Anyone check-in and their room view "paid" for wasn't available?

roliepolieoliefan

DIS Veteran
This is our first time renting and we have a studio BWV BW view reserved for a week in September.

Has anyone ever gone and the view not been available? You know how they upgrade or downgrade you at the resorts because they overbook. Could they possibly not have your room view you reserved? I don't see how because they can't possibly give points back like they refund money. But since preferred and BW are the same amount of points, has anyone heard of not getting a BW view even though it is reserved and getting a preferred instead?

Just stupid stuff I've thought about.
TIA!

Boardwalk view is a guaranteed reservation status. If you reserve Boardwalk view, that is what you will get.

It is possible if there is a maintenance problem a room may not be available. But that is very unlikely. Since preferred pool/garden is the same amount of points, there would not be a refund.

Mary Ellen is right, plus they keep a "breakage" percentage so if rooms need to be down for maintenance issues, there is still something to cover the reserved rooms. Most timeshares operate on a near capacity reserved status if possible.

Yes. This happened when we used some stranded points for a H/C accessible water view at the Yacht Club for a conference I was attending.

When we checked around noon they said the room was not ready and suggested we get some lunch and come back afterwards. After a nice lunch they asked us to wait a bit longer. Finally they said that the only room with our requirements had been pulled from service. They showed (not told but literally showed) us a H/C accessible room with a courtyard view -- the resort was pretty much full because it was Jersey week and many conventions. But they wanted to be sure we were happy with the room.

Anyway we said the new room would work and the CM immediately said that he would notify MS to have the points credited back to our account. Sure enough about fifteen minutes after getting into our room the CM called and confirmed that MS would credit the account and who he had spoken with.

I called to ask MS if they would adjust another set of reservations because now those credited points would expire. The CM put us on hold and came back a few minutes later and said that her supervisor saw that and they were already manually adjusting the point allocations so we would not lose out.

Overall I was pretty impressed with how the whole thing was handled. I sent a nice note to the Yacht Club GM and our Carli.

Many have been moved around, usually upgraded. This happened a lot at BWV when they were redoing the siding out by the standard view units. But I recall two posts on this board where people showed up at BCV and a room was not available. If I recall correctly, one got a 3 BR at OKW in place of a 2 BR and the other got a regular room with concierge, I'm thinking at BWI but not certain. Maybe those affected will notice and post more details/corrections.

roliepolieoliefan said:
Has anyone ever gone and the view not been available?

yup, 2 years ago (last week of august).
we booked BWV 1 Bdrm preferred view for sat thru the following sunday (sat night DVC cash ressie, sun-thurs points, fr & sat DVC cash ressie).
FD said that they only had SV available (due to "overbooking").
the kicker tho was that they had assigned us to one room sat, in a diff room sun-thurs, then moving again for fri & sat).
after lotsa pleading to the FD CM, GM, we managed to get only one change of room, & a standard view (i just needed to call to get my PV points back).
btw, there was a bit of yelling in the BW lobby that day (not me :goodvibes ).....according to the GM, ppl that booked guaranteed BW view were assigned to other "views"........ :confused3

the good news is that we got the most HUGE incredible room - the one at the end of villas, over the doors, with beautiful views :cloud9:

I think the more common scenario is that people don't understand what they booked. They understand that there are two point structures, and then go on to assume that if it isn't a Standard View its a Boardwalk View. That's come up many times here, with people being disappointed with the view they booked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter