• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone get the IPad2? Your thoughts?

mtquinn

DIS Veteran
I am still flip-flopping as to which Ipad to surprise my DH with for his 40th birthday in July. Old one or new one? 16 gigs or 32?

If you bought the new version, how do you like it? How many gigs did you get? Is the new processor really that fast? I want to know, on either model, if 16 gb will be sufficient for our uses. Mainly, we will use it as a reader (newspapers), games, and MOVIES. I capped that because I know movies take up lots of room.

How many 1.5-2 hour movies can a 16 gig IPad store? Would it be a pain in the tush? Is 32 gb a more sound choice?

Ultimately, I think the choice is between a first gen refurbed 16 gb or a new 16 gb. Help!

I got one. 64GB - Black - AT&T. So far I'm enjoying it but I haven't put it through everything enough yet to be able to answer all of your questions. I'm traveling in April and May for work and will see how it really performs then. I will only be taking my iPad and iPhone and will be leaving the laptop at home. However, I did install a remote desktop app on my iPad so I can access my full computer remotely while I am traveling.

I would go with the new and not the refurbished. No sense in buying outdated technology. If you are using it mainly for movies I would definitely do the 32 and if you can swing it the 64.

The new one will be outdated soon enough [rumors are flying about another one in fall].

So if money is issue and he doesn't need the camera, go with the 1.0. It's still cool and it's now discounted so you could get more memory, etc. I have had great experience with refurbished shuffles, etc.

If money not an issue, get the 2.0

I got one! :cheer2: I got the 32GB, 3G AT&T in white! I love it!:banana: It is amazing! I would not go with outdated technology if I had a choice!

I don't have an ipad, but I have an ipod touch and can tell you to buy as much storage as you can spare. I was amazed at how little it takes to fill up my ipod. I'll go with the largest available on all future ipad, iphone, ipod purchases.

His birthday isn't until July? Then wait until July to buy it. By that time, there should be refurb generation 2's available. Besides, you don't want it sitting around unopened while your 1 year warranty ticks away.

If you plan on loading movies, go with the 32 or 64 GB model.

I can't answer about the iPad2 question since I am going to stick with my iPad1. However the memory one I can answer. I posted on another thread about this last night so I will just copy what I wrote on that thread.

I try to go with the biggest I can afford when it comes to memory and my electronics so I went ahead and got the 64gb model.

At this point I have used about half of my memory. I have 23 movies, 1 one hour tv show, about 450 songs and about 20 apps/games.

However you can easily move things on and off the ipad through iTunes, so if you run out of room just take things you don't use off. You can always put them back on later if needed.

I am still flip-flopping as to which Ipad to surprise my DH with for his 40th birthday in July. Old one or new one? 16 gigs or 32?

If you bought the new version, how do you like it? How many gigs did you get? Is the new processor really that fast? I want to know, on either model, if 16 gb will be sufficient for our uses. Mainly, we will use it as a reader (newspapers), games, and MOVIES. I capped that because I know movies take up lots of room.

How many 1.5-2 hour movies can a 16 gig IPad store? Would it be a pain in the tush? Is 32 gb a more sound choice?

Ultimately, I think the choice is between a first gen refurbed 16 gb or a new 16 gb. Help!

My husband told me today that there is an App that lets you remotely access movies on your home computer. So you don't need to load them on the iPad. Just have them on your at home computer and then access them.

My husband told me today that there is an App that lets you remotely access movies on your home computer. So you don't need to load them on the iPad. Just have them on your at home computer and then access them.

Really? That's cool. I think I will go for the refurbed, or new, older Ipad. I just don't think he really cares about the camera.

Good point in an earlier post about getting one now and the warranty ticking away while it sits in my closet. I didn't even think about that. I was just paranoid that if I waited there would not be any left by July. Silly, I know.

The average movie will probably run 1GB-4GB depending on the video quality. As MrsJackSparrow4Life said, it's easy to keep all the movies on your computer and just move the ones you want to your iPad. But if you're going to load it up with more than 4-5 movies at a time, get at least a 32GB model.

Another option is to stream movies using Netflix or Hulu Plus. You can get unlimited streaming for around $8 a month. And you can also use it at home on your computer or TV. There's a lot of great movies to watch. That way, your hard drive isn't full of huge video files. Of course, this is only good when connected to Wi-Fi. It'll quickly eat up your 3G bandwidth.

Really? That's cool. I think I will go for the refurbed, or new, older Ipad. I just don't think he really cares about the camera.

Good point in an earlier post about getting one now and the warranty ticking away while it sits in my closet. I didn't even think about that. I was just paranoid that if I waited there would not be any left by July. Silly, I know.

He said the App was around $2. I'm surprising him with an iPad 2 for his birthday so I was happy to hear about the App. He travels a lot for work and having access to several movies will be nice but also saving by getting a smaller hard drive will be nice.

Last year, lots of people were predicting iPad 2 would be out in time for Xmas 2010. Do a google search for "iPad 2 Christmas". Apple usually only releases a product upgrade once a year. I don't expect iPad 3 until early 2012.

Keep in mind this is only practical when using a WiFi connection. Streaming videos using 3G will cost a lot of money. And you'll probably need a fast WiFi connection. A slow connection could mean a lot of buffering or stuttering.

I already have Netflix, which is an excellent service. LOVE it. And, yes, it is a terrific alternative to keeping movies on the Ipad. Good point.

No 3G for me, or DH. We have IPhones and pay a lot for the data plan. We do all of our surfing on those, so we, or HE, would only need a wi-fi model.

you don't need an app for streaming movies from your computer to you iPad. Apple has include this feature with itunes and the iPad its called home-sharing.
Prior to this latest release of 4.3 ios an app was required but not anymore... just make sure you have the lastest itunes and the last version on your ipad or ipad 2 and you can stream your itunes movies

you don't need an app for streaming movies from your computer to you iPad. Apple has include this feature with itunes and the iPad its called home-sharing.
Prior to this latest release of 4.3 ios an app was required but not anymore... just make sure you have the lastest itunes and the last version on your ipad or ipad 2 and you can stream your itunes movies

You have to buy or rent those from iTunes, right?

I'm getting my husband the WiFi model since he usually travels to hotels with WiFi access or to areas with it. Then he can load movies that we already own on to one of our back-up hard drives before he goes and watch them while on the road. Or load 1 or 2 for his flight. No 3G since we don't want to pay for a data plan (I don't even have one on my cell phone now!)

I am also checking out ebay for gently used Ipads. I figure if what I am getting is a refurb from Apple, what is the difference. I would only by off ebay if it is an established seller with a good rating,, and the IPad came with extras, like covers, keyboard, etc.

So far the deals there are not much better than going with Apple, but some came close. I almost got a 32gb Ipad (NOT the IPad2) for under $400 WITH a year of Apple care. I won't go over $400 for it, so I backed out of the bidding. Oh well.

I walked by the apple store yesterday, the line was out the door!! I want a new dslr camera for my vacations this year so no ipad for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter