Anyone get a stimulus check already? Curious.

That is because of tax laws.

Y'all are really mad over the wrong thing. It's not the stimulus that is the problem. It's how the government spends money and in your point above it's how tax write offs allow some people a means to show much less tax liability than they should have. But y'all keep complaining about the stimulus instead of the actual root causes for your complaint....
Well b/c that doesn’t usually align with that side’s agenda is all I’ll say.

That is because of tax laws.

Y'all are really mad over the wrong thing. It's not the stimulus that is the problem. It's how the government spends money and in your point above it's how tax write offs allow some people a means to show much less tax liability than they should have. But y'all keep complaining about the stimulus instead of the actual root causes for your complaint....

It's not the government's role to hand out money in the first place. Over the decades they took that upon themselves. The government has no money. They take from the tax payers, which is not what should be happening.

We fall into the category of retirees who will get it but don't need it. I have already made donations to my local food bank and community outreach center in anticipation of getting the money. As to someone upthread who said our kids will be paying for it, true, but that also applies to the tax cut which benefitted rich folks and increased the national deficit.
Right & NOW suddenly some of those ppl are worried about the deficit. I can’t even. 🤦‍♀️

1st check helped me replace my 19 year old car.
2nd check is probably going to oldest boy's braces (I made an appointment for ortho on Jan 14 - dentist already says he needs them soon, so I'm assuming ortho will concur). With my cancer, we will max out our health savings every year (which pays for our insurance co-pays, glasses, dental, etc) and spend it all now on me, so this will help pay for the "other" big health needs we have.

I'm very thankful for the stimulus checks, even if we didn't have a salary decrease for 2020, b/c we sure had a life change thanks to my leukemia diagnosis.

We fall into the category of retirees who will get it but don't need it. I have already made donations to my local food bank and community outreach center in anticipation of getting the money. As to someone upthread who said our kids will be paying for it, true, but that also applies to the tax cut which benefitted rich folks and increased the national deficit.

The tax cut was the government stealing less, and it will only be paid for in future generations because the government spent more than it was able to steal.

One thing I learned about my husband's family is Velveeta is their go to..Sargento is next..I grew up on Kraft so my taste palette is way different :rotfl:

Mmmm...processed cheese food. By virtue of my grandparents, who lived upstairs from us when I was young, we had some relatively good food.

Once my parents got divorced and we were out of that house, things like processed cheese food, mustard sandwiches, became the norm with my dad as the chef. Clearly, cooking was not his strong suit.

It’s a drop in the bucket compared to other spending. I’ll leave it at that.
It's really not. The two "stimulus" bills in the last 10 months add up to almost as much spending as the government had revenues in 2018.
I volunteer at the Food bank. The bricks of cheese we give out are sharp cheddar cheese made under USDA contract by Tillamook. Not saying the USDA doesn't contract for processed cheese product, but I've never seen it here. We run a hot lunch program and I've made a LOT of grilled cheese sandwiches with that cheddar cheese.
That is not the cheese we are talking about. The government cheese we are talking about is like Velveeta, but two or three orders of magnitude less in quality. I think someone upthread nailed it with the comparison to the incredibly cheap Wal-Mart stuff that won't melt. See the pics that were posted by @Heather07438, that is the government cheese we got on the Res in the 80's. If we weren't in Wisconsin we wouldn't have known what cheddar was.

It's not the government's role to hand out money in the first place. Over the decades they took that upon themselves. The government has no money. They take from the tax payers, which is not what should be happening.
So if this is money they already stole from us shouldn't we be happy it's going back to people now?

Judgmental much? Depending on where you live in the country, 75k/150k a year is not a great living. Here in Connecticut with our taxes and very high cost of living,150k for a couple is in the mid middle class range. We are fortunate that we haven’t lost our jobs during this whole mess and don’t need the $1200 but it doesn’t make us gross that we are concerned about our taxes going up because thousand upon thousands of people will be getting another check without any loss of income.

I haven’t read 1 comment that said that people who lost their jobs and are in real need of the money shouldn’t get it but the 75k/150k is an arbitrary number that doesn’t take variables like where you live or if you lost your job. Why should a couple who hasn’t lost their jobs making 149k get a $1200 check?
Actually somebody on page one said checks shouldn’t be going out to anybody.

But I can answer the second part. There are people who are still employed but have increased expenses with everybody home. They’ve had to upgrade internet, pay for unlimited plans, they’re using more in utilities. And the cost of commodities has gone up and they’re using more of it with everybody home. UI doesn’t help these people, but it doesn’t mean they’re not struggling.

It’s called a stimulus. So some people will use it to be made whole. Those who don’t need to use it that way should spend it, so it’s used for its intended purpose- to stimulate the economy. It was never meant to be need based. Privileged people decided it suddenly was.

It’s arbitrary for you to decide that just because somebody is still employed, they don’t need the money.

Nothing here. I was doing end of the year financial things today, so I was checking on our account and there was nothing new.

I know people are struggling, but I worry about what we are doing to future generations with the staggering debt we keep adding to.

We're going to see tax increases. It's that simple. I've already seen people complaining about possible inheritance tax changes in the future, and yet they're the same people saying the government should be paying out more now. That money has to come from somewhere, folks! ;)

Nothing here. I was doing end of the year financial things today, so I was checking on our account and there was nothing new.

We're going to see tax increases. It's that simple. I've already seen people complaining about possible inheritance tax changes in the future, and yet they're the same people saying the government should be paying out more now. That money has to come from somewhere, folks! ;)
I doubt inheritance tax is going anywhere other than a higher threshold. Isn’t the threshold around $12 million right now?

I have yet to receive mine, but I'm not in dire straits so I can wait. I'm also waiting on my W-2 to file my tax return. Since I claim 0 with my employer, I expect to get at least a small return.

I'm also curious about how everybody feels regarding the current Stimulus situation. The $600 checks are going out, but as I understand it, the push for $2,000 checks got completely denied and it's unlikely well ever see that remaining $1400 in the future. I think it unlikely that we will see a third stimulus package either now that we have a vaccine slowly being distributed to the population.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter