Anyone backing out?

NoodlesMom

DIS Veteran
Now that it seems that those of us in the buying process won't be grandfathered in, is anyone considering backing out? I know that it's really not the end of the world, but this new announcement has really left me questioning my decision.

Now that it seems that those of us in the buying process won't be grandfathered in, is anyone considering backing out? I know that it's really not the end of the world, but this new announcement has really left me questioning my decision.
I don't want to loose my 2000 deposit so most likely won't

Other than that extremely small % of people who would be reasonably buying for the perks, it shouldn't have any real affect on others. I can't imagine it being a deal breaker, of if it is, one likely shouldn't have been buying to start with. It does make me wonder if they'll actually follow through on a VIP program at some point.

I am definitely wishing to back out. I am a first time purchaser... 2 contracts... BWV and AKV... Signed on March 24
I bought thinking I would be a " DVC Member" not be discriminate against and be treated like a second class citizen.
i signed these contracts not expecting them to change the rules in the middle of the process. I signed them 12 days ago... So the 10 day cancellation is not valid... I may lose my deposit $2125.00 but it is better than spending $34 K to be discriminated against.

Other than that extremely small % of people who would be reasonably buying for the perks, it shouldn't have any real affect on others. I can't imagine it being a deal breaker, of if it is, one likely shouldn't have been buying to start with. It does make me wonder if they'll actually follow through on a VIP program at some point.
It is a deal breaker...I have no intention of being paying for DVC to be discriminated against....

The thought crosses my mind, mostly because I'm more upset that my sellers are the reason I will miss out, had they returned the documents in a timely fashion(received closing docs on3/16) and had a closing date in the contract of 3/31, I wouldn't even be in this questioning right now, that makes me want to use closing date as a reason to back out, they have not fulfilled their obligation within reason. But it's not worth losing my deposit. And I wasn't even counting on the perks or anything, but getting that ap discount would be nice, the rest is not a big deal to me.

Agreed!!

treated like a second class citizen.

Oh my goodness. How is ANYONE being treated like a "second class citizen"?? Resale buyers want it both ways. Life doesn't generally work that way. Sorry. Yes, I own a resale too, but not with Disney's TS. And guess what??? I have restrictions on it too. Am I surprised?? NO. You and I both are getting exactly what we bought.... a TIMESHARE. I still have what I bought resale: the ability to stay a week in a fabulous resort in a place I love. And you have the same option.

Agreed!!

Oh my goodness. How is ANYONE being treated like a "second class citizen"?? Resale buyers want it both ways. Life doesn't generally work that way. Sorry. Yes, I own a resale too, but not with Disney's TS. And guess what??? I have restrictions on it too. Am I surprised?? NO. You and I both are getting exactly what we bought.... a TIMESHARE. I still have what I bought resale: the ability to stay a week in a fabulous resort in a place I love. And you have the same option.

Not being considered a member is discrimination. Having certain expectations when you sign a contract and before it is finalized is just ********.

My understanding is that we lose the deposit if we back out.
I am not going to back out and lose my deposit for sure.... It's not worth that, I'm just extremely angry that my sellers have become the reason for my contract not closing on time, I think I will have to look at the contract, but I think maybe they have defaulted on the contract since they did not return paperwork on time

You do realize you are typing to someone that signed before they realized this change? Doesn't really qualify as exactly what they bought. Hopefully you will never need a "resale buyer" to take that contract for you.

You WILL still be a DVC Member. I don't get how people are saying otherwise. If you're not a DVC Member, then you sure as the world can't be calling MS and booking a DVC resort on points. It just won't happen.

I understand expectations and get how you and others are disappointed. I've been disappointed when both DVC and WDW have pulled favorable discounts, ticket options, valet parking, etc. BUT, I bought a timeshare for accommodations, not a discount program. If whomever sold you your resale was "selling" the perks, then shame on them. But it is each of our responsibility to know what we are buying and what the contract says. Owning a DVC Membership has been awesome for me and mine because of the accommodations I can book because of it. My discounts have come and gone. And they will continue to come and go. But until 2042, I have access to some pretty amazing accommodations.

You WILL still be a DVC Member. I don't get how people are saying otherwise. If you're not a DVC Member, then you sure as the world can't be calling MS and booking a DVC resort on points. It just won't happen.

I understand expectations and get how you and others are disappointed. I've been disappointed when both DVC and WDW have pulled favorable discounts, ticket options, valet parking, etc. BUT, I bought a timeshare for accommodations, not a discount program. If whomever sold you your resale was "selling" the perks, then shame on them. But it is each of our responsibility to know what we are buying and what the contract says. Owning a DVC Membership has been awesome for me and mine because of the accommodations I can book because of it. My discounts have come and gone. And they will continue to come and go. But until 2042, I have access to some pretty amazing accommodations.

Seriously..."it is each of our responsibility to know what we are buying". I guess it is also their responsibility to call Miss Cleo to know what the future will bring.

Why do people feel the need to tell other people what they should or shouldn't care about.

I am definitely wishing to back out. I am a first time purchaser... 2 contracts... BWV and AKV... Signed on March 24
I bought thinking I would be a " DVC Member" not be discriminate against and be treated like a second class citizen.
i signed these contracts not expecting them to change the rules in the middle of the process. I signed them 12 days ago... So the 10 day cancellation is not valid... I may lose my deposit $2125.00 but it is better than spending $34 K to be discriminated against.

sneetch.jpg

I bought resale and have the perks. But, as a memeber for almost 10 years, it really doesn't matter. Yes, I went on a DVC cruise and it was great--but not that much greater than the regular DCL. I went to the Merry Mixer--wow, stand in line for a photo, get a prewrapped cookie and some lemonade with a big crowd--nice if you happen to be there and it's free, but if they had charged $20, I would have said "no thanks." The food discount can also be had be having a WDW Visa card with no annual fee. We got AP with the discount 1X, but the cheaper pass (still $600) has black out dates for Christmas and Easter, so not nearly the good deal anymore. Better off many times just getting a base ticket.
So, in the end, I see little benefit in these benefits. And, no one goes around asking if I'm a "member" any place. I got my DVc points at 40% less than direct. I would buy again without the perks in a heartbeat. Don't be discouraged. Elaine

Seriously..."it is each of our responsibility to know what we are buying". I guess it is also their responsibility to call Miss Cleo to know what the future will bring.

Why do people feel the need to tell other people what they should or shouldn't care about.

:cutie: Thanks for the chuckle, who's Miss Cleo?

I really do get the frustration people are feeling but honestly I think it's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. All of us members still have what we bought. A timeshare providing some pretty awesome accommodations. I'm just hoping some folks that are so upset will realize that it isn't as bad as it seems because they still have what they bought. That has not and will not change.

:cutie: Thanks for the chuckle, who's Miss Cleo?

I really do get the frustration people are feeling but honestly I think it's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. All of us members still have what we bought. A timeshare providing some pretty awesome accommodations. I'm just hoping some folks that are so upset will realize that it isn't as bad as it seems because they still have what they bought. That has not and will not change.

You clearly have this perception that perks and benefits shouldn't be a factor at all and that we should all just be happy with what we bought. The rules changed the other day for people that were in the middle of a transaction, so they aren't getting what they thought they bought. Now maybe they should still proceed and that is the right decision for them, but that is their decision alone to make. So to make comments like you did in this thread is not fair in my opinion. A DVC AP could save a family $800 a year in ticket costs.....that isn't insignificant. Could it disappear next year as a perk to everyone, sure.....but prior to this change it was part of the equation.

It's not so much that you are expected to see the future. Just in understanding what is guaranteed and what is not. I think it wasn't clear to a lot of people and they are realizing exactly what they "own" right now. Bottom line is any buying decision (resale OR retail) should be based purely on the timeshare aspect of DVC and none of the "Membership Marketing Magic". I think if DVC made sense for people a week ago, it still makes sense for 99.99% of them.

You clearly have this perception that perks and benefits shouldn't be a factor at all and that we should all just be happy with what we bought. The rules changed the other day for people that were in the middle of a transaction, so they aren't getting what they thought they bought. Now maybe they should still proceed and that is the right decision for them, but that is their decision alone to make. So to make comments like you did in this thread is not fair in my opinion. A DVC AP could save a family $800 a year in ticket costs.....that isn't insignificant. Could it disappear next year as a perk to everyone, sure.....but prior to this change it was part of the equation.

The problem is, ANY of those perks could have gone away the day after you closed. They could yank the AP discount from ALL of us tomorrow. If it was used in part of the equation, it shouldn't have been IMO.

The problem is, ANY of those perks could have gone away the day after you closed. They could yank the AP discount from ALL of us tomorrow. If it was used in part of the equation, it shouldn't have been IMO.

You said it....IMO. I don't disagree necessarily, but people can make educated gambles. The change the other day wasn't pulling perks from everyone, it was pulling perks from specific people.

No need to tell people that just got a gut punch that it shouldn't hurt. IMO

facebook twitter