hmmmm. I need a jump start.

It's now about 4 1/2 weeks since I broke and fractured my left foot. How? I would like to say that I was diving off a yacht and hit my foot on the railing. But actually, I think the local squirrels must have thrown that cluster of little acorns onto the path at home. While taking the garbage to the street in the darkness of early morning hours, I slipped on them. OUCH! Just got rid of the crutches last week. Still in the boot another week and a half. I'm hoping I'm back to a shoe at that point!

Mike...Congratulations on the new darling granddaughter! :love: And Bunsen...you have me rolling on the floor with your posts. :rotfl2: Hope everyone is having a blast caching!

:magnify:

Mike...Congratulations to your son also! I bet he's enjoying every single minute!!

I spoke with my sister on the phone the other day. She was saying that her son (who is a Coastie) recently went Geocaching with some of the other guys when they were off the boat. So he found his first geocache in another country! LOL! :banana: :banana: :banana: But I don't know how he liked it. :confused3

P W,

If I had 1899 finds and a bum foot, I'd have some one drive me to the nearest lamp post cache and get it over with. Maybe one of your caching buddies can place one at the end of your driveway (difficulty 3 due to acorns). 1900 and a FTF!:laughing:

I recently hit 500 finds and can't imagine ever reaching your lofty #. Heal soon and get out there.

So my daughter (7) and I went out on our very first geocaching expedition today and managed to find ZERO! We took a bike ride through our development and had mapped out 7 caches along the way. I just don't know what we were doing wrong. I have an iPhone 3G and I downloaded the geocache app plus another compass. With the app, I would follow the direction of the red arrow and it would bring me close (sometimes with a few feet), so we would search the immediate area and then when I looked again, it would say it was located 20 feet in another direction. Then I'd go in that direction so we covered a sizable area, but still found nothing. Is that just the "margin of error" for these type things? I felt like I was walking in circles.

My daughter was literally in tears on the ride back home. :( We biked for miles, climbed through brush and vines, walked through water - I honestly tried, but I just felt like we were missing something!

We aren't ready to give up, and we would really like to try again, but I know we can't just do the same things we did today. Obviously that didn't work, so we need a new approach or soemthing. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

HLAuburn,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating outing.

I don't know the accuracy of GPS on an iPhone, but a dedicated receiver (Garmin, etc.) can be within feet or tens of feet depending on terrain, trees, power lines, etc. Don't let the arrow misguide you. Pay more attention to the distance number.

What were the difficulty ratings and sizes of the caches you sought? Concentrate on difficulty/terrain ratings of 2 or less, and sizes no smaller than "small". Specifically look for a <2, regular size to get the hang of the process. It will take a dozen or so finds to start to develop a "cacher's eye".

Don't give up! It's a family/pet friendly hobby that's lots of (frustrating) fun!

That's a good idea, Bunsen! LOL! :rotfl2:

Hope you and the kids are still having a blast, Monkey30. Now I need to find additional addicts as my son has "grown out" of doing anything with Mom. LOL!:lmao: Caching is the last thing on his mind at this age. It is a ton of fun with the kids!

So I discovered Caching yesterday will out for a day trip with a friend. She has been doing it for a couple of months and I am going to introduce it to my kids today! We found some extremly small ones yesterday, and a few lock and seal boxes. It was a blast. so in between shopping in the city we would find a area and stop, and on the 2 hr drive home quickly turned into a 4 hr drive! OPPS maybe we should have not been hunting!

Oh well it was a great time and can`t wait to do my own now I have a login!

Oops! I'm a bit behind since its been over a year since I visited the DIS boards. :confused3 Time flies!

I'm STILL at 1899. ROFL! :rotfl2: These markers used to be a big thing for me. I don't know what it is. I think I must be turning into an urban cacher at the least. The appeal of the stifling heat in the woods during summer, the snakes and ticks has fallen away. LOL. :rotfl:

PS...The foot is great. Congratulations on 500!!!!!

P W,

If I had 1899 finds and a bum foot, I'd have some one drive me to the nearest lamp post cache and get it over with. Maybe one of your caching buddies can place one at the end of your driveway (difficulty 3 due to acorns). 1900 and a FTF!:laughing:

I recently hit 500 finds and can't imagine ever reaching your lofty #. Heal soon and get out there.

HLAuburn...Sorry it was a not-so-fun first outing. The first thing that popped in my mind was someone telling me that the gps on a phone probably isn't as accurate as a separate gps unit. I've also had others tell me to set the gps down on a log and let it settle a few minutes. I agree with Bunsen. So many things factor in like he said. And include any clouds overhead. I know people told me to start with the larger caches. Small could even include nanos unless they've changed the different sizes listed on geocaching.com. (I haven't been over there either!) :lmao:

Hope you found something and are having a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter