Anyone else concerned about the crowd increase?

I had a few tailgaters in lines but finally just turned around and asked if they would like to join our party lol. One guy said “sorry,I thought you were my wife”. I replied “sorry your wife looks like a man” and he backed off lol.

OMG - This is hysterical! My family all laughed out loud at this! We are totally borrowing this comeback if we run into that excuse - we used to often at the MN United Soccer games where the concourses are too narrow for the crush of fans in a game w/out TOs, many breaks... last year of course.

Love it!

On Saturday during a holiday weekend. Not surprising to me.
There is no doubt that lines are long. But you can still social distance while in line.

Missing a key point here - the folks on the DIS likely rarely wait in lines that long due to our knowledge and use of FP system. So it makes for a compounded dis-benefit - cost calculation. Makes one ask the question about risk - if you’re worried about COVID - being worth waiting in LONGER than normal lines :confused3

And from reports it seems the physical distancing everywhere seems to be tough with increasing crowds and no ride/restaurant/attraction capacity increases to help absorb them - and perhaps less mindful people. Intentionally or not.

I'm fully aware of that... I am one of those people who has maximized use of both legacy FP and FP+.

Yes - I would expect that being in this forum. Which is why it’s frustrating/surprising to see a lack of acknowledgment, recognition or understanding that a fellow dis-er would not be super jazzed about a trip with 120 minute waits on headliners with no FP option.

hence missing the point

With the opening of Flordia by the govenor, I believe more people will be willing to go to WDW. Crowds will increase, but will WDW increase cast members to help the flow of visitors? This is a strange time and will take some time to adjust. I hope they will adjust accordingly and I expect them to, but it there will be some growing pains right now.

Yes - I would expect that being in this forum. Which is why it’s frustrating/surprising to see a lack of acknowledgment, recognition or understanding that a fellow dis-er would not be super jazzed about a trip with 120 minute waits on headliners with no FP option.

hence missing the point
I wouldn't be jazzed about 120 minutes either, but that appears to be the exception. Lots of reports indicate much shorter waits than that.

In my experience you wait about 40% of the posted wait time at Hollywood Studios and about 50% at the other parks.
Since reopening yes, you are correct as it was exactly that way when we came in July. Not this weekend. I don’t think they were prepared for this many people. Wait times were pretty close to posted times and sometimes longer.

This weekend is not the norm or even the longer (inaccurate) waits we have seen in late September and early October. This 6 day window was always going to be a mess. The park reservation system went from yellow to green back to yellow for all ticketing groups. It is a holiday weekend and well known fall break weekend. If you still choose to go and are now complaining about it, that is a YOU problem. People doing any bit of reservation tracking or research would be fully aware of what they are getting into this 6 day window.

Disney was always going to increase capacity as the opened because they HAVE to.

I can tell you each day that has gone from yellow to green for each ticketing group. I even know one day for APs that went from gray to green. It is on YOU to know before you go.

For your little emoji, we were standing there a few minutes before that family walked up. Cavalcade started and we had no where to go. Cast members were walking up and down the street so they know how the distancing is.
Thanks for this additional detail. That certainly makes a difference. I, too, would be unhappy if we felt "trapped" in a crowd that we'd actively avoided.

Regarding the general state of crowds, I've been watching recent live streams (including one yesterday at EPCOT) and, other than a few choke points, I didn't see many places (despite the crowds), where distancing wasn't still feasible.

Cavalcade approaching or not, CM would not have kept me from moving away if a crowd descended on us like that.

Last edited:
can tell you each day that has gone from yellow to green for each ticketing group. I even know one day for APs that went from gray to green. It is on YOU to know before you go.

This may sound like a stupid question...how do I look up whether a park is green or yellow?

Since reopening yes, you are correct as it was exactly that way when we came in July. Not this weekend. I don’t think they were prepared for this many people. Wait times were pretty close to posted times and sometimes longer.
There are always going to be exceptions.

We waited longer then the posted time for It's A Small World because we caught a cleaning cycle.

I think personal perception is playing a huge deal in the reviews, always has. I have always enjoyed reading reviews from people who attended the same event on the same day. Review one will talk about how horrible it was, crowded, lines, etc, while review two will talk about how amazing an experience they had, no lines, etc.

I read others reviews of Labor Day weekend and many were so very different then my own personal experience yet we were at the same parks at the same time.

In my experience a higher percentage of those that had a less then stellar experience will take the time to write a review versus those that had a great time. As a result I don't believe you can get a true picture of what to expect if you don't adjust your interpretation of the reviews with that in mind.

fellow dis-er would not be super jazzed about a trip with 120 minute waits on headliners with no FP option.
Since I live across the country, been a Dis-er since 2002, I'm so excited to be going back at Thanksgiving. Do I know the crowds are going to be crazy, yes. Will I be in line more than when FP's are offered, yes. Could I wait going till ....... when? Yes. BUT I also know I can enjoy being there crowds or not. You may even see a 71 yr old skipping(ok walking) down Main Street.

hence missing the point

I get the point.

Everyone is paying more for less. I can understand not wanting to pay high prices for less experience.

But Disney magic is still there! And to me it’s worth just walking down Main Street and seeing the castle.

So far, 50 minutes has been the most I’ve been willing to wait for an attraction. That was on a Saturday at MK, this month. Almost all attractions that day were saying 50 minutes. 50 minutes was for Pirates and Big Thunder Mountain. Pirates actually was 50 because we hit a cleaning cycle. Big Thunder was actually 25 when we rode, however when we got off the attraction the queue was much longer. If you don’t hit a cleaning cycle, the wait times are usually shorter. But there’s no way to know when the next cleaning cycle will be.

I’ve noticed the last hour a park is open, we’ve been able to get a lot done. But staying til closing means exit and transportation lines will be long. Sometimes very long.

To clarify we enjoyed our trip. We started this as a Universal trip for 6 nights which was our first and I will say it was amazing! I added the 2 Disney days at the end to surprise our kids so I booked the Contemporary to be close to MK. And like I stated in previous post, I am not complaining, just informing. We got to do enough rides at HS and MK. I was also able to book last minute dining. On Friday we ate at ABC for lunch and I grabbed 50’s prime time for dinner. On Saturday we got a table inside Gastons for a break and snack, booked Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch and after swimming back at the resort I booked us California Grill for a late dinner. The main downfall of this trip was the fact that getting drinks, a Mickey bar or popcorn was a really long wait only because so many snack carts were closed. My best guess is only one out of 5 were open. I’m thankful I was able to book sit down dining because a lot of quick serve restaurants were also closed.

Last edited:
DeterminedOne, I hear you on the Fast Pass! When I see 70 minute waits for HM, 7DMT and ToT...that's a problem with No FP! If you can go do something else and come back, that's fine but, to stand in a line with folks that don't understand social distancing (Yes, take a look on You Tube if you don't believe me) this is a disaster waiting to happen. I know Disney HAD done what appeared to be a commendable job up to a week or so ago but, what is going on right now is worrisome and disturbing. It's almost like they are trying to get shutdown again. I hope not but...

Cheers,

Schuey

I believe it is a disaster as well. But when people read news stories that NO Covid cases have been linked to WDW, then you have to scratch your head.

To clarify we enjoyed our trip. We started this as a Universal trip for 6 nights which was our first and I will say it was amazing! I added the 2 Disney days at the end to surprise our kids so I booked the Contemporary to be close to MK. And like I stated in previous post, I am not complaining, just informing. We got to do enough rides at HS and MK. I was also able to book last minute dining. On Friday we ate at ABC for lunch and I grabbed 50’s prime time for dinner. On Saturday we got a table inside Gastons for a break and snack, booked Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch and after swimming back at the resort I booked us California Grill for a late dinner. The main downfall of this trip was the fact that getting drinks, a Mickey bar or popcorn was a really long wait only because so many snack carts were closed. My best guess is only one out of 5 were open. I’m thankful I was able to book sit down dining because a lot of quick serve restaurants were also closed.

Are you going to write a trip report about your awesome Universal trip of 6 nights? I would love to hear about it. How were the crowds, food options, ease of doing the attractions,comparisons with compliance at Universal vs WDW.
I hope that you will consider doing this. I am leaning more towards Universal at this point, and am reading all I can online. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter