Anyone dealing with judgmental family members re: Disney trips right now?

I took my family to WDW for a week during Christmas. Instead of judgement from relatives, it became kind of a backwards problem. See, my relatives were the "covid is fake and we hate masks" type while my family was super careful. Against my wishes, my wife told the relatives about our trip. Now, although inside WDW bubble things felt safe and we came back healthy, my relatives want to do stuff with us in person because "oh you guys traveled to Disneyworld". There is no nice way to explain "We felt way safer at WDW than hanging out with you" to people who insist you come into their home and visit, while none of them wore masks.

As for my one data point, inside WDW bubble was great. In the airport, on my Southwest flights, and outside WDW (Aldi, Dollar Tree, off-site properties) was full of unmasked and nose exposed people. If you double mask and can stay away from all those people on your way to/back from WDW, you should be safe (assuming you do all the right things like wash hands, etc). Inside the parks we saw unmasked people chomping on food walking around, sure, but it was like 20-30 total all day in the park vs. everywhere I look when outside.

Last edited:
I completely understand how you're feeling. My July/August 2020 trip was booked, planned, and paid for when Covid struck. My best friend and I had this trip in mind for nearly two years. When the parks opened back up (literally 2 and a half weeks before our arrival date), we took it as a sign to go. We faced a lot of criticism from our families because we were about to get on a plane and travel to Florida (which back then was a "hot spot" state) to go to a theme park during a pandemic. I had quite a few family members and even one friend who were very vocal about why they thought it was dumb to go. We ended up going through with it and it was the best trip I've ever had. Low crowds, low waits, and no shared ride vehicles. We got some really amazing pictures from Memory Maker that I will always cherish--even if we were masked. 😂 I hesitated posting about our trip online due to potential backlash from coworkers. I actually waited a few months before I actually posted anything because of it.

I completely understand how you're feeling. My July/August 2020 trip was booked, planned, and paid for when Covid struck. My best friend and I had this trip in mind for nearly two years. When the parks opened back up (literally 2 and a half weeks before our arrival date), we took it as a sign to go. We faced a lot of criticism from our families because we were about to get on a plane and travel to Florida (which back then was a "hot spot" state) to go to a theme park during a pandemic. I had quite a few family members and even one friend who were very vocal about why they thought it was dumb to go. We ended up going through with it and it was the best trip I've ever had. Low crowds, low waits, and no shared ride vehicles. We got some really amazing pictures from Memory Maker that I will always cherish--even if we were masked. 😂 I hesitated posting about our trip online due to potential backlash from coworkers. I actually waited a few months before I actually posted anything because of it.
In retrospect, you going right after reopening was probably the safest time to go. People were most careful and park capacity limit was lowest. The longer it gets, CMs accrue more”fatigue” fighting non compliant people.

Consider that your parents might be jealous. Yes, they are making the choice not to go but they are probably subconsciously upset that the other set of grandparents “get” to go and they are missing it. Nobody likes being left out.

We are planning a trip for Spring. We are young, heathy, and low risk, and I have no qualms about going. But if our parents 65+ tried to go I’d give them a piece of my mind 🤣🤣

Don’t go!!! I keep telling myself. I am just a neurotic mess. But this whole thing messes with our minds and puts us in all kind of emotional distress. What we all need now is a little Disney. Ironically, things like your parents getting on your case is part of the reason you need this trip. Am I right?

Why let these people and their thoughts in your head? It is your choice to go. Unless you asked them for their opinion you can remind them that you didn't ask.

We did not experience any pushback from family. But my MIL experienced some pushback from her friends who questioned whether she should go since FIL's mother is elderly and he is her primary caregiver. My FIL chose NOT to go on the trip because of his mom, which is understandable. But some gave my MIL a difficult time because SHE chose to go.

We did not spend time outside of the bubble at WDW. We spent the first night off-site, but did not go anywhere else. My DH ran to WalMart to get a swimsuit for my middle son. Other than that one trip, none of us left property. I did not feel unsafe at all. I felt more safe within the bubble than I do at most stores here.

The CMs did a great job of monitoring mask usage. I heard a few CMs correct guests at the Castle when guests tried to take maskless photos. I also witnessed the same once at Epcot and in front of the MK train station.

I will say, we avoided Disney Springs due to reports that it was crowded.

We all have to make choices for what we are comfortable with doing.

I am going in early March. My parents know and are ok, but not thrilled about me going. And a few close friends know. But for the most part, I am keeping it very quiet. Telling people at work I am just taking the week off (although most likely a few will guess). I am still working from home, so I don't have to worry about spreading it to co-workers. I think I may do what the person above did and not post anything right away to social media and sharing maybe a month or so later.

I’m going in a few weeks and not telling my parents. I’m pregnant and my mother freaks out over me even going to the grocery store. Meanwhile, I’m a healthcare worker and exposed every day at work. Disney will be way safer than my norm, I’m sure. I plan on taking every reasonable precaution, and if at any time a park or restaurant seems too crowded/unsafe, I will leave. Definitely taking it way easier than usual on this trip.

Not sure what forum to put this in. We’re new DVC members (joined in February) and are excited to go on our first DVC trip. We went to Disney last in February with both sets of grandparents and our 3 year old.

After a ton of consideration about Disney’s precautions, waiting to see whether there were outbreaks linked to the parks, etc. we decided to book for late January. One set of grandparents will be coming with us. We looked up the risk of getting COVID on a plane (1/7100 if the middle seats are blocked). Disney is taking what seem to be very reasonable and effective precautions. A vaccine is probably not going to be the panacea, so we all can’t just wait until then to live our lives. At some point, we need to be thinking about masks, washing our hands, and social distancing as the answer here, not simply the vaccine.

Anyway, my parents think we’re insane. They said there’s no reason to take a recreational trip during this time. I told them I’m not looking for their approval and certainly not expecting them to come with us. I said I understand why they are making the decision they are. We are healthy people in our early 30s. Our daughter is healthy. Our in-laws are older, but are making the decision that they want to make.

My parents just will not stop telling me how much they “completely disagree” with our decision. I just don’t want to hear it!

Anyone else in this situation?
Nope, but I can see how it can happen. I have several (let's call them former) friends on Facebook that act like that.

People can take different approaches to this thing. We've been actively leaving the house since April of last year, and resumed normal life in May of last year. Some people have literally barely left their house at all since March. They are capable of doing that, more power to them, but I honestly don't think I could have handled it.

Just agree to disagree, I guess?

Understand the theory behind not telling family, but if you have kids in your family, be aware they will totally pick up on the clandestine nature of the trip and will definitely rat you out to grandma and grandpa at the earliest opportunity. :laughing:
...or learn how to lie to you in the future.

I think you do you! If you’re comfortable and it’s open, go for it.

I did read Fauci and CDC still don’t recommend recreational travel even if vaccinated. Which feels frustrating. I want to follow recommendations... and don’t have travel planned until April, and even that is Disneyland which is still closed. So maybe May Disneyland or July Boston.Im fully vaccinated now so honestly, when I’m able, I’ll be traveling.

And people are just uninformed. I have a friend who thinks I’m crazy getting on an airplane or going to a theme park yet she is in her friends’ homes all the time. She doesn’t get it that over 70% of cases come from the home and 1% come from restaurants! She says I only hang out with careful people - well famous last words!

And people are just uninformed. I have a friend who thinks I’m crazy getting on an airplane or going to a theme park yet she is in her friends’ homes all the time. She doesn’t get it that over 70% of cases come from the home and 1% come from restaurants! She says I only hang out with careful people - well famous last words!

Where are you getting this number from?

Where are you getting this number from?
MSN - contact tracing data results
Gov. Andrew Cuomo released a detailed breakdown during a press conference on Friday showing how COVID-19 is spreading throughout the state.

Restaurants and bars accounted for 1.43 percent of COVID-19 cases recorded between September through the end of November, according to contact tracing data.

The figure places the industry as the fifth-largest contributor to spreading COVID-19 in the state, following education employees (1.5 percent), higher-education students (2.02 percent), and healthcare delivery (7.81 percent).

The largest contributor to COVID-19 spread in New York, by far, is private household and social gatherings. According to the state, 73.84 percent of COVID-19 cases spread through private gatherings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter