Anyone else get the post-cruise blues?

I have found that I always feel a bit blue after returning from my cruise. I've learned now try to have a cruise already planned or book another on board.

Still, I was on the WBTA last year and had such a fantastic time that my case of the blues lasted quite a while. To be honest, I'm not sure it's totally gone yet. It sneaks up on me every once in a while.

Thankfully, I have two cruises booked this year and already have a Fantasy booked for next year!

We have never been on a cruise before and if it's anything like leaving WDW, I'm in big trouble. I'm usually very depressed for about 2 or 3 months after WDW. I swear, I wanted so badly to chain myself to the bench when the Magical Express arrived to take us back to the airport. My DW thought for sure I would go kicking and screaming........I almost did. :rotfl:

Having just taken our first cruise, I really didn't have that issue at first - I looked back on it as a great time, but no more so than a good week in the Parks at either SSR or the Grand... But after a month or so, as we were deciding on this year's trip, DW and I realized that the farther away from our arrival home we got, the more we were missing it! So for us, it took about 2-3 months to set in (of course, we got home just in time for Thanksgiving & Christmas, so we were distracted!)

I realized that I usually spend a lot of vacation dollars at the WDW parks/resorts, but going forward I can see that a chunk of those dollars are going to be transferred over the DCL for the foreseeable future! :sunny:

Yeah, replace WDW with DLR, and this is us, exactly! In fact, all this year's DVC points and half of next year's went to cruise #2... :rolleyes1 THAT helped the blues a bit - in fact, today is the 200 day mark for us to leave! :thumbsup2

When we spent 15 daze on the Panama Canal trip I thought that would be long enough to get cruising out of my system (temporarily of course) but it was just as hard if not harder to leave the ship than after a week-long Disney cruise. Had to go wear ourselves out at Disneyland to finish our "mouse fix." sort of. Two months later I still miss the ship. We'll be cruisin in two more months but it won't be DCL. heavy sigh. Waiting for next year's itineraries to be announced before we plan another cruise.

When we spent 15 daze on the Panama Canal trip I thought that would be long enough to get cruising out of my system (temporarily of course) but it was just as hard if not harder to leave the ship than after a week-long Disney cruise. Had to go wear ourselves out at Disneyland to finish our "mouse fix." sort of. Two months later I still miss the ship. We'll be cruisin in two more months but it won't be DCL. heavy sigh. Waiting for next year's itineraries to be announced before we plan another cruise.

WOW! I would LOVE to be able to a 15-nighter!! Unfortunately, we have to work around the school calendar (2 DDs still in school and I'm a teacher). But, when the time is right, we are definitely doing a long one like that....even if it means a 2 7-nighters B2B!

Being the Disney addicts that we are, we are fortunate enough to be able to slip away for a weekend at WDW about once a month. But, it's still not the same as DCL--which I wish we could do more of. I'm even in more withdrawal now than usual because we did a different cruise line last year. This is the first time ever we've had 3 booked all at once...so lots to look forward to between now and June 2012!!:thumbsup2

I hear ya! What do I do to snap out of it? I go to WDW! Seriously. We do the 4-night cruise then follow that up with 4 nights at WDW. It's the perfect remedy to the post-cruise blues.

I never thought I'd love DCL as much as we did....just returned from a B2B on the Dream. I am now officially obsessed with DCL, and am SO sad our cruise is over. We've booked the Fantasy for Aug. 2012, but I admit it seems SO far away. Feeling SOOOOO blue!!!!!!!! :grouphug:

Yes! The week after we got back from our first Disney Cruise the whole family was sitting in the living room watchcing America's Funniest Home Videos which was being shown LIVE FROM THE DISNEY WONDER!!!!! All of our jaws dropped to the floor in stunned silence. It was pure torture! Pretty sure my 2 year old and I both shed at least one tear before that show was over.

I went on my first cruise and I feel this way, exactly. I've been home for a few weeks now... and I still have the post-cruise blues! Something about the Disney cruise magic really got me, and has stuck with me.

I'm feeling a little guilty for having the blues, because I do feel VERY lucky to be able to cruise at all. This is a very posh problem to have... !! ;) But I definitely feel it.

Guess I have to get to work on planning the next cruise... !!

I agree about feeling guilty about having the blues when we have been lucky to have cruised at all!
We booked onboard for our next cruise and it helps to have something to look forward to but Sept 2012 seems so far away!! I keep looking at earlier dates to see if we could sneak one in before then but don't think it's feasible!

I've learned to NEVER got off the ship without having booked another cruise on board. Even if it is a dummy date that I know I'm going to have to push forward. It goes a long way to help the post-cruise blues!

:thumbsup2

Great advice, Jackie! I do the same thing, too. When people ask me for DCL tips, booking a cruise, even a "dummy" date, is the first tip I tell them. As soon as you leave the ship, you lose the 10% discount and onboard credit.

Jan

The build-up to a cruise is always so exciting with all the planning, counting down the days, etc. Then--the time finally comes to set sail, have an awesome time, and then it's over. :sad2: I always walk around feeling blue for several days after returning home. Anyone else with me? What do you do to snap out of it? :confused:

Yes! & it can come back when you realize that you don't have another one planned for more than a year. ;):rotfl:

I'm trying to convince my hubs to go on another one sometime this year, but it hasn't worked out for me...yet. :rolleyes1

I'm with you. I have actually had tears in my eyes at the last breakfast before disembarking. I usually cure the post cruise blues by booking another and then the whole process starts over again:)

QUOTE=TinkBell10;40515159]The build-up to a cruise is always so exciting with all the planning, counting down the days, etc. Then--the time finally comes to set sail, have an awesome time, and then it's over. :sad2: I always walk around feeling blue for several days after returning home. Anyone else with me? What do you do to snap out of it? :confused:[/QUOTE]

yes, yes, yes, i wasn't sure if it was bc it had been so long since our last vacation, or bc we had such a good time!
we loved our cruise, regret not rebooking on board, but already have plans for next year, and plan to contact our TA soon to lock in our date and price :banana:

I'm only 4 days removed from the Magic so OF COURSE I HAVE POST-CRUISE BLUES!:rolleyes::sad2::guilty:
While I did get a price quote for a future cruise, I never booked it. Why?!
Because every time I went to the future sales desk she was busy with other lucky folks booking. I never did get back to her and am feeling down. At least I have not gone back to work yet:happytv:

It was terrible!!!!! The post-cruise blues! It helps to be on here, with people who understand!;)

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your honesty on this issue! We are first time cruisers, we decided to treat ourselves to a BIG first family vacation because we've had a pretty tough year. Ironically, we embark on the first anniversary of my dad's death -- what a great way to take one of the worst days of my life and turn it into something special. We will be sure to book a date, any date! just to keep the good vibes going. I have really come to love these boards for so many practical reasons... thanks for addressing the emotional ones as well!!!

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your honesty on this issue! We are first time cruisers, we decided to treat ourselves to a BIG first family vacation because we've had a pretty tough year. Ironically, we embark on the first anniversary of my dad's death -- what a great way to take one of the worst days of my life and turn it into something special. We will be sure to book a date, any date! just to keep the good vibes going. I have really come to love these boards for so many practical reasons... thanks for addressing the emotional ones as well!!!

Sorry for the loss of your dad :hug:

Be sure to have raise a toast to him on deck four and watch a sunset. I dare say it is impossible not to find the profound and everlasting while watching the sun set over the ocean.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter