Anyone ever book directly with Dolphin Encounters?

tikibirds

Mouseketeer
I did the sea lion encounter through DCL in March and loved it. Was thinking of trying the Dolphin one with my DH next month and I see on the Dolphin Encounters website, that not only are they cheaper directly, they are offering and additional 20% off for Jan-Feb bookings done online through the end of January. Has anyone ever booked with them directly, and if so what was your experience as far as getting confirmation, as well as instructions to get to the boat, etc? Thanks!

I did in Jan 2009, but as far as I've heard they no longer allow that if they know you're on a Disney ship. I have heard of people telling less than the truth about the ship they are on or giving a resort they aren't actually staying at to get around this, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

If you manage to book direct, the instructions are easy to follow. We took a ferry boat to Paradise Island and there is a building where you get a wristband and meet another ferry to Blue Lagoon.

Good luck. :)

I did in Jan 2009, but as far as I've heard they no longer allow that if they know you're on a Disney ship. I have heard of people telling less than the truth about the ship they are on or giving a resort they aren't actually staying at to get around this, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
The big downside to this, besides the dishonesty, is if the ship doesn't dock there for some reason and you booked with them directly, you usually need a letter from the cruiseline to get a refund. That might be hard to pull off if you told them you were staying at a resort or sailing on a different ship. If it were me, I'd just book through the ship...

Sayhello

Here's the response I got:

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for choosing Dolphin Encounters Ltd. Kindly refer to www.DisneyCruise.com to make your booking, as we are unable to make a direct booking for you as a Disney passenger.

Bummer - we won't be doing this as I'm not about to pay 30% more than other customers that are able to book directly are. I imagine they must have a non-compete clause with Disney. :sad1:

Here's the response I got:

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for choosing Dolphin Encounters Ltd. Kindly refer to www.DisneyCruise.com to make your booking, as we are unable to make a direct booking for you as a Disney passenger.

Bummer - we won't be doing this as I'm not about to pay 30% more than other customers that are able to book directly are. I imagine they must have a non-compete clause with Disney. :sad1:

This wasn't the case back in 2006 when we booked directly with Dolphin Encounters. But in our case, I tried booking through DCL but they were already full. If we wanted to do it, it could only be through Dolphin Encounters Directly. I wonder what the case is currently if the ship bookings are for this excursion are already at full capacity?

I wonder why this is? I booked dolphin swim directly w/ Blue Lagoon when I took a Royal Caribean cruise in 2006, everything was great. I emailed blue lagoon yesterday w/ a question about their beach day and mentioned I was a cruise passenger w/ disney and they also told me they are not allowed to book my ressie. Weird, too bad Disney prices are ridicoulous.

We booked with them directly for the dolphin swim in summer '08 but at at the time DCL did not offer the swims, only the encounters so it was a non-issue. They apparently now offer the swims as well I take it. We LOVED it and the Dolphin Encounters staff were very professional. I emailed them with questions at least twice before we went and both times they were answered promptly and professionally so I felt good booking direct. Shame DCL now has a non-compete with them... Glad we did it while we could.

There is one huge disadvantage IF you are able to book by yourself. There are Disney only rides back to Nassau. They will check your wristband to see if you booked through Disney.

I was interested in doing the Royal Dolphin Swim with Dolphin Discovery in Grand Cayman.

I emailed Disney and Dolphin Discovery. Disney says that Dolphin Discovery only lets them sell the regular swim. And Dolphin Discovery says that Disney does not allow them to book anything for me.

If I fight them on their never ending circle will I eventually be able to book it through one or the other? Or should I just tell them I'm coming in not on a Disney Ship?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter