Anyone else get the DVC survey re: DVC 'elite' club?

I hope DVC doesn't do it, but if so, well that's something I won't qualify for.

Bobbi:goodvibes

That was my thought too. I can only afford a small number of points and thought it was pretty nice that I still got to be a 'real' member. I wonder what the perks will be? Will members get extra early booking days? Preferred rooms? Those kinds of things would bother me as then I would feel like a not as cherished member. If it's stuff like a special reception, or extra goodies or a Club members only event, then OK..they paid for it. I don't want my basic membership standards to be diluted though.
I actually like the Club 91 name..the closest thing to Club 33.

This really concerns me. I don't know what Disney's reasons for this are but it seems to me that if it is going to favor those with lots of points that it might actually be rewarding the "professional renters" out there. They have LOTS of points and how is Disney going to distinguish between the legitimate members who happen to have a lot of points and those who rent their many points for profit?

I don't like this at all! It makes me feel that the rest of us aren't important to Disney....that my paltry 160 points make me a scond class member or as we've always referred to it, the red-headed stepchild. :mad:

Hey, if I wanted to be really "elite", I would've bought into the Four Seasons (if I could've afforded it..:rotfl: ).
Maybe it should be named the "ELEVEN Seasons Club", after the 11 DVC properties.:rolleyes1

This really concerns me. I don't know what Disney's reasons for this are but it seems to me that if it is going to favor those with lots of points that it might actually be rewarding the "professional renters" out there. They have LOTS of points and how is Disney going to distinguish between the legitimate members who happen to have a lot of points and those who rent their many points for profit? :

I was thinking the same thing. This could actually encourage people to buy more points for the sake of getting the 'elite' perks and then just rent the points they don't need (assuming members could afford to do this). Now, they would be making $ on the rental AND getting the perks of the club.

I don't like this either. I think the draw of Disney and DVC is that everyone, whether DVC guests, Deluxe resort guests or Value resort guests are all treated the same.

I was thinking the same thing. This could actually encourage people to buy more points for the sake of getting the 'elite' perks and then just rent the points they don't need (assuming members could afford to do this). Now, they would be making $ on the rental AND getting the perks of the club.

I don't like this either. I think the draw of Disney and DVC is that everyone, whether DVC guests, Deluxe resort guests or Value resort guests are all treated the same.

:confused3 :sick: :sad1: :furious:

This just plain sucks!!!

That was my thought too. I can only afford a small number of points and thought it was pretty nice that I still got to be a 'real' member. I wonder what the perks will be? Will members get extra early booking days? Preferred rooms? Those kinds of things would bother me as then I would feel like a not as cherished member. If it's stuff like a special reception, or extra goodies or a Club members only event, then OK..they paid for it. I don't want my basic membership standards to be diluted though.
I actually like the Club 91 name..the closest thing to Club 33.

I agree with you. I wouldn't want my membership diluted (and I'm thinking a lot of people might sell if they didn't have an equal chance of getting those hard to get units), but I wouldn't mind if they gave the high point owners a reception or goodie basket or special event.

Bingo....we have a winner!::yes::

This concerns me. One of the things I really like about DVC is that they treat all members equally. It doesn't matter if you bought resale, it doesn't matter that you only own 25 points, every member gets the same perks, and the use of there membership. In many other timeshare points programs they have different levels of membership. If you only buy a few points, or buy resale, you become second class citizens, not entitled to the same benefits as the VIP owners.

Ugh. My thoughts exactly. This idea leaves a really sour taste in my mouth. The term "elite" denotes a hierachy of sorts and that doesn't sit well at all.

Ugh. My thoughts exactly. This idea leaves a really sour taste in my mouth. The term "elite" denotes a hierachy of sorts and that doesn't sit well at all.
It may be a bitter pill -- but it isn't an unfamiliar one. We all deal with loyalty programs in various consumer markets.
  • I fly American Airlines ... seeking to maintain my Frequent Flyer status ... so I can take advantage of early boarding, access to exit row seating, and now to check bags w/out fee.
  • I am more likely to do grocery shopping at Ralph's than at Vons because my "Club Card" number is easier to remember and I hate paying the "non-Club" prices! And the number of Club Cards continues to grow: shoe store chains, pet care chains, greeting card chains, novelty food centers, etc. My wallet is full of these silly cards!
  • Before DVC, we recognized that Disney tracked our annual visits in how they greeted my husband at Check-in. The staff always seemed to squeeze in some reference like, "Thank you for the XX visits since 1996." It wasn't any huge mystery why we received rooms in better locations as the years accumulated.
  • As an IBM Business Partner, my company receives perks based on volume of direct/indirect sales, number of IBM certified employees, etc.
  • My choice of Credit Card is driven by the card issuer's reward program.
Loyalty measurements surround us from every direction! If you can't fight it ... pick your favorites and play along ...

The "everyone is equal" factor is one of the things we liked about DVC. It makes me a little sad that DVC is considering this route. I'd hate to think that everyone with less than X number of points might be viewed as less than first class member/owners.

It may be a bitter pill -- but it isn't an unfamiliar one. We all deal with loyalty programs in various consumer markets.
  • I fly American Airlines ... seeking to maintain my Frequent Flyer status ... so I can take advantage of early boarding, access to exit row seating, and now to check bags w/out fee.

• So should "loyalty" based on point ownership open the door for "coach class" and "first class" DVC membership?

DisFlan

I was talking to my husband last night about this elite status given to members with large number of points. Like give them a month earlier to make reservations - 12 months for home resort, 8 months for non-home resorts. Then this would just open the door to those commercial renters.

Folks, I seriously doubt Disney can and would change our booking process to give some folks a head start. I suspect they will provide other awards. Its amazing how excited we all get with little to no information.

Folks, I seriously doubt Disney can and would change our booking process to give some folks a head start. I suspect they will provide other awards. Its amazing how excited we all get with little to no information.

Well, DVC changed the booking dates from check out date to check in date. They changed banking deadlines to 100% at 8 months. Why not change the reservation advantage?

I think anything they offer to elite DVC members would to be cost free to DVC, so banking deadlines, booking deadlines, fastpasses, etc. are the first that come to my mind.

"The "everyone is equal" factor is one of the things we liked about DVC. It makes me a little sad that DVC is considering this route. I'd hate to think that everyone with less than X number of points might be viewed as less than first class member/owners."

Yes, exactly!

And wouldn't it be nice if the members using the perks of their 'elite' status would then keep their rooms cleaner, the hallways free of garbage, and treat the cast members nicer than those without that status? Maybe DVC should give 'rewards' based on the merits of being good DVC citizens rather than financial status??? So everyone would have an equal chance!:)

Sure, I'm dreaming...that wouldn't encourage anyone to spend more money buying points, now, would it?

We need to remember that nothing is being done at this point and Disney is not promoting the "elite" designation. Let's wait and see what transpires in the future.

We need to remember that nothing is being done at this point and Disney is not promoting the "elite" designation. Let's wait and see what transpires in the future.

Here Here, I concur. The term "elite" was used by the Original Poster not DVC as he so posted. "(the word 'elite' is mine, not theirs)." Thanks to DVC John for posting as he did.

I admit I am not one to push a referral, but will talk freely about my satisfaction with my DVC. Sure some folks have become members from talking to me, and living in a State where no incentive/reward is available I give frank and honest input, and let folks know I get nadda .

While DVC is great for Lynn and I it is not for everybody. And Yes, I have drunk the Kool-Aid, but I like the flavor.

When we first purchased DVC, it was marketed as 'special'. Over the years it became less and less special.

I for one think that certain member perks should only be extended to those who have a specific number of points: Mainly, the minimum purchase directly from DVC.

There are people out there who purchased a 25 point contract strictly for the perks. Getting a $100 discount on AP's for everyone in the household would pay for a 25-point resale contract pretty quickly.

Do the dues on a 25 point contract even cover the costs of maintaining that contract? That's maybe $100 a year. How much does it cost to publish and mail the yearly Planner book, or the quarterly magazine. How much to just enter everything into the system and maintain it? That doesn't leave much to cover their share of the true maintenance costs of running the resorts.

I don't think requiring the minimum purchase in order to get perks is a bad thing. It's not elitist at all...A word used by posters in this thread, not by Disney, BTW.

And if they decide to extend some additional perks to members who own more points, so be it. While I do not agree with changing booking windows, there are certainly other things they could do: Member lounges, larger dining discounts, free or discounted activities such as boat rental, etc. Maybe getting some generic fast passes for their stays. Free internet. Things like that.

The classification could be simple: Full Member or not. A Full Member owns 160 points or more. Less than that and you don't qualify for the Full Member perks.

If they want additional tiers, fine.

Let's see what they have in store first before we jump to any conclusions. I would hope every member, regardless of how many points they own, will be entitled to some of the benefits . I would think people with 100 pts. wouldn't get the same amount of benefits as someone with 500 pts. It seems this would be fair. Just another way for Disney to make you buy more points (the perks will have to be really good for me to buy more:lmao: )

Disney recently allowed buy-ins of 100 points. Those buyers should be considered "Full members." I understand what you are saying about the owners of only 25 points. I still feel "special" owning and staying in DVC villas, I feel very lucky. I do not want to be a salesperson for DVC and in fact, I do routinely throw out those flyers that encourage me to sell to friends. I have a DF who went to a presentation and gave my name on her own. She's on their list now and gets all sorts of mail, including most that we get as members, usually a little later than we do.

It's things like this that I remember when I fill out surveys that ask " Is WDW where dreams come true." I always reply "no" and wish to write in that it's a business, but I do like and use its product.

Bobbi:goodvibes

As to booking windows:

1. Every member at a resort must have the same home resort advantage. They cannot allow some owners at a resort to book, for example, 11 months out, and then have other owners at the same resort allowed to book only beginning 10 months out.

2. They can change the total booking windows, e.g., they could make it 10 months rather than 11. They can also change the length of the home resort advantage to any number of months but no less than 1, e.g., they could allow owners to book at 11 months and non-owners at 10. They are unlikely to do either because current sytem works.

3. They can suspend the home resort booking advantage if they set up a special season booking window. They actually had that back in the 90s for Christmas season where everyone could get on a list for Christmas up to 2 years out for choice of WDW resorts (only OKW and BWV at the time), regardless of which one they owned, and then about a year out they started calling people on the list in order of getting on it who then had to promptly decide to either take the reservation they requested or give it up, and they would go through the list that way until capacity was reached. I believe they probably ceased doing that special season because it was just too much of a hassle for MS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter