Anyone following any covid protocols on cruises?

Also recently back from the Hawaii to Vancouver cruise. Many people still wore masks onboard, even while sitting by the pool and no one batted an eye. I would hope people have more class than to side eye or say anything to someone wearing a mask. We did not wear masks the whole time except where required and felt very safe. We went to the buffet in Cabanas, hung out and spoke with people we didn't know in the hot tubs and pools, conversed with people in elevators, etc. Being in a full theatre did not bother us at all. We did need to wear masks on our Air Canada flight home and in the Vancouver Airport. We spent 4 days at Aulani and one night in Waikiki pre cruise and did not need to wear masks there IIRC. I feel people were very respectful of distancing when they could onboard. I brought tests with us and tested near the end of the cruise and were negative onboard. We did our testing to get back into the US at the Fairmont Hotel in Vancouver Airport by Bon Voyage medical and it was very easy. We also spent the night at the hotel and flew home the next day but many people from the were testing at the hotel. Glad we did as there were reports of some chaos at the place across the street from the terminal. Tested again a few days after we got home and negative as well.

On Hawaiian Air we did not need to wear masks during the flight but many did. We wore them in JFK pre flight.

I spoke with one of the CM's up on the pool deck and asked if he was required to wear the mask all the time while outside by the pool and he said no, he could take it off sometimes while he was outside and I saw him a few times without it.

MJ

One of the crew told me that there are air purifiers throughout the ship but they are not in the restaurants

We are sailing in July. Our son is 4 and obviously cannot be vaccinated. We will be bringing masks - not sure if we will wear them yet but we definitely want to have them handy.

We were on the HI-Vancouver cruise. We wore masks in the Walt Disney Theater and in the movie theater. There was a line at the shops on the first day they were open. It was tightly packed in a small space, so we wore them in line. But that's it. We had three days post cruise in Vancouver, and only wore them in elevators when riding with strangers. No issues with testing to get home.

Of course the weekend after I got home I was exposed while getting my hair cut. :) 5 days out from the exposure, still testing negative.

ETA - I never felt self conscious wearing a mask on board. Do what you feel comfortable doing.

Last edited:

didnt totally check it out. But I had never seen them pre-covid- So I assume if they invest in such equipepment they do it right. As a purifier makes no sense. Not like pollen is flying about.

Has anyone flown to Canada now that they still require masking and the US doesn't? Or what it's like on the Wonder out of Canada with their additional cruise rules. I was wondering how it is being handled on planes and what the cruise is like compared to reports coming out of Florida.
Masks are still required on flights in Canada and in airports. Preflight covid testing isn't required but you still have to fill out the "ArriveCan" app which is where you upload your vaccine information and travel details, and how you are feeling on your travel day. Once that is complete they send you a QR code that lets the border agent know you have been approved to enter the country according to the Health and Safety policy. I don't know about the ploicies and practices on the ship though

It's funny how I'm the original poster and about a week after I first wrote this, I got Covid. Oh well, I avoided it for 2+ years.
Hope you feel OK! I got covid for the first time 10 days ago. Got it at Disney for sure. It was a good run. DH got it from me (and he has been PcR testing almost weekly for work since this started so we know he never had it). DD 9 is still testing negative as of yesterday

I think I'm glad that masking has become accepted. I'll probably always do it, during flu season and when covid surges, in movie theaters and in other spaces where you are sitting close to others. One thing I am curious about: is the Rainforest Room in the Senses Spa on the cruise ships still by reservation only or has that gone back to pre-covid? I'd love to do it on a cruise I'm considering, but not sure it would be safe if there is a surge.

Just got back from a Dream cruise on 5/13. Tested negative at the port, all vaccines for both parties. 7 days later symptoms, Tested Covid + at 8 days post cruise. Had to have gotten it on the ship. Other reports from my sailing passengers tested positive after disembarking.
The average incubation time is usually 24 to 72 hours for the variants and almost always less than 5 days. If it was 8 days, possibly you were infected after the cruise. We will be masking on the cruise in any case and crossing our fingers.

I’m not sure regulation-wise, but socially, many are still wearing masks in Vancouver. At the mall, I’d say around 80% of people wear masks. I assume that’ll make for a higher popularity of masks on Vancouver sailings
Are people masking outdoors? For instance if we're on a biking tour and outdoors the whole time socially would we be expected to mask?

Are people masking outdoors? For instance if we're on a biking tour and outdoors the whole time socially would we be expected to mask?
In Vancouver? No, you are not expected to mask outside. You're not expected to mask anywhere, it's completely your choice unless you are in a medical setting.

There are still private businesses that have their own policies though, so I’d still have one in the pocket in case

Since there are no onboard Covid protocol rules, what you decide to do will be what you do, but you can't expect anyone else to be doing the same. There will be some passengers who prefer to wear masks and keep distant, but most passengers won't be worrying about that unless it becomes a rule again. things like asking for a dining table distant from other parties, you probably won't be able to get that unless the dining room isn't full.

Some ports might require masks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter