Anyone every have any luck requesting a free upgrade at a Disney resort?

No. I have a friend who does the room assignments, she said they do not upgrade people who ask but do occasionally pixie dust someone. She said it’s the same reason I got a ton of pixie dust when I got engaged there. She said you never asked, didn’t wear a pin or the bridal ears. She said those people are clearly asking for something and are less likely to get anything other than a free cupcake at the end of a meal.

How would they know you were celebrating something like getting engaged unless you were wearing a button? I mean you could just come out and tell them, but that's kind of the same thing.

I do see her point regarding people who outright ask for something.

How would they know you were celebrating something like getting engaged unless you were wearing a button? I mean you could just come out and tell them, but that's kind of the same thing.

At check in they ask, “are we celebrating anything”

I would definitely not go in expecting or requesting it. The main reasons they upgrade in the first place is due to maintenance or them overbooking a category and sometimes, but rarely, due to pixie dust. In the 16 years we’ve been going we’ve been upgraded once and it was due to overbooking. We were booked at CBR during FD in a standard room in 2016. When we arrived they stated they overbooked so moved us to the pirate rooms but it was our anniversary so the CM stated a pirate room is not acceptable for a couple without kids on their anniversary. The CM proceeded to upgrade us to AKL but didn’t say which category. When we arrived we were given a Savannah View on the first floor, I was so shocked. I was crying in the car all the way from CBR to AKL because I was so shocked. We’ve never been upgraded again since, not even the room category and I’m ok with that. We book what we want and are happy with that.

To me to expect it or ask for it is just a sign of entitlement.

He proposed to me in MK in front of the castle during the fireworks and a Disney photo pass person captured it. I’m guessing he made a note in their system because we never said anything but anytime we scanned our magic bands the CM saw it on our file. If you are celebrating something and let Disney know, anytime you scan your magic band the CM can see it.

There is an option to add a celebration to your booking.

When we call in to make our reservation, most of the times they will ask if we are celebrating anything.

With Disney resorts often being quite full, it's not likely to happen. But something we say when going to Disney - it never, ever hurts to ask.... Just be respectful and unsurprised if the answer is no.
OP, if you're still reading this thread, if you ask for an upgrade, do NOT ask for a "free" upgrade. Ask how much it would cost to upgrade your room. The odds of them saying "nothing" are near zero.

We've been upgraded a few times, but not because we asked. It just happened and we weren't expecting it. This past May we were disappointed with the resort we booked and moved to a more expensive resort--and paid for the difference.

The only pixie-dust-like thing that we got was that resort #1 didn't charge us for the few hours we were there before we moved. We did not ask for this and weren't expecting it and were quite surprised by it.

The only time people are upgraded to a higher level resort is when Disney does it for any number of reasons--unplanned maintenance, overbooking, and hurricane are a few of the reasons I can think of offhand--but never because someone just asks Hey, can I be upgraded for free to a better resort? Don't do it.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter